The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Head

Maybe a dumb question but i need someone to clearify me.

If u connect two of these motu avb devices via the ethernet port, do u still need the adat ports for higher channel counts?

If no, can u run 24 i/o via ethernet port at all sample rates without the limitation of adat which basically stops at 48khz?

I hope someone can chime in for clarification. Peace.
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Head

question about ethernet port and adat port

If u connect two of these motu avb devices via the ethernet port, do u still need the adat ports for higher channel counts?

If no, can u run 24 i/o via ethernet port at all sample rates without the limitation of adat which basically stops at 48khz?

I hope someone can chime in for clarification. Peace.
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Head

Hello again mrmiller,

today I had some problems with the web-gui: after some while (I think 1 hour) the connection was lost: "can not communicate with server / driver)

after a reboot everything was fine for a while and then the web-gui disappeard again.

I have it connected witzh USB to win 7 64bit. also it is connected to a router (vodaphone easybox 802) with DHCP on (but the router is not connected to Internet and not connected to my Audio PC).

I've seen this error in an earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijon View Post
In my experience, so far, (location recording where the Windows 8.1 DAW is running non-stop for 1.5 to 2.5 hours) it is necessary to run the USB setting at the "Safest" setting. This adds a lot of samples to make up for the flakiness of using USB in a streaming application but in my kind of recording it makes no difference. When using the "Safe" setting or less after about 20 minutes the Web GUI locks up and the computer has to be re-booted to gain control again. It does not mess up the recording - you just lose control. You'll see a blank screen on the GUI with the statement at the top: "Cannot communicate with the device". This underscores the value of eventually connecting to the computer with Thunderbolt. (I equipped my Windows machines with Thunderbolt two years ago, MOTU, so please continue work toward that end.)

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelFan View Post
I assume that the Windows problem "Error message received from server: argument must be json (Code 400)" hasn't been fixed yet. I did the upgrade on my brand new Ultralite AVB, but the problem is still there. Any plan to fix it?
It's fixed and in the release pipeline. Hopefully we can get it to you soon! For now, you can work around the issue by accessing the web app via ethernet and the interface's IP address instead of USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
Who is using this device with Pro Tools? How configureable is it to workaround the 32 i/o limit within Pro Tools? If I had multiple boxes throughout the studio, am I able to patch in just the inputs required? Obviously 1 device has up to or more than 32 channels of I/O, and I know Pro Tools can be stubborn in what you can use.
Yes, that's a frustrating limitation imposed by Pro Tools on third-party hardware. The channels to and from the computer are completely routable. That means you could map whatever analog or digital ins to the first 32 computer ins you'd like. It's like a virtual patch bay. Same goes for the outputs from the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
  1. Is the LCD display dimmable? I can change the contrast, but haven't found a way to dim it.
No, only contrast is controllable.

Quote:
  1. Do the analog outs 1-8 use one 8-channel ESS Sabre32 DAC and the mains and monitors use another 8-channel DAC? If so, any theoretical advantage to using Main 1 for left and Analog 1 for right for two channel listening so that each has its own DAC chip?
I don't know but I don't think you would hear any difference. That said, feel free to do a blind listening test and see if you can distinguish the two configurations!

Quote:
  1. I use JRiver Media Center for playback. JRiver has 64-bit volume control dithered to 32-bits. The Exasound DAC has a plug-in that lets JRiver control the hardware volume of the ESS Sabre32 DAC chip. Is it possible to get similar volume control with the MOTU units?
Well, it should be possible for someone to develop such a plug-in but we have no plans to. You could use our OSC or HTTP API to control the interface and the DAC volume stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammix View Post

AVB (over ethernet) allows up to 128 channels in each direction and works at all sample rates. That means you could connect two interfaces and stream 128+128 channels between them at 96khz, for instance.

ADAT does work up to 96khz with SMUX but that reduces your channel count by half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
Hello again mrmiller,

today I had some problems with the web-gui: after some while (I think 1 hour) the connection was lost: "can not communicate with server / driver)

after a reboot everything was fine for a while and then the web-gui disappeard again.

