The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 16th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Yup, it would be a PCIe ethernet card with AVB support. @balijon had success with Sonnet's Presto Gigabit PCIe Pro (Sonnet - Presto Gigabit Pro PCIe Computer Card). You'd connect that card to a MOTU AVB Switch (or other AVB switch) via CAT5e or better along with the other interfaces as if your computer were an AVB device (which it now is, receiving only).
Receiving only? What about the OS sounds and DP's playback tracks and main outs? Sorry if it's a silly question.

How about the OS volume control we just discussed: Same limitation as for USB2?

Need I be concerned about the maximum capacity of such a card or is it as you implied: Just plug it into the AVB switch and 128/128 becomes "instantly" available? Hoping a single card in place of the 424 will suffice; it's a space thing.

Read the manual and site info for the Presto Gigabit Pro PCIe card and there was no mention of AVB. Does this matter?

Quote:
With a 32 sample buffer at 48khz in Logic, you'll see a roundtrip latency of about 400 samples (8.3ms) as of 10.10.3. For comparison's sake, Thunderbolt is 133 samples (2.7ms) and USB is 245 samples (5.1ms).
I could definitely live with that, Mr. Miller. Thank you.

Still have no idea of what the CPU overhead would be using USB2, but I'm guessing it'd be less using such a card, yes?

Knowing nothing about networks/ing, this gives me the jitters a bit. Is there a down side to taking this approach? Would I be out on the fringe? Are there any "gotchas" I should be aware of as far as performance, stability, firmware updates and so on are concerned? IOW, once set up, are there any distinguishing factors between such a system and the TB / USB2 one besides the latency difference?

Yes, a flurry of questions. Hopefully I'm asking the right ones. Going this route, by the sounds of it, could save all my synths. This is a big deal to me!

Thank you in advance, Mr. Miller. I feel pretty embarrassed at this point about all the questions; until the mention of this connection option I thought things had been "finalised" and was ready to advertise the synths and 24I/Os.

PS: If it's as simple as popping the Sonnet card in and hooking it up, I'm amazed I spent almost a year waiting to see if TB could somehow be added to my Mac, and of course for more channels over USB2. I know I'm a goose, but geeez mate!
Old 17th May 2015
Gear Maniac

The 16A is now my studio interface.

I use protools 11 on a mac.

How can I use midi for virtual instruments?
I purchased a usb/midi adapter (iconnect mio) but cannot get it to work.
Old 17th May 2015
Here for the gear

Hi,

I'm new here but I've been following this thread for quite a while. I just have a few questions regarding a system we're planning.

We have 2 studios next to each other and are purchasing 2x 8Ms for each control room. The configuration we've planned for each room is a Mac Pro connected to the 1st 8M via TB, 1st and 2nd 8M connected to an AVB switch, and both rooms connected together with a 3rd AVB switch which will be located in the networking switch room so we can patch through to the rest of the building enabling a future mobile set up.

Does this sound like it'll work fine?

Is it possible to name each 8M so there's no confusion over which device is being controlled?

Thanks for your time, I look forward to getting this all working!!
Colin
Old 17th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
These X99 motherboards do have 'thunderbolt ready' on the board (onboard TB header), but the problem is the availability of the add-on card. It is extremely rare, and difficult to find online. I had an back order from Amazon for three months, and finally cancelled since Amazon kept sending message, 'Still back order, do you still want?' I ordered one from OfficeDepot over a month ago, since they had 'in stock' on the site, but still no show.
Thanks for chiming in Masaaki. Availability seems to be somewhat off but there certainly are places to get the add in PCI-e for ASUS boards. I even have one in stock at a small local shop in Stockholm/Sweden. Here are at least some more to choose from.

Asus ThunderboltEX II Dual - Controller card - Lowest price, specs and reviews

But TB is in no way only limited to the Asus X99 boards. I count no less the 25 motherboards that support TB, some with the Intel z77 chipset that have been out for years and can be found cheap from time to time on different "craiglist"-sites.

All things considered, i am just as you curious about the future of TB. USB 3.1 seems interesting although Intel in no way seems to slow down on TB. The next gen of their platform hitting the shelves this fall will have TB 3.0 (with speeds of 40 gigabits per second). Surely it will find its way on to at least some PC boards.

