The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestalus View Post
Yeah, I just read that - wonder how that'll affect Motu's stuff
Bascially it means that TB isn't going to go extinct in a few years. When the Macbook was unveiled with no TB but USB-C doing exactly the same job (superfast one-in-all port carrying display signals as well), things were looking bad for TB. Apple doesn't typically support two redundant port types for a long time. It actually kept me from buying the Motu 16A, as I didn't want to run into a situation where my next computers (let's say Mac Mini / Macbook Air again) can't connect to the Motu anymore. And no, I'm not buying a Mac Pro.

So now Apple will be able to get rid of the TB connector, which they will surely do, but TB will live on through USB-C, which will soon be part of any new Mac design.

On the PC side I can only guess, but if the ridiculously expensive cables and additional connectors aren't necessary anymore, this might drive TB adoption on the PC side as well. They will still need to put a TB controller on the main board though, I reckon.
Old 6th June 2015
Gear Nut
Latest Ultralite firmware (1.2.2+139) out 3 days ago.
Just installed.
The "save presets from USB in WIN" is still there.
Mamma mia.
How long?
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
Hi mrmiller,

having enjoyed the AVB product line for almost a year now, we are still as impressed as in the first tests. We are running '192kHz-AVB only' for live-perfomance and recording/mixing in combination with analog processing-gear and consoles. The various models in the AVB-platform really make it a complete offering.
We guess that your product development team has still a long list of ongoing software enhancements coming. We have 2 feature suggestions we would like to propose:

1) communications/intercom firmware
In many situations we need a kind of talkback and/or intercom. It could be as simple as the good-old analog 'two-wire/party-line' Clear-Com system. It makes no sense today to run extra analog cabling for this purpose. Of course companies like Riedel and Clear-Com (LQ-2W2) provide AVB/IP based systems, but they are at a price point that does not justify the investment.
If the firmware of the MOTU models, like the 1248 and UltraLite-AVB, could be extended to provide an option to support talkback/intercom, this would be most welcome.
The push-buttons on the front could be used for 'talk' for switching-on a mic-input and another as a 'call' button to have the display-flashing as a 'call' notification allert.

2) 16A studio-controller and 192kHz-crossover processor/DSP firmware
We have not been able to find a suitable high-quality 192kHz loudspeaker DSP system yet. As long as we have been using the impressive quality of the 16A, we have been thinking about using it as a 'listen-select' for various (analog) sources and as a high-end loudspeaker crossover/processor. Besides the basic crossover functions (like: slope, delay, parametric-eq, volume, etc..), we would value all-pass filters as very important. We cannot judge the capabilities of the current DSP, but if this is technically possible, I am sure it would open a new market as there is no current competition and you have the best hardware platform to provide this.

best regards, Theo

I second this as I am currently working with this particular system. I would like to add a request though:

3) Assignable DSP firmware @192kHz
In our live situation we use a 16A at the (analog) mixing desk side and both an 8M and a Monitor 8 on stage. The 8M and Monitor 8 are used not only for the necessary I/O but also to create several monitor mixes feeding wedges and in the future also in-ears. We are running at 192kHz and prefer to not step back to 96kHz, but we would like to have the advantages of the DSP processing. If in a future firmware update DSP could be made assignable so the user has a fixed number of channel strips/reverbs etc. available to use as plug-ins within the DSP mixer that would be a great function. As Theo mentioned we cannot judge the capabilities of the DSP, but if this is possible it could add great value to an already very good system.

Dutchy
Old 6th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
After latest firmware updates, 2 units came up fine. Next time they were powered up, the 2nd unit had lost its enabled AVB streams. That took awhile to spot, since it had never happened before.
After watching this 16A/Monitor 8 system for awhile, it's still rare to have the Monitor 8 come up successfully in sync with the 16A at power-up. The most common error is that it appears synced at first glance, but won't chase clock mode changes and clock mode always comes up as 'unknown device', a reboot of the Monitor 8 is always required to get it to be '16A'. It also continues to lose memory of AVB stream configurations, they have to be reassigned.
Old 8th June 2015
Here for the gear

I'm thinking about a 1248, 16a or maybe a 24Ao but mot sure which one.

