The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd April 2015
Here for the gear

I have some little problem with my 1248. Sometimes it doesn't emits any sound and I noticed that in the upper right of the display it shows 192 KHz.
If I go on the control panel and I change manually the sample rate to 44.1 it works again normally.
Other times it says the regular 44.1K but it doesn't sound either. Actually, this happens every time I walk away from my mac for few minutes... I think it could be something related with the power saving because if I work for hours without leaving my position never happens.

I tried with different Macs (MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac) with USB connection and I always have the same problem.
Is this something related with USB connection?
Old 23rd April 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballantine View Post
in the upper right of the display it shows 192 KHz. Other times it says the regular 44.1K but it doesn't sound either.
Are the numbers flashing or are they solid ?

Christian
Old 23rd April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzfilth View Post
Are the numbers flashing or are they solid ?

Christian
Solid
Old 23rd April 2015
I measured the round trip latency ( to print tracks using outboard, wish DP had this built in like PT and Logic) - of my 16As running at 88.2 and came out with 45 samples. Pretty dang good.

There's plug-in called Latency Fixer, that once you input your latency, will compensate. Saves a lot of time and is probably more accurate than visually lining things up. You put it on your original track.

Mr. Miller any plans to add hardware compensation to DP 9?
Old 23rd April 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballantine View Post
Solid
Hm. Flashing would have pointed to a clock issue (which my 8M had).

Putting a Mac to sleep with active hardware attached is known to cause all sort of problems, including yours.

Christian
Old 23rd April 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akysz View Post
anybody had a problem to connect A16 thru USB ?
I've just bought new interface, all drivers are downloaded OK the way it should be [drivers before connecting device]
Device seems it is working alone, I can change parameters on the front panel but... my computer don't see it. No devices found.
And drivers work properly but cannot run the device...

I tried two different usb cables and two different computers one with WIN7 64bit and second WIN8 64bit.
drivers 1.1 ver.

Thanks for any help in advance....
which host did you try? did you look for asio drivers?
connect to the device with a webbrowser and check the settings. maybe you need to configure it correctly.
Old 24th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
which host did you try? did you look for asio drivers?
connect to the device with a webbrowser and check the settings. maybe you need to configure it correctly.
Yeah, thanks to MOTU suport I resolved that problem and after connection via Ethernet I upgraded software to the newest version. now My computer can see the unit, but I have a problem with clips and pops all the time like very old vinyl
It is the same with 64 or 8k samples so I think I have to find a solution in my computer. It is not wi-fi, I already checked it.
At this moment I have no idea and wait for next Supprot's team answer.
Old 24th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzfilth View Post
Hm. Flashing would have pointed to a clock issue (which my 8M had).

Putting a Mac to sleep with active hardware attached is known to cause all sort of problems, including yours.

Christian
Actually, Macs are usually very good with power management and external devices. They go to sleep and wake up with devices attached (and programs open) and I never have problems.
Even my old Traveler mk3 doesn't give me problems... But it's connected via FireWire. Is it maybe something related to usb connection?

Can someone please confirm the behavior with thunderbolt connection? I don't have a cable right now, but I can buy a long one (pretty expensive) if it can help.

I can't use audio via Ethernet, right?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th April 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah, thanks to MOTU suport I resolved that problem and after connection via Ethernet I upgraded software to the newest version. now My computer can see the unit, but I have a problem with clips and pops all the time like very old vinyl
It is the same with 64 or 8k samples so I think I have to find a solution in my computer. It is not wi-fi, I already checked it.
At this moment I have no idea and wait for next Supprot's team answer.
you could also check for samplerate mismatch ...

anyway good luck.
hope your problems get solved soon, so you can enjoy the unit!
Old 24th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
you could also check for samplerate mismatch ...

anyway good luck.
hope your problems get solved soon, so you can enjoy the unit!
i tried from standard to extra latency with 44.1
still wait for support's help .
Old 24th April 2015
one more thing.
One canal is louder. when I turn off volume knob, the right is still playing.
A16 is set as an interface, all trim and other mix volumes are the same?
Could anybody help me with this situation?
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Head

Anyone have the RTL Utility numbers for the 1248 or 8m? Preferably with Win/USB.

mrmiller mentioned in a post a few months ago that they were improving the numbers with newer drivers, curious to see what they are.

Also, what numbers does the DAW show as reported latency? (example, reaper shows in/out numbers in the top right)
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Addict

Do you need an Internet connection to record and access the internal control panel? Seems like that's the deal.

I'm hoping I could use the 1246 and be able to record and control the inputs and everything else without Internet.

Thanks
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

You don't need to be connected to the Internet, and you don't even need to be connected through a router if you're controlling the hardware from a computer that is hooked up via usb or tb. Otherwise you'd only need to be connected to it through a network (ie no internet required)
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Addict

I think I got it.
If connected through TB, no router or web required. That's good!

Anyone using this with 500 series lunch boxes in 5-8 inputs on the back? What do you think?