But you are totally right, TB have really not been gaining much traction on the PC side. It makes you wonder about what "bigger picture" of politics is in the making here. VHS vs Betamax all over again?

USB 3 is supposed to not have the CPU hit of USB 2 due to its more direct and non-polling access to the CPU. It makes me wonder why this platform never gained traction? The bandwidth is a non-issue, and its cpu-efficient. Are there any issues about USB 3 that i dont know of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
That's what I would do if you want conversions of the new MOTU interfaces. They seem to be very fast and good sounding converter, and when combined with RME's PCI/PCIe low latency interfaces (AIO, 9632, 9652, Raydat), you'll have a very solid system.
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Are there any clocking issues to consider when pairing them up this way? Or is the ADAT interface intelligent enough by itself? Do i need to make any other connection besides the optical cables between them?
Old 17th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Hi,

I plan on picking up a 16A and 24Ao to get more outputs for my summing needs. My questions is on connecting the units together on the PC side. Do both units get connected to the PC through USB or can i connect lets say the 16A with USB and than an ethernet cable form the 16A to the 24Ao?

thx
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuscreator View Post
I can understand the need of playing with the resources, but would it be possible to make it so that WE can decide which service we want to fit in? Like OK, you want better reverb? Cool, but then you can't use this sampling rate or this many channels.. You want graphical eq with FFT? Cool, yet again, we will limit the channel count / effects you can use. I could really get used to such a limitation, I only need to plan right that way, but these options are not present now.
Please, please, please consider this. I love everything about my new AVB Ultralite except the reverb which, imo is totally unuseable in its present state even as a sweetner for headphone tracking & monitoring.

Either mine is broken, I am not using correctly or it's the weak link of the dsp fxs. Based on others reports, I think it is the latter.
Old 18th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Receiving only? What about the OS sounds and DP's playback tracks and main outs? Sorry if it's a silly question.
Sorry, that wasn't a very clear way to describe it! What I meant is that your Mac can send to and receive from AVB devices on the network but it's an endpoint. The MOTU AVB boxes, for instance, can be in the middle of a large network or at the ends.

But yes, the Mac sends and receives audio to and from the AVB boxes, including system sounds (if you want).

Quote:
How about the OS volume control we just discussed: Same limitation as for USB2?
No OS volume controls for AVB either (nor for the Mac's digital built-in output either). You could rig up Soundflower to be your Mac's output and then pipe that to the AVB output though.

Quote:
Need I be concerned about the maximum capacity of such a card or is it as you implied: Just plug it into the AVB switch and 128/128 becomes "instantly" available? Hoping a single card in place of the 424 will suffice; it's a space thing.
It's a gigabit Ethernet card and has more than enough capacity for 128+128 channels at 44.1/48kHz. There's no way to use multiple cards, however.

Quote:
Read the manual and site info for the Presto Gigabit Pro PCIe card and there was no mention of AVB. Does this matter?
It's not marketed as such but the chipset they're using supports AVB. balijon noticed that and contacted Sonnet directly for clarification and used it successfully:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10632990-post855.html

Quote:
Still have no idea of what the CPU overhead would be using USB2, but I'm guessing it'd be less using such a card, yes?
It is more overhead than USB2, actually. That's not necessarily an issue—it depends on the given workload whether that's going to be a problem or not.

Quote:
Knowing nothing about networks/ing, this gives me the jitters a bit. Is there a down side to taking this approach? Would I be out on the fringe? Are there any "gotchas" I should be aware of as far as performance, stability, firmware updates and so on are concerned? IOW, once set up, are there any distinguishing factors between such a system and the TB / USB2 one besides the latency difference?
You'd be an early adopter, yes. It's a relatively new feature in OS X and there are only a few manufacturers with shipping AVB devices (MOTU, PreSonus, AVID and some others). You don't really need to do any network configuration, fortunately. If you had a larger network, maybe, but this should be as simple as plugging everything into the AVB ports on the AVB Switch.

