The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Added a Monitor 8 to the overall picture the other day, with the Monitor 8 as AVB slave, it usually locks up in boot mode if the 16A and Monitor 8 are turned on at the same time, requiring a restart of the slave unit. Falls in line if the master comes up first. I see this being a problem in a large facility.
Still happening 100%. Wonder why some people don't have this problem.

It'd be useful if the aux and group assigns had bus specific mutes and solos along with faders. You can see grayed out mutes and solos in the aux mixer, only ones available being the master.
Old 2nd May 2015
tft
Gear Nut

just ran a livegig yesterday (small acoustic duo), with great and stable results!
the motu 112D via usb to the computer (macbook pro 2009, core2 duo, yosemite), outboardconverters connected via madi.
motu clocked from the converters via wordclock (48khz).

i was mixing through reaper, where i already have a complete mix-template. also reaper is very efficient regarding resources. the cpu load was around 30 - 40 %.
five tracks with effects (mostly eq) and masterbus with eq and limiter/analog circuitry emulation. all tracks and master always running through the audioengine over nine hours nonstop.
the usb driver was set to 32 samples.

there was not a single glitch or interrupt throughout the gig!
i was playing myself, so any technical hassle with the rig inbetween is always an untimely burden. now i am really confident with the 112D as the new piece of the setup, great!

the next test will be to mix through the internal mixer of the 112D and control that via ipad.
Old 2nd May 2015
Gear Head
Hi Mr. Miller,

got everything working now and just would like to express my enthusiasm and tell about my DJ/live setup.

Macbook pro running Traktor, Ableton and Maschine, connected via USB to Ultralite AVB.

Traktor decks have their own virtual outs (8 channels), Maschine Banks have their own virtual outs (16 channels), my modular synth uses two analog inputs.
(The goal is to use one of the optical out ports to connect to an Expert Sleepers ES-3, to fully control the modular from within ableton).
All channels are now mixed down in ableton which i use as a giant fx processor.
Ableton's master out is sent over ethernet to my 16A in the studio and it works flawless!

Ultimate goal is to use another macbook pro on stage from another DJ, to stream his audio over AVB to the Ultralite. Gonna try that next week.

So far i'm very very happy!
Old 2nd May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
We're not aware of this issue yet but we'll definitely look into it on our end, make sure we can reproduce it and then work on a fix. You're welcome to file a support ticket. I'm going to file the issue internally and get that process started tomorrow. If we have trouble reproducing it, I'll reach out to you over PM.
Problem solved with the new beta firmware, thank you very much!
Old 2nd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't guarantee that it will work flawlessly. Technology can be fickle like that. What I can guarantee, though, is that if it doesn't, we'll endeavor to fix the issue as soon as possible. We're committed to making the best possible product: it's why I'm here and why we're grateful to all of you for your feedback as we iterate and improve it!
Thank you for the reassurance, Mr. Miller.

I've placed all my eggs in the MOTU basket since day dot on the Mac; it's good to hear, from the horse's mouth at least, that nothing's changed in the way the company goes about its business.

I forgot to ask you about DHP in DP using AVB hardware. Still working on it? I think I can work around it but am not certain; it sure would be missed. EMRR's been asking about this for some time, so the "prompt" is on his behalf too.
Old 3rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry if this is a silly question Mr. Miller, but I need to be certain of this:

I'll need to run perhaps 8 to 10 outs for cue mixes, re-amping and to my monitors. Will this affect the number of simultaneous ins I can use?

In other words, are the USB drivers capable of handling 64 ins at the same time as 64 outs? I've read the documentation at the MOTU site and seen your mention of it here, but, as I said, I need to be absolutely sure.

Thank you ever so much.
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

Cripes, I just thought of this, hopefully-final question:

Before I rush out and sell a bunch of synths to free up inputs for the scale-down to the 64/64 system, is there any chance at all, Mr. Miller, that the input capability could be increased yet again in the future?

My thinking is:

1) From 24/24 to 64/64 might have seemed inconceivable at first, but you did it. I remember your stating that you were shooting for 32/32 in your first efforts.

2) I and many others don't require all those outputs, and the reverse may be true for some, so the obvious question is whether or not it's possible you might provide a means of sacrificing one flavour (input or output) for a commensurate increase in the other.