I'm stuck between the MOTU 1246 or Apollo. Decisions, decisions....
Old 26th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Since the 1.2.0+931 firmware update, opening a DP project with a different sample rates causes DP to freeze if left unattended on startup. Force quit is required, with DP listed as 'not responding'. Many times forcing the 16A to switch sample rates to match the project will do nothing, usually the 16A switching back to the rate it booted with. Sometimes it'll work and DP will finally open, but always with 'MOTU audio system turned off'. This was never the case before this last update.
3.4 i7 Imac, 10.9.5, DP8.07.
I'm finding the above is still true, you have to set the sample rate before you open DP or DP locks up....one doesn't always know the sample rate of an incoming project.

Added a Monitor 8 to the overall picture the other day, with the Monitor 8 as AVB slave, it usually locks up in boot mode if the 16A and Monitor 8 are turned on at the same time, requiring a restart of the slave unit. Falls in line if the master comes up first. I see this being a problem in a large facility.
Old 26th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I'm finding the above is still true, you have to set the sample rate before you open DP or DP locks up....one doesn't always know the sample rate of an incoming project.

Added a Monitor 8 to the overall picture the other day, with the Monitor 8 as AVB slave, it usually locks up in boot mode if the 16A and Monitor 8 are turned on at the same time, requiring a restart of the slave unit. Falls in line if the master comes up first. I see this being a problem in a large facility.
HMMmm.....I have two 16As w/one set up as an AVB slave connected to a Furman that powers them on the same time w/no problems.
Old 26th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
HMMmm.....I have two 16As w/one set up as an AVB slave connected to a Furman that powers them on the same time w/no problems.
OK, good to know.
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrilo View Post
Anyone have the RTL Utility numbers for the 1248 or 8m? Preferably with Win/USB.
Not for Windows. But I have the numbers for USB on OSX. I have a mid 2012 retina Macbook Pro with base configuration.

44.1 / USB 2.0

256 - 15.9 ms
128 - 10.1 ms
64 - 7.21 ms
32 - 6.49 ms

Left number is the buffer size I set in Ableton. With Thunderbolt the RTL is more or less half as long.

Edit: These numbers are from the 16A. But I guess they're the same for the 1248 and 8M.
Old 27th April 2015
Here for the gear

Error 404 on 1248

I have just bought the new Motu 1248 and the quick setup works properly except for «Interface + Mixing» where I receive a 404 code error. The 1248 is not existing! It is pluged via Thunderbolt. I've got all the latest drivers and update for MAC. I've tried via USB and I got the same error code. Somebody can help me please ? Thank'S
Old 27th April 2015
Lives for gear

Do any of the other presets work? Can you see the 1248 from the AVB Discovery app on your computer, and manually assign connections? Or is it not found at all with the app?
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
i tried from standard to extra latency with 44.1
still wait for support's help .
I also have WIN. I have WIN 8.

I fixed the clicks and pops configuring WIN to stay always at highest performance power options. This is the way to go.

I think MOTU drivers require that.

Now, after all, my Ultralite AVB is running smoothly at 3.9/3.9 ms latency, which is OK.
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
Not for Windows. But I have the numbers for USB on OSX. I have a mid 2012 retina Macbook Pro with base configuration.

44.1 / USB 2.0

256 - 15.9 ms
128 - 10.1 ms
64 - 7.21 ms
32 - 6.49 ms
Thanks for posting these. I imagine the win usb driver is close to those numbers. I was hoping for a little better results similar to the RME usb range, or at least my ancient motu FW stuff, but they are close and if they perform well and are stable that is more important to me, I just like to daw monitor when I can especially with amp sims and vi's. Also, not to mention there might be some hidden buffers as on the previous page someone mentioned he was getting 45 sample delay when printing tracks, but there might have been some other variables going on there.

Guess I need to get onboard with thunderbolt, though the adoption rate on the windows side is nonexistent on oem builds so I am sure that will delay motu releasing the windows thunderboldt driver if ever.
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Maniac
Is anyone using 2 Motu AVB interfaces which are connected with each other per AVB? How's your experience?

I run a 16A connected with thunderbolt to my mac and the 16A is connected to a 8M per AVB. For me it's not stable at all. Sometimes it happens that the 8M stops sending over AVB. It just randomly stops sending from the 8M to the 16A but still works in the opposite directions. 10 minutes later it works again without me doing anything. Just pure randomness... Sometimes the 8M can't be found over AVB and I can't control it (even after restarting my setup over and over). Then there's the "8-bit" mode happening from time to time which I mentioned already in 2 post (someone else in thread had the same problem). Really frustrating. Is it just me or have others had similar experiences?

I'm running the latest drivers btw. Please Motu fix these problems before thinking about new features and crazy stuff to implement. We want these Interfaces to run in big venues and setups and at the moment they're not doing the job they're advertised to do.

