The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 30th December 2014
  #1021
Here for the gear
 

Reply to Bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
And somehow only MOTU interfaces permit this kind of uber-scientific approach to recording? Fascinating....
Yessir, Bullseye, I have found the MOTU box to be the most complete box for location recording. There is a European box that comes close but seems to lend itself more to a fixed installation and it is $5000 which is impractical. Our goal is to deliver excellence and consistency. We strive to generate master recordings on the spot so there is minimal to no mastering required later. Unlike studios that generate sounds/effects we seek to faithfully reproduce what actually happens in a venue. So we don't load our recording computers with effects or ancillary software. The MOTU boxes very nicely carry the load of filtering/analysis/and now slight compression because so many folks no longer have full range playback systems. So we have to fit a full symphony into 4 inch speakers on boom boxes or Bose radios and still sound good on full-range systems.
Old 31st December 2014
  #1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijon View Post
However, I still am unwilling to use it because there is no M/S encoder, FFT analyzer or X-Y display (Lissajous figures of phase relationships) and I regard those as absolutely essential for live work. That was THE distinguishing feature of MOTU MK3 interfaces which no one else had at any price. PLEASE ADD TO WEB UI AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

While you're at it please add a noise generator (white, pink, sine, square) so I don't have to carry more external gear. It is also desirable to pulse at least the white noise in varying increments (1 msec to 10 msec) in order to measure the reverb time in an auditorium and/or calculate the Q and frequency response of a speaker system or microphone.

I know you can do it! The DSP chip/platform can handle it and you have some of the best DSP programmers in the business (maybe THE best from what I've seen).
Thanks for the suggestions! I've logged feature requests for them. They're definitely things we've thought about and considered adding. On the plus side, if you've already got one of the CueMix FX interfaces, there's nothing stopping from using it in tandem to do the signal analysis. Inelegant for sure, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Therefore I'm searching for possible alternate methods to send multi-channel audio streams from my slave computers ( or 'performance Macs' might be a better title) to my main Logic DAW.
It's an interesting thought... you'd basically be decoupling all your computers into more of a peer-to-peer configuration. You'd give up some of the convenience of VEP. You'd have to deal with all the VIs over remote desktop to the slaves and handle all the routing. You'd also need to find a way to pass sample accurate MIDI over the network. Since your slaves would essentially be external hardware synths, you'd only be able to do realtime playback—no offline bouncing.

If you had an AVB interface per system and a switch if there are more than two interfaces, that would handle the audio side of the equation. I know some people have one writing workstation and then MADI into a second for printing stems and mixing. If that's your setup, you could forego the MIDI and just share the AVB streams coming in from the slaves and the writing host.

All in all, it would work, it just seems like a lot more effort. It's a question of whether the pros outweigh the cons for you. A fun thought experiment nonetheless!
Old 31st December 2014
  #1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
no offline bouncing.
Thats the main downside. I can solve the MIDI problem by sending MIDI from the controller keyboards & trigger pads to the performance macs and the Logic DAW simultaneously.

Anyway, I think I'll be sticking with VE Pro for a bit; hopefully with the addition of my new MBP master everything will be a bit tighter. And I'll finally get the chance to test out my 1248 this week and compare it to my Lavry converters.

Cheers.
Old 2nd January 2015
  #1024
Not a very positive start.

Got the 1248 working for a bit then it cut out, which seemed to coincide with my internet cutting out, which happens a lot at my place. Can't get it working again now, its like the computer is not finding the 1248 - there is no green light next to the 1248 in the AVB discovery tab.

It also says, New Update Available - please run web app directly from device over ethernet to update. But there's no instructions on how to do this. And my control room is wi-fi only. Do I really have to disconnect everything and take it all to the room where the internet router lives?

The front panel LCD is now just constantly flashing on and off with 1248 written in on the screen.
Old 2nd January 2015
  #1025
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Do I really have to disconnect everything and take it all to the room where the internet router lives?
If the computer gets internet via wifi, download the firmware from the MOTU site. Then just use a network cable to transfer the file from your computer to the 1248.

In any case, you will need to have a network cable.

MOTU.com - MOTU AVB firmware updates
Old 2nd January 2015
  #1026
Lives for gear
I'm really excited to snatch up one of these new AVB interfaces for my home studio. If the mixer UI is as good as everyone says, I can ditch the rackmount mixers I've been using just to sum synths.

Speaking of which: when will MIDI be joining the AVB party? Wouldn't it be cool to send MIDI over the AVB LAN and reap the same timing benefits?
Old 2nd January 2015
  #1027
Cheers. I had already taken the unit and my MBP downstairs to internet router, so I've now updated the firmware and its up and running again. This should be in the manual under troubleshooting and I'm slightly concerned that it will suddenly completely stop working again, especially if I'm nowhere near an internet connection.

