The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
They don't use CueMix - CueMix is for the previous generation of MOTU interfaces.

The settings of the AVB interfaces (including mixing) are controlled through a web browser, referred to as "Pro Audio Control"

When you have linked and configured two units together via AVB your DAW only recognises the unit that is connected via USB/TB. Channels on the "slave" unit are seen as additional inputs and outputs on the primary unit.
Ok, so I would see an aggregate number of inputs and outputs in the DAW, which would start incrementing from the master (inputs 1-14 would be the 1248 as master via TB, with inputs 15 to 22 the 828es, as slave)
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
MOTU tech support seemed to think it would be doable and straightforward, so fingers crossed.

I could keep the Qu-24 too, and just run outs from the MOTUs to the Qu stereo inputs, but I’d rather sell it.
As noted by Billy Budd, it's not CueMix anymore, but a new web browser based interface.

Regarding it's ease of use, there are 2 separate considerations:-

1) Managing the AVB device itself, routing, setting up mixes etc - there IS a learning curve here, but it's easy enough if you take it slow, and reference the manual and videos. Getting the routing panel nailed and how changes to the device translates to your DAW is critical here. Each device is a 48 channel DSP mixer so the screens can get a bit busy dependening on what you are trying to achieve - the bigger the session, the more there is to manage obviously.

2) Assuming you as main engineer have set up your all the routings correctly, and set up use of Cues etc, then for each performer, control of their own Aux mix is really easy, provided they get given the link and an overview of how to setup their cue mix for what they want to do.

Essentially it works as follows:-

i) Each aux/cue mix get's it's own browser URL
ii) Performer opens up 'their' cue mix on a tablet / fone - in my band i had 2 7" Android tablets that 2 guys used, and the singer brought his own Android tablet
iii) With each performer show em the basics of the cue mix - for a full band session there were usually 14 inputs that could be balanced - 10 drum channels, 2 guide guitars, guide vocals and guide bass. Obviously for foldback, these could be grouped if necesary and condensed down to a smaller number of channels. Our drummer was picky, and wanted complete control of his own drum monitor mix.
iii) what ever changes made are cached on the client device, so if session is over 2 days, it's all good

I wouldn't say my band were luddites, but they not silicon valley alumni either, and there weren't any issues, they were able to manage their own mixes easily enough with a basic overview of the aux mixer. The other bands i've had up didn't have any issues to speak of either, and were very happy with the monitor mixes they were able to pull together.

NB - I have the Monitor 8, and if you don't have that device as part of your AVB setup, then individual cues with 'more-me' won't be as easy to achieve - you will need to use dedicated outputs of your device and route to a headphone amp etc, but AFAIK, all Motu AVB devices have the core Aux / Cue functionality in the DSP mixer.
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
As noted by Billy Budd, it's not CueMix anymore, but a new web browser based interface.

Regarding it's ease of use, there are 2 separate considerations:-

1) Managing the AVB device itself, routing, setting up mixes etc - there IS a learning curve here, but it's easy enough if you take it slow, and reference the manual and videos. Getting the routing panel nailed and how changes to the device translates to your DAW is critical here. Each device is a 48 channel DSP mixer so the screens can get a bit busy dependening on what you are trying to achieve - the bigger the session, the more there is to manage obviously.

2) Assuming you as main engineer have set up your all the routings correctly, and set up use of Cues etc, then for each performer, control of their own Aux mix is really easy, provided they get given the link and an overview of how to setup their cue mix for what they want to do.

Essentially it works as follows:-

i) Each aux/cue mix get's it's own browser URL
ii) Performer opens up 'their' cue mix on a tablet / fone - in my band i had 2 7" Android tablets that 2 guys used, and the singer brought his own Android tablet
iii) With each performer show em the basics of the cue mix - for a full band session there were usually 14 inputs that could be balanced - 10 drum channels, 2 guide guitars, guide vocals and guide bass. Obviously for foldback, these could be grouped if necesary and condensed down to a smaller number of channels. Our drummer was picky, and wanted complete control of his own drum monitor mix.
iii) what ever changes made are cached on the client device, so if session is over 2 days, it's all good

I wouldn't say my band were luddites, but they not silicon valley alumni either, and there weren't any issues, they were able to manage their own mixes easily enough with a basic overview of the aux mixer. The other bands i've had up didn't have any issues to speak of either, and were very happy with the monitor mixes they were able to pull together.

NB - I have the Monitor 8, and if you don't have that device as part of your AVB setup, then individual cues with 'more-me' won't be as easy to achieve - you will need to use dedicated outputs of your device and route to a headphone amp etc, but AFAIK, all Motu AVB devices have the core Aux / Cue functionality in the DSP mixer.
Right on.

Yeah I have 4 Behringer PowerPlay P1 personal headphone amps. Dual XLR for stereo input, 9V battery or adapter for power and has a mic threading so I have them mounted on straight stands. One of Behringers unheralded products for sure.
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
ponzi,

This can be done, but likely not with the cable you found. I've tested a variety of adapters that work well for this. The Apple Type C (Thunderbolt 3) to Thundebolt 2 adapter should work. As should the Startech Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter.
i have a new mcbook pro with only 4 usb-c connections. been using a usb-c to usb 2 tree fine, but wanted get a more direct link to the 16A.