Quote:
PS: If it's as simple as popping the Sonnet card in and hooking it up, I'm amazed I spent almost a year waiting to see if TB could somehow be added to my Mac, and of course for more channels over USB2. I know I'm a goose, but geeez mate!
It should indeed be that simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryrocks View Post
How can I use midi for virtual instruments?
I purchased a usb/midi adapter (iconnect mio) but cannot get it to work.
Hmm... that should just show up as a MIDI interface. Does it appear in Audio MIDI Setup? Shouldn't have anything to do with the 16A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradders View Post
We have 2 studios next to each other and are purchasing 2x 8Ms for each control room. The configuration we've planned for each room is a Mac Pro connected to the 1st 8M via TB, 1st and 2nd 8M connected to an AVB switch, and both rooms connected together with a 3rd AVB switch which will be located in the networking switch room so we can patch through to the rest of the building enabling a future mobile set up.

Does this sound like it'll work fine?
Yup, that should work great! An AVB stream can actually hop through up to 7 switches, so 3 is no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradders View Post
Is it possible to name each 8M so there's no confusion over which device is being controlled?
Click the "8M" at the top of the Device tab and type in a new name. That also sets the Bonjour hostname so instead of http://8M.local./, you can access it via http://studio-a-8m-1.local./ if you named it "Studio A 8M 1" or whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by and3x View Post
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Are there any clocking issues to consider when pairing them up this way? Or is the ADAT interface intelligent enough by itself? Do i need to make any other connection besides the optical cables between them?
ADAT is good enough. Just make sure to set the clocks on your devices appropriately so that one slaves to the other. On the AVB devices, you would set the clock source in the Device tab to be ADAT, for instance. Or if you wanted it to be the master, set the clock source on the slave device. Alternatively, you could slave them both via word clock to a shared clock source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demane22 View Post
I plan on picking up a 16A and 24Ao to get more outputs for my summing needs. My questions is on connecting the units together on the PC side. Do both units get connected to the PC through USB or can i connect lets say the 16A with USB and than an ethernet cable form the 16A to the 24Ao?
You only connect one via USB to your host computer. You would link the two interfaces together via ethernet. It will show up as only one interface. It's up to you to route the channels to the 24Ao via AVB streams from your computer outputs.

(On Windows, you can only use one device via USB at once. Same situation practically speaking on Mac but OS X has aggregate devices as a possibility.)

Last edited by mrmiller; 18th May 2015 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Removed stray [/QUOTE]
Old 18th May 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuscreator:
I can understand the need of playing with the resources, but would it be possible to make it so that WE can decide which service we want to fit in? Like OK, you want better reverb? Cool, but then you can't use this sampling rate or this many channels.. You want graphical eq with FFT? Cool, yet again, we will limit the channel count / effects you can use. I could really get used to such a limitation, I only need to plan right that way, but these options are not present now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney View Post
Please, please, please consider this. I love everything about my new AVB Ultralite except the reverb which, imo is totally unuseable in its present state even as a sweetner for headphone tracking & monitoring.

Either mine is broken, I am not using correctly or it's the weak link of the dsp fxs. Based on others reports, I think it is the latter.
+1 for the option to have it flexible!!!

higher quality effects versus lower trackcount, as a choosable option!!!
Old 18th May 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you MrMiller! I figured you could but I really appreciate knowing everything should be alright before spending £4K+ on the MOTU AVB system.

Colin
Old 18th May 2015
Gear Maniac

I have had the unit for days and am still having much difficulty with the routing assignments.

Protools I/O is default.

I have the device setup as a recording interface with headphone mixing.
Analog out:
1/2 is receiving Aux Mix 1/2
3/4 -> Auxmix 3/4
5/6 -> auxmix 5/6
7/8 -> aux mix 7/8
15/16 -> is Main L/R for control room monitors

If I'm working in a protools session, how can I route an individual track to aux 1/2? I've tried adding a bus channel in protools, but cannot see a signal indicator within the Motu web app.
Old 18th May 2015
Here for the gear

@Terryrocks - I'm new to this but what routing do you have setup in the MOTU AVB Routing Grid? Especially where it says "From Computer".
Old 19th May 2015
Quote:
I have had the unit for days and am still having much difficulty with the routing assignments.

Protools I/O is default.