I very rarely record more than a single mono or stereo pair at once, so input count is not too important. What is important is how I get the signal into my DAW.

Other things I have are an Avalon AD2022 mic pre, Mytek 192 ADC and a tascam UH7000. Up to now I've been going from the mic into the AD2022, then into the Mytek 192, then into the UH 7000 Via AES/EBU and UH 7000 into the PC via USB. I've had no problems and it sounds great. I want to start mixing OTB so just got an Audient 52 input board.

So my options are keep my input chain the same and just add some nice D-A conversion, but this would mean running both the Tascam UH 7000 and say a 16a, which I'm not sure would work together well.

Get a 16a and go optical toslink from the Mytek 192 to the 16a. I really have a problem about this way, and I'm not sure why.

Get a 1248 and go coaxial S/PDIF from the Mytek 192 into the 1248.

Get a 16a and just go straight from the Avalon into 2 inputs of the 16a. The question here is would the 16a convertors be as good as the Mytek 192's.

Other option is an RME UFX which has an AES input, and use the UH 7000 via AES for 2 more outputs.

PC is a 5 years old running windows 7 64bit and cubase 8 pro.

Mainly record acoustic guitar and bass with small string section and vocals. Drums come from hardware samplers and rack synths.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owned View Post
Get a 16a and go optical toslink from the Mytek 192 to the 16a. I really have a problem about this way, and I'm not sure why.
No reason to have a problem. Should work great. I briefly ran 16A via optical in and out of a 2408mkIII PCIe system, worked well and allowed use of direct hardware play through in DP which is not available directly in the 16A.
Old 8th June 2015
Lives for gear

I'm still interested in hearing from any Windows users how the low latency performance of the 16a is. What's the smallest buffer setting available and what kind of round trip latency are you seeing? Details on your DAW spec would be great (but not necessary) as well as how large of a project you can run at low latency. Mostly I'm interested in playing live VSTi's with the lowest possible latency.

Thanks.
Old 8th June 2015
Here for the gear

Motu Headphone amp seems to work well. I have used the presonus hp60 as well and the motu ones are just as clear. I used custom mold iem so i dont need as much volume as other people might if they are using cans.
Old 9th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
I'm still interested in hearing from any Windows users how the low latency performance of the 16a is. What's the smallest buffer setting available and what kind of round trip latency are you seeing? Details on your DAW spec would be great (but not necessary) as well as how large of a project you can run at low latency. Mostly I'm interested in playing live VSTi's with the lowest possible latency.

Thanks.
Yes please, this is exactly the kind of info I am looking for!
Old 9th June 2015
Here for the gear

Any new firmware updates for windows since 1.2.0

And do you still have to connect both USB and ethernet to do an upgrade.

Where is update 1.2.0, as I can't see it on the Motu website.
Old 9th June 2015
MOTU.com - Firmware Change Log - MOTU Hardware

1.2.2 is out.
I have a 1248 connected by USB and ethernet. I have connected a Monitor 8 and a 112D by AVB. Each of them can be updated without changing the connection.
The Ultralite AVB is still on 1.15 and requires an ethernet connection for the update.
Old 9th June 2015
Gear Head

Feature Request

Dear MrMiller,
I like my 1248, but I have some feature requests:

When using it with 2x or 4x sample rates the counts of the mixer channel reduce by design. If I have two AVB interfaces, I have 2 mixers - but this is not ideal to make headphone mixes, because you have to stream from one mixer to the other.
Is there a possibility in a future firmware update to cascade these two (or more) mixers to one and use the dsp from the other one(s) (via avb-streams?) to have more dsp for channels, buses (aux & group) effects, reverb (more power for better reverb, see above), and new effects ( delay?) etc
(perhaps you could select it in the device window, like a "Mixer Mode - independent / cascade, AVB-Sync Master is the Mixer - all other interfaces are Slave and give their DSP-power via network to the mixer).

