The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Exclamation

I ask myself why there are so many Engineers, Users, Artists praising the Orion like feeling a big change in the sound after moving from a humbler solution.

I could believe in a placebo feeling if there would be 4 o 5 cases, or even a marketing wheel with 10 or even 20 cases, but dozens of individuals and counting... I guess something must be happening there...

I would like to understand the process that makes a good converter besides the analog circuit, clocking and power supply and SPECIALLY how to measure this, because otherwise everything becomes so relative...
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I'm really glad it doesn't. I like field serviceable wiring looms with discrete connectors on them, so I can fix the damn thing on a remote in the middle of the night. Especially TRS that can function with a patchbay, or AS the patchbay, as needed, when moved to varying environments. Put DB25's on it in a studio room, you then have to own separate DB25 snakes for a live rig.

Besides, if you want them and need 32 channels, the Orion 32 comes in the same price as two 16A's. That market is well covered. The discrete connector market so far hasn't been covered at all in the realm of 16+ in/outs.
I can understand why that would be practical for you. In my studio everything stays in the rack and so we don't need field serviceable leads. Not a big deal but I notice these units are missing spdif, but not a deal breaker. My main concern now is just converter quality, and it may be a little while yet before we see a scientific shoot out
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Addict
No problems

Just a quick personal note for anyone reading all this..
I've used quite a few MOTU systems over the years, PCI, PCIe etc on both Mac and Windows and I have never had any problems what so ever..
I always thought their drivers were really well written.
As for converter quality they are perfectly fine for most pro audio work, especially if they are going into a desk. I had a 192 and a 2408 going into a Harrison console in a treated room and the sound was beautiful.
I'm sure these new interfaces will be head and shoulders above the old ones.

(for reference: currently using Digidesign 192 with HD3 Accel)

Jus' sayin..
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Not a big deal but I notice these units are missing spdif, but not a deal breaker.
The 1248 does have S/PDIF, and it has a built-in sample rate converter on that input, so you don't even need to make sure your S/PDIF source is locked to the main audio clock - you can bring it in "wild" aka un-clocked. Nice.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Nut

Nice... Any official release dates yet?
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massika View Post
Nice... Any official release dates yet?
I'm #2 on the list for a 16A from Sweetwater- the ETA from MOTU is August 4th (don't know if that applies to all 3 or just the 16A).
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Just a quick personal note for anyone reading all this..
I've used quite a few MOTU systems over the years, PCI, PCIe etc on both Mac and Windows and I have never had any problems what so ever..
I always thought their drivers were really well written.
As for converter quality they are perfectly fine for most pro audio work, especially if they are going into a desk. I had a 192 and a 2408 going into a Harrison console in a treated room and the sound was beautiful.
I'm sure these new interfaces will be head and shoulders above the old ones.

(for reference: currently using Digidesign 192 with HD3 Accel)

Jus' sayin..
The 192's, which of course everyone hates now, have made a zillion hit records and film soundtracks. So if these sound at least that good, it wouldn't worry me in the least.

TH
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeronn View Post
I'm #2 on the list for a 16A from Sweetwater- the ETA from MOTU is August 4th (don't know if that applies to all 3 or just the 16A).
If they really fulfill the date, will be what I call "PRO".
Many companies promising and announcing products that take months to be released, this is just too good.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Head
Can't Wait! Finally going to be able to connect all my Outboard gear to 1 unit
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Head
Can't Friggin wait!

Though no Headphone and no Volume Knob on the 16A... still gettin 1
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Looks great(!)

I recently ordered the RME RayDat + Ferrofish converters, I will use them for a while then I plan to move to a solution where I can track 32 channels at 88.2/24.

Will be a hard decision. We will see how it performs, but I will research about which of these will be better. Really excited for both options I must confess.

#1) RME MADI FX PCIe card + Antelope Orion 32 / $4.299
#2) MOTU 1248 + MOTU 16A + MOTU AVB switch / $3.285

I'm on a beast PC, WIN7 64 (with thunderbolt).
Old 26th July 2014
why dont they put a thunderbolt thru on these things?
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
why dont they put a thunderbolt thru on these things?
to cut costs...no other reason possible...
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

I think because they had to implement the AVB switch anyways for the WiFi control, etc etc then was better to relegate that task to the ethernet protocol.

I think that it's perfect like it is.

"each of the AVB Switch's five 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports offer near-zero latency via Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable over distances up to 3,280'"
Old 26th July 2014
They say Windows support is 'coming soon', but also supported OS is 'Windows 8 or later'.