I have it connected witzh USB to win 7 64bit. also it is connected to a router (vodaphone easybox 802) with DHCP on (but the router is not connected to Internet and not connected to my Audio PC).
We're looking into this issue currently. As a workaround, if you access the web app through its ethernet port and IP address instead of over the USB proxy, everything should work properly. The problem has to do with the USB web proxy server getting cranky, so accessing it via ethernet/WiFi bypasses it altogether. Alternatively, you don't need to restart your computer: unplugging and replugging the USB or power cycling the interface should have the same effect and take less time.
Old 25th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
I just received a Motu 1248 for use in my HTPC (Windows 8 64-bit) for movie/music playback. I love it! The multi-client ASIO driver is great.
  1. Is the LCD display dimmable? I can change the contrast, but haven't found a way to dim it.
  2. Do the analog outs 1-8 use one 8-channel ESS Sabre32 DAC and the mains and monitors use another 8-channel DAC? If so, any theoretical advantage to using Main 1 for left and Analog 1 for right for two channel listening so that each has its own DAC chip?
  3. I've been using Thunderbolt on Windows since September 2014 with my Lynx Aurora 16TB. I am looking forward to getting a Thunderbolt driver for Windows.
  4. I use JRiver Media Center for playback. JRiver has 64-bit volume control dithered to 32-bits. The Exasound DAC has a plug-in that lets JRiver control the hardware volume of the ESS Sabre32 DAC chip. Is it possible to get similar volume control with the MOTU units?
I use a multichannel DAC in exactly the same way for playback via JRiver - and I am thinking about buying the 1248.

How do you perceive the sound quality compared to Aurora?

Does the 1248 have a hardware volume control for the analog outs 1-8?
Old 26th March 2015
cbm
Gear Head

Losing clock sync?

A couple time now, after after the 1248 had sat idle overnight, I've tried to record something and gotten a nasty static-y mess. The first time I rebooted everything. The second time I sleuthed a bit to find the problem. I can fix this by changing the clock rate to something, and then back to my desired clock rate. I'm using the internal 1248 clock, generally at 48K, but some projects I get from other people are at different rates. I'm running Logic X, on a MacPro with six cores.

Anyone else had a similar problem?
Old 26th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by skjensen View Post
Yes, you can trim Analog 1-8 from the front panel (though you'll have to dig into submenus to get to them). The Main Out knob is more convenient as it has a dedicated knob.
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quick question - is input trim on the web app for the 16A an analog attenuation pre or digital post conversion?
Old 26th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjensen View Post
I use a multichannel DAC in exactly the same way for playback via JRiver - and I am thinking about buying the 1248.
What are you using now? I put up a review of the MOTU 1248 on the JRiver forum.

Quote:
How do you perceive the sound quality compared to Aurora?
So far I feel the MOTU 1248 has slightly better sound quality. I haven't had a chance to listen to the Aurora again since connecting the MOTU. The listening experience is also improved because there is no noise on sample rate changes. I did have to set JRiver to play 3 seconds of silence for hardware synchronization in Options > Audio > Settings because it takes a little time for the MOTU to change sample rates.

Quote:
There are only individual trim controls, but no single volume control for the analog outs. I use JRiver's internal volume control anyway.
Old 26th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
Quick question - is input trim on the web app for the 16A an analog attenuation pre or digital post conversion?
The input trim on the Analog inputs in the Device tab is analog and hence pre-conversion.
Old 26th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
What are you using now? I put up a review of the MOTU 1248 on the JRiver forum.

So far I feel the MOTU 1248 has slightly better sound quality. I haven't had a chance to listen to the Aurora again since connecting the MOTU. The listening experience is also improved because there is no noise on sample rate changes. I did have to set JRiver to play 3 seconds of silence for hardware synchronization in Options > Audio > Settings because it takes a little time for the MOTU to change sample rates.

There are only individual trim controls, but no single volume control for the analog outs. I use JRiver's internal volume control anyway.
I am looking forward to your review, and thanks for your comments on Aurora.

My current DAC is ESI Gigaport HD+. It delivers an astonishing sound quality for a very modest price tag. I have compared it with among others RME Fireface UC and Steinberg UR824 with the intention of upgrading, but the ESI simply delivers a sound quality at least one level higher and has less noise. These other DAC's cost 7-10 times more than the Gigaport - so far I haven't tried any Motu devices though. The Gigaport is intended for use among discjockeys, so it has flashing blue lights. The ligts are now covered with black tape, otherwise I would have to start wearing sunglasses indoor

I plan to make a multichannel USB DAC shootout in about a month with the HIFI Society of Copenhagen (Denmark). This will include Motu 1248, Lynx Hilo, Antelope Zen and if possible the new MiniDSP U-DAC8. I have heard some very good implementations of ESS Sabre 32 chips, so I have high hopes in the new series of Motu devices.

I also use the internal volume control of JRiver because the sound quality is very high and it is easy to attach a remote control. I would use the trims of the analog ouputs to adjust overall gain in order to minimize noise output and to adapt to different gain among the 3 very different amps in my active speaker system.
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
The input trim on the Analog inputs in the Device tab is analog and hence pre-conversion.
That is awesome. I've got tube mics that are kicking out enough level on drum overheads to clip the ADC running directly into the 16A, so you just saved me a Redcloud/ATTY purchase.
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Maniac

I just got a 16A to add to my 1248 and I'm having serious issues.

Connected the 16A to the 1248 via Cat 5. The 1248 is plugged into my Hackintosh via Thunderbolt. Both pieces are running the latest firmware.

There seems to be a bandwidth limitation that is sporadic. The AVB streams seem to randomly cut into what all my session musicians are lovingly calling "8-bit mode" . It has an awful high pitched squeel and everything sounds terrible... then it just goes away.

Mr. Miller can you help? Any similar issues from anyone else?
Old 27th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmuzic View Post
Reverb : I am using the ultralite AVB and having trouble getting a reverb sound that suites me as well. I also have an ultralite mk3 hybrid and an 828 mk3 hybrid which both have pleasing reverb that I have setup to my liking with cuemix fx. I thought the AVB devices would have the same quality reverb but I agree with the earlier post about the reverb quality sounding obvious with harsh reflections. I have spent some time adjusting the settings trying to match what I have setup on the mk3 devices but the reverb on the AVB still sounds harsh. Any suggestions?
Has anyone else had trouble liking the sound of the reverb? Does anyone have suggestions for shaping the sound of the reverb to be more like the classic reverb from the mk3 devices? I am using room 4 I think from the cuemix fx on an ultralite mk3 and a n 828mk3. So far I am not able to get nearly as pleasing of a reverb sound out of the ultralite avg. Is this the same reverb as the mk3 devices? Is there some eq I need to do to tame the high end to make it less harsh sounding? Thanks!
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
We're looking into this issue currently. As a workaround, if you access the web app through its ethernet port and IP address instead of over the USB proxy, everything should work properly. The problem has to do with the USB web proxy server getting cranky, so accessing it via ethernet/WiFi bypasses it altogether. Alternatively, you don't need to restart your computer: unplugging and replugging the USB or power cycling the interface should have the same effect and take less time.
So here again the idea from anywhere above to make a "switch"/checkbox in the USB settings to disable this server (I don't need a runing process without sense in my machine, also when it works, I can use it per network). You could make it checked from default, so for every user it will worked as described in the manual. But so we would have control over this proxy server / process. I had also some network problems when connected to the USB-proxy server (ip of the interface was 192.168.178.101) and the internet (LAN) with another router with DHCP "on" in the same ip range.

And: is it possible to show pre-fader levels in the web app meters? can I switch anywhere between pre-fader and post-fader metering? I think they are post-fader now. But for the visual control of the input levels, I need pre-fader levels.

Thank you.
Old 27th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by not like this View Post
Mr. Miller can you help? Any similar issues from anyone else?
I'll talk to the team tomorrow and see if they've got any ideas.

Quote:
So here again the idea from anywhere above to make a "switch"/checkbox in the USB settings to disable this server (I don't need a runing process without sense in my machine, also when it works, I can use it per network). You could make it checked from default, so for every user it will worked as described in the manual. But so we would have control over this proxy server / process. I had also some network problems when connected to the USB-proxy server (ip of the interface was 192.168.178.101) and the internet (LAN) with another router with DHCP "on" in the same ip range.
You can turn the server on and off from the Services program. Could you elaborate more on the network problems you're seeing? The interface uses DHCP by default to reserve an address (unless you manually set it to static), so it shouldn't be conflicting with anything...

