The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd May 2015
Gear Nut
Just updated my Ultralite AVB.
The "preset saving" problem is still there.
With WIN it is not possible to save preset though USB, only via Ethernet.

MOTU, when is it gonna be fixed?

Also hope for a new driver for WIN, the latest is Feb 18.
Old 23rd May 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryrocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tft
so then, does it work as you expect or need?
It does after I figured out I needed to add a send in the protools channel for mixin 19-20 which corresponded to mixerin 3-4 in the motu webapp.
glad to hear you got it sorted! the routing is really flexible, but needs some "thinking through" sometimes ...
Old 24th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Just noticed the latest firmware updates, along with something fairly inelegant.

Updates have to be over ethernet. Two devices (16A, Monitor 8), ethernet AVB between them, TB to computer. You must disconnect everything and reconnect ethernet from computer to each device to do the update, one at a time. The 16A can't stay on TB while the Monitor 8 is updating, because the computer never sees the Monitor 8 via ethernet until the TB is disconnected.

Can a large network using the AVB switch manage updates through the switch without disconnecting and reconnecting everything? It would have to for it to be manageable in a large plant.

In a two unit system should the slave AVB unit be able to receive updates through the master unit? It would make a lot of sense.

I posted about this before. Huge PIA with multiple units.
Old 24th May 2015
Gear Head

Feature requests

Hi mrmiller,

having enjoyed the AVB product line for almost a year now, we are still as impressed as in the first tests. We are running '192kHz-AVB only' for live-perfomance and recording/mixing in combination with analog processing-gear and consoles. The various models in the AVB-platform really make it a complete offering.
We guess that your product development team has still a long list of ongoing software enhancements coming. We have 2 feature suggestions we would like to propose:

1) communications/intercom firmware
In many situations we need a kind of talkback and/or intercom. It could be as simple as the good-old analog 'two-wire/party-line' Clear-Com system. It makes no sense today to run extra analog cabling for this purpose. Of course companies like Riedel and Clear-Com (LQ-2W2) provide AVB/IP based systems, but they are at a price point that does not justify the investment.
If the firmware of the MOTU models, like the 1248 and UltraLite-AVB, could be extended to provide an option to support talkback/intercom, this would be most welcome.
The push-buttons on the front could be used for 'talk' for switching-on a mic-input and another as a 'call' button to have the display-flashing as a 'call' notification allert.

2) 16A studio-controller and 192kHz-crossover processor/DSP firmware
We have not been able to find a suitable high-quality 192kHz loudspeaker DSP system yet. As long as we have been using the impressive quality of the 16A, we have been thinking about using it as a 'listen-select' for various (analog) sources and as a high-end loudspeaker crossover/processor. Besides the basic crossover functions (like: slope, delay, parametric-eq, volume, etc..), we would value all-pass filters as very important. We cannot judge the capabilities of the current DSP, but if this is technically possible, I am sure it would open a new market as there is no current competition and you have the best hardware platform to provide this.

best regards, Theo
Old 25th May 2015
Gear Nut

This thread is huge!

Are there any posts with soundclips and comparisons between motu and other converters?

Anybody who can help me out with links? (I've tried searching the thread. )

Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

Dan, I think EMRR's loopback comparisons are all we have.

Whilst they show the units to look great, even fantastic, on paper, AFAIK we have no audio references yet.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this...
Old 26th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Dan, I think EMRR's loopback comparisons are all we have.

Whilst they show the units to look great, even fantastic, on paper, AFAIK we have no audio references yet.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this...
Ok, thanks for the answer.

The interfaces been around for some time now so it's strange that no one made any sound comparisons yet. Would have been interesting to listen to.
Old 26th May 2015
Gear Head

But for that you need multible interfaces and the time doing it.... I have only a 1248 and a m-audio fast track pro...
Old 26th May 2015
rlg
Gear Maniac

AVB OSC issue

We are continuing to enjoy the use of our multiple AVB boxes in the studio and live. I have now been looking into making some custom OSC control templates (via TouchOSC and Lemur on iOS) and am getting a bit stuck.