Either of these possibilities would mean I could hang onto my beloved JD-990, for instance, and ensure a "seamless" transition from AudioWire to the AVB system, at least in terms of I/O configuration. It'd keep potential holes in my racks nicely plugged-up and save a bunch of headaches too, but that's my problem.
Old 5th May 2015
A little tip for those needing EQ on their Reverb: Route the Reverb MIX outs to a mixer channel. Don't forget to turn the Reverb to main volume off and the channel to Main volume up. The routing is extremely flexible and on par with, or even better, than my Yamaha 01V96.
Old 5th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
This same setup should be detachable and movable to locations. I was thinking about positioning recording laptop to a "control room" with UltraLite AVB (for monitoring / talkback pre), then using a long CAT6 cable to connect 16A + 828mkII stack in the recording space. Couple of questions:

1) Audio routing should be quite clear in this "location" setup. How about controlling the setup (monitoring etc) over WiFi in recording space? As the network ports will be taken in both 16A and Ultralite, I can't connect MOTU devices to any router physically. Is it enough if both laptop and mobile device are in same wifi network?
Hi, mrmiller, could you give an answer for this one?
Old 5th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
In other words, are the USB drivers capable of handling 64 ins at the same time as 64 outs? I've read the documentation at the MOTU site and seen your mention of it here, but, as I said, I need to be absolutely sure.
Yes, up to 64 ins + 64 outs simultaneously over USB at 1x rates. Thunderbolt and AVB are 128 ins + 128 outs.

Quote:
Cripes, I just thought of this, hopefully-final question:

Before I rush out and sell a bunch of synths to free up inputs for the scale-down to the 64/64 system, is there any chance at all, Mr. Miller, that the input capability could be increased yet again in the future?

My thinking is:

1) From 24/24 to 64/64 might have seemed inconceivable at first, but you did it. I remember your stating that you were shooting for 32/32 in your first efforts.

2) I and many others don't require all those outputs, and the reverse may be true for some, so the obvious question is whether or not it's possible you might provide a means of sacrificing one flavour (input or output) for a commensurate increase in the other.

Either of these possibilities would mean I could hang onto my beloved JD-990, for instance, and ensure a "seamless" transition from AudioWire to the AVB system, at least in terms of I/O configuration. It'd keep potential holes in my racks nicely plugged-up and save a bunch of headaches too, but that's my problem.
We're near the limits for now. That said, chances are you won't need to use all the inputs simultaneously. Which 64+64 channels are routed to and from the computer are entirely up to you. It's basically an internal, digital patchbay. That means if you have some analog ins that are seldom used, you could keep your analog setup the same but patch them digitally into the computer as needed.

Quote:
Hi, mrmiller, could you give an answer for this one?
Quote:
1) Audio routing should be quite clear in this "location" setup. How about controlling the setup (monitoring etc) over WiFi in recording space? As the network ports will be taken in both 16A and Ultralite, I can't connect MOTU devices to any router physically. Is it enough if both laptop and mobile device are in same wifi network?
Sorry I missed this one! Yes, that will absolutely work. Depending on your network setup, it might not work out of the box but it's definitely doable. I just double checked on my MBP connected to a 1248 and nothing else—phone could see it just fine. The computer connected to the interface is running a proxy web server that acts like the server on the device itself.
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, up to 64 ins + 64 outs simultaneously over USB at 1x rates. Thunderbolt and AVB are 128 ins + 128 outs.

We're near the limits for now. That said, chances are you won't need to use all the inputs simultaneously. Which 64+64 channels are routed to and from the computer are entirely up to you. It's basically an internal, digital patchbay. That means if you have some analog ins that are seldom used, you could keep your analog setup the same but patch them digitally into the computer as needed.
You're right Mr. Miller. I'll probably never use more than the limit of 64 ins at once.

What I'd ideally like to be able to do is have around 70+ outs from my hardware synths permanently hooked up along with perhaps a dozen outs from preamps and guitar processing gear etc. These all need to be able to be monitored as I do now in CueMix; my understanding is that this shouldn't be a problem because this wouldn't involve a trip down the USB buss, only the AVB-summing of said ins to a bunch of outs which'll be monitored from my desk. Is this correct?