Quote:
And: is it possible to show pre-fader levels in the web app meters? can I switch anywhere between pre-fader and post-fader metering? I think they are post-fader now. But for the visual control of the input levels, I need pre-fader levels.
Yup, there are pre-fader meters anywhere you can adjust the input trim, e.g. the Device tab or the input settings popover for each channel strip. The meter under the fader is always post-fader, however. There's also pre-fader metering on the front panel of the 1248. It's especially useful for dialing in mic gains because it switches to a "long-throw" fader view.
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
You can turn the server on and off from the Services program. Could you elaborate more on the network problems you're seeing? The interface uses DHCP by default to reserve an address (unless you manually set it to static), so it shouldn't be conflicting with anything...
OK, I'll try it:

Setup:

Router 1: Internet-router (Fritzbox) 192.168.178.1
Ip-Range DHCP 192.168.178.1- 192.168.178.99
this is used for internet and network access for all computers. (but normally not for the Audio-PC)

Router 2: Control room router (easybox) 192.168.178.2 (no connection to Fritzbox!)
Ip-Range DHCP 192.168.178.100- 192.168.178.200
this is used for AVB-Controll via Webapp for several computers/notebooks.

the interface is connected to Router 2 per LAN and connected per USB to the Audio-PC

the Audio PC is only connected to Router 1 for internet access.

I had the problem, that the Audio-PC had some troubles to get internet access... or I had internet and could not communicate with the interface (web app) over USB.

I don't know why, but it could be a normal problem when connected to 2 networks (1x LAN 1x prox server) and one does not have internet access. I will configurate the 2nd router (for AVB-controll and the Audio-PC connected) in the next days again and will try to find a good solution, for connecting the Router 2 to the router 1 to get internet in the controll room with 1 cable, when I want it.

Perhaps these problems are "network only" and don't come from the Proxy - server?

How can I set the IP of the interface to static?
Old 27th March 2015
Quote:
OK, I'll try it:

Setup:

Router 1: Internet-router (Fritzbox) 192.168.178.1
Ip-Range DHCP 192.168.178.1- 192.168.178.99
this is used for internet and network access for all computers. (but normally not for the Audio-PC)

Router 2: Control room router (easybox) 192.168.178.2 (no connection to Fritzbox!)
Ip-Range DHCP 192.168.178.100- 192.168.178.200
this is used for AVB-Controll via Webapp for several computers/notebooks.

the interface is connected to Router 2 per LAN and connected per USB to the Audio-PC

the Audio PC is only connected to Router 1 for internet access.

I had the problem, that the Audio-PC had some troubles to get internet access... or I had internet and could not communicate with the interface (web app) over USB.

I don't know why, but it could be a normal problem when connected to 2 networks (1x LAN 1x prox server) and one does not have internet access. I will configurate the 2nd router (for AVB-controll and the Audio-PC connected) in the next days again and will try to find a good solution, for connecting the Router 2 to the router 1 to get internet in the controll room with 1 cable, when I want it.

Perhaps these problems are "network only" and don't come from the Proxy - server?
Mmm... yeah, that's a strange network configuration. Any particular reason you're sharing the 192.168.178.x subnet between the two routers? Because that's definitely the root of all your problems. Router 2 is claiming to be part of router 1's subnet, but they're not on the same network. That means your computer is probably trying talk to router 2 by routing through router 1 (which is impossible).

If you change the IP ranges to 192.168.178.x for router 1 and move router 2 to, say, 192.168.179.1 and hand out IPs in that range, I suspect all your issues will disappear. Your subnet mask for both should then be 255.255.255.0.

