The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
They better improve their drivers indeed – their last updates are from fall 2018.
Time since last update is not a good metric to determine driver quality.

I have used MOTU products since around 2003, and their drivers have always been rock-solid. In the over 15 years that have followed, I have never needed to update or reinstall a MOTU driver (except when updating an operating system).

(I do not yet have any current MOTU products, I'm just saying that a long time since last update isn't a good argument that drivers need updating)
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
I have used MOTU products since around 2003, and their drivers have always been rock-solid. In the over 15 years that have followed, I have never needed to update or reinstall a MOTU driver (except when updating an operating system).

(I do not yet have any current MOTU products, I'm just saying that a long time since last update isn't a good argument that drivers need updating)
For you maybe it isn't. For me it shows this isn't their priority now.

I do have a current product (828es) and sometimes experience glitches related to changing clock frequency and also some minor issues with the browser/mixer. I wish they had indeed updated their drivers for 828es so as to mitigate those issues. (I did report both to MOTU technical support in 2018)

Andrejs
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Hi, I searched this thread for mac os 10.14.4 but not results.
I used to run my 1248 and 16A on my old mac pro 2008. This mac pro may need to be retired (will try to revive it but that's for later).

Anyway I need to setup my Motu AVB interfaces 1248 and 16A with my Mac Book Pro Late 2013 running Mojave 10.14.4

Any known issues with Mac OS 10.14.4? I know AVB was not recommended with 10.12 and 10.13.

Thank you!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Been using Motu AVB Monitor 8 since around 2013 I think and there are still plenty of wee things that niggle / rankle with me in the AVB Apps - especially the main web app. The interface is in the main pretty damn solid and sounds good but the software is a mixed bag and could be so much more than it is today:-

1. Mix tab presets are next to useless as you can't rename mix channels without messing up your routing names. E.g. I have pretty much fixed routing in the routing tab that never changes (in terms of sources and outputs), but i'd really like to be able to names mix channels differently in different presets and show or hide them in that preset. Nope can't do this!

2. Most recent firmware basically completely changed the AUX mix to a touch implementation losing a lot of functionality from the old tab - response from Motu was downgrade firmware to get the old functionality back. My take from this is if I want the Aux mixer from 1.32 then I have to stay on that firmware forever more...

3. Periodic issues with distortion on recording - highly intermittent and seems to be a driver/Windows 10/clocking related issue. Touch wood i have not had it happen for a while, meaning that Windows 10 updates have addressed the issue, but response from Motu on the issue did not give much confidence. The most annoying thing about it was the distortion would only manifest on what was actually recorded not what was monitored, meaning it was easy to miss when tracking unless you dilligently did some test recordings...

4. Volume bump/hiccup on boot means you need to remember to keep your monitors and sub off whilst power-cycling and is easy to forget and it's not a small volume bump...

5. This is admittedly minor but it's surely an easy one to fix - the interface ships with a bunch of device presets to get you started - and you can delete them from the app, which is great... until you power-cycle and they magically reappear! I like to use the front dial to pick one of 3 device presets I created, but after every reboot all the stock crap reappears and I have to scroll paste them all...

Just a wee vent, seriously looking at the Cranborne R8 as main interface to replace the Monitor 8...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi,

I'm considering a BSS BLU-805 sound processor which is avb enabled. Has anyone already tried to connect it to a motu avb soundcard (1248 in my case) through AVB ?
I'd like to be sure it will work before the purchase.
Old 3 weeks ago
Hello, left this on the 828 es thread a couple weeks ago but its been a bit quiet. Figure I'd post here too. Thanks in advance:

Hello all, just wanted to ask a few questions:

• Can use the 2 mic in's + 8 trs at the same time? Pretty sure you can but wanted to double check.

• And if your using the sends on the mic in's, you have to route the return to either another input, or another input on a connected interface?

• Does the original mic inputed get multed at all? So, curious if you can record the mic inputs to their respective converters and also take the 2 sends to also record through some processing?

• Are you finding AVB to be a better (faster/solid) connection than adat or spdif?

• And also curious if anyone has compared the conversion the Apollo X line...

• Any issue with using IO for hybrid mixing (ie: different volume levels etc)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Hello, left this on the 828 es thread a couple weeks ago but its been a bit quiet. Figure I'd post here too. Thanks in advance:

Hello all, just wanted to ask a few questions:

• Can use the 2 mic in's + 8 trs at the same time? Pretty sure you can but wanted to double check.
Absolutely. There are ten entirely independent analog inputs that can be used simultaneously without limitation ... plus all the digital inputs via coaxial, optical, and AVB. There’s also the Talk mic on the unit itself but I don’t think anyone would try to use it for serious recording purposes - just for communicating via the monitoring system.

Quote:
• And if your using the sends on the mic in's, you have to route the return to either another input, or another input on a connected interface?
That’s correct. Chances are you can access the pre-send signal for that input, but to get the return signal you need to dedicate another input.

Quote:
• Does the original mic inputed get multed at all? So, curious if you can record the mic inputs to their respective converters and also take the 2 sends to also record through some processing?
I believe so, as suggested above, but I haven’t confirmed experimentally. Perhaps another owner can weigh in?

Quote:
• Are you finding AVB to be a better (faster/solid) connection than adat or spdif?
It’s definitely lower latency and much more flexible, but I can’t speak to reliability under heavy use. I see the array of digital connection types as valuable for compatibility and use each for a different purpose. I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by how resilient the unit is against clocking issues.

