The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Nut

Has anyone done and uploaded any soundtests against other interfaces?
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Nut

Thinking of getting a 16A for studio I/O on my 2011 MacBook Pro w/ OS 10.6.8 w/ PT10. Unfortunately the drivers seem to only support 10.8 and above - is this true?
Old 24th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncastic View Post
Thinking of getting a 16A for studio I/O on my 2011 MacBook Pro w/ OS 10.6.8 w/ PT10. Unfortunately the drivers seem to only support 10.8 and above - is this true?
True if you want to use Thunderbolt—we only support 10.8 and up. You should be able, however, to use USB under 10.6 with OS X's built-in USB class compliant audio driver. For the control software, you only need a modern web browser, e.g. a semi-recent version of Chrome.
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks mate! Will definitely be looking at using Thunderbolt. Will be looking to upgrade to Mav + 11 soon anyway. Cheers
Old 24th September 2014
Here for the gear

These questions were originally posted above, but maybe got lost in the background.

mrmiller,

Three questions.

1. As AVB devices, your new interfaces should be able to connect directly (or through a compliant switch) to a PC via Echo Streamware. Are you able to confirm this?

2. Are MOTU seeking or intending to seek AVnu certification for these devices?

3. Do they employ AVDECC (IEEE 1722.1)?

Thanks.
Old 24th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortenslumber View Post
These questions were originally posted above, but maybe got lost in the background.
Sorry for not responding sooner! I did see it but had to clarify some details with other members of the team.

Quote:
1. As AVB devices, your new interfaces should be able to connect directly (or through a compliant switch) to a PC via Echo Streamware. Are you able to confirm this?
In theory it should work but we haven't tested against the Echo card specifically.

Quote:
2. Are MOTU seeking or intending to seek AVnu certification for these devices?
We are definitely interested in AVnu certification! It's important to make sure everyone's AVB implementations can interoperate. That's the difficulty of an open standard like AVB, so it's great AVnu is there. That said, AVB's an incredibly flexible standard. Because of that flexibility, AVnu currently requires some features that aren't all that applicable to our use case that we haven't implemented yet. We're still looking into AVnu certification, though!

Quote:
3. Do they employ AVDECC (IEEE 1722.1)?
Yes, the interfaces fully support AVDECC and they advertise listener, talker and controller entities.
Old 24th September 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks mrmiller.

I mentioned the Echo solution specifically since it's the only PC implementation I'm aware of that is actually available in the market, and is recommended by UNH-IOL for interoperability testing with VIOLETT.
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Maniac
hello everyone, i'm brazilian. Trying to build up a home studio and to record and make some nice lives.

I'm not familiar with all the words and trying to keep up with the thread.

My question is:
Can i use MOTU 1248 to perform live gigs? for instance, can i use limiters, effects, plug-ins, eq, by connecting 1)guitar->MOTU1248input->MAC->MOTU1248output->AMP when live? I would like to use it in two guitar, one bass, and two mics. At the same time, can i record the gig?

The reasons is simple, my band is not aiming for big places to play in the beg so low level equipments (not that my equipments are good...) are to be expected.

on the other hand, we would like to delivery the best experience we can. We don't have the budget, so if i configure it before hand the gigs, can we expect better results?

Can you comment any experience in using audio interfaces in live gigs?

Thank you very much for your attention
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Maniac
hello everyone, i'm brazilian. Trying to build up a home studio and to record and make some nice lives.

I'm not familiar with all the words and trying to keep up with the thread.

My question is:
Can i use MOTU 1248 to perform live gigs? for instance, can i use limiters, effects, plug-ins, eq, by connecting 1)guitar->MOTU1248input->MAC->MOTU1248output->AMP when live? I would like to use it in two guitar, one bass, and two mics. At the same time, can i record the gig?

The reasons is simple, my band is not aiming for big places to play in the beg so low level equipments (not that my equipments are good...) are to be expected.

on the other hand, we would like to delivery the best experience we can. We don't have the budget, so if i configure it before hand the gigs, can we expect better results?

Can you comment any experience in using audio interfaces in live gigs?

Thank you very much for your attention
Old 24th September 2014
Well, that was quick! OSC API is now available!!

http://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/a...vb_osc_api.pdf
Old 24th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPittman View Post
Well, that was quick! OSC API is now available!!

http://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/a...vb_osc_api.pdf
Enjoy! Let us know if you have any issues or questions with the feature or the documentation.
Old 24th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
My question is:
Yup! In fact, the interfaces have built-in EQ, compression, gating, reverb and limiting. Depending on your needs, you may even be able to leave the computer at home. As well, if you keep all the processing in the interface and don't go into the computer, the roundtrip latency will be very low—only ~32 samples all told.
Old 25th September 2014
Here for the gear

mrmiller, or anyone else who already have bought one of these:
Can anyone comment on browser/interface performance? Which one (Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera, and iOS/android) seems to give the most responsive UI for the embedded mixer? Are they basically all good enough or is one browser a clearly better experience, with respect to responsiveness and multitouch capability?
Old 25th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiker View Post
mrmiller, or anyone else who already have bought one of these:
Can anyone comment on browser/interface performance? Which one (Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera, and iOS/android) seems to give the most responsive UI for the embedded mixer? Are they basically all good enough or is one browser a clearly better experience, with respect to responsiveness and multitouch capability?
Others should chime in with their own perspectives. From our end, they all work well, including IE, though there are differences and occasional browser bugs or quirks. Opera was the fastest by a slight margin in recent tests, followed by Chrome, Safari and then Firefox.