Quote:
How can I set the IP of the interface to static?
You can do that from the front panel of the device. It's in the network settings submenu. But given the setup you just described, a static IP won't help you much. You're better off assigning a static DHCP reservation to the interface based on its MAC address in your router's configuration panel if you really want a constant IP. That said, most DHCP servers already tend to give out the same address to each client pretty consistently, especially if there aren't a lot of clients.
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
It's fixed and in the release pipeline. Hopefully we can get it to you soon! For now, you can work around the issue by accessing the web app via ethernet and the interface's IP address instead of USB.
Unfortunately after upgrade to 1.2.0+128 my ultralite is not connecting anymore to Ethernet! Is there any specific configuration to recover the Ethernet connection?
Old 27th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelFan View Post
Unfortunately after upgrade to 1.2.0+128 my ultralite is not connecting anymore to Ethernet! Is there any specific configuration to recover the Ethernet connection?
How is your network configured and what is the ethernet connected to? If you press the ID button on the front panel, what IP address is assigned to the UltraLite AVB, if any? Does that match the address you're trying to use to access it? Similarly, what is the IP address of the computer you're accessing it from?
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
How is your network configured and what is the ethernet connected to? If you press the ID button on the front panel, what IP address is assigned to the UltraLite AVB, if any? Does that match the address you're trying to use to access it? Similarly, what is the IP address of the computer you're accessing it from?
I am trying right now, thank you so much.
1) There is no network configured, just the cable connecting Ultralite and PC with Windows 8.1
2) 169.254.10.69 isUltralite
3) Now it works, if I try 169.254.10.69 it works. And it also saves presets!
4) 169.254.197.252 is the PC

Immensely thank you from Italy.
Old 29th March 2015
tft
Gear Nut

112D here in use.
there is another problem i ran into yesterday, you should have a look at:
i was using the usb connection to connect to the devices webinterface and had a problem with the mixer when changing presets.
i had a preset running where the mixer is completely disabled on the settings page, then changed to a preset with mixer enabled and incorporated into the routing (those were "master"-presets from the settingspage).
the mixerinputs stayed completely silent, as if the mixer was still disabled.
the audiosignal was present for the mixerinputs in the routing window, indicated by the little light that shows level is present. but the mixerchannels just stayed silent.
rebooting the 112D cured the problem and activated the mixer correctly.
so maybe have a look into preset-changing, with one preset having the mixer completely disabled.

i didn't test the same preset-switching with ethernet-connected webinterface, so can't say if it has to do with the way i connected to the device or if it's a problem in the webapp itself.
Old 29th March 2015
tft
Gear Nut

and again:
the implemented reverb in the mixer leaves a big question for me.
in this class of interface i expected to see a more versatile (different reverbmodels to choose) or at least a smooth and natural sounding reverb.
also the layout for the reverb-ratio in different frequencyranges is funny.
it's a great feature, but i'd expect to be able to tame (reduce) the decaylength for the lowrange and highrange seperately, not for mid and high.
valhalla room is a good example for a good implementation of this feature.

also the roomimpression/stereoimaging is not very good. as this will probably be used for monitoring via headphones pretty often, the reverb should be able to move the signal "out of the head", to make the headphonelistening more pleasing.
as it is now, there is more of a wobbly decay added.
this is a little exagerated to get my point across, but i find it really hard to tweak a useful sound out of it ...

i'd love to see this worked out/updated to a different level.
Old 31st March 2015
Gear Nut
After one week of use, I cannot have my Ultralite AVB to work properly on WIN 8.1.

When at "minimum latency" and "64" of "128" samples, it sometimes pants, and feels the stress of even few VST/VSTi loaded. Clicks and pops appearing, and sometimes it detaches. I have a recent PC with 8GB and I7-4710.

Don't know if it is a misconfiguration from my side, but I'm pretty sure that it will be better in the close future, it takes some time to have MOTU interfaces and drivers to work on WIN, I hope to have a new driver release soon.

Last edited by JoelFan; 1st April 2015 at 07:52 AM..
Old 31st March 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
and again:
the implemented reverb in the mixer leaves a big question for me.
in this class of interface i expected to see a more versatile (different reverbmodels to choose) or at least a smooth and natural sounding reverb.
Here's another angle: for a unit of this cost, I feel lucky that the manufacturers thought to put a reverb in at all. And for a unit of this cost, it's amazing it sounds as good as converters costing 2-3 times the price.

Hopefully someone will take notice of the 5 requests in the last 2 pages of this thread and reply to you and guitarmusic regarding reverb. But if they don't, it might be because reverb is maybe not a huge selling point for them. Or maybe it's because the reverb topic had been discussed in this thread already by mrmiller, where he noted that inclusion of high level FX like the UA gear was not what they were after.

But anyways, I'm not trying to harp. I think that persistence like this leads to things getting done. And if your older MOTU gear has better reverb than these latest pieces, then perhaps it should be addressed. I just couldn't see yet another "what about the reverb?" post go unanswered on some level at least.
Old 31st March 2015
Here for the gear

Firmware upgrade for the AVB switch

Until today I have been unable to access the avb switch to upgrade the firmware. The methods outline on the MOTU site did not work for my Win 8.1 PC. But while talking to MOTU tech support (who mentioned there is a freeware program that simplifies discovery of the switch IP) I realized I could also discover the IP address by logging on to my ASUS router and looking at the connected devices. Though there were 32 devices it was not too hard to spot it. I merely clicked on the link and the AVB switch page opened up. I downloaded the upgrade and then “browsed” to that file and the job was done.
Old 31st March 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermind View Post
Here's another angle: for a unit of this cost, I feel lucky that the manufacturers thought to put a reverb in at all. And for a unit of this cost, it's amazing it sounds as good as converters costing 2-3 times the price.

Hopefully someone will take notice of the 5 requests in the last 2 pages of this thread and reply to you and guitarmusic regarding reverb. But if they don't, it might be because reverb is maybe not a huge selling point for them. Or maybe it's because the reverb topic had been discussed in this thread already by mrmiller, where he noted that inclusion of high level FX like the UA gear was not what they were after.

But anyways, I'm not trying to harp. I think that persistence like this leads to things getting done. And if your older MOTU gear has better reverb than these latest pieces, then perhaps it should be addressed. I just couldn't see yet another "what about the reverb?" post go unanswered on some level at least.
thanks for sharing your angle!
you are right, it's complaining on a high level or 1st world problems, as some would say.

yes, these avb interfaces are great products with or without better reverb!

as i am using a 112D, i can not enjoy the quality of the converters, so this may contribute to my focus on the abilities of the mixer
i have some decent converters to enjoy and only needed the madi/adat options plus routing and the interface options with the computer.
in my scenario the mixer "could" play an important role in monitoring and live mixing. must admit that i had expectations, that may not have been met completely. reverb for monitoring was high on the list.
it is still usable to a degree for me.
and even if it is not happening to get better reverb, i will be a happy user.

again, thanks for chiming in!
Old 1st April 2015
Gear Addict

mrmiller or others, I'm curious about obtaining the IP address from the unit. I currently have a 1248 connected to a Mac via USB, but when attempting to obtain the IP address from the front panel, the IP Address line is blank. As I understand the manual, it seems that obtaining the IP Address should be possible regardless of whether I'm connected via USB, TB, or ethernet. Am I reading this wrong?

Quick explanation of setup: using an older Mac Pro in a "Studio C" type of room where I'm looking to use a 1248 to interface for a voice recording room. The Mac is running 10.7.5 so doesn't allow for installation of the AVB Discovery software. So at this time, I'm unable to access the 1248's routing at all, or set things up in Logic. And quite possibly, I could have a massive understanding of my situation also. me zed

EDIT: Sorry, got it going. I found this on the MOTU website's FAQ's: "no driver installation is necessary under Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7. As soon as you plug in the USB cable and switch on the interface, the Mac "sees" all the audio channels and makes them available to your DAW or other Mac audio software. Web app control (for access to device settings, the on-board mixer, etc.) can be accomplished through a direct Ethernet connection from the network port on the interface to the Mac's network port. The Mac accesses the web app (which is being served directly from the interface itself) through the network connection."

Last edited by undermind; 1st April 2015 at 02:09 AM..
Old 1st April 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
I'd like to retract what I said earlier. Apparently it is an issue with Sonar. When I downloaded and tried Reaper for the first time today, I was able to load up a project with a buffer of 64 that has tons of plugins with no dropouts. The latency is 2.3/2.3. So indeed, the 1248 is capable of very low latency with even fairly large projects. Now if only Sonar could do the same...
Dear jlaws, I would like your view on latency issue. I have problem with new Ultralite AVB. Was it a pure Sonar issue or is it presenting depending on application? Is there a specific configuration (driver settings, 24bit or 48.000Hz or any) that can fix the latency issue?

I have WIN8.1

Thx a lot.
Old 1st April 2015
Lives for gear

Are you both using the AVB mixer and having latency?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search