The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 19th March 2015
Here for the gear

Once I did a factory reset everything was good. I just am rerouting everything manually.
Old 19th March 2015
Here for the gear

Is it just me or does the latest firmware seem to improve the DSP utilization ?? especially with the compressors.
Old 20th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiscitello View Post
I recently installed a 1248 and 8M. They are pretty much working beautifully, but the 8M is getting into a state where I cannot enable phantom power.

Touch the 48V button, either on the physical front panel or on the web interface, and the red light won't turn on.

Mics that don't need phantom power do work, but phantom-requiring mics don't.

The problem did seem to go away briefly after updating to 1.20, but then upon restart this morning of my system the problem was back.

The 1248 in the system, though, is not having a problem with offering phantom power.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Been scouring the manual and haven't seen anything.
Just wanted to follow up on the resolution to this issue. After some discussion off thread, it turns out he was running TRS from a patch bay into the 8M's inputs. The 8M disables phantom power if it detects a TRS cable is plugged into the combo jack. Once he tried with an XLR cable, everything worked as expected.
Old 21st March 2015
Lives for gear

Yeh, that would not be good plugging a TRS into a phantom powered input.
Old 21st March 2015
tft
Gear Nut

question to motu avb users:
how do you experience the quality of the reverb in the mixer?
i have played around with it, but it does not seem to fit with me. it is always too obvious, with hard reflections and pretty metallic sounding. only when i make it dull (which doesn't sound good at all), i can tame it a little.
hmmm, maybe i don't get the concept of it, don't know.

any input appreciated!
Old 21st March 2015
Just got my 16a yesterday and stayed super late after my last session patching it all up. So stoked to put it through its paces on drums in a few hours. Quick question, in PT 10, it pops up twice under devices. Once as (device name) and another time as (device name):16a
Is there one that I should choose? Or one that works better than another?
Old 21st March 2015
Just got my 16a yesterday and stayed super late after my last session patching it all up. So stoked to put it through its paces on drums in a few hours. Quick question, in PT 10, it pops up twice under devices. Once as (device name) and another time as (device name):16a
Old 21st March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I haven't experienced this but how have you connected it to the computer? Is it both connected via Thunderbolt/USB and Ethernet? In that case it could be that it show up as both a Thunderbolt/USB audio interface and an AVB audio interface.
Old 21st March 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
16a. Took a lot of soul searching. Very stoked
Let us know your impressions of it - I'm thinking of getting a couple
Old 21st March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Under the Device tab > Computer Setup, make sure the "Computer Volume Controls" checkbox is ticked. That should enable the OS X volume slider as before. If you don't see such a checkbox, check that you're updated to the latest firmware version.
I can't see a checkbox under Computer Setup. I tried with different Macs with no luck.
I'm updated with the latest firmware.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 23rd March 2015
Gear Head

Hello mrmiller, is there a possibility to get a multiclient asio driver for windows (so I can connect 2 softwares with the asio driver)?
Old 23rd March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzebub View Post
I haven't experienced this but how have you connected it to the computer? Is it both connected via Thunderbolt/USB and Ethernet? In that case it could be that it show up as both a Thunderbolt/USB audio interface and an AVB audio interface.
I think that was the issue. So now I'm wondering, can I run it in AVB even though I'm only on 10.9? I have the most recent (non retina) iMac
Old 23rd March 2015
Quote:
I think that was the issue. So now I'm wondering, can I run it in AVB even though I'm only on 10.9? I have the most recent (non retina) iMac
According to Mr Miller, in this post MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
it can work but is not officially supported/recommended.
Old 23rd March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzebub View Post
According to Mr Miller, in this post MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
it can work but is not officially supported/recommended.
Gotcha! Thanks!!

Ok @mrmiller, loving this thing and all the options. One question, and currently the only one I have. I can set the Optical A I/O to ADAT or TOSlink, but I can't set Optical B. Is this just something I'm overlooking, or is only Optical A capable of TOSlink? I ask cause I'm setting my Central Station up with it, and would like to use the second Optical bank.

STOKED ON THIS THING SO MUCH THOUGH!!!!
Old 23rd March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballantine View Post
I can't see a checkbox under Computer Setup. I tried with different Macs with no luck.
I'm updated with the latest firmware.
Thank you in advance for your help.
How are you connected to the interface? OS volume control is only supported over Thunderbolt currently.

Quote:
Ok @mrmiller, loving this thing and all the options. One question, and currently the only one I have. I can set the Optical A I/O to ADAT or TOSlink, but I can't set Optical B. Is this just something I'm overlooking, or is only Optical A capable of TOSlink? I ask cause I'm setting my Central Station up with it, and would like to use the second Optical bank.

STOKED ON THIS THING SO MUCH THOUGH!!!!
You're not overlooking anything—only Optical A supports TOSlink in addition to ADAT. We ran into some engineering limitations that prevented us from rolling out the feature to both ports, unfortunately.
Old 23rd March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
How are you connected to the interface? OS volume control is only supported over Thunderbolt currently.
My fault... I'm connected over USB.
I hope in a future update :-)
Old 23rd March 2015
Quote:
You're not overlooking anything—only Optical A supports TOSlink in addition to ADAT. We ran into some engineering limitations that prevented us from rolling out the feature to both ports, unfortunately.
OK cool, is it possible to change that with a firmware thing or is it an actual hardware issue?
Old 23rd March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
Hello mrmiller, is there a possibility to get a multiclient asio driver for windows (so I can connect 2 softwares with the asio driver)?
Actually, the Windows driver already supports multiple ASIO clients. Is this not working for you?