Onto the sound..... I've spent the last hour comparing the 1248 D/A monitor outputs against a Lavry DA10, which I connected from the 1248 via a high quality Van Damme SPDIF cable. My speakers are HR824s and my control room is pretty well treated.

In a nutshell - its not bad, but the DA10 is notably better IMO.

Next I tried syncing the 1248 to my Lavry Blue M-Sync via Word Clock. Listening through the 1248 I couldn't really notice much difference as I switched between the 1248 clock and the Lavry clock, but the DA10 sounded a lot better to my ears being synced to Lavry rather than synced to 1248.

To sum up, with the DA10 there is better separation between the bass frequencies, which makes things much less muddy in the low end and the top is clear, smooth, focused and less veiled (sorry for the cliches).

I know this may seem like an unfair comparison with the DA10 being much more expensive, but there are a lot of threads here on GS where people say there's no difference these days with converters, they all sound good, blah, blah, blah, and its easy to be swayed by those types of comments. I've had my Lavrys for about 6 years now and wondered if the hype is true about these new mid-level converters and for me the 1248 isn't quite there yet, for DA and hence I won't be selling either of my DA10s yet as I had thought I might be.

I'll be giving the AD section a test this weekend with a job I'm doing. For me this is a much more important test , because I mix ITB, but need lots of input channels.
Old 2nd January 2015
  #1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Got the 1248 working for a bit then it cut out, which seemed to coincide with my internet cutting out, which happens a lot at my place. Can't get it working again now, its like the computer is not finding the 1248 - there is no green light next to the 1248 in the AVB discovery tab.
Hmm... when you say cut out, did the audio cut out or did the web app stop loading? In either case, there shouldn't be any reliance on an internet connection. If it were hooked up to your router and your wireless disconnected, that would make sense but that doesn't seem to be your setup. You're connected via Thunderbolt, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
It also says, New Update Available - please run web app directly from device over ethernet to update. But there's no instructions on how to do this. And my control room is wi-fi only. Do I really have to disconnect everything and take it all to the room where the internet router lives?
The interface itself doesn't need to be connected to the internet—just the browser you're running the update from. You could connect it to your Mac directly with an ethernet cable and that would allow you to update as well. There's a bunch of this info available at MOTU.com - AVB (see MOTU.com - MOTU AVB firmware updates).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
The front panel LCD is now just constantly flashing on and off with 1248 written in on the screen.
Huh! Sounds like the box was in identify mode. There's a little targeting reticle in the top right corner of the Device tab that turns it on and off so you can tell which box you're working with.
Old 2nd January 2015
  #1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
Cheers. I had already taken the unit and my MBP downstairs to internet router, so I've now updated the firmware and its up and running again. This should be in the manual under troubleshooting and I'm slightly concerned that it will suddenly completely stop working again, especially if I'm nowhere near an internet connection.
That worries me too. I think the internet connection dropping might be a coincidence and something else is going on. Let me know if it happens again and we'll figure it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
I'll be giving the AD section a test this weekend with a job I'm doing. For me this is a much more important test , because I mix ITB, but need lots of input channels.
Let us know how it goes and thanks for all the feedback so far!
Old 2nd January 2015
  #1030
Ok thanks. Yes I think the internet cutting out was a coincidence. And its good to know that I don't have to connect the unit directly to a router to update the firmware.

It was all working well this afternoon and I've got a busy weekend ahead so fingers crossed it stays that way. I don't know what happened earlier, except after only about 10 minutes' usage, the audio cut out, Logic said it had lost contact and unit's front panel LCD flashed on and off continually until I updated the firmware.

Cheers
Old 4th January 2015
  #1031
Here for the gear
 

Using with CueMixFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I've logged feature requests for them. They're definitely things we've thought about and considered adding. On the plus side, if you've already got one of the CueMix FX interfaces, there's nothing stopping from using it in tandem to do the signal analysis. Inelegant for sure, though.
Yes, that will work except that unfortunately I don't have any of the Hybrid MK3's here and my platforms are all USB3 only equipped. I'll see if I can come by a hybrid until the analysis tools are incorporated. And, thanks for that effort!

