The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
If you need DB25, Im sure you could wire up a TRS to DB25 cable adapter.
Really?
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
Really?
Or buy one...

http://www.rubadub.co.uk/media/catal...sadtp802_1.jpg
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Daisy-chaining Thunderbolt on these interfaces would have been nice...

But pair them with a new Mac Pro... 6 TB ports... no problem.

And when we see a new Mac Mini... ethernet & FW gone obviously... and 3 more TB ports would fit on the back of the current form-factor in their place... giving a total of 4 as a possibility.... but who knows??

And some of the desirable TB hard drive options do offer daisy-chaining.

OWC has a nice choice with the ThunderBay IV...

MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-thunderbay_gall3_large.jpg
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

I don't see apple ditching Ethernet anytime soon, but you're probably right about them adding more TB ports on their new devices.

Let's wait and see...
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
Daisy-chaining Thunderbolt on these interfaces would have been nice...

But pair them with a new Mac Pro... 6 TB ports... no problem.

And when we see a new Mac Mini... ethernet & FW gone obviously... and 3 more TB ports would fit on the back of the current form-factor in their place... giving a total of 4 as a possibility.... but who knows??

And some of the desirable TB hard drive options do offer daisy-chaining.

OWC has a nice choice with the ThunderBay IV...

Attachment 409530
Which is why I specifically got a Drobo mini and a CalDigit dock - they both had 2 TB ports...also there are many potential customers who have MBP's - a huge potential market, and it is debilitating for some to not have that second TB port.

Motu just dropped the ball on this one, no question about it - just as UA did with the Twin. There will be customers who pass only because of a lack of a second TB port...it might be irrational, but hey there will be those who will hold out for an interface that does have it...
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
I don't see apple ditching Ethernet anytime soon, but you're probably right about them adding more TB ports on their new devices.

Let's wait and see...
No ethernet on any of Apple's current laptops.

And the Mini tends to be a notebook derivative... but hard to say what will be.

Apple's TB to Ethernet dongle works fine when needed.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
No ethernet on any of Apple's current laptops.

And the Mini tends to be a notebook derivative... but hard to say what will be.

Apple's TB to Ethernet dongle works fine when needed.
A TB dock takes care of that issue - 2 TB ports, FW, cat5, HDMI, extra USB, etc...

if a $199 dock can have 2 TB ports and all that...motu made a bad miscalculation saving a few bucks on omitting it...
Old 28th July 2014
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

For those users with a non-retina MBP, keep in mind you can install a second SSD hard drive by removing the DVD player, and have an audio record drive on the PCIe bus. No need for an external TB drive, or a TB through on the MOTU. If you need to connect an external monitor as well, you can purchase a TB hub (like the Belkin), or a TB Cinema Display which has two TB ports. Retina MBP users, and new iMac users have two TB ports to start, and new Mac Pro users have 6.

Not saying these new MOTU devices are for everyone, but for majority of regular users (with simple setups), there are options and workarounds available.

On another note, I would also like to see a proper Thunderbolt hub in the near future. One TB in, Six out. Nothing more. No usb/ethernet/firewire/audio. Just TB.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
Really?
Definitely. If you can't make your own, plenty of places sell DB25 - TRS looms already pre-made.

Regards,
Frank
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Also half the quality of the Orion.
So I guess you've heard it already and done the extensive (and scientific) testing that would warrant such a claim ?.

Gheez, how about someone actually listens to the the thing before rendering an opinion. Of course, that wouldn't be much like Gearslutz, would it ?

Cdlt
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

These interfaces do certainly look interesting. I'm keen to know if the preamps have been improved to the previous interfaces? Also, ideally I'd prefer a half rack version as I don't need all the I/O of these.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I'm keen to know if the preamps have been improved to the previous interfaces?
They advertise 53db of gain for the 8M's preamps. If that's really maximum gain.... then it sounds like they're going to be the same wimpy, low-gain preamps of MOTU past. Ugh!

Otherwise, very exciting product line-up! (Pre-amps are my only real complaint on MOTU hardware.)
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
They advertise 53db of gain for the 8M's preamps. If that's really maximum gain.... then it sounds like they're going to be the same wimpy, low-gain preamps of MOTU past. Ugh!

Otherwise, very exciting product line-up! (Pre-amps are my only real complaint on MOTU hardware.)
Actually they advertise 63db of mic preamp gain:

MOTU.com - Tech Specs
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Actually they advertise 63db of mic preamp gain:

MOTU.com - Tech Specs

They advertise 53dB on the product overview. 4th section down under the "Precision Trim" section.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiege View Post
They advertise 53dB on the product overview. 4th section down under the "Precision Trim" section.
They have published conflicting info...

Time for someone at MOTU to correct.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Although I'm sure their products have improved over the years since I wound them. I used an 828mkII years ago, although drivers were very good, when I went to a Digi 003 and it was like taking a blanket off the monitors and the Digi 003 was never known for great conversion. Keep in mind, this was when the 003 just came out, so keep conversion history into perspective.

