The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 19th August 2014
  #361
At some point, every manufacture will drop support for old OS versions, but it's very strange MOTU doesn't have a capacity to support Win 7, which is way dominant than Win 8 at the moment. Sounds to me almost like they don't want to sell their products to PC users. It could be related to Thunderbolt driver, though.

If you want your interface working for long time, and supported, choose RME.
Old 19th August 2014
  #362
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I got a pop-up in the control app about an update to the 16A, which requested I connect an ethernet cable to receive the update. I was connected with TB at the time, very curious why ethernet would be a requirement here. I don't see that spelled out anywhere in the wording of the support literature.
You're absolutely right—that information seems to be missing from the manual. I'll make sure we add some more details!

We designed the firmware update to work over ethernet mostly for convenience. If you're a user with lots of networked boxes, you can upgrade them all from a distance (even over wifi!) without having to plug in directly and without having to download or run an updater application.

We also decided on this approach for engineering reasons. We put a heavy emphasis on reliability. When installing an update, the device reboots into a stripped-down recovery partition to guarantee that you can always finish updating, even if the power goes out mid-update. Since updates can also affect the Thunderbolt or USB chips, we can't use them from the update mode.
Old 19th August 2014
  #363
Quote:
Originally Posted by softska View Post
Anyone else noticed 1248 preamps gain are 63dB but 8M preamps are 53dB (both site and manual)? Anyone know why the difference?
They do indeed have different preamp chips and hence different ranges. The 1248 has 63dB of gain and the 8M has 53dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
This page on the 8M used to say 63:

MOTU.com - Tech Specs
Recent historical footnote: that page did indeed say 63dB but we corrected it after you pointed out the mistake. Thanks!
Old 19th August 2014
  #364
Lives for gear
 
Jim Rosebrook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
We designed the firmware update to work over ethernet mostly for convenience. If you're a user with lots of networked boxes, you can upgrade them all from a distance (even over wifi!) without having to plug in directly and without having to download or run an updater application.

We also decided on this approach for engineering reasons. We put a heavy emphasis on reliability. When installing an update, the device reboots into a stripped-down recovery partition to guarantee that you can always finish updating, even if the power goes out mid-update. Since updates can also affect the Thunderbolt or USB chips, we can't use them from the update mode.
This is good!

And thanks for sharing this bit of insight.
Old 19th August 2014
  #365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecano View Post
Any chance to get AES/EBU or SPDIF out in a near future for the 16A? This will allow to use digital monitors without going through another set of conversion.
We've got S/PDIF on the 1248 and ADAT on all three. We have received a feature request for switching between ADAT and optical S/PDIF. Would that help? There are currently no plans for a 16A revision with AES/EBU or coax S/PDIF.
Old 19th August 2014
  #366
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
They do indeed have different preamp chips and hence different ranges. The 1248 has 63dB of gain and the 8M has 53dB.
Thanks for clearing up; curious if there are any perceivable difference between them. A bit of a shame the 8M loses 10dB of gain on paper
Old 19th August 2014
  #367
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
Got it, thanks for the explanation mrmiller.

There is no windows driver at all yet, right? Getting into 7 versus 8 is a bit ahead of the curve. They said windows was coming.
Old 19th August 2014
  #368
Lives for gear
 
Cornvalley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
We've got S/PDIF on the 1248 and ADAT on all three. We have received a feature request for switching between ADAT and optical S/PDIF. Would that help? There are currently no plans for a 16A revision with AES/EBU or coax S/PDIF.
Any digital options would be a welcome addition. I know you didn't sell many 308's but for those of us with many digital boxes that was one handy router. A new digital only (AES and Spdif) Motu box would be most helpful. I also know it ain't gonna happen.
Old 20th August 2014
  #369
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
OK, did the firmware update, now the control app is locked at 48K and clock source is also greyed out. I rebooted everything, same result. DP shows all the rate options, but won't change. I can change the rate from the 16A front panel menu and get the rest of the system to then follow, but nowhere else.

All I have is a 3 foot CAT5, so I'm not up to cable shielding spec of CAT5e or CAT6. This may be the whole problem, even though it updated successfully with it.

I'm gonna think out loud here in public:

If I reboot the 16A again after getting the rate changed, it comes up in 48K again.

If I unplug the ethernet cable leaving only TB, I get access to clock source again, but not rate.

If I reboot the 16A and control app again, I have full control. It seems the control app not following changes is part but not all of the problem.

If I plug the ethernet back in, I lose control, even if I reboot the control app. If I unplug it and reboot the control app, I get control back.

I'm still confused, but it isn't totally broken. I didn't try driving with both TB and ethernet connected with the first firmware, so I can't say what that did. DP8 seems to want to fight the control app over sample rate more than it did before, even with the ethernet disconnected.