One of the utterly frivolous uses for mine is practicing drums with a MIDI kit, a PS4, and Rock Band. I use the optical output from the PS4 and used to carefully switch clocking to the SPDIF input signal until I forgot one day and never noticed. No dropouts, no clicks. I haven’t bothered switching from internal clocking since and I’ve had zero issues. So long as the unit is set to a 1x clock, either 44.1 or 48kHz, it seems to lock and re-clock the signal automatically. Much to my surprise since that’s not an advertised feature.

Quote:
• And also curious if anyone has compared the conversion the Apollo X line...
I haven’t. I’m absolutely thrilled with the conversion quality but I haven’t compared it to any higher price point options.

Quote:
• Any issue with using IO for hybrid mixing (ie: different volume levels etc)
Can you clarify what you’re thinking about here?
Old 3 weeks ago
Hey! Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Absolutely. There are ten entirely independent analog inputs that can be used simultaneously without limitation ... plus all the digital inputs via coaxial, optical, and AVB. There’s also the Talk mic on the unit itself but I don’t think anyone would try to use it for serious recording purposes - just for communicating via the monitoring system.
Awesome...

Quote:
That’s correct. Chances are you can access the pre-send signal for that input, but to get the return signal you need to dedicate another input.
Quote:
I believe so, as suggested above, but I haven’t confirmed experimentally. Perhaps another owner can weigh in?
Cool I'll double check with Motu.

Quote:
It’s definitely lower latency and much more flexible, but I can’t speak to reliability under heavy use. I see the array of digital connection types as valuable for compatibility and use each for a different purpose. I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by how resilient the unit is against clocking issues.

One of the utterly frivolous uses for mine is practicing drums with a MIDI kit, a PS4, and Rock Band. I use the optical output from the PS4 and used to carefully switch clocking to the SPDIF input signal until I forgot one day and never noticed. No dropouts, no clicks. I haven’t bothered switching from internal clocking since and I’ve had zero issues. So long as the unit is set to a 1x clock, either 44.1 or 48kHz, it seems to lock and re-clock the signal automatically. Much to my surprise since that’s not an advertised feature.

I haven’t. I’m absolutely thrilled with the conversion quality but I haven’t compared it to any higher price point options.
Thats cool, I've used ADAT interfaces a few times in the past but really prefer interfaces that can be daisy chained via TB. I figured if the AVB bridge felt close enough that would be fine.

I like the IO on some of the upper tier pieces but really like the look of the 828es better. Seems more thought through. I had a 1248 briefly a while back but didn't get with the unit too much nor the software.

I know the software hasn't changed but I'm down with giving it a bit more time. the 828es with a 8a or 624 (for mobile and studio) would be ideal for me...

Quote:
Can you clarify what you’re thinking about here?
Just hybrid mixing, so using outboard compressors, eq's etc while mixing, so would have that all wired up from the 828 outs -> patch bay -> gear.

Some interfaces have weird stuff that makes this process a bit tricky or clunky.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Hey! Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it...
Im happy to answer what I can when I have a spare moment to do so.

Quote:
Thats cool, I've used ADAT interfaces a few times in the past but really prefer interfaces that can be daisy chained via TB. I figured if the AVB bridge felt close enough that would be fine.
I actually feel that it’s an advantage over simply daisy-chaining devices, because you’re routing the extra audio channels through the same mixer. So you can put inputs spanning two or more devices on one bus and route it through internal or external effects as one sub-mix without the latency overhead of going through your DAW.

Quote:
I like the IO on some of the upper tier pieces but really like the look of the 828es better. Seems more thought through. I had a 1248 briefly a while back but didn't get with the unit too much nor the software.
There are some really nice touches in the physical design, from the larger volume knob and talkback integration to the color displays. At heart, though, it’s substantially the same design with the same software. It took some devoted time to wrap my head around the routing grid but now that I get it I really appreciate how powerful and flexible it is. Click on my user name next to this post and choose to see my past posts in this thread for how I started to think about the routing when it “clicked” for me.

Quote:
Just hybrid mixing, so using outboard compressors, eq's etc while mixing, so would have that all wired up from the 828 outs -> patch bay -> gear.
Works like a charm. You can route any of the three stereo group busses or seven stereo aux busses to any output as a send, and mix the return from any of the available inputs. Sends can be easily mixed down to mono outputs if desired. I use a few hardware effects units in this fashion with analog I/O, and route guitar and bass from the pre-amped inputs through my Helix Floor via digital I/O. It all works exactly as I would hope.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@gaia agreed on lots of points. 828es works well for me. Since I am a programmer, there are certain modes of thinking and metaphors I can apply once I get an understanding. The regrettable nomenclature of the inputs and outputs on the routing matrix confused me--I don't recall the exact issue now. Once I was given the guidance to mentally rename them as sources and destinations, and the idea that the matrix was in fact a patch bay, I was able to get a sufficient understanding.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

OK, finally tried messing around with the talkback function, and not getting anywhere. I don't find a manual that talks about it or a tutorial that addresses it. Is it NOT available for use with the 16A or Monitor 8 with an external mic feed to an AVB channel? It looks like it's available, but I get no sound out the selected talkback output auxes when talkback source is selected on an active input.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search