On another note there is some inconsistency in nomenclature. The Web UI indicates inputs and outputs (1248) as 1-8, Spdif 1-2, ADAT 1-8 . . . etc. But the inputs appearing in the DAW are only numerical. So by counting and confirming with a noise generator, input 17 is the same as ADAT 1 in the Web UI. Therefore it would be helpful if the ADAT label in the Web UI also had the input number to identify it or if the internal number could contain text thus allowing ADAT 1 (for example) to appear in the DAW.
Old 5th January 2015
  #1032
Here for the gear
 

Question

Hello Motu users! I'm a new owner of a 16a interface. I had no problems installing it and everything works fine.
I was excited to try its new DSP engine and its new mixing console with eq and comp on every channel, I was double excited because motu claims to have modelled its eq from a famous large console.
Anyone of you have already tried out those eq? I was really disappointed: mine doesn't work! Have a strange behaviour, let me explain this:
In this image you'll see a spectrum of a pink noise used for this test:

View image: 01 Original Pink Noise Spectrum

I've used Fabfilter Pro-Q
The I've engaged one eq band from Motu16a Mixing console: +6db 1000hz 1 octave.
The result was this:

View image: 02 Match Between Original and Equed

I've routed the output of the channel to one input and let ProQ draw a match between original and eq'ed.
As you'll see +6db and center 1000hz freq are ok, but with a set of 1 octave I supposed to see a gain from about 500hz to 2000hz not from 100 to 10000!
Now I kindly ask: is this normal? is it a known bug? is my card broken? Please help me!
This is a shoot of eq settings just for reference

View image: 03 Eq Setting

Thank you in advance! Riccardo
Old 5th January 2015
  #1033
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
Historically there's not really a standard definition enforced for EQ bandwidth/turnover point. I agree your settings sound misleading relative to your result. It looks like the definition would be closer to "everything that is actually +6". It does work, the real question is does it have useful range from widest to narrowest for your ears, and does it get the job done. Panel markings on audio equipment are at best a guideline.

Try the compressor, it's what's actually 'broken', unless it's been fixed more recently. I've addressed that several times in this thread. It does work, just not without some bizarre counterintuitive knob interactions which shouldn't exist.
Old 6th January 2015
  #1034
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Try the compressor, it's what's actually 'broken', unless it's been fixed more recently. I've addressed that several times in this thread. It does work, just not without some bizarre counterintuitive knob interactions which shouldn't exist.
Yikes! I dug up your other comments on this. I really wanted this to work well for live show and streaming use. I thought it was supposed to be a LA2A type comp. Why wouldn't it just be GR and output gain?
Old 6th January 2015
  #1035
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
The channel comp isn't an LA-2A type; there are two comps provided. The manual covers all of this.
Old 6th January 2015
  #1036
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
The channel comp isn't an LA-2A type; there are two comps provided. The manual covers all of this.
Gotcha. I see that now.
Old 7th January 2015
  #1037
a2m
Gear Nut
 

Now testing out a 1248. Am planning to use it for live-performance and have some questions from which I wonder why no one is asking.
1. Am I the only one that finds the dsp buttons (from eq,compressions,gate,leveller, etc.) way too small on for instance an ipad air. Furthermore. when pressing a button a label comes up that is being blocked by my finger, so I end up searching around my finger for the value.
2. The buttons, because of their small size are a bit dangerous. When you are changing a gain it goes very fast sometimes. When working with a big PA it is not nice when you suddenly boost an eq by 16 db by accident because of a slip of a finger.
3. because of the way the dsp buttons are put on the mixer when you look at the mixer you have no idea what your eq/compression setting is. And when on an ipad you have have to chose wether to see high-pass filter, eq, compressor. You can't see them all together (I guess because of the small size of ipad)

I am very curious if motu is going to address this issue in the next firmware update? I saw promotional video's of miley cyrus, usher, so I guess the interfaces are also meant for live use?

RJB
Old 7th January 2015
  #1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2m View Post
Now testing out a 1248. Am planning to use it for live-performance and have some questions from which I wonder why no one is asking.
1. Am I the only one that finds the dsp buttons (from eq,compressions,gate,leveller, etc.) way too small on for instance an ipad air. Furthermore. when pressing a button a label comes up that is being blocked by my finger, so I end up searching around my finger for the value.
2. The buttons, because of their small size are a bit dangerous. When you are changing a gain it goes very fast sometimes. When working with a big PA it is not nice when you suddenly boost an eq by 16 db by accident because of a slip of a finger.
3. because of the way the dsp buttons are put on the mixer when you look at the mixer you have no idea what your eq/compression setting is. And when on an ipad you have have to chose wether to see high-pass filter, eq, compressor. You can't see them all together (I guess because of the small size of ipad)

I am very curious if motu is going to address this issue in the next firmware update?
We're definitely working on optimizing the mixer UI for mobile devices but there's still a ways to go. It won't be ready as soon as the next firmware.
Old 7th January 2015
  #1039
a2m
Gear Nut
 

Hello All,

Maybe I should have started on a more positive note.
- For live use this is probable the most high-end mixer on the market. I really like the sound-quality.
- Connecting the interface to an ipad works perfectly. Very stable connection core audio. So apps like auria work very well.
- connection to the interface over wired ethernet works very stable/fast, over wifi sometimes a bit on the slow side. (Probable due to wifi, not motu interface)
- routing is amazing.