That would be a great solution, the more analog inputs/ Interfaces you have, the bigger the mixer would be... (sorry for this english, I don't know if it is correct)

Or another Version would be:
Release an affordable "AVB-Switch 3.0" with USB-3 / USB-C support and with much more DSP ?

Thank you very much for the pan knobs in the auxes! is it possible to get the leveler/compressor also in the aux masters ? I miss them there and must route the headphone mix through a group to get the leveler for the headphones...

Best regards from berlin!

Last edited by GGPS; 9th June 2015 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 10th June 2015
Hey everyone! Sorry I've been rather quiet the past couple weeks (was busy getting married). I'm back now, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelFan View Post
Latest Ultralite firmware (1.2.2+139) out 3 days ago.
Just installed.
The "save presets from USB in WIN" is still there.
Mamma mia.
How long?
We've got it fixed internally; we're just putting it through its QA paces and polishing up a couple other features. We'll hopefully get it to you soon! Sorry it's taken so long.
Old 10th June 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Hey everyone! Sorry I've been rather quiet the past couple weeks (was busy getting married). I'm back now, though!

We've got it fixed internally; we're just putting it through its QA paces and polishing up a couple other features. We'll hopefully get it to you soon! Sorry it's taken so long.
Thank you.
Also hoping for a more rock-solid driver.
Old 10th June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:

Congratulations!!! :
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Addict

Thinking of buying a 16A. I run Sonar Platinum on a PC. Anyone have a system like this and willing to share your experiences with it?
This would have to be run using USB I assume since I don't have Thunderbolt.
I'm curious about the sound quality, and the stability of the drivers on a PC (Windows 7 system BTW).
Any help would be appreciated. I see very little info anywhere about the 16A with a win 7 PC. I've had some folks tell me to forget about MOTU unless you are using a Mac. I don't want to believe this but, I'm not finding much to reassure me anywhere.
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everyone! Sorry I've been rather quiet the past couple weeks (was busy getting married).
Wow!

Congratulations, brother Miller!

Awesome, mate.
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
Feature Request

Thank you very much for the pan knobs in the auxes! is it possible to get the leveler/compressor also in the aux masters ? I miss them there and must route the headphone mix through a group to get the leveler for the headphones...
+1 for leveler on aux mixes
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

How do I update?

I´m not seeing the "more info" button, so I can´t update. Also "update from file" seems to be missing. What am I doing wrong here? The 1248 is connected both through tb and ethernet.
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-skarmavbild-2015-06-11-kl.-22.31.10.jpg   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-skarmavbild-2015-06-11-kl.-22.31.13.jpg  
Old 12th June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post
Thinking of buying a 16A. I run Sonar Platinum on a PC. Anyone have a system like this and willing to share your experiences with it?
This would have to be run using USB I assume since I don't have Thunderbolt.
I'm curious about the sound quality, and the stability of the drivers on a PC (Windows 7 system BTW).
Any help would be appreciated. I see very little info anywhere about the 16A with a win 7 PC. I've had some folks tell me to forget about MOTU unless you are using a Mac. I don't want to believe this but, I'm not finding much to reassure me anywhere.
Hi Rob,
I've been using my 16A since March with Sonar X3 on Win7 machine and have had no issues. The sound, to my ears is better than the RME 800 I had been using and the drivers have been rock solid. It's a great pics of gear and you won't be disappointed.
Old 12th June 2015
Gear Addict

Dfhog: THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the kind of 1st hand experience I've been searching for. It seems to be very difficult to get anyone to commit, specifically, to how it sounds, how stable it is on a PC, etc. Thank you again. I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 12th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by basmartin View Post
I´m not seeing the "more info" button, so I can´t update. Also "update from file" seems to be missing. What am I doing wrong here? The 1248 is connected both through tb and ethernet.
It's a little hard to tell from the URL bar in Safari, but are you connected to localhost:1280? That's the proxy server for connecting over Thunderbolt, if so. Make sure you're viewing the web app via the ethernet cable. The AVB Discovery app should prefer the ethernet port to Thunderbolt or USB if available so perhaps try loading again from there. If that doesn't work, you can navigate manually to the web app via its IP address or Bonjour name (http://1248.local./ in this case, unless you change the device's name).
Old 12th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Using a MOTU AVB Ultralite of Windows 8.1 and so far I am very pleased in the sound quality, buid, etc. Running an Audient ASP880 via adat and all works well in clocking and routing. Originally had the ASP880 running through a Audient ID22 but decided I need some addition analog i/o for external processing. I also like the "live mixer" capability and portability of the Ultralite.

