The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 14th January 2015
a2m
Gear Nut

Hi loujudson,

I have a stylus, tried it before for drawing, was not a big fan, but will try it again with the motu, maybe it helps.

Thanks for the tip,

RJB
Old 15th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
I've recieved my Motu 1248 today. Are any Windows users here? If, which cpu load do you have? I have 50% CPU load when I connect the 1248 - MOTUAVBHTTPServer.exe has always 50% of the CPU (no DAW - nothing other running ) - if I open Chrome and run the mixer panel the CPU load reduces to 25% but I don't want to have always chrome running with the mixer panel. My Specs are: Lenovo T400 with C2D 2,53 GHz / 8GB Ram/ Win 7 Pro 64bit - I have the same problem with another T400 with Win 7 Home 64bit /4GB Ram - are here any windows experieces - is this normal?
Eep! Definitely not intentional. I've reproduced it in house and I've filed a bug on your behalf. For now, I guess the workaround is to leave a tab open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
Does anyone on the 828 models(i have the 828X) know how to turn down the the xlr speaker volume all the way down and turn the headphone jack volume up? So I can monitor through my headphones when doing vocals. The main volume knob controls both, while the headphones volume knob has no effect on the headphones jack. confused...im sort of a newb, sorry.
The manual has a bunch of detailed info: http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/thu...Manual_Mac.pdf. In particular, check out the page showing the front panel near the beginning, item #2 :

"The upper phone jack is a standard quarter-inch stereo headphone jack. Its output is hard-wired to mirror the XLR main outs on the rear panel. From the factory, the MAIN VOL knob next to it controls the main outs and this jack, but MAIN VOL can be programmed to control any combination of outputs. See “The Monitor Group” on page 91 for details. Push the knob once to view the current volume setting in the LCD display; push it again to mute the monitor group; push a third time to return to the previous volume. Note: if the Monitor Group is programmed to not include the main outs, the MAIN VOL knob will no longer control the volume of this phone jack, either."

The bottom phones jack is configurable, however (see item #16 on the same page).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijon View Post
A note to MOTU:

In the Web GUI why not make the pan pot a slider instead of a rotary pot? It seems to me that a linear horizontal pointer/slider, marked with an "L", "C" and "R" would take up less screen real estate and be much easier to use. In fact, eliminate ALL rotary pots. When you can't grasp something and rotate it it doesn't make a lot of sense even though it's "traditional."
The knobs actually respond to input linearly, not radially. That is, they already behave like sliders, dragging horizontally or vertically rather than in a circle.

I agree knobs are a little wonky on computers because they're imperfectly mimicking a physical analog. Not having to do a radial drag, though, makes them much more useable. I also find them to be more "glance-able" and visually intuitive. I have an easier time getting a sense of how everything's panned with knobs, especially when channels are panned somewhere other than hard left, right or center. I'd be curious to know if other people feel similarly or not.

The screen real estate is important, but as we work towards being finger-friendly, having a bigger control is actually helpful. Some of us have fat fingers that make small widgets hard to interact with. As well, there already are sliders just below the pan section, so you'd risk confusing them.

Anyways, that's part of our reasoning behind the knobs. Happy to hear more thoughts though!
Old 16th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've recieved my Motu 1248 today. Are any Windows users here? If, which cpu load do you have? I have 50% CPU load when I connect the 1248 - MOTUAVBHTTPServer.exe has always 50% of the CPU (no DAW - nothing other running ) - if I open Chrome and run the mixer panel the CPU load reduces to 25% but I don't want to have always chrome running with the mixer panel. My Specs are: Lenovo T400 with C2D 2,53 GHz / 8GB Ram/ Win 7 Pro 64bit - I have the same problem with another T400 with Win 7 Home 64bit /4GB Ram - are here any windows experieces - is this normal?
Yes, I have the same problem. MOTUAVBHTTPServer.exe adds about 15-20% CPU load which is enough to push my CPU cooling fan into overdrive and adds a lot of extra noise. Very frustrating. I love the interface though, so I may end up buying a liquid cooling system to compensate. Hopefully MOTU can get this fixed quickly.