If this is so, then the critical question, which you've probably just answered but I'm not clear on, is how I would go about rendering whichever outs I've used from the synths in DP. Right now all I need to do is hit the record buttons on whichever tracks are being used - IOW, I switch from using the blue (DHP?) buttons to the red ones(!). Now, as long as the total number of record buttons I hit engages less than the limit of 64 mono channels, does DP / the AVB system automatically allow me to simply record at this point? To put it another way, regardless of the number of ins I've got hooked up, am I able to simply activate the input channels I'm using (from the MIDI gear) from within DP by hitting "record" as need be? In yet another way: Is this allocation of resources automatic in that once everything's hooked up I needn't give it another thought as long as I don't try to record more than the limit at any given time? I don't want to have to leave DP to futz around with the AVB network or any other app to activate / de-activate channels prior to engaging record as this would be confusing and a creativity killer for me.

This sort of "dynamic", automatic allocation of the USB bandwidth would indeed mean I could keep my gear and run 3 24Ai units for the MIDI stuff and a 16A for my preamps & guitar stuff. The physical total would be 88 ins, but I'd probably never use more than 50 to 60 at any given time.

Sorry the question is so convoluted; it should be self-evident that critical sale and purchase decisions hinge upon your response, mate. No pressure. The joke'll really be on me if I'm unable to extract the necessary information from you. Hopefully I'm not squeezing you too hard, bro'.

Last edited by Monkey Man; 7th May 2015 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Corrected "everythig's" to "everything's"
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry Mr. Miller. I've been meaning to ask this all along and keep forgetting how damned poor I am! Yes, I do go without food and entertainment for my gear!

May I power up the interfaces on an as-needed basis without a penalty the next time I fire up previously-unused ones?

I've found it best to turn all my current (PCI-based) ones on even 'though not all are used at once all of the time. If I don't I sometimes lose aspects of my configuration the next time I employ all of them. I can't even remember now what the issues were as I've maintained this procedure for quite some time, but I think they centred around DP's bundles and also the hardware's channel names in CueMix.

Power usage is an issue for me, so, especially if I'm able to retain the size of my setup and pop the 4 units I mentioned in, idle consumption for any of them is not acceptable.

Thank you again, Mr. Miller. You're a legend, mate. Hopefully this is a no-brainer for you and good news for me...
Old 7th May 2015
Here for the gear

I have a doubt: if I want to record, let say, 16 channel at 44.1 KHz what USB mode is better (less resource... more stable)?
24 channel 44.1-192, 64 channel 44.1-48 or it doesn't matter?
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballantine View Post
I have a doubt: if I want to record, let say, 16 channel at 44.1 KHz what USB mode is better (less resource... more stable)?
To my knowledge it doesn't matter at all.
Old 7th May 2015
Quote:
You're right Mr. Miller. I'll probably never use more than the limit of 64 ins at once.

What I'd ideally like to be able to do is have around 70+ outs from my hardware synths permanently hooked up along with perhaps a dozen outs from preamps and guitar processing gear etc. These all need to be able to be monitored as I do now in CueMix; my understanding is that this shouldn't be a problem because this wouldn't involve a trip down the USB buss, only the AVB-summing of said ins to a bunch of outs which'll be monitored from my desk. Is this correct?
That's absolutely correct. If you only ever need to monitor those inputs and not record them into the computer, you're golden. The 64+64 limitations is just for sending signal to and from the computer.

Quote:
If this is so, then the critical question, which you've probably just answered but I'm not clear on, is how I would go about rendering whichever outs I've used from the synths in DP. Right now all I need to do is hit the record buttons on whichever tracks are being used - IOW, I switch from using the blue (DHP?) buttons to the red ones(!). Now, as long as the total number of record buttons I hit engages less than the limit of 64 mono channels, does DP / the AVB system automatically allow me to simply record at this point? To put it another way, regardless of the number of ins I've got hooked up, am I able to simply activate the input channels I'm using (from the MIDI gear) from within DP by hitting "record" as need be? In yet another way: Is this allocation of resources automatic in that once everythig's hooked up I needn't give it another thought as long as I don't try to record more than the limit at any given time? I don't want to have to leave DP to futz around with the AVB network or any other app to activate / de-activate channels prior to engaging record as this would be confusing and a creativity killer for me.
No, there's no automatic routing—it wouldn't make much sense in the context of these interfaces. When you hit record on "Computer In 17", neither DP nor the interface has any assumptions about what signal is actually feeding it. You could just as easily have "Analog In 13" routed to "Computer In 17" as "ADAT In B 3" or "Main Mix 1". In your case, you'd have a combination of the analog ins and AVB streams from other interfaces routed to the computer ins. If you wanted to change what was routed into the computer, you'd have to go and patch them manually. If you're okay with submixes for some ins (or if some channels are unlikely to be used together), you could route them through the mixer and send that submix to the computer. That would save you some computer channels by consolidating inputs.