Today, I am very happy with my 192 i/o and my Aurora 16. I've thought about adding an Omni into the mix, just to "Hear" what all the fuss is about. For all I know, its like lifting a blanket off the monitors all over again.

I do find the units to be compelling though based on what they say they can do. I'd love to hear the LA2A style compressor and the quality of the reverb. Those two are really all that is typically "Needed" for tracking.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Is the thunderbolt connection going to work with windows 8.1 or is it going to be a mac only thing like apollo?
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
They have published conflicting info...

Time for someone at MOTU to correct.
MOTU has made the fix... 53 vs 63....

Both pages say 53db now.
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
Looks great(!)

I recently ordered the RME RayDat + Ferrofish converters, I will use them for a while then I plan to move to a solution where I can track 32 channels at 88.2/24.

Will be a hard decision. We will see how it performs, but I will research about which of these will be better. Really excited for both options I must confess.

#1) RME MADI FX PCIe card + Antelope Orion 32 / $4.299
#2) MOTU 1248 + MOTU 16A + MOTU AVB switch / $3.285

I'm on a beast PC, WIN7 64 (with thunderbolt).
Same 2 I'm getting...
Interestingly, by reading the specs if I understood it correctly, you would only need the AVB if going to more than 2 units?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTU
Add a 2nd interface with a simple Ethernet cable. Add the five-port MOTU AVB Switch to build an expanded system of 3 to 5 interfaces with AVB audio networking (or 6+ with additional switches).
If that is the case that would be great because honestly,
Paying an Extra $250 to just connect 2 units together is a little pricey.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

I just wish they'd make a Thunderbolt interface with some legacy "Audiowire" ports so that folks like me could keep their beloved HD192's (with BLA mods). Suppose that's too much to ask for, but it seemed like a fairly cheap feature to add…

Ah well. Guess I'll stick with what I've got for at least another year.
Old 29th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
A TB dock takes care of that issue - 2 TB ports, FW, cat5, HDMI, extra USB, etc...

if a $199 dock can have 2 TB ports and all that...motu made a bad miscalculation saving a few bucks on omitting it...
Nope. The docks all LOOK like two port, but the one is used FROM the Mac.

ONE useable port.
Old 29th July 2014
Quote:
Nope. 1 port. That thing that looks like a connection on the front by itself is actually a slot so you can run your TB cable under the hub and connect it into one of the two on the back. Single TB port.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
I just wish they'd make a Thunderbolt interface with some legacy "Audiowire" ports so that folks like me could keep their beloved HD192's (with BLA mods). Suppose that's too much to ask for, but it seemed like a fairly cheap feature to add…
You know, that sounds like a great idea! There must thousands of PCIe-424 peripherals out there, MOTU would make a lot of customers happy with a few audiowire ports on one of their ThB boxes.

But if you held on to your old HD192/24io/2408's they wouldn't make as much money, of course.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

If you need more than 1 unit you will need the AVB switch.

For this reason and the youthfulness of the thunderbolt in Windows, I decided to move soon to the RME Madi + Orion + Burl summing mixer for a better quality and stability option, but this MOTU setup looks really nice. I will always have it under view in the future.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you need more than 1 unit you will need the AVB switch.

For this reason and the youthfulness of the thunderbolt in Windows, I decided to move soon to the RME Madi + Orion + Burl summing mixer for a better quality and stability option, but this MOTU setup looks really nice. I will always have it under view in the future.
The diagrams on the website show two units connected with a single ethernet cable. I may be wrong but it appears to be three units or more require the hub
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Nope. The docks all LOOK like two port, but the one is used FROM the Mac.

ONE useable port.
wth?

Of course one is to connect to the Mac, and you have another to daisy chain.

That equals 2...
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
wth?

Of course one is to connect to the Mac, and you have another to daisy chain.

That equals 2...

so then this is only a benefit to people adding the other connectivity on the hub. USB and FireWire.

this doesn't solve the daisy chaining of other thunderbolt devices problem.

there will not be any "thunderbolt hubs" whereas a single thunderbolt port connects to the mac and then offers multiple Thunderbolt connections.

read the thunderbolt spec. it doesn't allow for it.

Last edited by TheSiege; 29th July 2014 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiege View Post
so then this is only a benefit to people adding the other connectivity on the hub. USB and FireWire.

this doesn't solve the daisy chaining of other thunderbolt devices problem.

there will not be any "thunderbolt hubs" whereas a single thunderbolt port connects to the mac and then offers multiple Thunderbolt connections.

read the thunderbolt spec. it doesn't allow for it.
The whole point is that motu included only 1 TB port.

If you had TB devices with 2 ports you'd be able to daisy chain them...
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

One of the best features of TB when it was announced was the ability to daisy chain a bunch of devices together. One port -> many devices was a major selling point. Seems as though most manufacturers have completely missed the point and we are still stuck with one port -> one device.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search