I have the device setup as a recording interface with headphone mixing.
Analog out:
1/2 is receiving Aux Mix 1/2
3/4 -> Auxmix 3/4
5/6 -> auxmix 5/6
7/8 -> aux mix 7/8
15/16 -> is Main L/R for control room monitors

If I'm working in a protools session, how can I route an individual track to aux 1/2? I've tried adding a bus channel in protools, but cannot see a signal indicator within the Motu web app.
Are you planning to use the mixer in the interface to do the submixes or do you want to manage that in Pro Tools? Put another way, do you want your outputs in Pro Tools routed directly to the analog outputs on the interface? Or would you prefer to be able to balance things from the web app? The outputs from Pro Tools correspond to your "From Computer" inputs in the routing grid. It's up to you whether those are routed to your analog outs or into the Mix In channels.

If you want to user the mixer in the interface, you'd route your From Computer channels into Mix In channels and route the aux outputs from the mixer to your analog outputs. You could then create submixes of all the channels you fed into the mixer for each aux.

One of the things that's a little tricky to wrap your head around at first is the To/From Computer routes. It's very abstract conceptually, but it means the channels coming in over USB/TB/AVB are just like any other audio channel and can be routed to any other audio destination, whether that be back into the computer, into the mixer, to an analog/digital out or to another interface via an AVB stream. It's a very powerful abstraction but can be confusing.

If you haven't had a chance yet, check out some of the videos on routing at:
MOTU.com - AVB

and this routing tutorial:
MOTU.com - Tech Tips | MOTU AVB | AVB Routing Tab

And of course, keep asking questions here as they arise!
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Maniac

What i'm hoping for is
Analog ins go straight to daw for recording. Analog outs 15/16 are for monitoring in control room in the daw.

Headphone mixes in live room are feed by aux channels of motu mixer routed to analog outs 1-8. These mixes are not daw but motu dsp.
Old 19th May 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
What i'm hoping for is
Analog ins go straight to daw for recording. Analog outs 15/16 are for monitoring in control room in the daw.

Headphone mixes in live room are feed by aux channels of motu mixer routed to analog outs 1-8. These mixes are not daw but motu dsp.
ok, let's see if we get you routed :

in the routing grid connect your analog inputs to the "to computer"-outputs.
this is what you record in the daw (protools).
connect the "from computer" channels that carry your daw-output (protools) to analogout 15/16 for your controlroom monitor.

then connect your analoginputs additionally to the avb mixerinputs.
then you can do your headphonemixes via the avb mixer.
connect the avb-mixer aux-outputs to your analog-outputs 1-8, that go the liveroom.

your analoginput signals are "splitted" and routed to daw for recording, plus to avb mixer for monitoring.

hope i understood your scenario correctly and you get it going now.
Old 19th May 2015
tft
Gear Nut

also check the settingspage, if you have set the number of mixerchannels you want/need.
otherwise you won't see any in the routinggrid.
Old 19th May 2015
Quote:
What i'm hoping for is

Alright, then you should do something like what I described above. @tft already gave a good explanation above. His answer assumes you only need the live inputs and don't need to monitor through the DAW. Here are instructions if you need to monitor everything through the DAW, for instance, or you're providing backing tracks that people should be able to balance. You may want some hybrid of these two setups, but this is just to illustrate some of the routing possibilities.

But if you only need to monitor the raw instrument signals through maybe some EQ, Compression and Reverb, definitely do what @tft says and route Analog In 1-16 both into To Computer 1-16 and Mix In 1-16.
  • In Pro Tools:
  • Setup your various outputs in Pro Tools so they're broken up as you'd like to be able to submix them, e.g. drums to outputs 1-2, keys to 3-4, etc. However you want to do it.

In the Routing tab:
  • Route "Analog 1-16" to "To Computer 1-16".
  • Route "From Computer 1-24" (or more if using TB or AVB, though Pro Tools limits you to 32 channels) to "Mix In 1-24".
  • Feel free to rename the From Computer channels appropriately (e.g. Guitar 1) so you'll be able to follow your routing easier. If connected via TB, those names should show up in Pro Tools, probably next time you launch if not immediately.
  • Under the "Mix Aux" group, route "Aux 1-8" to "Analog Out 1-8".
  • Route "Main L R" under the two speaker icons to "Analog Out 15-16"

In the Mixing tab:
  • Make sure the inputs you care about are visible via the channel list on the left.
  • Unmute them and set their levels to 0 dB. We're just setting up your main monitor mix for now.
  • Make sure all 4 aux mixes and the main mix are also visible. Similarly, make sure they're unmuted and set at unity gain.
  • You can set up the aux mixes using the aux sliders at the bottom of each channel. That controls how much is sent to each aux. It might be easier to configure each aux independently though. You can do that from the Aux Mixing tab.

