The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface
Old 18th July 2019
  #3931
Thunderbolt is working quite well on my new build. Asus Prime Deluxe II / Startech Tb3 to Tb2 adapter / 1248.
Old 18th July 2019
  #3932
No complaints with USB here... my aging Mac Pro doesn't support TB (unless one is willing to engage in heroic measures to load Windows TB drivers supporting a Titan Ridge PCIe card) but USB has served me well with my 828es. I've recorded as many as 15 simultaneous inputs while providing five stereo monitor mixes to performers/control room.
Old 18th July 2019
  #3933
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

... and of course MOTU rewrote the AVB-USB driver to be able to handle 64 simultaneous input-and-output streams, an impressive increase from the initial 24 (I think) and later 32.
Old 18th July 2019
  #3934
Gear Maniac
 

I am getting good multitrack performance with USB, but I wanted to be able to achieve lower latencies working with large film scoring projects. I know thunderbolt can help in this regard because it should be similar to PCI performance (I wonder if Motu using TB with could perform as RME in low latency enviroments).

So, the ones that have had success working in windows with Motu TB, do you find you can work with smaller buffers or low latency?
Anybody else with TB horrow stories?
Old 19th July 2019
  #3935
Just to note, I work with VIs for many of my projects and have not had a problem with latency, even via USB.

Of course, this depends on the computer's ability to handle whatever is being thrown at it, and that can mean a lot of VIs in a heavy project. When I have needed to use a workaround, like a part being added late in a big project when the buffer size is necessarily large, I'll often use a similar on-board sound in my keyboard to perform (monitored with no latency via the MOTU interface's built-in hardware mixer) then replace with a VI on playback.

Good luck in your pursuit of TB Pablo! In addition to the issue posed by my 5,1 Mac Pro's lack of TB support, the distance to my my machine room requires a TB cable that pushes the length allowed for TB, (unless I move the interface into the machine room... now there's a thought!)
Old 19th July 2019
  #3936
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
I am getting good multitrack performance with USB, but I wanted to be able to achieve lower latencies working with large film scoring projects. I know thunderbolt can help in this regard because it should be similar to PCI performance (I wonder if Motu using TB with could perform as RME in low latency enviroments).
All I know, Pablo, is that with USB you're looking at around 4.5ms and TB perhaps 1.5->2ms.

This is the interface-and-driver's unalterable latency, of course, and anything you add via buffer size is added to this. IMHO, when you look at it this way, the difference between USB and TB "performance" is only a 2ms differential between your overall latency, which at a buffer setting of, say, 128, isn't gonna be noticed. Haven't done the calculations for lower buffer settings, but you get the idea. If it's 12ms, it's the difference between 10 and 12, and so on - not a big deal IMHO.
Old 20th July 2019
  #3937
8M with Titan Ridge

I upgraded my motherboard to Gigabyte z390M gaming and added a GC'Titan Ridge thunderbolt card. Bought the Apple TB3->TB2 dongle and are now rocking stable 16/16 buffers on 48 kHz. Less CPU overhead than USB and as stable as it gets.
Old 21st July 2019
  #3938
Here for the gear
 

Hi.
I would like to move to a faster computer than my current i7 2700K, so I have a two sharp question:

Can I connect Motu 16A via the Thunderbolt bus to the Motherboard ASUS Pime Z390 A or any other ASUS MB on an intel Z390 chipset that has a TB_Header connector + TBT3 controller ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 (Windows 10 64 1903 platform).

If such connection possible, will I need Thunderbolt convertion TB3->TB cables and what advice can I give to implement such a connection ?

Will this Apple TB3->TB Converter work?

Or do you need a higher cost HighPoint TB3->TB converter ?

Thank you
Old 28th July 2019
  #3939
Here for the gear
 

Help me, please
Old 28th July 2019
  #3940
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGeForce View Post
Help me, please
The person in the post before yours reports success with a Gigabyte Z390 and the Apple TB3>TB2 converter. I would expect it to work with your board too.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #3941
Gear Head
 

MOTU has released a new Windows driver. After one evening of using it, it seems that Windows Thunderbolt finally works with my 828ES.
Old 6th August 2019
  #3942
Gear Maniac
 
tagpass's Avatar
Been humming along with my 16A and 828es combo for a while now, but recently came across a strange issue which I cannot seem to resolve after shifting around some gear in the studio.

In Pro Audio Control, I can no longer change the routing to anything in the Aux buses via the Mixer tab. I have to patch outputs via the matrix on the routing tab, and I can select from pop-up windows in Touch Control, but if I am in Mixer (my preferred view), and I select the routing icon on any Aux bus, the pop-up simply lists "None" and there are no items to select. Even when those buses have been patched in the other views and are passing audio correctly, the Aux bus still displays "None".

I have tried reinstalling the latest version of the software, updating drivers, etc. Still no change.

Oddly, I had just the 16A setup on its own for a while, and the problem went away -- I could freely make changes as I had been doing all along. As soon as the 828 was added back in, the list reverts to "None" again.