One small problem keeps haunting me, however. Every other day or so I will get an error when attempting to launch (or relaunch in the middle of a previously instantiated session that was running fine) The error is something like, "Unable to communicate with driver" Relaunching the App and/or the DAW does not seem to restore the communication. The only remedy I have found is to reinstall the driver software. At which time the MOTU app works fine for a day or so until the problem reccurrs.

Any thoughts on where to begin troubleshooting this?
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear
Latest firmware
Quote:
Added pan support for Aux sends.
Brilliant! That's great news.
Old 12th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney View Post
One small problem keeps haunting me, however. Every other day or so I will get an error when attempting to launch (or relaunch in the middle of a previously instantiated session that was running fine) The error is something like, "Unable to communicate with driver" Relaunching the App and/or the DAW does not seem to restore the communication. The only remedy I have found is to reinstall the driver software. At which time the MOTU app works fine for a day or so until the problem reccurrs.

Any thoughts on where to begin troubleshooting this?
Is it just the web app that's inaccessible or does audio not work either? Instead of reinstalling the driver, does unplugging and plugging back in the UltraLite, restarting the UltraLite or restarting the computer fix the issue? In the Services application (shows up as "View local services" on Windows 8 when typing into the start screen), what is the status of the MOTUAVBHTTPServer? If blank, does right-clicking and selecting Start fix things?
Old 12th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Is it just the web app that's inaccessible or does audio not work either? Instead of reinstalling the driver, does unplugging and plugging back in the UltraLite, restarting the UltraLite or restarting the computer fix the issue? In the Services application (shows up as "View local services" on Windows 8 when typing into the start screen), what is the status of the MOTUAVBHTTPServer? If blank, does right-clicking and selecting Start fix things?
It's just the web app that becomes inaccessible. In fact during a session I won't even know it has happened unless I go to the app to change some routing or mixing setting - audio passes through fine on the existing settings.

I have closed the browser (Chrome) and reopened it, I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the USB all to no avail. I have also turned off the Ultralite and turned in back on although I have not disconnected the power supply.

I have not tried rebooting the computer because frankly, the reinstall of the driver is a much quicker (albeit lazy) solution

I will try your other suggestions later this day and report back
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfhog View Post
Hi Rob,
I've been using my 16A since March with Sonar X3 on Win7 machine and have had no issues. The sound, to my ears is better than the RME 800 I had been using and the drivers have been rock solid. It's a great pics of gear and you won't be disappointed.
Great to hear from a Windows user. How low do you typically run your buffer when sending multi channel audio through the 16a? Have you done any stress testing to see how hard you can push it before you get any snaps or pops?

Thanks
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmartin View Post
I get half-loaded pages like that pretty often at start-up, reboot of the interface and reload of the browser window (kill it, open another) is usually required to get everything back.
Old 12th June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
Great to hear from a Windows user. How low do you typically run your buffer when sending multi channel audio through the 16a? Have you done any stress testing to see how hard you can push it before you get any snaps or pops?

Thanks
I have the buffer set at 256 samples which Sonar reports as 432 samples of latency (includes buffer and hardware latencies) or 9.8 ms one way, roundtrip 864 samples or 19.6ms. If I push it lower than that I get snaps. Latency is not an issue for me as I monitor the signals from the input of the 16A. Hope this helps!
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfhog View Post
I have the buffer set at 256 samples which Sonar reports as 432 samples of latency (includes buffer and hardware latencies) or 9.8 ms one way, roundtrip 864 samples or 19.6ms. If I push it lower than that I get snaps. Latency is not an issue for me as I monitor the signals from the input of the 16A. Hope this helps!
Hmm.... that doesn't bode well for real time playing of VSTi's. Bummer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search