Quote:
OK cool, is it possible to change that with a firmware thing or is it an actual hardware issue?
In theory, it would be possible with a firmware update as we did with TOSlink support for Optical A. That said, we're unable to add the option to Optical B as of now for purely technical software reasons.
Old 23rd March 2015
Quote:
Actually, the Windows driver already supports multiple ASIO clients. Is this not working for you?

In theory, it would be possible with a firmware update as we did with TOSlink support for Optical A. That said, we're unable to add the option to Optical B as of now for purely technical software reasons.
Is there any possibility to make it one or the other by any chance? Like in the future? I just like to cascade my inputs a bit, and if I ever use the optical bays, I'd love the option to have 1-24, and then make my 25-26 my headphone foldback. Obviously not a huge deal at all, but just out of curiosity.

10 drum tracks in so far and this baby sounds unreal. Mega stable too
Old 23rd March 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Nice to hear, but it does not work for me:

Win 7 64 bit, C2Quad, 4GB
lastest driver and firmware
1st DAW Studio one v2 64bit
2nd DAW Logic Audio 5.5.1 (Yes! it is working and stable! ) 32bit
or 2nd DAW Harrison Mixbus 32bit

I'll try it tommorw again with these above and with 2x x32 and 2x x64 softwares.
Old 24th March 2015
Gear Head

OK it works! I had some configuration issues, but now I can route (in the 1248) my signal from Studio One (x64) into Logic (x32) and back again! Cool! Thank you!
Old 24th March 2015
Here for the gear

Reverb : I am using the ultralite AVB and having trouble getting a reverb sound that suites me as well. I also have an ultralite mk3 hybrid and an 828 mk3 hybrid which both have pleasing reverb that I have setup to my liking with cuemix fx. I thought the AVB devices would have the same quality reverb but I agree with the earlier post about the reverb quality sounding obvious with harsh reflections. I have spent some time adjusting the settings trying to match what I have setup on the mk3 devices but the reverb on the AVB still sounds harsh. Any suggestions?
Old 24th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
question to motu avb users:
how do you experience the quality of the reverb in the mixer?
i have played around with it, but it does not seem to fit with me. it is always too obvious, with hard reflections and pretty metallic sounding. only when i make it dull (which doesn't sound good at all), i can tame it a little.
hmmm, maybe i don't get the concept of it, don't know.

any input appreciated!
This is the post I just responded to.
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

Since we now have the higher io count through usb, are there now plans to write a windows thunderbolt driver, since you said this was a bit down the list compared to higher io count? Or is this still on the back burner?
Old 24th March 2015
Here for the gear

I just received a Motu 1248 for use in my HTPC (Windows 8 64-bit) for movie/music playback. I love it! The multi-client ASIO driver is great.
  1. Is the LCD display dimmable? I can change the contrast, but haven't found a way to dim it.
  2. Do the analog outs 1-8 use one 8-channel ESS Sabre32 DAC and the mains and monitors use another 8-channel DAC? If so, any theoretical advantage to using Main 1 for left and Analog 1 for right for two channel listening so that each has its own DAC chip?
  3. I've been using Thunderbolt on Windows since September 2014 with my Lynx Aurora 16TB. I am looking forward to getting a Thunderbolt driver for Windows.
  4. I use JRiver Media Center for playback. JRiver has 64-bit volume control dithered to 32-bits. The Exasound DAC has a plug-in that lets JRiver control the hardware volume of the ESS Sabre32 DAC chip. Is it possible to get similar volume control with the MOTU units?
Old 24th March 2015
Here for the gear

Windows Ethernet AVB Virtual Soundcard

AudioScience - Hono AVB VSC

This requires an Intel i210 ethernet card which are cheap enough, however I don't know the price of this 'virtual sound card' licence itself. It would appear to be a direct competitor to Streamware NIC-1 | Echo Digital Audio. By purchasing the Echo presumably your $800 is mainly going towards the software anyhow.

Note it appears that implementing a virtual sound card is far from straightforward... witness the use of RTX64! I don't know enough about this (despite having read the FAQ) but it would suggest that you'd 'lose' a core as it /appears/ one must be dedicated to RTX64. I.e. you'd be down 25% cpu capacity, though it's entirely possible I've misunderstood this entirely.
http://intervalzero.com/assets/RTX642014/RTX64FAQ.pdf

Tom
Old 24th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.hood View Post
I.e. you'd be down 25% cpu capacity
Assuming you had a 4-core machine - which I suspect is the most common DAW configuration. The FAQ suggest's that it may be just necessary to dedicate a 'logical' Hyperthreaded core but then adds vague caveats.
Old 24th March 2015
Here for the gear

Sonnet Gigabit Adapters

On another topic it seems the Sonnet PCIe Ethernet card supports AVB, but unfortunately their Expresscard does not.

"Hello Thomas,

no, that board uses the broadcom 57761 chip:

Integrated Gigabit Ethernet Controller - BCM57761 | Broadcom

it supports ieee 802.1as, but not 802.1ba

Best regards,

Patrick
Sonnet Customer Support
[email protected]
"
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Addict

Who is using this device with Pro Tools? How configureable is it to workaround the 32 i/o limit within Pro Tools? If I had multiple boxes throughout the studio, am I able to patch in just the inputs required? Obviously 1 device has up to or more than 32 channels of I/O, and I know Pro Tools can be stubborn in what you can use.

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
New firmware update (1.2.0) shipping today for all AVB interfaces. This update, as promised, supports higher channel counts via USB. On both OS X and Windows, we now support up to 64 channels over USB at 44.1/48khz and up to 32 channels at 88.1/96khz. As always, let me know if you run into any issues and I'll do my best to help sort it out.
I assume that the Windows problem "Error message received from server: argument must be json (Code 400)" hasn't been fixed yet. I did the upgrade on my brand new Ultralite AVB, but the problem is still there. Any plan to fix it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search