Again, there *is* a workaround, but I lose patience with having to relearn the matrix anytime I want to make a change in the way things are hooked up. Has anyone else had this issue with their 828es?
Old 6th August 2019
  #3943
Gear Maniac
 

Hi, I started an offline firmware update on my 24ao and it got stuck in "waiting for device" when it timed out, I tried again and now is stuck in "uploading".

I don´t want to turn the interface off or disconnect it, what should I do to get it out of update mode without breaking it?

Thanks!
Old 6th August 2019
  #3944
Lives for gear
 
adamj31's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagpass View Post
Been humming along with my 16A and 828es combo for a while now, but recently came across a strange issue which I cannot seem to resolve after shifting around some gear in the studio.

In Pro Audio Control, I can no longer change the routing to anything in the Aux buses via the Mixer tab. I have to patch outputs via the matrix on the routing tab, and I can select from pop-up windows in Touch Control, but if I am in Mixer (my preferred view), and I select the routing icon on any Aux bus, the pop-up simply lists "None" and there are no items to select. Even when those buses have been patched in the other views and are passing audio correctly, the Aux bus still displays "None".

I have tried reinstalling the latest version of the software, updating drivers, etc. Still no change.

Oddly, I had just the 16A setup on its own for a while, and the problem went away -- I could freely make changes as I had been doing all along. As soon as the 828 was added back in, the list reverts to "None" again.

Again, there *is* a workaround, but I lose patience with having to relearn the matrix anytime I want to make a change in the way things are hooked up. Has anyone else had this issue with their 828es?
I've got that same combo. I will try later tonight to see what I see on my end.
Old 6th August 2019
  #3945
Gear Maniac
 
standup's Avatar
Anybody else having trouble changing sample rates? It never goes smoothly either on the web control panel or with knobs. External master from focusrite 428 over optical.
Old 12th August 2019
  #3946
Lives for gear
 
JanZoo's Avatar
Guys,

I'm thinking of buying a Motu 8A or Motu 16A, to use as a standalone ad/da converter slaved to HDSP9652.

And I have one question, will it change sample rate accordingly to the sample rate it's getting via adat from HDSP9652 or should I switch on its app and manually switch sample rate of the 16a/8a to match the sample rate from HDSP9652 ?

Thanks
Old 12th August 2019
  #3947
Gear Maniac
 
locojohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post
And I have one question, will it change sample rate accordingly to the sample rate it's getting via adat from HDSP9652 or should I switch on its app and manually switch sample rate of the 16a/8a to match the sample rate from HDSP9652 ?Thanks
If you configure Clock Mode in MOTU Pro Audio Control to receive incoming sample rate from either of the sources in the dropdown, it should automatically switch sample rate based on the input source sample rate.

Andrejs
Old 12th August 2019
  #3948
Lives for gear
 
JanZoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
If you configure Clock Mode in MOTU Pro Audio Control to receive incoming sample rate from either of the sources in the dropdown, it should automatically switch sample rate based on the input source sample rate.

Andrejs
Great!!!!

So it's safe to say that 8a and 16a can be used as purely standalone AD/DA converters with no problem? Thanks
Old 12th August 2019
  #3949
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post
So it's safe to say that 8a and 16a can be used as purely standalone AD/DA converters with no problem? Thanks
Standalone as compared to what? They don’t have mic pres at all so all they are is converters. Unless you mean vs having to interface to computer in which case yes. I use 16a for 16 more ad/da inputs and outputs via adat to apogee Ensemble which is my primary interface.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3950
I'm having a real tough time comprehending some routing here. Maybe someone can help?

I've had a 16A for a few months. Had it all set up the way I wanted: a bunch of audio in to the built-in mixer, mixer post effects out to the computer (Bitwig / Live / Logic) and the flexibility to route audio back out to external effects, which come back into the 16A and to their respective channels for recording in the DAW.. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on all this...

So I bought a 1248 to go with it. Now I'm confused.

I mostly wanted more inputs and dedicated outputs (with volume controls) for monitoring, mains and headphones so the 1248 seemed perfect. But what I can't yet wrap my mind around is how these work together. I'm so confused. The AVB stream thing is just not making sense to me.



I was able to get as far as having all my 16a input audio hit the 1248 (which is connected via TB to the computer) and be seen in my DAW (on the 1248 page: 16A:1 -> To Computer). But where I lose sight of all this is when I start thinking about routing an instrument's output to another unit's input, when the signal is jumping between interfaces. With the AVB stream not maintaining channel names from one interface to the next it just gets a little crazy.

Anyone have any advice or a link to a tutorial or relevant thread on this? The TechLinks are just not doing the trick for me.

Last edited by betteroffted; 3 weeks ago at 04:08 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3951
Gear Maniac
 
hebjam's Avatar
 

Using my 624 I suddenly get the error, on both my iPhone and Mac Pro, that ‘ the USB accessory is drawing too much power’. Won’t work anymore! Anyone had this?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3952
Here for the gear
I need some help with routing the 16A. Currently I've got simply my external headphone amp connected and it's working as it is supposed to. What I want to do is to hear the sound of my DAW playing at the same time while hearing what I'm recording via the analog-in 1&2 inputs.