I thought the HTTP server was on interface but when I launch the GUI it connects to localhost. Perhaps mrmiller would clarify for me?
Old 16th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjotoronto View Post
Yes, I have the same problem. MOTUAVBHTTPServer.exe adds about 15-20% CPU load which is enough to push my CPU cooling fan into overdrive and adds a lot of extra noise. Very frustrating. I love the interface though, so I may end up buying a liquid cooling system to compensate. Hopefully MOTU can get this fixed quickly.

I thought the HTTP server was on interface but when I launch the GUI it connects to localhost. Perhaps mrmiller would clarify for me?
We're looking into the issue and hopefully I'll have something to report soon.

Yes, the server does run on the interface. If you're connected via USB or Thunderbolt rather than ethernet, you need some way to access that server. We run a proxy server on your computer that forwards requests to the server on the interface via USB/TB, and that's what MOTUAVBHTTPServer.exe is.

Here's another workaround other than leaving a tab open, in case it helps. If you don't need to access the web interface for a bit or you're connected via ethernet as well, you can temporarily disable the forwarding server via the Services program. Scroll down to MOTUAVBHTTPServer, right-click and select "Stop." Doing the same and selecting "Start" will restart the server, as will a restart of your computer.
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear

Walmart: NETGEAR N150 Wireless USB Adapter

VERY handy, and cheap at ~$30 USD.
Old 16th January 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
We're looking into the issue and hopefully I'll have something to report soon.

Yes, the server does run on the interface. If you're connected via USB or Thunderbolt rather than ethernet, you need some way to access that server. We run a proxy server on your computer that forwards requests to the server on the interface via USB/TB, and that's what MOTUAVBHTTPServer.exe is.

Here's another workaround other than leaving a tab open, in case it helps. If you don't need to access the web interface for a bit or you're connected via ethernet as well, you can temporarily disable the forwarding server via the Services program. Scroll down to MOTUAVBHTTPServer, right-click and select "Stop." Doing the same and selecting "Start" will restart the server, as will a restart of your computer.
Perhaps it would be usefull to select it in the driver/settings windows like "provide a hhtp Proxy per USB/TB" - so I could enable/disable - me in my part, I will use one notebook for the DAW and another notebook to control the 1248 ... so I don't realy need this.
Old 16th January 2015
Quote:
Perhaps it would be usefull to select it in the driver/settings windows like "provide a hhtp Proxy per USB/TB" - so I could enable/disable - me in my part, I will use one notebook for the DAW and another notebook to control the 1248 ... so I don't realy need this.
There's a bug right now causing it to hog CPU while idle. Once that's fixed, the server's footprint is very small so you shouldn't even notice it running. Are there any other reasons beside the current CPU usage bug that you might want to disable it? Just to reiterate, if the proxy server isn't running, the interface won't show up in the AVB Discovery apps and you won't be able to access the web app from any device unless the interface is connected to the same network via ethernet.
Old 16th January 2015
nms
Lives for gear

I have to say, I continue to be impressed by this new direction Motu have taken with producing higher end products and maintaining such a strong presence here helping and fielding questions.

I don't know what brought this on, but it's good to see and I hope it lasts!
Old 16th January 2015
Here for the gear

MrMiller - can you speak to the low end roll off of the Motu unit outputs (1248, 24Ao)? I have home theater subwoofers easily capable of sub-10Hz output and hope the Motu gives me the full frequency spectrum on output. Thanks.
Old 16th January 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
There's a bug right now causing it to hog CPU while idle. Once that's fixed, the server's footprint is very small so you shouldn't even notice it running. Are there any other reasons beside the current CPU usage bug that you might want to disable it? Just to reiterate, if the proxy server isn't running, the interface won't show up in the AVB Discovery apps and you won't be able to access the web app from any device unless the interface is connected to the same network via ethernet.
If I can enable/disable it, I can control if this process is running or not. If I connect per ethernet/wifi only - I don't need this process

I only think of keeping the system small and stable - only necessary processes should run... if it is "calm" if no http-traffic is used, it should be ok, but the option to disable (like a xampp "Stop" and "Start" button :-) ).

BUT more important than this buttons are in my opinion variable input/output configurations up to 48 or more inputs like mentioned before, would be great:

e.g.

24 In / 24 Out
32 In / 16 Out
40 In / 8 Out

or even better:

32 in / 32 out
40 in / 24 out
48 in / 16 out

Pablo1980 wrote, that USB in/outs could not be variable. Please could you tell me why? the bandwidth would be the same, i think?it would be a great afford for all windows users!

