The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
I am happy to report, that I received the Sonnet Presto Gigabit Pro PCIe card today and that AVB-ethernet is working in my Mac-Pro 5.1 as promised!
The exact Sonnet Part# that has the Broadcom chip is GE1000LAB-E, the previous GE1000LA-E version will not work (intel chipset).
For people with a Mac-Pro 4.1/5.1 that run out of free PCIe-slots, there is an alternative to use the 'Airport' mini-PCIe x1-slot for the additional 'AVB-ethernet-card'.
I bought a mini-PCIe to x1-PCIe adapter. The mini-PCIe-slot is located in the CPU/Memory bay. Next to the first CPU there is enough space to house the adapter and card above the memory dimm's.
Order an adapter with a 'long' flat-cable (they come in different length's, the one in the picture is a little short), this will make the housing more easy.
You need to create a extra RJ45 outlet in the casing, for instance with a Neutrik etherCon NE8FDP above the PCIe-slots and route a cat-cable to the ethernet-card-connector.
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-img_2451.jpg   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-img_2452.jpg   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-schermafbeelding-2014-12-14-om-14.20.46.png   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-schermafbeelding-2014-12-14-om-14.22.00.jpg  
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dume41 View Post

Can you two enlighten me? If you don't want the MOTU's convertors OR preamps, what do you want it for at all? Why not just stick to your high end convertors?

If the answer is simply to get audio into and out of the convertors, then why not just use any old interface with spdif and stable drivers? And, of course, if you're on a mac, you already have SPDIF TOS optical output built in.

No disrespect intended. Just very curious.
Many people use a high quality 2 channel converter in conjunction with a multi output one. So the one with large amounts of decent sounding outputs would go to a summing unit, then the output of that goes to the AD of then2ch high quality unit AND you listen to the output/DA of the quality 2ch.

So basically you a) mix listening to the top quality unit and b) record your mix back in with it.

The multi out converter in this sort of setup is not as critical, relatively speaking.

Plus, extending this, if you need to record full bands you need a larger number or good quality AD.
Old 14th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Many people use a high quality 2 channel converter in conjunction with a multi output one. So the one with large amounts of decent sounding outputs would go to a summing unit, then the output of that goes to the AD of then2ch high quality unit AND you listen to the output/DA of the quality 2ch.

So basically you a) mix listening to the top quality unit and b) record your mix back in with it.

The multi out converter in this sort of setup is not as critical, relatively speaking.

Plus, extending this, if you need to record full bands you need a larger number or good quality AD.
This is interesting. I have found the transparency of the summing outputs to be critical. Especially if one is heading out to something like an SSL X-Desk, or X-Rack. And even if using a fuzz box, like a TL Audio Ebony A4, I only want the distortion that I want from the transformer. Not from the convertor.

For me: if I doubt the integrity of the convertors, I'd rather just sum in the box.

But I see your point. People want what they want.
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is interesting. I have found the transparency of the summing outputs to be critical. Especially if one is heading out to something like an SSL X-Desk, or X-Rack. And even if using a fuzz box, like a TL Audio Ebony A4, I only want the distortion that I want from the transformer. Not from the convertor.

For me: if I doubt the integrity of the convertors, I'd rather just sum in the box.

But I see your point. People want what they want.
Of course it's critical. Everything makes a difference and it's all worth having. But it isn't AS critical as the final 2ch conversion quality for printing and listening. Of course, if one can afford the same quality in multi output quantities better is always better.........

As far as just summing in the box, that isn't a great alternative if you were to want to integrate a number of analog boxes, as the bringing them back into the DAW would a) create an extra conversion and b) cause you latency mayhem compared to the totally phase sound situation with a summing box.
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Head

Dume41-

Quite a lot of people use high end AD converters to print their mix off the board. Also some use high end stereo DA for monitoring. In our studio we use Lavry Blues and Lavry Blacks depending on the song. We also have Lynx Aurora but Lavry Blue is always the final converter for AD and usually for monitoring (sometimes we use our Dangerous controller for DA).

When we track we'd normally use Lavry Blue AD if it's less than 4 channels at a time, so the MOTU 24Ao is useless without Spdif or AES.

If the Motu 24Ao could run spdif then it'd be perfect for anyone who has a 24 track console or summing mixer (like a Folcrom) and prints/monitors via a high end ADDA converter. That converter would also be a master clock. I've heard the Motu clocked to Lavry Blue and it definitely makes a positive difference. Also tried Apogee Big Ben, which again makes a difference (not necessarily positive, it just makes it sound more "Apogee" which a lot of people like for rock and pop).

Last edited by thepinups; 14th December 2014 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 14th December 2014
I need some help. I just got two 16Aa (replaced 3 2408 mk3s), they're connected to a nMP and a Toft ATB24. The guy at Sweeywater said I should hook up both w/a Thunderbolt cord on each. In reading the manual it says to hook up the second one via Ethernet. I've tried every combination. I am slaving the clock on the second one to the first. I'm only using the second one for an additional 8 outputs.

Problem: I can't get the second one (or additional Analog outputs) to show up in Digital Performer 8. The AVB software sees it and I've tried configuring as both Additional Outputs and an Interface.

Once I get it going I'll post a mix done through the 2408 mk3s and the 16As for comparison. I can already hear a big difference, especially in the low end.

EDIT: FIXED: for anyone else with this issue the key is enabling the AVB streams, making sure all the routing is correct. Man these things sound good.
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinups View Post
Dume41-

Quite a lot of people use high end AD converters to print their mix off the board. Also some use high end stereo DA for monitoring.
Definitely want the high end DA for monitoring. Running the board into a separate AD and then to spdif on the motu... makes total sense.

Thanks for that.

I was just thinking that because these boxes have TOS ports, a simple spdif coax to spdif optical would be the way to go. Set the optical port to SPDIF instead of ADAT. But it might make more sense to just get the box that already has everything you're looking for. So, yeah, I understand now.

Quote:
better is always better.........
Yes it is.
Old 15th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
I was just thinking that because these boxes have TOS ports, a simple spdif coax to spdif optical would be the way to go. Set the optical port to SPDIF instead of ADAT. But it might make more sense to just get the box that already has everything you're looking for. So, yeah, I understand now.
That's the thing. Unlike an RME Fireface, the MOTU does NOT allow users to switch the optical port to SPDIF from ADAT. Could be done with a firmware update apparently.

Come on MOTU, sort it out!!
Old 15th December 2014
Here for the gear

Oh. If I'm reading this correctly, that's why I couldn't get any sound from my Tivo's optical out into the Motu 24Ao. Even though it is an optical connection the ADAT and SPDIF connections are different protocols. Like I said, I'm trying to use this for home theater but I'm trying to learn from you pros. Appreciate your patience with me.

I do have a RME Fireface UC that I use with my mic for measurements so I guess I'll just use that until the Windows drivers come out for the Motu.
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
That's the thing. Unlike an RME Fireface, the MOTU does NOT allow users to switch the optical port to SPDIF from ADAT. Could be done with a firmware update apparently.
I think it would only give you a maximum of 4 channels optical SPDIF I/O as opposed to 8 or 16 ADAT.

Maybe an ADAT to AES/SPDIF converter would be more useful.
Old 15th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
I think it would only give you a maximum of 4 channels optical SPDIF I/O as opposed to 8 or 16 ADAT.

Maybe an ADAT to AES/SPDIF converter would be more useful.
4 channels of SPDIF is all we need (2 x AD, 2 x DA).

If the Motu 24Ao - with its current price point and sound quality - can run four SPDIF channels then it'd take a lot of business away from other interfaces. When clocked to the Lavry the Motu had more depth than Lynx Aurora to our ears.
Old 15th December 2014
Lives for gear

adat to 4 spdif? Never heard of this.
Why not just add a specific card or interface for your needs that is for your separate high end converter?
I have an rme card for aes and want the motu for multiple ad/da.
Old 15th December 2014
Gear Head

It's not one ADAT to 4 spdif, there's more than one pair of ADAT ports on the MOTU.

And yes we can buy an AES to ADAT converter but it takes up unnecessary space, more cables etc...
Old 15th December 2014
Yep... SPDIF i/o would be great on those units (16A and 24Ai and 24Ao)
Old 15th December 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
Yep... SPDIF i/o would be great on those units (16A and 24Ai and 24Ao)
They do have spdif on 1248/16a. It's just coaxial.
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
They do have spdif on 1248/16a. It's just coaxial.
Although it says so in the Tech Specs, I don't see a coax connection on the 16A neither see it on the software mixer screenshot.

I know the 1248 has it.
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
Although it says so in the Tech Specs, I don't see a coax connection on the 16A neither see it on the software mixer screenshot.

I know the 1248 has it.
The only coaxials my 16As have is for word clock.
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
The only coaxials my 16As have is for word clock.
Yep... so... no way to connect a stereo converter to it, right?
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:

I know the 1248 has it.
Ahh! I'll get that fixed right away. The 16A does not have RCA S/PDIF, though the 1248 does.
Old 15th December 2014
Lives for gear

I almost bought the 16a last week until I noticed it didn't actually have the spidf. It was a typo in the documentation. The only interface with it is the 1248 and it seems a large number of us are not into that. We need spidf on the 16a or the 24ai and 24ao.
Old 15th December 2014
Hey everyone!

Sorry for the long wait. I hope you all had a great weekend. I'm excited to announced the Windows USB drivers are now shipping! If you've already got a box, you need to update to today's firmware in addition to installing the new drivers.

MOTU.com - AVB

Quote:

Come on MOTU, sort it out!!
New update also allows you to switch optical bank A from ADAT to S/PDIF on the 1248, 16A and 8M.
Old 15th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Hey everyone!

Sorry for the long wait. I hope you all had a great weekend. I'm excited to announced the Windows USB drivers are now shipping! If you've already got a box, you need to update to today's firmware in addition to installing the new drivers.

New update also allows you to switch optical bank A from ADAT to S/PDIF on the 1248, 16A and 8M.
Sweet! I just ordered a 1248 today although it's backordered until the first week of January.

I'm looking forward to latency reports from PC users running Cubase 8.
Old 15th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Nice news!!!! where you guys and gals able to squeeze 32 in/out in windows usb or for now it´s 24i/o channles?
Old 15th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm excited to announced the Windows USB drivers are now shipping!
Is Win7 supported?
Old 15th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I am happy to report, that I received the Sonnet Presto Gigabit Pro PCIe card today and that AVB-ethernet is working in my Mac-Pro 5.1 as promised!
The exact Sonnet Part# that has the Broadcom chip is GE1000LAB-E, the previous GE1000LA-E version will not work (intel chipset).
This is AWESOME NEWS!!!

And I see that Windows drivers are out too.
Old 15th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
For people with a Mac-Pro 4.1/5.1 that run out of free PCIe-slots, there is an alternative to use the 'Airport' mini-PCIe x1-slot for the additional 'AVB-ethernet-card'.
NICE hack!!!
Old 15th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everyone!
Will you be doing this for the 24Ao? I have one and need it!
Old 15th December 2014
Bugger! Norwegian retail prices up by 20% due to increased USD value compared to NOK. Might take a while to complete my next MOTU investment...
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestalus View Post
Is Win7 supported?
Yup! Drivers are Windows 7 and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
Nice news!!!! where you guys and gals able to squeeze 32 in/out in windows usb or for now it´s 24i/o channles?
Still 24 in/24 out for now but it's coming.
Old 15th December 2014
Quote:
Hmmm...I'm not seeing this as an option after loading today's drivers. Any hints? Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search