Check their system requirement.

MOTU.com - Tech Specs
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
I think because they had to implement the AVB switch anyways for the WiFi control, etc etc then was better to relegate that task to the ethernet protocol.

I think that it's perfect like it is.

"each of the AVB Switch's five 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports offer near-zero latency via Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable over distances up to 3,280'"
that has nothing to do with the omission of a second TB port...the AVB switch won't let you daisy chain TB devices... the Lynx Hilo TB card has two ports, it can be done and it is a useful thing to have.

In deference to your view, it could be' more perfect' if it had a second TB port... btw, no such thing as perfect - anything at this level will have compromises and clearly in MOTU's view, it was probably necessary to not included it to remain at a certain price point no doubt...
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
that has nothing to do with the omission of a second TB port...the AVB switch won't let you daisy chain TB devices... the Lynx Hilo TB card has two ports, it can be done and it is a useful thing to have.

In deference to your view, it could be' more perfect' if it had a second TB port... btw, no such thing as perfect - anything at this level will have compromises and clearly in MOTU's view, it was probably necessary to not included it to remain at a certain price point no doubt...
I agree. I just can't believe MOTU designed this otherwise perfect system and undermined it with only one TB port. If there were TB hubs on the market, then I wouldn't care. But you can't buy anything that splits one TB port into two. So this MOTU unit has to be the last TB unit in my chain. So does my Apollo Twin, and my TB hard drive, and the Apple TB display, etc. We have this wonderful TB spec that allows daisy chaining and manufacturers are putting out products that insist on being on the end of that chain. I didn't so much care with the Twin because I use that with my laptop without any other devices. But the MOTU unit is designed to be part of a larger setup.
Old 26th July 2014
Quote:
to cut costs...no other reason possible...
yes it must be that the tb port is an expensive implementation - which kind of renders one of tb benefits a bit useless...
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Does MOTU's AVB implement AES67?

Fun to imagine the possibilities of an AVB network.

Curious if MOTU has embraced AES67 within the AVB of these 3 products.

No mention of this in the product specs...

Anyone have info on this??
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Nut

Cool.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Yes I saw it,
I would gladly upgrade to Win8 if I choose this option. I hope that we get good drivers for Windows too.

thanks
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
that has nothing to do with the omission of a second TB port...the AVB switch won't let you daisy chain TB devices...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4001 View Post
I agree. I just can't believe MOTU designed this otherwise perfect system and undermined it with only one TB port...
You are right guys.
I forgot the daisy chaining of other devices different to the audio interface.

Must be a matter of cost I agree.
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Maniac

This looks very interesting. I had been looking at Focusrite Rednet but I will wait for Windows drivers for this one before making a decision. I'm wondering if the optical ports can be configured as SPDIF like the MOTU 896?
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

My response after seeing these on the MOTU web page?

Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Smile

Label me impressed..Good job (as per usual) MOTU..
Old 27th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
yes it must be that the tb port is an expensive implementation - which kind of renders one of tb benefits a bit useless...
It's hard to believe today no thunderbolt hubs are in the market yet. Makes me wonder if there is any problem related to that
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4001 View Post
I agree. I just can't believe MOTU designed this otherwise perfect system and undermined it with only one TB port. If there were TB hubs on the market, then I wouldn't care. But you can't buy anything that splits one TB port into two. So this MOTU unit has to be the last TB unit in my chain. So does my Apollo Twin, and my TB hard drive, and the Apple TB display, etc. We have this wonderful TB spec that allows daisy chaining and manufacturers are putting out products that insist on being on the end of that chain. I didn't so much care with the Twin because I use that with my laptop without any other devices. But the MOTU unit is designed to be part of a larger setup.
+35,000,000,000

I've noticed most TB hard drives have only one port as well. Tough to chain devices when everyone wants to be the last one on the chain. Thunderbolt bus speed doesn't do much if I'm still reading/writing at FW800.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
You are right guys.
I forgot the daisy chaining of other devices different to the audio interface.

Must be a matter of cost I agree.
Cost, but also space, I think... no MIDI, either, from what I can see... or spdif on the 16A and 8MP, etc.

And again, they really do need an interface in this line with DB25... maybe 24 analog I/O?
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

I think the MIDI is relegated for an individual unit, MOTU has many MIDI interfaces.
The older MOTU units of this line also were not using MIDI like the 24i/o.

About the DB25, for me it's perfect like this, with 1/4" TRS, easier, cheaper and more flexible.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

If you need DB25, Im sure you could wire up a TRS to DB25 cable adapter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search