I've downloaded and read the API document, I can connect to the boxes just fine, and OSC widgets controlling the "/mix/..." addresses (e.g. /mix/chan/8/matrix/pan, etc.) work as expected. I cannot, however, get OSC to affect the "/ext/..." or "/avb/..." adresses. Which is unfortunate, as I'd like to control channel trims, pads, sample rates etc. remotely. The API works, as I can control these items successfully via JSON and curl, but cannot do so via OSC.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Again, I can connect to the AVB boxes and control the "mix" addresses via OSC, but not "ext" or "avb".

Thanks in advance for any help/comments/suggestions.
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

We could post audio references all day long, and they'd be mostly meaningless. You would have no idea what the rest of my signal chain is imparting, or how good my engineering is.
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
But for that you need multible interfaces and the time doing it.... I have only a 1248 and a m-audio fast track pro...
Yes, it would be nice with a couple more interfaces. Especially from apogee, rme, lynx.
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
We could post audio references all day long, and they'd be mostly meaningless. You would have no idea what the rest of my signal chain is imparting, or how good my engineering is.
I disagree. Have listened to a couple of such tests and it's been helpful. It can give you an idea of the character of the converters.

And yes, the one doing the tests has to know what he is doing for it to be useful. Everything, cables, levels and so on has to be the same.
Old 27th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan O View Post
Ok, thanks for the answer.

The interfaces been around for some time now so it's strange that no one made any sound comparisons yet. Would have been interesting to listen to.
I planned on making comparisons with my BLA 002, but honestly, I'm just too busy in the studio with the MOTU to take the time. The sound difference (if any) is negligible, and to take time out of my day to do something that won't make a difference to me just isn't worth it
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I planned on making comparisons with my BLA 002, but honestly, I'm just too busy in the studio with the MOTU to take the time. The sound difference (if any) is negligible, and to take time out of my day to do something that won't make a difference to me just isn't worth it
Ok, I understand.

Sometimes there are people that have the time and interest to do it mostly for fun.

And since I've seen som many tests with other interfaces it surprises me that no one done a test with the new Motus. Especially when the test results seem good and the price is very affordable.
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just noticed the latest firmware updates, along with something fairly inelegant.

Updates have to be over ethernet. Two devices (16A, Monitor 8), ethernet AVB between them, TB to computer. You must disconnect everything and reconnect ethernet from computer to each device to do the update, one at a time. The 16A can't stay on TB while the Monitor 8 is updating, because the computer never sees the Monitor 8 via ethernet until the TB is disconnected.

Can a large network using the AVB switch manage updates through the switch without disconnecting and reconnecting everything? It would have to for it to be manageable in a large plant.

In a two unit system should the slave AVB unit be able to receive updates through the master unit? It would make a lot of sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
I posted about this before. Huge PIA with multiple units.

It takes a full round of reboots, both computer and interfaces, to get everything seeing everything else again. Every time.
Old 28th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:

Can a large network using the AVB switch manage updates through the switch without disconnecting and reconnecting everything?
Yes - you just need an Ethernet connection from your Router (either directly, or via a WiFi Extender) into the AVB Switch. Any computer on the same Network can then initiate Firmware updates.
Old 28th May 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks. It'd sure be handy if TB/USB could package/route updates through unit 1 to update unit 2 in a 2 unit system.
Old 31st May 2015
Gear Addict
Control Room Monitoring with Mute, Dim, Talkback and speaker selection.

Has anyone figured an easy way of having control room functions such talkback, dim, mute and speaker selection.
Old 31st May 2015
Lives for gear

After latest firmware updates, 2 units came up fine. Next time they were powered up, the 2nd unit had lost its enabled AVB streams. That took awhile to spot, since it had never happened before.
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
After latest firmware updates, 2 units came up fine. Next time they were powered up, the 2nd unit had lost its enabled AVB streams. That took awhile to spot, since it had never happened before.
I sure hope the day these "anomalies" disappear isn't too far away, Doug. Please continue to keep us updated, mate. Much appreciated.

I've made my first payment towards the AVB interfaces; it'll take several months on lay-buy.
Old 2nd June 2015
Gear Head

This is fantastic news for the AVB series:
Thunderbolt 3 spec announced USB-C connector and speeds up to 40Gbps
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan O View Post
Ok, I understand.

Sometimes there are people that have the time and interest to do it mostly for fun.

And since I've seen som many tests with other interfaces it surprises me that no one done a test with the new Motus. Especially when the test results seem good and the price is very affordable.
FWIW, I went from an Apogee Quartet to a Motu 1248... I don't think I'm hearing much difference at all. But I am thoroughly enjoying the low latency that Thunderbolt provides.
Old 4th June 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJazz View Post
Yeah, I just read that - wonder how that'll affect Motu's stuff
Old 4th June 2015
Gear Addict
Positively

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestalus View Post
Yeah, I just read that - wonder how that'll affect Motu's stuff
Positively. Thunderbolt 3 is backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 1 and 2, and USB 1.0-3.1, with the aid of adapters. It also is a good sign for Windows users hoping to get Thunderbolt functionality on PC.

I'm hoping to see next gen Motu AVB boxes with Thunderbolt 3. I'm hoping the same port can be used either for thunderbolt or usb. I'm also hoping for a bus powered interface since USB Type-C offers 100watts of power. Still hoping for something with talkback, monitor selection, mono, dim and mute functionality built-in.
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear
A question for Mr Miller regarding the Monitor 8 - it does not have Word Clock in or out so my assumption is that it cannot work on internal clock when using any ADAT input, would this be correct?

This is a bit of a pain for me, as my short term plan was to get the Monitor 8 just now (and likely add a 16A down the line), as the monitoring side is very well thought out and would be ideal for rehearsing & tracking our next album.

My Planned setup would involve having 8 analog inputs to the Monitor 8 and also 2 sets of ADAT inputs - one from my UA 4-710D and the other from my Edirol UA1000 (my current interface)

For clock sync, my thought would be that I would use the 4-710D as the master, and send Word Clock out from it to the UA-1000, and then both ADAT streams would be in sync - but this would force the Monitor 8 to be externally clocked correct? (Not that the 4-710D is a poor converter / but I'd prefer not to clock my interface to the ADAT stream if possible)

I'm guessing at some point an AVB network could have some kind of Word Clock distributor add-on? Obviously the AVB Switch currently doesn't have Word Clock out, so this might never happen.

I suppose my alternative would be to get the 16A now instead of the Monitor 8 as it does have Word Clock in and out, and I'd be able to send word clock from the 16A to the UA 4-710D then on to the UA-1000. This would force me to still use the Behringer HA8000 headphone amps though and although adequate, I am assuming the Monitor 8 headphones are going to be a decent improvement on the Behringer unit.

Any input on this would be apprceiated!
Old 4th June 2015
If you only use the Monitor 8 you will need to have it synced to another device when using the ADAT input. Without ADAT connection it is a master.
If you add another AVB device like the 16A, this can become the clock master and the Monitor 8 slaves through AVB ethernet.
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
If you only use the Monitor 8 you will need to have it synced to another device when using the ADAT input. Without ADAT connection it is a master.
If you add another AVB device like the 16A, this can become the clock master and the Monitor 8 slaves through AVB ethernet.
Thanks, that confirms my thinking.

So I need to decide if I want to run with the UA 4710D as master and get the better headphone amps / monitoring flexibility, or get the 16A and use my Behringer headphone amps.

Ideally I would get both, but can't really afford that just now!
Old 4th June 2015
Here for the gear

hey,

Just got a motu avb monitor 8. Works great! Love it. Replaced older motu 2408 mkii with this and it is amazing. Just used it for live gig and was able to create unique mix for each musician and control through smart phone/tablet.
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpguser View Post
hey,

Just got a motu avb monitor 8. Works great! Love it. Replaced older motu 2408 mkii with this and it is amazing. Just used it for live gig and was able to create unique mix for each musician and control through smart phone/tablet.
How are the headphone amps?
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

Headphone amps are reasonably loud, though I haven't had them on a drummer yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search