With this setting I only hear my DAW:
https://i.ibb.co/VpWyp2S/motu-daw.jpg

With this setting I only hear the analog 1&2 inputs:
https://i.ibb.co/LCfNq47/motu-analog12.jpg
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3953
din
Gear Maniac
 
din's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by out.formation View Post
I need some help with routing the 16A. Currently I've got simply my external headphone amp connected and it's working as it is supposed to. What I want to do is to hear the sound of my DAW playing at the same time while hearing what I'm recording via the analog-in 1&2 inputs.

With this setting I only hear my DAW:
https://i.ibb.co/VpWyp2S/motu-daw.jpg

With this setting I only hear the analog 1&2 inputs:
https://i.ibb.co/LCfNq47/motu-analog12.jpg
You need to have "Input 1/2" and your "From Computer" going to "Mix In".
Then you can send "Main Mix" to whichever outputs you want (speakers and/or headphones).

I prefer to have the DAW signal skip the internal mixer and I send "From Computer" straight out through outputs 5/6 so that it skips the mixer and Sonarworks that I have applied to the speakers.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3954
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
The routing matrix takes a bit to get your head around, but once you’ve got it you’ll find it incredibly easy to set up and leave alone (until you add more gear.)

There were two key insights for me:
  • The items across the top are “sources” and the items down the left are “destinations.”
  • Most signals go through the matrix twice. Once from a physical input to a mixer input, and a second time from a mixer output to a physical output.

In your setup all your sources, such as analog and digital inputs plus your “from computer” inputs, should be connected to mixer inputs “In 1” through however many you need to accommodate every channel you use at once. That gets everything into the mixer where you can blend signals to taste without touching the matrix.

Then your “Main L/R” and “Monitor L/R” sources should be connected to your analog 1/2 outputs and headphone outputs, respectively. Now you can hear everything coming out of the mixer through the main outputs, and the headphones will be identical until you solo something, which is what causes the monitor mix to diverge from the mains.

Does that make sense? Once you have this in place you can start thinking about using other analog outs as sends from aux or group busses.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3955
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by din View Post
I prefer to have the DAW signal skip the internal mixer and I send "From Computer" straight out through outputs 5/6 so that it skips the mixer and Sonarworks that I have applied to the speakers.
There’s certainly nothing wrong with any approach. If it works for you, it’s totally valid.

The more conventional approach to this, however, would be to assign output 5/6 as a stereo pair destination from a group or aux bus. Then the “from computer” channels can be muted in the main bus, and active for the relevant sub-bus - until you decide you need to monitor them for any reason, and then you can quickly unmute them on the mains and fade them in to any desired level without having to re-route your matrix. Or solo them, etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3956
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
...There were two key insights for me:
  • The items across the top are “sources” and the items down the left are “destinations.”
  • Most signals go through the matrix twice. Once from a physical input to a mixer input, and a second time from a mixer output to a physical output.

In your setup all your sources, such as analog and digital inputs plus your “from computer” inputs, should be connected to mixer inputs “In 1” through however many you need to accommodate every channel you use at once. That gets everything into the mixer where you can blend signals to taste without touching the matrix.

Then your “Main L/R” and “Monitor L/R” sources should be connected to your analog 1/2 outputs and headphone outputs, respectively. Now you can hear everything coming out of the mixer through the main outputs, and the headphones will be identical until you solo something, which is what causes the monitor mix to diverge from the mains...
MOTU would be well advised to take this core of information and incorporate it into their product literature. And in the past we have already observed that all would benefit by a rename of their row and column names. I thought of sources and sinks once I figured this out.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3957
Here for the gear
Got it. Many thanks Lady Gaia & Din
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3958
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Thanks Lady Gaia! MOTU's routing totally confuses me. I'm old school, so split console etc. I just think completely opposite of how MOTU does things.

For me, the most difficult part was learning what is "inside the computer" vs what goes out of the computer or external input into the computer and how to incorporate that into the mixer.

So essentially, the entire set up confused me. Hahahha!

And to think, I picked up the basics of RME TotalMix rather quickly so it's not like I'm a complete idiot, it's just the way I visualize the signal routing.

Thanks again for your explanation.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3959
Gear Maniac
 
hebjam's Avatar
 

Anyone know if there is a schematic for the 624?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3960
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
...For me, the most difficult part was learning what is "inside the computer" vs what goes out of the computer or external input into the computer and how to incorporate that into the mixer. ...
That threw me for a while too--the hardware and computer inputs and outputs are right next to each other on their row. As the good lady says, I got it set up after much trial and error, and I just leave it alone, hoping I don't have do dive in again--but I finally believe I do understand it--its just a visual metaphor unlike anything I have seen before.

One suggestion is to think of the routing matrix as a patch bay--that's really what it is.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump