The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Hmmm...I'm not seeing this as an option after loading today's drivers. Any hints? Thanks!
Have you also updated to the latest firmware? There were two updates today: a new driver and a new firmware. The ADAT–S/PDIF change is part of the firmware update.
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Have you also updated to the latest firmware? There were two updates today: a new driver and a new firmware. The ADAT–S/PDIF change is part of the firmware update.
Ah! Missed the FW updater. Installing now.

BTW, thanks for your presence here and the nearly constant support you're providing for these new interfaces.
Old 15th December 2014
BTW, both with today's firmware update and the previous one, my 16A has hung at the end of the "Verifying" display and the AVB page in Firefox times out. Since the display is screaming "DO NOT UNPLUG OR TURN OFF!" I get wary of having to do so, but that's the only way to get the updates to actually complete.
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
BTW, both with today's firmware update and the previous one, my 16A has hung at the end of the "Verifying" display and the AVB page in Firefox times out. Since the display is screaming "DO NOT UNPLUG OR TURN OFF!" I get wary of having to do so, but that's the only way to get the updates to actually complete.
Hmm... that's not great and certainly disconcerting! Based on the version number reported in the Device tab at the bottom, does it look like the update did work? We have seen updates fail on occasion but subsequent attempts work fine. Once the update starts, it doesn't actually matter whether the page is open. It might be worth trying in a different browser next time, just in case. Regardless, the interface should reboot once it's done unless something went wrong.

Despite the warning, turning it off mid-update won't brick your box. If your update has started, though, you'll have to successfully complete the update before returning to normal operation. Turning it back on in that scenario will send you back to firmware update mode.
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Hmm... that's not great and certainly disconcerting! Based on the version number reported in the Device tab at the bottom, does it look like the update did work? We have seen updates fail on occasion but subsequent attempts work fine. Once the update starts, it doesn't actually matter whether the page is open. It might be worth trying in a different browser next time, just in case. Regardless, the interface should reboot once it's done unless something went wrong.

Despite the warning, turning it off mid-update won't brick your box. If your update has started, though, you'll have to successfully complete the update before returning to normal operation. Turning it back on in that scenario will send you back to firmware update mode.
Both times, shutting down/restarting the 16A has resulted in the firmware updating successfully, so there's that!
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Will you be doing this for the 24Ao? I have one and need it!
We are still working on adding it the 24Ai, 24Ao and Monitor 8 but we might not be able to due to technical constraints. I'll let you know either way where we end up after some more work!
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
I need some help. I just got two 16Aa (replaced 3 2408 mk3s), they're connected to a nMP and a Toft ATB24. The guy at Sweeywater said I should hook up both w/a Thunderbolt cord on each. In reading the manual it says to hook up the second one via Ethernet. I've tried every combination. I am slaving the clock on the second one to the first. I'm only using the second one for an additional 8 outputs.

Problem: I can't get the second one (or additional Analog outputs) to show up in Digital Performer 8. The AVB software sees it and I've tried configuring as both Additional Outputs and an Interface.

Once I get it going I'll post a mix done through the 2408 mk3s and the 16As for comparison. I can already hear a big difference, especially in the low end.
When both are plugged in via Thunderbolt, do they both appear in Audio MIDI Setup? If so, this might just be a DP bug and I'll look into it. In that case, you should be able to work around it by creating a Core Audio aggregate device.

On the other hand, if you hook the 16As up over AVB, it will only show up to the Mac as a single interface (the one that's plugged into the computer). You'll need to set up the routing on both boxes to get it working the way you want On the Thunderbolt-attached 16A, you'll route some of the To/From Computer I/O over AVB streams to the other 16A. Use the Stage I/O device preset on the other 16A and then connect their AVB streams. I'm happy to go into more detail here or in a PM, but there are a lot of good resources explaining this and more at MOTU.com - AVB. The video tutorial entitled "Stage I/O Preset" in particular might be helpful.
Old 16th December 2014
Here for the gear

Win drivers just out today! I've just updated the firmware for my 1248 and installed the Windows drivers. It couldn't have been easier! All up and running in a matter of minutes :-D

So far everything is performing as it should, though I've not yet done any real testing. That will be tomorrow.
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Both times, shutting down/restarting the 16A has resulted in the firmware updating successfully, so there's that!

Hi Don, I ve read that you have some amphions, they probably will be my next monitors, so: how are you finding the new motu's conversion? (interested mainly in summing outs, recording the summed signal and monitoring everything)

Thanks!
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
Hi Don, I ve read that you have some amphions, they probably will be my next monitors, so: how are you finding the new motu's conversion? (interested mainly in summing outs, recording the summed signal and monitoring everything)

Thanks!
Honestly, I'd have no problem putting these converters up against anything else available today. The Amphions certainly are "shining the truth" on anything I put through the 16A, and I don't feel I'm lacking any resolution or detail.
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
New update also allows you to switch optical bank A from ADAT to S/PDIF on the 1248, 16A and 8M.
When will there be an update for 24Ao? That's the one we're waiting for, especially if we can get more than one pair of ADATs to switch to SPDIF!

btw I noticed that is says 24Ao comes with Spdif instead of Adat here....

MOTU 24Ao USB/AVB INterface | Sweetwater.com
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinups View Post
When will there be an update for 24Ao? That's the one we're waiting for, especially if we can get more than one pair of ADATs to switch to SPDIF!
This probably got lost in the flurry of posts today:
Quote:
We are still working on adding it the 24Ai, 24Ao and Monitor 8 but we might not be able to due to technical constraints. I'll let you know either way where we end up after some more work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinups View Post
btw I noticed that is says 24Ao comes with Spdif instead of Adat here....
Well, that's incredibly misleading! I'll see about getting the corrected. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 16th December 2014
Here for the gear

I know you've stated you're not sure if it is technically possible if the 24Ao will get SPDIF but if it doesn't that will be a big disappointment. Having SPDIF as an input on the 24Ao was one of the primary reasons I purchased over the 16A as I primarily needed outputs and of course the $500 difference.. For the home theater side of the house, what seemed like a slam dunk could be decidedly less of one.
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I just wanted to say thanks for answering all my questions before I purchased, I am ABSOLUTELY happy with these interfaces.

What I have (on OSX) is:

MacPro <-> 1248 (Thunderbolt)
1248 <-> Motu 896HDmk3 (ADAT1 IN/OUT) Using as A/D converter only
1248 <-> Expert Sleepers Modular Interface (ADAT2 IN/OUT)
1248 <-> 24AI (Ethernet AVB)

24AI <-> OctoPreMk2 1 (ADAT 1 IN/OUT)
24AI <-> OctoPreMk2 2 (ADAT 2 IN/OUT)
(ADAT 3 is free)

I only record and work in 44.1/48, clocking for all ADAT devices done over ADAT. 24AI <->1248 done over AVB. Only one connection to computer, single Thunderbolt.

I've had no problems with this setup. I had a Lucid GenX6 as an external clock and compared results and found I just didn't need it. Subjective test obviously, but nevertheless, I am EXTREMELY happy everything works.

This is running in 10.10 as well. I'm basically using something like 78 inputs at the moment (have not tested all simultaneously yet because that was never my intention, but want to just to see what it does).
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I know you've stated you're not sure if it is technically possible if the 24Ao will get SPDIF but if it doesn't that will be a big disappointment. Having SPDIF as an input on the 24Ao was one of the primary reasons I purchased over the 16A as I primarily needed outputs and of course the $500 difference.. For the home theater side of the house, what seemed like a slam dunk could be decidedly less of one.
I definitely understand and we're working hard to make it a reality. I'm optimistic we'll be able to in spite of the technical challenges involved. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee it.

I'm sorry if we've misled you in any way up to this point. I've tried to be clear about this feature, that it is a possibility rather than a definite. We've been able to add it partially to three of the six interfaces so far. We're still working on the remaining ones. I'm just trying to be as upfront and straightforward about the current state of things as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimepoch View Post
I just wanted to say thanks for answering all my questions before I purchased, I am ABSOLUTELY happy with these interfaces.

What I have (on OSX) is:

MacPro <-> 1248 (Thunderbolt)
1248 <-> Motu 896HDmk3 (ADAT1 IN/OUT) Using as A/D converter only
1248 <-> Expert Sleepers Modular Interface (ADAT2 IN/OUT)
1248 <-> 24AI (Ethernet AVB)

24AI <-> OctoPreMk2 1 (ADAT 1 IN/OUT)
24AI <-> OctoPreMk2 2 (ADAT 2 IN/OUT)
(ADAT 3 is free)

I only record and work in 44.1/48, clocking for all ADAT devices done over ADAT. 24AI <->1248 done over AVB. Only one connection to computer, single Thunderbolt.

I've had no problems with this setup. I had a Lucid GenX6 as an external clock and compared results and found I just didn't need it. Subjective test obviously, but nevertheless, I am EXTREMELY happy everything works.

This is running in 10.10 as well. I'm basically using something like 78 inputs at the moment (have not tested all simultaneously yet because that was never my intention, but want to just to see what it does).
Nice! That's getting to be a pretty complex setup and I'm happy to hear everything's running smoothly.
Old 16th December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I definitely understand and we're working hard to make it a reality. I'm optimistic we'll be able to in spite of the technical challenges involved. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee it.

I'm sorry if we've misled you in any way up to this point. I've tried to be clear about this feature, that it is a possibility rather than a definite. We've been able to add it partially to three of the six interfaces so far. We're still working on the remaining ones. I'm just trying to be as upfront and straightforward about the current state of things as possible.
We all make mistakes (and this one could just be Sweetwater's as that was one of the places I researched too) and I don't feel I've been misled, especially by you. I may have chosen the 24Ao for various reasons but along with Motu's history of support, YOU are a major reason I took a chance on Motu, even before the Windows drivers were available. So thank you very much for your support and hard work. I'm looking forward to an answer on the 24Ao's support of SPDIF and have full confidence that you and your team will give it their best shot. Thanks again.
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Head
Windows Thunderbolt 2 drivers?

nice to see that USB drivers are available for windows, are there any plans though for thunderbolt support under windows?

I've got a Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH motherboard (with TB2 support)
under OS X (hackintosh) it works fine, but it would be nice if i booted windows that it would work as well without switching to USB.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

I don't see a manual pdf for the Monitor 8 yet, curious to have a look.
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I don't see a manual pdf for the Monitor 8 yet, curious to have a look.
It's in the works and coming soon. Apologies for the delay.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiDi View Post
Win drivers just out today! I've just updated the firmware for my 1248 and installed the Windows drivers. It couldn't have been easier! All up and running in a matter of minutes :-D

So far everything is performing as it should, though I've not yet done any real testing. That will be tomorrow.
Is this true? I have a Windows 8 DAW, so I can now purchase and use the 1248????
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Is this true? I have a Windows 8 DAW, so I can now purchase and use the 1248????
Yup! We released the Windows USB drivers yesterday so you should be good to go.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any word on latency yet?
Old 16th December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
And from what I see so far, the Win USB driver is working perfectly.

It is limited to 24 in and out, but as I understand, that may improve to 32 in a subsequent release?

I do hope to see Thunderbolt and AVB support in Windows follow along soon.

I have noted an issue with IE on Windows 8 using touch. When attempting to move a control via touch, it seems to want to pan and scroll only, and does not change the control. I've not had the same issue with Firefox, which seems to work fine
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
And from what I see so far, the Win USB driver is working perfectly.

It is limited to 24 in and out, but as I understand, that may improve to 32 in a subsequent release?
Yup, we're getting there for 1x and 2x rates. 4x rates will still be limited to 24x24.

Quote:
I have noted an issue with IE on Windows 8 using touch. When attempting to move a control via touch, it seems to want to pan and scroll only, and does not change the control. I've not had the same issue with Firefox, which seems to work fine
Thanks for the feedback! I've filed a bug report. Out of curiosity, what device are you using—Surface or something else? IE10 or 11?
Old 16th December 2014
Quote:
When both are plugged in via Thunderbolt, do they both appear in Audio MIDI Setup? If so, this might just be a DP bug and I'll look into it. In that case, you should be able to work around it by creating a Core Audio aggregate device.

On the other hand, if you hook the 16As up over AVB, it will only show up to the Mac as a single interface (the one that's plugged into the computer). You'll need to set up the routing on both boxes to get it working the way you want On the Thunderbolt-attached 16A, you'll route some of the To/From Computer I/O over AVB streams to the other 16A. Use the Stage I/O device preset on the other 16A and then connect their AVB streams. I'm happy to go into more detail here or in a PM, but there are a lot of good resources explaining this and more at MOTU.com - AVB. The video tutorial entitled "Stage I/O Preset" in particular might be helpful.
I got it. Thank you! Only one connected via thunderbolt as recommended - AVB streams to second. Very slick, plus it gives me an extra two outputs because I can send my MIX to phantom AVB streams.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
GREAT!!!! .....except no one has them in stock it seems until next month. Oh well, I'll have something to look forward to next month.....and I'll have time to get the thunderbolt option for my MB.
Old 16th December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
GREAT!!!! .....except no one has them in stock it seems until next month. Oh well, I'll have something to look forward to next month.....and I'll have time to get the thunderbolt option for my MB.
2 things.

1. The Windows drivers only support USB at this time. No word on Thunderbolt support yet.

2. Let me know how you make out with Thunderbolt as add on cards and Mobos with Thunderbolt were all out of stock when I looked a few weeks ago. Only secondary online stores had them in stock, assuming their inventory numbers were accurate.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
2 things.

1. The Windows drivers only support USB at this time. No word on Thunderbolt support yet.

2. Let me know how you make out with Thunderbolt as add on cards and Mobos with Thunderbolt were all out of stock when I looked a few weeks ago. Only secondary online stores had them in stock, assuming their inventory numbers were accurate.
Thanks for that info. USB will suffice for the immediate time, then perhaps later in 2015 when the bugs are ironed out with TB I'll make the switch.
Old 16th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Honestly, I'd have no problem putting these converters up against anything else available today. The Amphions certainly are "shining the truth" on anything I put through the 16A, and I don't feel I'm lacking any resolution or detail.
Thanks Don! I was thinking to add a mytek i/o or benchmark to the 1248 but I think the quality of the motu converters could be just as good.
Old 17th December 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
Thanks Don! I was thinking to add a mytek i/o or benchmark to the 1248 but I think the quality of the motu converters could be just as good.
These new units are well above the conversion quality of anything Motu did in the past. It's in the neighborhood of Apogee Symphony, which uses some of the same components & design attributes. This is not just on paper and can be observed by comparing ADDA loopbacks of music or test tones in both units. That said, for high end users it's worth exploring the option of pairing the Motu with a Lavry, Lynx Hilo, or Mytek 192 DSD DAC IMO. This really covers bases.

Quote:
Let me know how you make out with Thunderbolt as add on cards and Mobos with Thunderbolt were all out of stock when I looked a few weeks ago. Only secondary online stores had them in stock, assuming their inventory numbers were accurate.
I get a feeling like they are revising them, hence the lack of stock. A lot of us are waiting to see what happens with that, and I'd imagine Motu may be waiting as well.

Michael, any word at all on TB with Windows users? Am I correct here?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search