That should be enough to get you started, I hope. For more information, take a look at the links I sent you. In particular, check out the section entitled "Sending signal to your unit's on-board mixer" at MOTU.com - Tech Tips | MOTU AVB | AVB Routing Tab.
Old 19th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
ok, let's see if we get you routed :

in the routing grid connect your analog inputs to the "to computer"-outputs.
this is what you record in the daw (protools).
connect the "from computer" channels that carry your daw-output (protools) to analogout 15/16 for your controlroom monitor.

then connect your analoginputs additionally to the avb mixerinputs.
then you can do your headphonemixes via the avb mixer.
connect the avb-mixer aux-outputs to your analog-outputs 1-8, that go the liveroom.

your analoginput signals are "splitted" and routed to daw for recording, plus to avb mixer for monitoring.

hope i understood your scenario correctly and you get it going now.
Whoops—you beat me to it!
Old 19th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, that wasn't a very clear way to describe it! What I meant is that your Mac can send to and receive from AVB devices on the network but it's an endpoint. The MOTU AVB boxes, for instance, can be in the middle of a large network or at the ends.

But yes, the Mac sends and receives audio to and from the AVB boxes, including system sounds (if you want).
Thank you, Mr. Miller.

Quote:
No OS volume controls for AVB either (nor for the Mac's digital built-in output either). You could rig up Soundflower to be your Mac's output and then pipe that to the AVB output though.
Hmm... I assume I could do that for USB2 as well, yeah? Thanks mate.

Quote:
It's a gigabit Ethernet card and has more than enough capacity for 128+128 channels at 44.1/48kHz. There's no way to use multiple cards, however.
Ripper!

Quote:
It's not marketed as such but the chipset they're using supports AVB. balijon noticed that and contacted Sonnet directly for clarification and used it successfully:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10632990-post855.html
Ah, thank you Mr. Miller. Brilliant!

Quote:
It is more overhead than USB2, actually. That's not necessarily an issue—it depends on the given workload whether that's going to be a problem or not.
Still no idea of what range we're talking about here, both for USB2 and ethernet, so I'm trying to imagine comparing this method's "more overhead" to USB2's imagined load and I'm gettin' nowhere, Mr. M. LOL

As suggested earlier, some sort of a ballpark estimation would be tremendously helpful.

Quote:
You'd be an early adopter, yes. It's a relatively new feature in OS X and there are only a few manufacturers with shipping AVB devices (MOTU, PreSonus, AVID and some others). You don't really need to do any network configuration, fortunately. If you had a larger network, maybe, but this should be as simple as plugging everything into the AVB ports on the AVB Switch.
Awesome. I read from this that functionality would be pretty much the same as for TB and USB2. Great to hear, if indeed this is the case, Mr. Miller.

Quote:
It should indeed be that simple!
Mate, for me, nothing's simple. LOL

Thank you ever so much, yet and once again, Mr. Miller!
Old 19th May 2015
Quote:
Hmm... I assume I could do that for USB2 as well, yeah? Thanks mate.
Yes, you could.

Quote:
Still no idea of what range we're talking about here, both for USB2 and ethernet, so I'm trying to imagine comparing this method's "more overhead" to USB2's imagined load and I'm gettin' nowhere, Mr. M. LOL

As suggested earlier, some sort of a ballpark estimation would be tremendously helpful.
It's really hard to give concrete numbers but it will use more CPU in general, especially if you're doing more 64 channels. It's entirely workload and computer dependent. The driver overhead is only an issue if your particular workload starts bumping against the processor's limits. It's also a moving target as Apple revises their new AVB driver driver whereas the USB driver has been around for a while and doesn't seem to change much from release to release. On the plus side, the ethernet card is only $50 and probably easy to return if that setup doesn't work for you. Trying this setup doesn't preclude you from using USB, either.