The Direct Hardware Patchthru feature in DP does not currently work with the new AVB line. We're working on adding a similar feature to DP for the new interfaces. The easiest thing to do would be to make sure all your inputs are also being patched to the mixer so you can monitor them. Then change your audio patch thru setting in DP or manually mute the record-enabled track so you're only hearing the monitor mix. It's not as flexible as the CueMix line's DP integration and it takes some initial setup. It should pretty much just be a one-time routing setup.

Quote:
May I power up the interfaces on an as-needed basis without a penalty the next time I fire up previously-unused ones?
Yes, though it takes a little bit for the interfaces to start up and re-connect the AVB streams (probably about a minute total). You can save your configurations and recall them later in case you have multiple setups or changed something and want to restore the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballantine View Post
All USB modes are equally stable. We wouldn't release the feature if they weren't. 64 channels is slightly more resource intensive, just because your computer's pushing and consuming more data, even if you're only actively using 16. Same goes for Thunderbolt as well, e.g. if you make 128 channels available and are only using 10.
Old 7th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
All USB modes are equally stable. We wouldn't release the feature if they weren't. 64 channels is slightly more resource intensive, just because your computer's pushing and consuming more data, even if you're only actively using 16. Same goes for Thunderbolt as well, e.g. if you make 128 channels available and are only using 10.
Thank you very much... I didn't notice any difference but I imagined there was some difference and that is very useful to know for live recordings with old computer.
Thanks a lot
Old 7th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's absolutely correct. If you only ever need to monitor those inputs and not record them into the computer, you're golden. The 64+64 limitations is just for sending signal to and from the computer.
Phew. At least I understood that bit. LOL

Quote:
No, there's no automatic routing—it wouldn't make much sense in the context of these interfaces. When you hit record on "Computer In 17", neither DP nor the interface has any assumptions about what signal is actually feeding it. You could just as easily have "Analog In 13" routed to "Computer In 17" as "ADAT In B 3" or "Main Mix 1". In your case, you'd have a combination of the analog ins and AVB streams from other interfaces routed to the computer ins.
So very well explained, Mr. Miller. Thank you.

Quote:
If you wanted to change what was routed into the computer, you'd have to go and patch them manually.
... Using the AVB mixer or the hardware one? My Mackie's just a lil' one for monitoring a few stereo pairs from CueMix (or the AVB equivalent in future), so the physical routing isn't an option I'm afraid.

Quote:
If you're okay with submixes for some ins (or if some channels are unlikely to be used together), you could route them through the mixer and send that submix to the computer. That would save you some computer channels by consolidating inputs.
Brilliant! Again, I hope you're talking about the software mixer here.

Quote:
The Direct Hardware Patchthru feature in DP does not currently work with the new AVB line. We're working on adding a similar feature to DP for the new interfaces. The easiest thing to do would be to make sure all your inputs are also being patched to the mixer so you can monitor them. Then change your audio patch thru setting in DP or manually mute the record-enabled track so you're only hearing the monitor mix. It's not as flexible as the CueMix line's DP integration and it takes some initial setup. It should pretty much just be a one-time routing setup.
Thank you for clarifying this, Mr. Miller.

Quote:
Yes, though it takes a little bit for the interfaces to start up and re-connect the AVB streams (probably about a minute total). You can save your configurations and recall them later in case you have multiple setups or changed something and want to restore the original.
Can't I just run an "all inputs activated" preset regardless of which interfaces I switch off and on, with the AVB mixer / routing system simply ignoring inputs that aren't alive, and updating itself, however slowly, to the current combination of active interfaces? If so, I'd be stoked with this. That way I can base what I'm using on the synths that are on with a simple flick of the power switches.

We're getting there. Thank you for your patience, mate.

On the subject of power consumption, I've never had much luck researching my previous MOTU audio and MIDI interface usage in watts. Some ballpark figures would be useful at this point for the 16A and 24Ai. Further to this 'though, it'd be handy to know the following:

For the 16A, does deactivating some I/O reduce consumption?
In the case of the 24Ai, has foregoing an output bank of DA meant a much-lower baseline demand?

I can almost feel these units in my dirty little paws, mate. I just gotta get me those converters! Thanks to your efforts I'm beginning to be able to envisage a workable AudioWire replacement, although I still fear I'll have to scale down the MIDI hardware-out side of things to make this work seamlessly; simple recallabillity of projects, as I tend to work on perhaps a dozen at a time, is paramount.

Thank you again, Mr. Miller!
Nicky
Old 7th May 2015
Quote:
... Using the AVB mixer or the hardware one? My Mackie's just a lil' one for monitoring a few stereo pairs from CueMix (or the AVB equivalent in future), so the physical routing isn't an option I'm afraid.
I meant the interface's internal DSP-driven mixer, not your Mackie.

Quote:
Can't I just run an "all inputs activated" preset regardless of which interfaces I switch off and on, with the AVB mixer / routing system simply ignoring inputs that aren't alive, and updating itself, however slowly, to the current combination of active interfaces? If so, I'd be stoked with this. That way I can base what I'm using on the synths that are on with a simple flick of the power switches.
Yes, that should work, but your routing is going to be more complicated than "all inputs activated". For getting your inputs the computer, you're going to have to send them over AVB from interfaces B and C to interface A. Then on interface A, route the AVB input streams coming from B and C to A's computer ins. You'll also have some amount of routing those inputs all three boxes to your monitoring configuration through the internal mixers on A and optionally B and C as well.

The configuration and routing you had setup previously should restore itself when you turn on interface B but interface C is turned off. However, in all these situations, interface A (connected to your computer) needs to remain on—it's basically the master interface in this configuration. If you wanted to use B and C independently from A, it's possible but you'd need a very different configuration.

Quote:
On the subject of power consumption, I've never had much luck researching my previous MOTU audio and MIDI interface usage in watts. Some ballpark figures would be useful at this point for the 16A and 24Ai. Further to this 'though, it'd be handy to know the following:
Each interface can consume up to roughly 35 watts. The manuals have more detailed specs as well (MOTU.com - AVB).

Quote:
For the 16A, does deactivating some I/O reduce consumption?
In the case of the 24Ai, has foregoing an output bank of DA meant a much-lower baseline demand?
I'm sure some turning off some of the features would affect the power consumption but I doubt it would be a significant difference.
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I meant the interface's internal DSP-driven mixer, not your Mackie.
Just what I was hoping. Thank you.

Quote:
Yes, that should work, but your routing is going to be more complicated than "all inputs activated". For getting your inputs the computer, you're going to have to send them over AVB from interfaces B and C to interface A. Then on interface A, route the AVB input streams coming from B and C to A's computer ins. You'll also have some amount of routing those inputs all three boxes to your monitoring configuration through the internal mixers on A and optionally B and C as well.
Not sure about the bold part. Perhaps it's my limited understanding of the intricacies of the routing system. I think the first bit you described is what I'd planned to do. Interfaces B, C and possibly D would all arrive through AVB streams to A, which will always be on; it's the "hub" to my desk, the 'puter, monitors and mic / instrument pres etc.

I should have been more clear in my question. Yes, only B, C and possibly D will be switched off some of the time, in various combinations.

Quote:
The configuration and routing you had setup previously should restore itself when you turn on interface B but interface C is turned off. However, in all these situations, interface A (connected to your computer) needs to remain on—it's basically the master interface in this configuration. If you wanted to use B and C independently from A, it's possible but you'd need a very different configuration.
Ha! I should've read this first. Seems you'll approve of my plan stated above.

Quote:
Each interface can consume up to roughly 35 watts. The manuals have more detailed specs as well (MOTU.com - AVB).
Brilliant. Thank you Mr. Miller. I have to weigh up the choice between 4x16As or 1x16A and 2x24Ais, so the total power usage is a factor. FWIMBW, the fact that the 6 D-Subs and their requisite HQ connectors and cabling will cost me a packet makes the 4x16A package a tempting alternative. That way my existing investment in cabling won't go to waste either. The only downside, as I've just learned, is that using only the inputs won't reduce the power consumption, so it'd be 4x35w vs 3x35w. On the other hand the "spreading" of MIDI-gear outs across more interfaces might allow more specific tailoring of power on/off status to whichever gear is being used.