Here's a recording of the "8-bit" mode. I played music in itunes, then sent it through AVB from the 16A to the 8M and back, and recorded it in Ableton. Every 2 minutes or so this high pitched squeal set in and stayed for about a minute.

http://picosong.com/XS5q/

Last edited by kirky; 27th April 2015 at 12:51 PM..
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I was hoping for a little better results similar to the RME usb range, or at least my ancient motu FW stuff, but they are close and if they perform well and are stable that is more important to me,
I have the numbers for the Fireface 802 too. Same setup but with USB 3.0 (which is even faster than firewire 800) so not really a fair comparison.

Fireface 802

44.1 USB 3:0
256 - 13.6 ms
128 - 7.78 ms
64 - 4.88 ms
32 - 4.15 ms

If you're just looking for a stable interface with low latency, the RME fireface 802 are superb!
I decided for the Motu because thunderbolt is a tick faster than USB 3.0. And mainly because of the AVB possibilites. How well that's going for me in terms of stability... well read my other posts. (Spoiler: not well.)
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
I have the numbers for the Fireface 802 too. Same setup but with USB 3.0 (which is even faster than firewire 800) so not really a fair comparison.
Your Fireface 802 doesn't run at USB3. It's USB2. And the Motu TB units have shorter latency: 135 samples at 32 samples buffer according to Mr. Miller, equalling 3ms at 44.1kHz.
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJazz View Post
Your Fireface 802 doesn't run at USB3. It's USB2. And the Motu TB units have shorter latency: 135 samples at 32 samples buffer according to Mr. Miller, equalling 3ms at 44.1kHz.
True. The fireface 802 has Usb 2.0. I confused it with the madiface XT by RME which has USB 3.0.
So the numbers I gave are for USB 2.0.

Concerning the Motu latency:
I went to a shop before I bought the Motu interfaces and tested the latency with USB. These we're the numbers Ableton gave me. I can't comment on the correctness of abletons RTL calculator. But something to note is that the interfaces in the shop were running firmare 1.0. They've improved USB latency since then.
Old 27th April 2015
Quote:

Fireface 802

44.1 USB 3:0
256 - 13.6 ms
128 - 7.78 ms
64 - 4.88 ms
32 - 4.15 ms

If you're just looking for a stable interface with low latency, the RME fireface 802 are superb!
I decided for the Motu because thunderbolt is a tick faster than USB 3.0. And mainly because of the AVB possibilites. How well that's going for me in terms of stability... well read my other posts. (Spoiler: not well.)
I measured the 802 USB: 4.522 ms @ 64 samples. Analog roundtrip. ADAT roundtrip = 4.082ms.

MOTU figures coming up, I am struggling with my own latency... heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJazz View Post
Your Fireface 802 doesn't run at USB3. It's USB2.
Correct, it doesn't matter whether it is connected to USB2 or 3.
Old 27th April 2015
Quote:
...Also, not to mention there might be some hidden buffers as on the previous page someone mentioned he was getting 45 sample delay when printing tracks, but there might have been some other variables going on there....
I got that via thunderbolt w/the buffer at 512 - SR 88.2. Apparently buffer size doesn't have an affect, but I haven't tested it.
Old 27th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post

We're listening and brainstorming ways to improve things. The reverb algorithm is somewhat constrained by DSP resources on the box at this point. Most major changes would mean less DSP for EQs and compressors. That may end up being a worthwhile tradeoff but we still need to look into it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmuzic View Post
Mr. Miller,

Thanks for your continued information and replies on this forum. The information you are providing is a great help to everyone involved. Also, thanks for this reply to the specific topic of the AVB Reverb.

The marketing copy for the Ultralite AVB claims that it has twice the DSP power of earlier models. However, the Ultralite Mk3 and 828 mk3 run cuemixfx with what seem to be very similar EQ and compression on each channel and each bus, but with what seems like much better sounding reverb with 4 room choices (probably a more complicated reverb algorithm).

How is it that the Ultralite AVB, with more processing power, doesn't have enough power left for at least the same quality reverb processing as the older model? Are we to assume that running the browser based mixer on the AVB boxes consumes more processing power than the stand-alone mixing offered on the Mk3 models? Is it because of this web based mixer being hosted on the AVB boxes themselves that the Reverb algorithm had to be simplified and this caused the sound quality to be lesser than the Reverb of the Mk3?

Again, I appreciate the feedback you have provided, even though this is disappointing to hear. I was very excited with the release of the new Ultralite AVB, specifically for the control offered from phones and tablets, along with improved sound quality. However, the step back in Reverb quality is not worth it for me, as that is one of the main reasons I use the Ultralite - for a very high quality digital mixer for live sound with a very small footprint.
Still no further information here regarding answers to the questions I posed above about the limited DSP resources for reverb... In comparing my Ultralite MK3 Hybrid with my Ultralite AVB, my live vocal and acoustic guitar mix sounds better on the MK3 with the better quality reverb being obvious, so I am going to try to sell the Ultralite AVB to try to recoup my investment. Feel free to send me a private message on here if anyone is interested in purchasing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search