Quote:
Awesome. I read from this that functionality would be pretty much the same as for TB and USB2. Great to hear, if indeed this is the case, Mr. Miller.
Yup, same functionality, different connector and protocol.
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Alright, then you should do something like what I described above. @tft already gave a good explanation above. His answer assumes you only need the live inputs and don't need to monitor through the DAW. Here are instructions if you need to monitor everything through the DAW, for instance, or you're providing backing tracks that people should be able to balance. You may want some hybrid of these two setups, but this is just to illustrate some of the routing possibilities.

But if you only need to monitor the raw instrument signals through maybe some EQ, Compression and Reverb, definitely do what @tft says and route Analog In 1-16 both into To Computer 1-16 and Mix In 1-16.
  • In Pro Tools:
  • Setup your various outputs in Pro Tools so they're broken up as you'd like to be able to submix them, e.g. drums to outputs 1-2, keys to 3-4, etc. However you want to do it.

In the Routing tab:
  • Route "Analog 1-16" to "To Computer 1-16".
  • Route "From Computer 1-24" (or more if using TB or AVB, though Pro Tools limits you to 32 channels) to "Mix In 1-24".
  • Feel free to rename the From Computer channels appropriately (e.g. Guitar 1) so you'll be able to follow your routing easier. If connected via TB, those names should show up in Pro Tools, probably next time you launch if not immediately.
  • Under the "Mix Aux" group, route "Aux 1-8" to "Analog Out 1-8".
  • Route "Main L R" under the two speaker icons to "Analog Out 15-16"

In the Mixing tab:
  • Make sure the inputs you care about are visible via the channel list on the left.
  • Unmute them and set their levels to 0 dB. We're just setting up your main monitor mix for now.
  • Make sure all 4 aux mixes and the main mix are also visible. Similarly, make sure they're unmuted and set at unity gain.
  • You can set up the aux mixes using the aux sliders at the bottom of each channel. That controls how much is sent to each aux. It might be easier to configure each aux independently though. You can do that from the Aux Mixing tab.

That should be enough to get you started, I hope. For more information, take a look at the links I sent you. In particular, check out the section entitled "Sending signal to your unit's on-board mixer" at MOTU.com - Tech Tips | MOTU AVB | AVB Routing Tab.
First off, does the Motu webapp routing supercede protools I/O? In other words, if I make a change in the motu routing, does it automatically get communicated to protools I/O?

I want my live inputs hitting my daw DRY. I do not want any of the motu dsp stuff on these tracks.

The dsp stuff is only for headphone mixes which come out of analog 1-8 and feed my headphone amp in the live room. I do not want to monitor these with the dry tracks in the mix room. They are for the live room only.

And finally, i have figured out how to get my signals to my aux track for headphones mix.

Last edited by Terryrocks; 19th May 2015 at 06:48 PM..
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Maniac

Tft, my routing is setup as you described.
Old 19th May 2015
tft
Gear Nut

so then, does it work as you expect or need?
Old 19th May 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
First off, does the Motu webapp routing supercede protools I/O? In other words, if I make a change in the motu routing, does it automatically get communicated to protools I/O?

I want my live inputs hitting my daw DRY. I do not want any of the motu dsp stuff on these tracks.

The dsp stuff is only for headphone mixes which come out of analog 1-8 and feed my headphone amp in the live room. I do not want to monitor these with the dry tracks in the mix room. They are for the live room only.

And finally, i have figured out how to get my signals to my aux track for headphones mix.
1) the first question is not clear to me. the driver that streams the audio to your computer has a certain amount of channels. you select specific channels in protools to record them.
the routing grid in the avb app injects whatever you choose into these channels.
so when you change something in the routing, it changes what the audiodriver-channels carry. this is not automatically "communicated" to protools. you have to know what the channels carry and choose them accordingly in protools trackinput menu.

2) when you connect the analoginputs directly to the "to computer" channels, you will get the dry unaltered signal in 24 bit and the samplerate you chose for the interface.

3) congrats for the success on the auxes
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, you could.
This concerns the OS-volume control.

Thank you, Mr. Miller.