For mobile, it really depends more on the device itself. Older iPhones (e.g., iPhone 4) don't have much RAM which can cause issues. Android has so much variability it's hard to say.
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Nut

One thing that just came to my mind - I'm planning to use an external monitor in the studio using the MiniDisplay > HDMI adaptor, and also the 16A if I decide to go this route. However since there is no thru on the 16A for Thunderbolt I have no idea how to do this. Any suggestions?
Old 25th September 2014
New driver with OSC support just released. Hi-ha!
Old 25th September 2014
I believe there is no solution as of now - you would have to get a Thunderbolt display with loopthrough TB which only Apple does at the moment, quite an investment! Otherwise, you have to stick with USB.
Quote:
One thing that just came to my mind - I'm planning to use an external monitor in the studio using the MiniDisplay > HDMI adaptor, and also the 16A if I decide to go this route. However since there is no thru on the 16A for Thunderbolt I have no idea how to do this. Any suggestions?
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
what computer are you planning on using this with? my mbp has two thunderbolts and a hdmi out
Old 25th September 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Pick your poison. Some have included HDMI:
The best Thunderbolt docks for your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro

This will probably add latency, especially if you use all the other ports simultaneously.

Last edited by jiker; 25th September 2014 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 25th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvg99 View Post
New driver with OSC support just released. Hi-ha!
As you've discovered, we just released firmware update 1.1.0 yesterday along with driver update 1.0.2! We've also released documentation for using OSC with the interfaces, as well as HTTP for those so technically inclined. It's the same spec the web app uses to talk to the hardware so you can do some pretty powerful stuff.

Here's the changelog for the firmware:
  • Added OSC support for remote control of all device settings and mixer controls from any OSC-enabled controller (documentation).
  • Added an output routing widget at the top of each output channel strip in the Mixing tab, so you can make routing assignments for outputs without having to switch to the Routing tab.
  • Added a Personal Mix button to each Aux bus channel in the Aux Mixing tab, which opens a new web page that displays only that specific Aux Mix.
  • The Aux Mixing tab now allows control of Groups and the Reverb bus.
  • Improved the attack and release ranges for the Gate and Compressor.
  • Improved the 8M's analog input performance at higher sample rates.

And for the driver update (1.0.2):
  • Optimized Core Audio performance

Last edited by mrmiller; 25th September 2014 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Added link to OSC documentation
Old 25th September 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Hey Michael. I'm curious, why the delay on Windows drivers? I heard it may be til end if the year. It's not typical for you guys to have such a delay on Windows drivers.
Old 25th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Hey Michael. I'm curious, why the delay on Windows drivers? I heard it may be til end if the year. It's not typical for you guys to have such a delay on Windows drivers.
This is a completely new product and we needed to write new drivers from scratch (albeit with all the experience we already have). Our previous interfaces all were built on the same platform and so updating the driver to support a new interface only meant incremental changes. Since this is a from-the-ground-up new driver, it's a huge amount of initial work. Maintaining and improving it to support new interfaces, however, will be much more straightforward.

We're really excited about these interfaces and wanted to share them with you all as soon as possible. Rather than delay the device until Windows was ready, we decided to release it with only Mac support initially. That way, at least some of you can use it and give us feedback while we toil away on the Windows side!
Old 26th September 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for the update, Mr. Miller.

I think it's good to at least know something about what's the status with the Windows drivers.

Please, keep us informed? I'm following this thread closely, as I plan on having a MOTU 1248 as my primary audio interface on a Windows PC.

Naturally, I'd like to know all I can about what's going on with these new audio interfaces.
Old 26th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperfuzz View Post
what computer are you planning on using this with? my mbp has two thunderbolts and a hdmi out
I've got a 2011MBP - just one Thunderbolt out. However will probably upgrade to the new Mac Mini once it's released at some stage so it's not too much of an issue really. Will have to stick to one 15" screen for the time being!
Old 26th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasabarnes View Post
Please, keep us informed? I'm following this thread closely, as I plan on having a MOTU 1248 as my primary audio interface on a Windows PC.

Naturally, I'd like to know all I can about what's going on with these new audio interfaces.
Of course! I'll continue to keep you all updated as things develop, answering questions and working to fix any issues. Feel free to PM me as well.
Old 26th September 2014
Here for the gear

Hello,

mrmiller, any progress on making possible to configure one of ADAT ports in 16A to Toslink (SP/DIF) to overcome the lack of 2 channel digital output? I believe this was mentioned somewhere in this thread as a possibility for future firmware update.

Thanks in advance,

Mac
Old 27th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthdance View Post
mrmiller, any progress on making possible to configure one of ADAT ports in 16A to Toslink (SP/DIF) to overcome the lack of 2 channel digital output? I believe this was mentioned somewhere in this thread as a possibility for future firmware update.
No update yet. Will let you know when that changes!
Old 27th September 2014
Lives for gear

Watching with great interest... had to sell most of my gear last winter, and it looks like the 1248 could get me back in the game without breaking the bank!
Old 28th September 2014
The AVB series implementation of OSC works great and in a way I would like ported to CueMix FX.
One question to @mrmiller: Any chance of adding limiter/compressor to the AUXs?
Old 30th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvg99 View Post
The AVB series implementation of OSC works great and in a way I would like ported to CueMix FX.
One question to @mrmiller: Any chance of adding limiter/compressor to the AUXs?
Glad to hear the OSC's working well! Let me know if you run into anything with it.

Unfortunately, we're pushing the DSP chip to the limit as is and don't really have any capacity to add limiters/compressors to the auxes. I assume you've already used up the groups and their levelers?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search