I'm sure I'll lose plenty of sleep over this one!

Quote:
I'm sure some turning off some of the features would affect the power consumption but I doubt it would be a significant difference.
Hmm... makes sense - the 16A has 32 converters and consumes the same amount as the 24Ai which has 24. I thought, because they seemed to get hot, if indeed it's the converters that heat my 24I/Os up so much, that they'd be chewin' up the juice. Seems I placed too much weight on this. Thank you for the clarification, mate.

Once again, thank you for your seriously awesome service, Mr. Miller. I cannot overstate how wonderful it is for me to be able to mine the horse's mouth for gems, so to speak. You guys totally rock, and... I love MOTU!
Nicky
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Head

Just some simple questions:

1. How is the clock termination on these motu avb converters? Is it internally terminated or it has to be done manually?

2. Is there any problem combining motu 1248 with something like prism titan via adat? I like to mixmatch the 'sounds' from both converters for only 16channel otb summing because i know they don't sound alike.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Head

Just some simple questions:

1. How is the clock termination on these motu avb converters? Is it internally terminated or it has to be done manually?

2. Is there any problem combining motu 1248 with something like prism titan via adat? I like to mixmatch the 'sounds' from both converters for only 16channel otb summing because i know they don't sound alike.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Got my 1248 hooked up to my Mac last night. Found that I can't access it via AVB without having an ethernet cable plugged directly between the Mac and the 1248. Apparently it will not work with just USB or just TB cable. I got the firmware updated. Currently it is hooked up with TB and ethernet. Not sure why it seems to need the ethernet cable plugged in to access AVB page. I would think TB would be sufficient. Also, I have to use an old version of the AVB installer (1.0.3). Any newer version doesn't seem to work on my Mac... which is running 10.10.3.

At this point I can't play any of my 96k logic projects. Last night I was getting crazy crackling. This morning it's playing 96k projects sans crackling ... but it's playing them at half speed. The front of the 1248 indicates 48k while the AVB app indicates 96k. Last night that wasn't the case. Last night the front panel was sync'd with the AVB app.

Also, all of my 44.1 projects give me an error... "Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI. Sample Rate 48000 recognized. Check conflict between Logic Pro X and external device". The error doesn't prevent normal playback however. It just continuously pops up during playback. This thing is seemingly stuck in some kind of 48k mode at the moment.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Maniac
This 1248 is a mystery.

I rebooted the 1248 in hopes that it would "unstick" from 48k, and found that I lost the ability to connect to it via web interface. However, rebooting my Mac allowed me access to the web interface again.

Now that I am in the web interface again, I have no ability to control the sample rate. It is stuck in 96k mode. All playback through it is crackled to ****... this includes Logic projects (of any sample), iTunes files, youtube vids, etc.

Changing the sample rate in Logic to 48k does not affect the Motu sample rate... the front panel still indicates 96k as does the web interface.

What is wrong with this thing?
Old 10th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoli View Post
This 1248 is a mystery.

I rebooted the 1248 in hopes that it would "unstick" from 48k, and found that I lost the ability to connect to it via web interface. However, rebooting my Mac allowed me access to the web interface again.

Now that I am in the web interface again, I have no ability to control the sample rate. It is stuck in 96k mode. All playback through it is crackled to ****... this includes Logic projects (of any sample), iTunes files, youtube vids, etc.

Changing the sample rate in Logic to 48k does not affect the Motu sample rate... the front panel still indicates 96k as does the web interface.

What is wrong with this thing?
Try this:
-set Logic to 48k
-open the MOTU webUI and use the "set as clock master" button on the 1248 device page.
-set clock source to internal if it isn't already.
-set to 48k.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

Having ethernet and USB/TB both plugged in at the same time makes the system go crazy in most cases. This was covered much earlier in the thread; august or september of last year. Outside of that, no specific answers. It should work fine with just TB or USB.
Old 10th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Try this:
-set Logic to 48k
-open the MOTU webUI and use the "set as clock master" button on the 1248 device page.
-set clock source to internal if it isn't already.
-set to 48k.
Thanks DAW,

When I turned my Mac & 1248 on this morning, both the front panel and the web interface indicated 48k.

I then opened a new project in Logic which defaults to 44.1

The front panel still indicates 48k. However the web app interface indicates 44.1. When I hit the play button in Logic, it returns the error from before... "Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI. Sample Rate 48000 recognized. Check conflict between Logic Pro X and external device". However, I found that if I manually change the sample rate from the front panel controls to 44.1, I can press play without error.

I also discovered that 96k projects will NOT playback correctly regardless of what I do. They come out crackled.

Keep in mind this is pretty much limited to when I am connected via TB + Ethernet. When I am connected via USB + Ethernet, most everything works normally. The only thing that doesn't work normally with USB is volume control from my Mac... like from the keyboard and also menu bar icon.

-----
The web interface appears as follows...

Device > Configuration

Sample Rate: 44100 (greyed out, cannot change)
Clock Mode: Internal (greyed out, cannot change)
Clock Status: icon of a clock with a padlock
Word Clock: Out (option to change to Thru), Follow System Clock (option to change to Force 1x Clock)
------

So to summarize the problems I'm seeing...

1. I cannot access the web interface without an ethernet connection. I actually do not know if that is to be expected or not. All I know is that I cannot get to the web interface whether USB or TB is plugged in. Both connection methods require ethernet to access the web interface.

2. TB + Ethernet connectivity is not working properly in several aspects.
2a. The 1248 sample rate does not sync with Logic's sample rate. The web interface indicates it is syncing, but the 1248 does not actually sync (per the front panel indicator).

2b. If I manually sync to Logic's clock via front panel controls, it will work up to 48k.

2c. Working at 96k is right out in Logic. Nothing works past 48k.

2d. When the 1248 indicates 96k on the front panel, all playback from any source on the computer (Logic, iTunes, YouTube, etc) is crackled to ****. I have to change to a lower sample rate via front panel controls to have normal audio playback.
3. USB operation for the most part is normal. However, I cannot use volume controls on my computer while in USB mode.

4. The Motu AVB Discovery app does not work properly. It disappears from my menu bar. This is true for any version past 1.0.3. I currently have 1.0.6 installed because I really don't need this app to get to the web interface. However, it should be noted that this isn't working the way it's intended.
Old 10th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Having ethernet and USB/TB both plugged in at the same time makes the system go crazy in most cases. This was covered much earlier in the thread; august or september of last year. Outside of that, no specific answers. It should work fine with just TB or USB.
Unfortunately it doesn't work the way it's intended.

See above.
Old 11th May 2015
Hi nikoli,

I'm sorry to hear things aren't working for you right now. I hope we can get all the kinks sorted out ASAP!

Quote:
So to summarize the problems I'm seeing...

1. I cannot access the web interface without an ethernet connection. I actually do not know if that is to be expected or not. All I know is that I cannot get to the web interface whether USB or TB is plugged in. Both connection methods require ethernet to access the web interface.
There's an issue we've noticed on some systems that might be affecting you here. Some computers have slightly corrupted computer names, for some reason, which causes the AVB Discovery app and friends to crash which might explain why it disappears from the menu bar for you. To fix it, go to System Preferences > Sharing. Delete the Computer Name field and type in the name again or a different one temporarily. After that, the AVB app should work correctly. Maybe give your computer a restart after that.

If the Discovery app is no longer crashing, I'd try disconnecting the ethernet. Hopefully you can now access the web app. If still not, try manually going to http://localhost:1280/. If neither of those work, we've got some more troubleshooting ahead of us!

Quote:
2. TB + Ethernet connectivity is not working properly in several aspects.
2a. The 1248 sample rate does not sync with Logic's sample rate. The web interface indicates it is syncing, but the 1248 does not actually sync (per the front panel indicator).

2b. If I manually sync to Logic's clock via front panel controls, it will work up to 48k.

2c. Working at 96k is right out in Logic. Nothing works past 48k.

2d. When the 1248 indicates 96k on the front panel, all playback from any source on the computer (Logic, iTunes, YouTube, etc) is crackled to ****. I have to change to a lower sample rate via front panel controls to have normal audio playback.
As others have said, combining both ethernet and TB on the same computer can be kind of wonky because Core Audio might try to control the device via AVB simultaneously. Go to Audio MIDI Setup. Select Window > Show Network Device Browser and make sure that the 1248 is unchecked if it's present in there. That should stop Core Audio from trying to use it directly as an AVB device.

Really, though, you shouldn't need ethernet connected at the same time as Thunderbolt. Once you've tried changing the computer name as above, hopefully you won't need the ethernet connected any more.

Also, you definitely should be running the latest version of the drivers, not 1.0.3. The Thunderbolt drivers and firmware are co-dependent so having one very far out of date probably isn't good.

Finally, what do you mean "syncing to Logic's clock"? Do you mean just following the session's sample rate? I have a feeling running with ethernet disconnected or disabling it in Audio MIDI Setup's Network Device Browser should resolve that issue.

Quote:
3. USB operation for the most part is normal. However, I cannot use volume controls on my computer while in USB mode.
That's correct, we only support the OS volume controls option when using Thunderbolt.

Quote:
4. The Motu AVB Discovery app does not work properly. It disappears from my menu bar. This is true for any version past 1.0.3. I currently have 1.0.6 installed because I really don't need this app to get to the web interface. However, it should be noted that this isn't working the way it's intended.
I'm hoping the computer name fix will resolve this issue.
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hi nikoli,

I'm sorry to hear things aren't working for you right now. I hope we can get all the kinks sorted out ASAP!

There's an issue we've noticed on some systems that might be affecting you here. Some computers have slightly corrupted computer names, for some reason, which causes the AVB Discovery app and friends to crash which might explain why it disappears from the menu bar for you. To fix it, go to System Preferences > Sharing. Delete the Computer Name field and type in the name again or a different one temporarily. After that, the AVB app should work correctly. Maybe give your computer a restart after that.

If the Discovery app is no longer crashing, I'd try disconnecting the ethernet. Hopefully you can now access the web app. If still not, try manually going to Congratulation. If neither of those work, we've got some more troubleshooting ahead of us!

As others have said, combining both ethernet and TB on the same computer can be kind of wonky because Core Audio might try to control the device via AVB simultaneously. Go to Audio MIDI Setup. Select Window > Show Network Device Browser and make sure that the 1248 is unchecked if it's present in there. That should stop Core Audio from trying to use it directly as an AVB device.

Really, though, you shouldn't need ethernet connected at the same time as Thunderbolt. Once you've tried changing the computer name as above, hopefully you won't need the ethernet connected any more.

Also, you definitely should be running the latest version of the drivers, not 1.0.3. The Thunderbolt drivers and firmware are co-dependent so having one very far out of date probably isn't good.

Finally, what do you mean "syncing to Logic's clock"? Do you mean just following the session's sample rate? I have a feeling running with ethernet disconnected or disabling it in Audio MIDI Setup's Network Device Browser should resolve that issue.

That's correct, we only support the OS volume controls option when using Thunderbolt.

I'm hoping the computer name fix will resolve this issue.

Well, progress was certainly made. But we're not out of the woods just yet.

I shut the 1248 off, unplugged the ethernet cable, changed the host name and rebooted. I noticed the Discovery app remained in the menu bar this time. I then switched the 1248 back on and was then able to access it via Discovery app. #success

It was in 48k mode. I then opened a 44.1k project in Logic and the front panel indicated 44k. (BTW, this is what I meant by "syncing to Logic's clock") #success

I then opened a 96k project in Logic. The front panel indicated 96k. However, playback was crackled. I opened iTunes and playback was crackled. I closed the 96k project and opened the 44.1k project and verified the front panel indicated 44k. I then went back to iTunes and playback was normal.

So it seems we still have a problem with 96k via TB.
Old 11th May 2015
Gear Maniac
Hang on... think I got the 96k problem figured out.

I have a TB hard drive enclosure for my two SSD drives... (one is my system drive, the other is my "Logic" drive which contains all the audio files). The enclosure has two TB ports on it. I had the 1248 daisy chained into the 2nd TB port on the enclosure. When I plugged directly to the 2nd TB port on my Mac... 96k projects played normally.

So perhaps the 1248 doesn't like being at the end of a TB chain? Maybe not enough bandwidth for the 96k files and such?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search