Quote:
It's really hard to give concrete numbers but it will use more CPU in general, especially if you're doing more 64 channels. It's entirely workload and computer dependent. The driver overhead is only an issue if your particular workload starts bumping against the processor's limits. It's also a moving target as Apple revises their new AVB driver driver whereas the USB driver has been around for a while and doesn't seem to change much from release to release. On the plus side, the ethernet card is only $50 and probably easy to return if that setup doesn't work for you. Trying this setup doesn't preclude you from using USB, either.
Thank you, mate. I hereby choose to no longer worry about the overhead as I can't seem to extract any sort of guesses from anyone. Guess I'll just suck it and see.

Thank you, Mr. Miller.

Quote:
Yup, same functionality, different connector and protocol.
Awesome.

Take a break, mate; you deserve it. There'll be no more questions from me on this if I can help it. It's just a matter now of selling the gear I have to and getting the money to the relevant folks.

If there're no more questions until such time as I get the units, I'll report back... probably to get clarification on how to set 'em up! Networks confuse the bajeezus out of me, as I think I've already said.

Wish me luck, and thank you again, more than I can say, Mr. Miller, for your patient and informative guidance.
Nicky
Old 21st May 2015
Here for the gear

Hey All,
I've recently acquired a 1248 which I'm running on Win7 and Reaper. I've been enjoying using it thus far, but I was wondering if people using it to do multichannel work know if there's a good way to group a set of mix controls to give a single volume control? I'm creating 6 channel surround assets on the computer, and also monitoring multiple 6 channel inputs from an external source via 6 analogue inputs.

At the moment I'm using three stereo aux buses for FL+FR, SL+SR, C+SW, and routing the audio to my 5.1 monitors via the analogue outs, which is working great, but is somewhat cumbersome if I want to adjust all the levels at once and it would be really great if I could either link the 3 mixer channels somehow - or better still group my 6 channels of analogue inputs and adjust them as a group.

Is this do-able with the group mixes + aux sends? I'm not sure if I quite understanding quite how the routing there works.

Any input appreciated!
George
Old 21st May 2015
Lives for gear

Just noticed the latest firmware updates, along with something fairly inelegant.

Updates have to be over ethernet. Two devices (16A, Monitor 8), ethernet AVB between them, TB to computer. You must disconnect everything and reconnect ethernet from computer to each device to do the update, one at a time. The 16A can't stay on TB while the Monitor 8 is updating, because the computer never sees the Monitor 8 via ethernet until the TB is disconnected.

Can a large network using the AVB switch manage updates through the switch without disconnecting and reconnecting everything? It would have to for it to be manageable in a large plant.

In a two unit system should the slave AVB unit be able to receive updates through the master unit? It would make a lot of sense.

Last edited by emrr; 22nd May 2015 at 12:54 PM..
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
so then, does it work as you expect or need?
It does after I figured out I needed to add a send in the protools channel for mixin 19-20 which corresponded to mixerin 3-4 in the motu webapp.
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Just noticed the latest firmware updates, along with something fairly inelegant.

Updates have to be over ethernet. Two devices (16A, Monitor 8), ethernet AVB between them, TB to computer. You must disconnect everything and reconnect ethernet from computer to each device to do the update, one at a time. The 16A can't stay on TB while the Monitor 8 is updating, because the computer never sees the Monitor 8 via ethernet until the TB is disconnected.

Can a large network using the AVB switch manage updates through the switch without disconnecting and reconnecting everything? It would have to for it to be manageable in a large plant.

In a two unit system should the slave AVB unit be able to receive updates through the master unit? It would make a lot of sense.
Wha? Geez... What flavour of ethernet, Doug? What if your computer hookup is USB only, and if it's an ethernet card, doesn't the computer become the "master unit?. This aspect of it I don't understand yet. I still want the (future) 16A to be the receiving "hub" of a 3 or 4-unit system, with USB->comp if it's 3-unit, or MOTU's switch box->ethernet PCI card if it's 4. If you don't know, no worries, mate.

Thoroughly confused, and I daren't ask Mr. Miller as I've worked him overtime already.
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

The procedure for updating firmware...been covered many times before....not related to standard hookup for audio.
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
The procedure for updating firmware...been covered many times before....not related to standard hookup for audio.
Ah... thank you, Doug.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search