If anyone wants me to test something let me know.

RJB
Old 9th January 2015
  #1040
Gear Maniac
 

So, after a while from the usb drivers launch. Anybody has tested them in stressing situations? 24/in and out, low latency vst working without hiccups?

I would still hear about a new motu orion converters comparison.

Mr miller, are you still triyng to push 32in and out with usb?
Old 9th January 2015
  #1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
Mr miller, are you still triyng to push 32in and out with usb?
Yup, we're still working on it! I'll let everyone know when I've got more news.
Old 10th January 2015
  #1042
Gear Maniac
 

Thanks Michael. Good to know!

So, anybody has any experiences with the usb drivers?
Old 11th January 2015
  #1043
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post

I would still hear about a new motu orion converters comparison.
me too.
Old 12th January 2015
  #1044
Gear Head
 

Mr Miller, concerning the USB connection:

Maybe it would be possible to vary the number of inputs and outputs, such as:

24 In / 24 Out
32 In / 16 Out
48 In / 8 Out

or the other way around?
That would be very helpful, and a windows user could use all of the interface inputs at the same time (e.g. the 1248)
Old 12th January 2015
  #1045
Here for the gear
 
safetyfirst's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
Mr Miller, concerning the USB connection:

Maybe it would be possible to vary the number of inputs and outputs, such as:

24 In / 24 Out
32 In / 16 Out
48 In / 8 Out

or the other way around?
That would be very helpful, and a windows user could use all of the interface inputs at the same time (e.g. the 1248)
+1

But of course 32 IO still very high up on my wish list for USB. Also Channel names!
Old 12th January 2015
  #1046
Gear Head
 

I've recieved my Motu 1248 today. Are any Windows users here? If, which cpu load do you have? I have 50% CPU load when I connect the 1248 - MOTUAVBHTTPServer.exe has always 50% of the CPU (no DAW - nothing other running ) - if I open Chrome and run the mixer panel the CPU load reduces to 25% but I don't want to have always chrome running with the mixer panel. My Specs are: Lenovo T400 with C2D 2,53 GHz / 8GB Ram/ Win 7 Pro 64bit - I have the same problem with another T400 with Win 7 Home 64bit /4GB Ram - are here any windows experieces - is this normal?
Old 13th January 2015
  #1047
Gear Head
 

Does anyone on the 828 models(i have the 828X) know how to turn down the the xlr speaker volume all the way down and turn the headphone jack volume up? So I can monitor through my headphones when doing vocals. The main volume knob controls both, while the headphones volume knob has no effect on the headphones jack. confused...im sort of a newb, sorry.
Old 14th January 2015
  #1048
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
Mr Miller, concerning the USB connection:

Maybe it would be possible to vary the number of inputs and outputs, such as:

24 In / 24 Out
32 In / 16 Out
48 In / 8 Out

or the other way around?
That would be very helpful, and a windows user could use all of the interface inputs at the same time (e.g. the 1248)

I asked the same but got told that it cant be done. Maybe anybody with tech knowledge may shed some light (maybe something to do with usb being serial?). This would be ground breaking for usb interfaces...you can expand via adat and have 48 outs!
Old 14th January 2015
  #1049
Here for the gear
 

Change to GUI

A note to MOTU:

In the Web GUI why not make the pan pot a slider instead of a rotary pot? It seems to me that a linear horizontal pointer/slider, marked with an "L", "C" and "R" would take up less screen real estate and be much easier to use. In fact, eliminate ALL rotary pots. When you can't grasp something and rotate it it doesn't make a lot of sense even though it's "traditional."
Old 14th January 2015
  #1050
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2m View Post
Now testing out a 1248. Am planning to use it for live-performance and have some questions from which I wonder why no one is asking.
1. Am I the only one that finds the dsp buttons (from eq,compressions,gate,leveller, etc.) way too small on for instance an ipad air. Furthermore. when pressing a button a label comes up that is being blocked by my finger, so I end up searching around my finger for the value.
2. The buttons, because of their small size are a bit dangerous. When you are changing a gain it goes very fast sometimes. When working with a big PA it is not nice when you suddenly boost an eq by 16 db by accident because of a slip of a finger.
3. because of the way the dsp buttons are put on the mixer when you look at the mixer you have no idea what your eq/compression setting is. And when on an ipad you have have to chose wether to see high-pass filter, eq, compressor. You can't see them all together (I guess because of the small size of ipad)

I am very curious if motu is going to address this issue in the next firmware update? I saw promotional video's of miley cyrus, usher, so I guess the interfaces are also meant for live use?

RJB
Have you tried using a stylus? I keep one attached to my full size ipad. There is a little thing that sticks in the headphone jack to keep it handy!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump