The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
You can change the device name in the Device tab by clicking its name at the top of the page. The host name is based off the device's name so if you changed it to "balijon16a," its host name would become "balijon16" and you could access it via http://balijon16a.local. You can use just about any character in the name so you could do "balijon's 16A", but the hostname may have substituted characters (e.g., balijons-16a.local). Use the AVB Discovery app to find the new hostname in that case. If you're using only latin characters and symbols, you can also view the hostname from the front panel of the box.
Thanks, I tried this, but in the Mac-AVB-ethernet setup/mode, I can change it, but this is not stored somehow.
Old 9th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
Thanks, I tried this, but in the Mac-AVB-ethernet setup/mode, I can change it, but this is not stored somehow.
Aha! Looks like there's a bug changing the device name while acquired. If you uncheck the interface temporarily in the Network Browser in Audio MIDI Setup, you can change the name and it should stick.
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Aha! Looks like there's a bug changing the device name while acquired. If you uncheck the interface temporarily in the Network Browser in Audio MIDI Setup, you can change the name and it should stick.
Great, thanks! That fixed it.
Old 10th December 2014
Gear Addict

Just read through the entire thread... interesting as GS threads can be. Good to see some real-world information on these new interfaces.

Will be interesting to see how things go with an AVB-enabled NIC in a Mac Pro, as my main machine is a Mid 2010 48GB 3.33 12-core which right now has a pair of 2408MK3's connected digitally to my 02R96V2.

Watching...
Old 10th December 2014
Just wanted to let everyone know that we just added a new member to the AVB family, the Monitor 8 (MOTU.com - Overview). It's a monitor mixer and 6-channel headphone amp with AVB and USB connectivity, available now! Alongside that, we've got driver update 1.0.4 which includes a number of bug fixes.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Going to be a great line up of interfaces!
Old 10th December 2014
Gear Addict

And now this... covering all bases!

Monitor 8

Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Can someone say how many independent physical outputs the monitor 8 has?
Old 11th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Can someone say how many independent physical outputs the monitor 8 has?
Looks like 8 stereo to me.

A-F can be connected to 2 sets of headphone each and they have a balanced output (typically for stage monitors or a console I guess) = 12 mono outputs / 6 stereo

Main stereo + Aux stereo balanced = 4 mono outputs / 2 stereo

I just got a 1248 in yesterday. Build quality looks ok; not quite as sturdy as the Ensemble TB, which I decided to return. The screen is maybe not quite as cool as it looks in the pictures; the wording kind of blurs as you scroll through the parameters, but its great being able to monitor every I/O channel, which you can't do with the Ens TB, only ever the analog I/O. Haven't tested the audio yet against my Shadow Hills / Lavry Blue inputs.
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

I was thinking along those lines, so if this is as good quality as the 16A but offers 16 out and 8 in, I'm in.
Old 11th December 2014
Line outputs appear to be the same @ 123 db dynamic range.

But the line inputs state 110 db on the monitor 8, compared to 117 on the 16a / 1248.

Plus there's no firewire port on the Monitor 8
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Still waiting for those Windows drivers.......
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Yeah me too
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Head

for the Monitor-8.
I really enjoy the headphone-amps in the 1248.

Now the bets are on for the next unit that will be released in this great, market disruptive, series.
Our votes would be for an integration unit with multiple MADI and AES interfaces..
Old 12th December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demane22 View Post
Yeah me too
Me 3. I just received my 24Ao today. Is there anything I can do with it manually (front panel) or do I need to wait for PC drivers? Thanks.
Old 12th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Me 3. I just received my 24Ao today. Is there anything I can do with it manually (front panel) or do I need to wait for PC drivers? Thanks.
For now, if you plug it into your wireless router, you can access the web app from your PC or phone or whatever. It can be used standalone if you'd like or you could chain it to another interface via ADAT.
Old 12th December 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
For now, if you plug it into your wireless router, you can access the web app from your PC or phone or whatever. It can be used standalone if you'd like or you could chain it to another interface via ADAT.
Thanks mrmiller...but why did it take you so long to respond?

EDIT: mrmiller responded within a minute. Edited to state this since posts don't show date and time.
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Head

So I've had about a week's time with my 1248 and I must say... I'm quite impressed.

The most important aspect to me is the conversion. I have a Dangerous summing setup and I am really happy with what's going out (DA) and what's coming back into ProTools (AD) with this Motu box. Don't get me wrong I loved my Ensemble, but to me the Motu does a far better job at preserving the vibe of my summing. I always felt like I lost a little bit of that depth/width coming back into ProTools via the Ensemble, a slight collapse of the image. To me the Motu sounds wider and a little deeper.

It's been a few years since I was running my Rosetta, so my recollection of it sonically isn't as fresh as with the Ensemble. I do know I preferred the Rosetta's sound to the Ensemble. But so far this Motu box doesn't make me long for any of my former Apogee interfaces. Again, I'm quite impressed with it.

The mic pres and Hi-Z are decent. Certainly useable, fairly clean. I put them up against my Great River on a few sources. The GR was a bit more defined and deeper in the low end. And although I preferred the GR, it didn't CRUSH the 1248 by any means.

I'm really digging the routing/mixer thus far as well. Nice layout, very easy to use.

Of course this is all subjective. But I hope this helps somebody out.

Also, I'm running PT10 on MountainLion with a mid-2011 iMac and the 1248 via thunderbolt. Very stable.
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
Reply Sonnet:
Hi;

The card does support AVB, and the chipset is a Broadcom chipset.
I hope this helps.

Thank You,
Don
[email protected]

Yes, this helps! Problem solved, MacPro's are updatable to go for AVB...
Sonnet - Presto Gigabit Pro PCIe Card
I am happy to report, that I received the Sonnet Presto Gigabit Pro PCIe card today and that AVB-ethernet is working in my Mac-Pro 5.1 as promised!
The exact Sonnet Part# that has the Broadcom chip is GE1000LAB-E, the previous GE1000LA-E version will not work (intel chipset).
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-schermafbeelding-2014-12-12-om-17.40.32.jpg   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-schermafbeelding-2014-12-12-om-17.41.23.png   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-schermafbeelding-2014-12-12-om-17.41.44.png  
Old 12th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Things are still in development, so we'll see. We are definitely aware of how many people are avoiding Windows 8
I'll be finishing up a new PC build this weekend (i4790k, SSD's, etc.) and purchased Windows 8.1 specifically for use with a 1248. Do you have an ETA in the USB driver?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by demane22 View Post
Yeah me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I'll be finishing up a new PC build this weekend (i4790k, SSD's, etc.) and purchased Windows 8.1 specifically for use with a 1248. Do you have an ETA in the USB driver?

Thank you in advance.
I'll get back to you next week on that...
Old 12th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

Looks like MOTU 16A may be in my Christmas stocking after all.
Old 13th December 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudForest View Post

Looks like MOTU 16A may be in my Christmas stocking after all.
me too
Old 13th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visible Cow View Post
+1 for interest in Windows 7 support. I'd rather not upgrade to 8 right now.
Yes! Windows 7 works great and Windows 8 is the most annoying thing I've experienced yet.
Old 13th December 2014
Here for the gear

+1 Windows 7 support request.

Buying high quality conversion soon and the 16A is at the top of the list of contenders....
Old 13th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool! I'm still going to hang in to the Raydat for a while but I expect the 1248 to be an upgrade over the Apogee Rosetta 800.
Old 13th December 2014
Here for the gear

So I just hooked up the MOTU 24Ao to use with my Windows PC. I'm coming from a different side as I will use Jriver software on the PC to play movies and route different speakers (LF,LR,LS,C,RF,RR,RS,Midbasses,Subs,etc) to different outputs (Motu 24Ao), amps, and speakers. I also plan to use some of the left over outputs to route to the kitchen and back deck.

Since we don't have Windows drivers yet, I just hooked up the Motu 24Ao to the network and then used the Motu iPad app to control the 24Ao. Once I connected the 24Ao to the network, I fired up the Motu app and it found the 24Ao right away. One bug was that I couldn't rename the 24Ao even though it asked me to (text box wouldn't allow edits). But other than that, I just clicked through the initial setup and then got to the screen to update the firmware. I told it to download and it automatically downloaded the update, rebooted the 24Ao into update mode, installed the update, and then rebooted the Motu 24Ao. That was it, done. Real nice and easy update.

Now once I got into the 24Ao, I tried routing an optical input to the first XLR output and I guess I'm not real sure how to do that as the options I selected in the routing resulted in real bad feedback going to the amp. I just got this amp and I was actually trying to test the amp, so I don't know for a fact the XLR inputs on the amp work but the RCA inputs do. So I went ahead and unplugged everything and I'll work on it later when I have more time.

Overall, I was initially impressed as the iPad app made the updates and control really easy. I'll expand on my thoughts when I have more time.

I'm impatiently waiting for the Windows drivers but unlike the others, I'm using Windows 8 (desktop mode only with Start8 add-on). Windows 8 works great for me and I rarely ever see the Windows 8 Start screen that most people complain about.
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
MrMiller I have a request. I recently purchased a 24Ao. I haven't tested it yet. But it seemed worth a shot for expansion on my hybrid setup. As I am thinking about my main interface to go along with it I would love to see the 24Ai or 16a to have SPIDF in and out so I can use my high end 2 channel convertors for monitoring and overdubs and printing mixes. I know the 1248 offers SPIDF but I don't want pres or any of that. I just love the simple format of the 16a or the 24Ai + the 24ao for my hybrid set up. Using the Motu's for most of the heavy lifting and having the options for my other high end AD/DA for the most critical applications.

Thanks
Yes having spdif would make the 24ao a real option for quite a few of us!! Lots of people interested in the 24ao would have high end convertors that require spdif or AES connections.
Old 14th December 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinups View Post
Yes having spdif would make the 24ao a real option for quite a few of us!! Lots of people interested in the 24ao would have high end convertors that require spdif or AES connections.
We just finished selling off our 'high-end converters' and don't look back ..
For integration purposes with 'legacy' equipment we would welcome a AES and MADI unit. In broadcast and live-sound, MADI still has a large footprint.
Old 14th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinups View Post
The 16A seems meant to go out for summing and to bring multichannel live recording into the system.

The 1248 seems meant to be a central hub of a project studio.

Can you two enlighten me? If you don't want the MOTU's convertors OR preamps, what do you want it for at all? Why not just stick to your high end convertors?

If the answer is simply to get audio into and out of the convertors, then why not just use any old interface with spdif and stable drivers? And, of course, if you're on a mac, you already have SPDIF TOS optical output built in.

No disrespect intended. Just very curious.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search