Thank you, Mr Miller!
Old 16th January 2015
Just a wonder. How are people finding these now? I'm looking into two 16As for my new space now (partner and I getting one each!), replacing a BLA002 and Rosetta. I have no chance to test them out as was my original plan, but I'm terrified to just upgrade to something new, as I should be.

Anything you can share that was recorded, pics of it working, horror/non horror stories would be awesome.

Thanks guys!!
Old 17th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
MrMiller - can you speak to the low end roll off of the Motu unit outputs (1248, 24Ao)? I have home theater subwoofers easily capable of sub-10Hz output and hope the Motu gives me the full frequency spectrum on output. Thanks.
There's no low end rolloff on any of the outputs.

Quote:
Pablo1980 wrote, that USB in/outs could not be variable. Please could you tell me why? the bandwidth would be the same, i think?it would be a great afford for all windows users!
Our priority right now is getting the increased channel counts going. We can look into related ideas like asymmetric I/O counts once that's all squared away. I'm not sure it's technically possible but it's a good idea worth examining further.
Old 20th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
There's no low end rolloff on any of the outputs.
MrMiller - Another user posted this on another board as a response from Motu. I know my Earthworks M50 microphone has a published spec of 5-50000Hz but I don't see any mention of that spec on the Motu website. Can you let us know the exact specs for frequency output? Thank you.

David,

Thank you for your interest.

MOTU tests and measures to 20 hz as the lowest frequency for our interfaces. Below 20 hz there is a filter. I don’t have an exact measurement for you, but it’s a fairly sharp roll-off. You’ll get some signal at 10 hz, but it will be attenuated.

If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Dave <REDACTED> - MOTU
Old 20th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
MrMiller - Another user posted this on another board as a response from Motu. I know my Earthworks M50 microphone has a published spec of 5-50000Hz but I don't see any mention of that spec on the Motu website. Can you let us know the exact specs for frequency output? Thank you.

David,

Thank you for your interest.

MOTU tests and measures to 20 hz as the lowest frequency for our interfaces. Below 20 hz there is a filter. I don’t have an exact measurement for you, but it’s a fairly sharp roll-off. You’ll get some signal at 10 hz, but it will be attenuated.

If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Dave <REDACTED> - MOTU
Dave is talking about the inputs, not the outputs. There is some slight rolloff on the inputs. The outputs have no rolloff on the low end, however. The upper range in both cases is determined by the sample rate. To capture and output the full frequency range of that mic up to 50khz, you'd need to run at a sample rate greater than 100khz, e.g. 192khz.

emrr posted some measurements and response graphs way back on page 12 if you want more detail: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10346461-post344.html.
Old 20th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Dave is talking about the inputs, not the outputs. There is some slight rolloff on the inputs. The outputs have no rolloff on the low end, however. The upper range in both cases is determined by the sample rate. To capture and output the full frequency range of that mic up to 50khz, you'd need to run at a sample rate greater than 100khz, e.g. 192khz.

emrr posted some measurements and response graphs way back on page 12 if you want more detail: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10346461-post344.html.
Thanks MrMiller!
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
DP doesn't support the direct hardware playthrough feature with the 1248, 16A or 8M right now. We're looking into it for a future update, though.
Kicking this one to the front again, love to see it happen. That would remove a lot of headaches.
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Amazing.. Finally Thunderbolt cards being stocked for X99! No thanks to Asus.

Gigabyte has released Thunderbolt 2 cards for their X99 boards: GIGABYTE Model GC-THUNDERBOLT 2 card with dual Thunderbolt™ 2 ports - Newegg.com
Great news indeed
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

I thought the thunderbolt drivers for Windows weren't ready yet, nms?
Old 20th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Just a wonder. How are people finding these now? I'm looking into two 16As for my new space now (partner and I getting one each!), replacing a BLA002 and Rosetta. I have no chance to test them out as was my original plan, but I'm terrified to just upgrade to something new, as I should be.

Anything you can share that was recorded, pics of it working, horror/non horror stories would be awesome.

Thanks guys!!
I had a little trouble setting up the outputs on my second 16A, but the MOTU tech support is great and I had it going within a day or so.