I got a USB-c cable to the thunderbolt/minidisplay port connection. motui discovery does not find the thunderbolt connection.

only sees the jimmied usb link..

any thoughts on how to get the usb-c to minidisplay port cable to be recognized and work?
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Maniac

You need an adapter to go from Tbolt 3 to 2.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207266 Then a Thunderbolt 2 cable.
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna View Post
You need an adapter to go from Tbolt 3 to 2.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207266 Then a Thunderbolt 2 cable.
it says in spec:

"This adapter is not compatible with USB-C ports that don't support Thunderbolt 3, such as USB-C hubs or the USB-C port on MacBook models from 2015 or later."

i've a 2017 touchbar mbp
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbang View Post
it says in spec:

"This adapter is not compatible with USB-C ports that don't support Thunderbolt 3, such as USB-C hubs or the USB-C port on MacBook models from 2015 or later."

i've a 2017 touchbar mbp
So that shouldn't be problem, because the incompatible lineup is MacBook (the weakest ones with single USB-C connector without TB support), you have a MacBook Pro, which has TB.

Michal
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Some things just seem like they're not meant to be, and require heroic effort if they can be made to work at all. My 828es works great with usb 2. It may be that I need super low latency to record singing, but I have not tried that yet. I think guitar can handle 20ms latency no prob as that is like being 10 feet in front of the amp. Thunderbolt on a pc is another heroic effort type thing and I will not do it as long as usb works.

Next gen of motu will have usb c or 3 or whatver all names this has been given. I will be interested how those work. I think the 828 could do the job more than 10 yrs as it does such a good job.
Yes, I'll take stability over latency any day anyways. But, I don't have a need for monitoring through the DAW since I have a console. Also, using the routing in the Motu software allows you to have very low latency within the unit and send it out wherever you want.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoltap View Post
Yes, I'll take stability over latency any day anyways. But, I don't have a need for monitoring through the DAW since I have a console. Also, using the routing in the Motu software allows you to have very low latency within the unit and send it out wherever you want.
I am trying a setup with a digital recorder instead of using a separate computer plus DAW to recird. I can monitor at the 8pre-es headphone at low latenfy and not worry anymore about what is happening on the Mac unless I need to create a muktitrack recording for some reason which is seldom at the moment.
Old 15th August 2020
Here for the gear
Guys 2x question about AVB ultralite.

1. Are there on internet any presets to find for the motu mixer for the EQ/ Reverb etc.. I mean a complete voice presets, guitar presets etc..

2. AVB have ADAT in/out. Can i connect another audio interface on another machine together to get the sound signal? Such as on Motu route From Computer 1-2 to ADAT 1 output. On the another machine ADAT 1 in? Should that be work?
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seirsoba13 View Post
Guys 2x question about AVB ultralite.

1. Are there on internet any presets to find for the motu mixer for the EQ/ Reverb etc.. I mean a complete voice presets, guitar presets etc..

2. AVB have ADAT in/out. Can i connect another audio interface on another machine together to get the sound signal? Such as on Motu route From Computer 1-2 to ADAT 1 output. On the another machine ADAT 1 in? Should that be work?
I have my pc feeding ADAT audio through the PCIE audio interface a ADAT out, into my Motu AVB interface. Works fine.
Old 15th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
I have my pc feeding ADAT audio through the PCIE audio interface a ADAT out, into my Motu AVB interface. Works fine.
And do you experince any latency or is it in your situation only to play music?
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seirsoba13 View Post
And do you experince any latency or is it in your situation only to play music?
I am mostly monitoring directly from my 8pre-es and my music is generated by a combination of my playing a synth or midi sequences. My DAW runs in a pretty fast PC and sequenced MidI comes out through An RME pcie interface.

I run my DAW at 32 samples so I am getting pretty low latency.

I don’t really perceive any latency when i play or in the sequencing. I record in a different place than my DAW, either another DAW or a digital recorder. I don’t monitor through the recording device,so what I hear is from the monitor, and i simply trust that what is recorded is pretty close to what I hear. Which is true, since it’s all digital. If the monitored mix sounds good, the recording will.

I am not good at this engineering stuff, I just cobbled it together, like buying wine, spend as much as I can afford and trial and errors.
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared the little 8A to the 1248? I'm currently using the latter and am happy, but will need something more portable in the near future.

I believe the converters are the same, and I am just using line inputs rather than the built-in pres, so are there are any hidden compromises under the hood in the smaller one? How is the headphone amp?
Old 16th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
I am mostly monitoring directly from my 8pre-es and my music is generated by a combination of my playing a synth or midi sequences. My DAW runs in a pretty fast PC and sequenced MidI comes out through An RME pcie interface.

I run my DAW at 32 samples so I am getting pretty low latency.

I don’t really perceive any latency when i play or in the sequencing. I record in a different place than my DAW, either another DAW or a digital recorder. I don’t monitor through the recording device,so what I hear is from the monitor, and i simply trust that what is recorded is pretty close to what I hear. Which is true, since it’s all digital. If the monitored mix sounds good, the recording will.

I am not good at this engineering stuff, I just cobbled it together, like buying wine, spend as much as I can afford and trial and errors.
Tested!! I get really zero latancy... so happy as a crying child after getting some Car gadget... ADAT out from Motu and then ADAT in to motu. Thank you for your advice.
Old 16th August 2020
Here for the gear
I have Ultralite AVB with just 1x phone output.

My second phone is on analog out 1-2

My target is:

1. Listen the phones together to hear same Mix.
2. Get the sound to the 2 different Speakers to compare mix. In this case Main Output and Analog Out 3-4
3. Listen the track coming out from DAW with EQ's enabled in Motu and without EQ.

What should be the best routing for that, should i use groups for that also? The second phone which is on the Analog out 1-2 give me what problems on my target i thing.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Are there any new developments on the horizon in connecting avb to a Mac via ethernet cable?
I know it's been unstable with recent releases of macOS.
Thank you!
📝 Reply