I haven't recorded anything formally w/it them yet, been mixing through them a lot. Here's a new song from band practice I recorded (@ 88.2) the other night (the violin is D.I. off the amp and sounds like sheet):

They're not too exciting to look at, but I can post pics if you want.
Old 21st January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
I thought the thunderbolt drivers for Windows weren't ready yet, nms?
They definitely haven't been announced...not even sure if MrMiller has said more than Motu is paying attention to the Thunderbolt situation on the Windows side. But many of us, maybe me mainly, have stated our concerns for the future of Thunderbolt on Windows based on the lack of Thunderbolt products the last few months...but I guess that was just a market shortage due to the switch over to Thunderbolt 2 so very good news indeed. Of course, it would be nice to see more than one Thunderbolt product regularly available for Windows.
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Head

I just picked up a 1248 today and the web app is not locating the unit. I have installed the drivers and app but nothing is recognized. Any suggestions?
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear

I see this as a huge benefit to the powerhouse hackintosh users
Old 21st January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thercman View Post
I just picked up a 1248 today and the web app is not locating the unit. I have installed the drivers and app but nothing is recognized. Any suggestions?
Use the IP adress from the unit itself. Its displayed in the menu. Then go to your browser and type the in the IP.
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Head

Thanks... I fixed the problem right before I received your reply. What I ended up doing was getting the wife's Macbook Pro. Downloaded the app and new drivers. Used the CAT 5 and USB to update the firmware on the 1248. Once that finished I disconnected it from the Mac and reconnected it to my PC. The App started working.... Your idea sounds easier. Wish I would have gotten it earlier. :-)

Last edited by thercman; 21st January 2015 at 06:57 AM..
Old 21st January 2015
Here for the gear

I and a few others in my neck of the woods would be over the moon if Windows thunderbolt drivers were to eventuate for these Motu devices.

Here's hoping !! ?
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Head

mrMiller congratulations with the new 112D!
This is a great addition to the product-line.

Would there be any latency advantage to run PCIe-MADI from the DAW through a 112D, compared to connecting via USB from the DAW, to AVB connected units? (at 192kHz)
What would the expected latency difference be?
Old 22nd January 2015
One more plea. Any Torontonians anywhere have one of these I can hear in action? Pulling the trigger on any interface at any amount without hearing it is a poor investment. I just want to know I'm making the best choice.
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

I'm still confused on Windows Thunderbolt. I have a Gigabyte X99 MB, so if I bought the Gigabyte TB card I still couldn't use TB with Windows??????
Old 23rd January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I'm still confused on Windows Thunderbolt. I have a Gigabyte X99 MB, so if I bought the Gigabyte TB card I still couldn't use TB with Windows??????
A Motu device can operate without a computer. However, if you want to hook up a Motu device to a computer, the computer won't know anything about the device if you just plug it in. There needs to be a device driver for the computer to understand how to communicate to the Motu device. This is just the same as with your printer, scanner, mouse, etc; the computer needs to know what the device is capable of and how to tell the device to do X or Y.

In the case of Motu, at least on the Windows side, they have released drivers for USB so when you connect a Motu to a Windows computer, it uses the (previously installed) device drivers to communicate to the computer via USB.

If you were to connect a Motu via Thunderbolt to a Windows machine, the computer wouldn't know how to communicate since Motu hasn't released a Thunderbolt driver for Windows.

On the Macintosh side, Motu has released USB and Thunderbolt drivers. Thunderbolt hardware is more standard on Macs, while Thunderbolt on the PC side is limited and the hardware isn't as consistent. So I can see why Motu, with their limited development resources, has chosen to expend resources using the most common interfaces, in this case USB on the Windows side and USB AND Thunderbolt on the Mac side.
Old 23rd January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
mrMiller congratulations with the new 112D!
This is a great addition to the product-line.
Thanks—greetings from NAMM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
Would there be any latency advantage to run PCIe-MADI from the DAW through a 112D, compared to connecting via USB from the DAW, to AVB connected units? (at 192kHz)
What would the expected latency difference be?
MADI itself is basically zero-latency, so you're essentially comparing the latency of the PCIe card in question and the USB driver. Probably safe to assume PCIe+MADI would be lower latency than USB.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search