Audio/MIDI name conventions are erratic as well, I'm on 10.9.4.
I have inputs 1-16 routing in the control app to 'computer' and to 'mix in', sometimes they show up in DP8 with single names, sometimes a bank of 8 will say 'multiple destinations'.
I have 'from computer' 1-16 routed to outputs 1-16, no other routings, and DP8 is showing 1-8 as 'multiple destination', 9-16 as single path.
If there's a 'multiple destination', I'm not seeing what it would be. Every tab in the routing window is open and I have 3 nice clean diagonal swipes for 'analog out', 'to computer', and 'mix in'.
Old 20th August 2014
  #370
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
Here's a routing idea for those who miss 'direct audio playthrough' from DP, at least for a single 16 input tracking session with a 16A. I'd much rather use an analog console for monitoring if possible. Hopefully this helps me work out and remember a new workflow, and gives you some ideas.

EDIT-----the idea below wreaks havoc on DP's output assign bundle names, after toggling this with DP open I am seeing outputs in DP bundles labeled as 'mix in 33-40', when there are no such assignments available in my control app configuration. In fact, 32 mixer inputs are the max possible....
The good news is I've swiped through the options as described below with a DP sequence playing, and it follows the assignments seamlessly. END EDIT.

If in the routing tab of the control app you have both the vertical and horizontal master tabs collapsed, and you have all 16 inputs routed 'to computer', the single assign square at the junction of 'analog in' and 'analog out' will route everything directly to output tracks for analog monitor console mixing.
When it's time for a playback, the single assignment square at the junction of 'analog out' and 'from computer' will reassign all 16 for playback.
That's it, single manual assign toggles.

It gets more complicated if you have ADAT in/out, as they won't act quite the same. I don't know how an AVB stream will behave either.

For ADAT ins and outs, keep the in and out 'analog' tabs closed, the ADAT ins and out open, and the input 'from computer' open.
For tracking, click the same analog/analog junction and then a single swipe down and to the right through all ADAT will assign all the analog and ADAT sequentially.
For playback, a horizontal swipe across the 'analog output' line will reassign all 'from computer' inputs to analog outputs, and it stops lighting up when you've run out of analog outputs. The next diagonal square down to the right will be the next available 'from computer' and first ADAT output, and a diagonal swipe downward to the right will assign the remaining available ADAT outputs to remaining 'from computer' sources. When crossing from analog to ADAT, you have to release the swipe and re-click or it won't take.

Overdubs, well, you know, it gets more complicated.


Still hoping 'direct audio play through' will make it into a future update.
Old 20th August 2014
  #371
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
The compressor in the onboard mixer could stand some default adjustment. With Threshold and Gain set to respective defaults of '-20' and '0', you get a big jump in gain when you enable the comp. The threshold has an auto make-up factor, so gain rises as threshold decreases. This is not described in the manual.

Threshold set to '0' is unity gain with no compression when the compressor is enabled, and gain is '0'.

In fact, consider a mix with no overloading occurring on the output, and a vocal peaking in the -4 to -6 range: threshold on that vocal set to '-10' will not show compression, and default gain setting of '0' will push the bus level past overload due to the auto-makeup in the threshold control. At least in the case of 2:1 ratio (default) with '-10' threshold, gain set to '-5' gives unity throughput when compared to compressor bypass. I get it: 2 x 5 = 10. But it won't do for any sort of live mixing on the fly, that's a nasty surprise.

Oh hell, Ratio has it's own auto-gain thing going on too. This is not well implemented. If I raise the ratio to 4:1 in the same scenario above, the gain has to go down to about -7 to get unity, and I'm still not into compression. If I then change the threshold to default -20, I get into occasional compression and gain has to go down to about -12 to get unity. Fix these interactions and it should be an effective tool.


I'm not wild about the gate, but then I'm not wild about most gates. The threshold moves in 5 dB increments, and oddly gets increased resolution below -50. You can type in whatever number you want, but you can't fine tune above -50. The fastest attack is 10mS, which leaves even vocal attack envelopes with an obvious 'cut-on' effect. I'm not sure what the theory is here, it seems more designed for work with talking heads in a press or web conference than music work.

I really like the EQ on first listen. It's not obvious that a bandwidth knob appears when you disable the shelf selection on the top and bottom bands. Bandwidth goes really wide to very very tight; special effect to gentle correction.

No zipper noise with any adjustments anywhere.

If you are in Safari driving the control app, the auto-zoom feature of the mouse works, but the pop-up displays for knob settings no longer appear.
Re-sizing a Safari window can totally blow up your layout too, with the top of the control app page off the top of the screen, and no way to get back to it other than closing the window and reopening the control app. No control hiccups when you do this at least.
Old 20th August 2014
  #372
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
If you want your interface working for long time, and supported, choose RME.
I'm using a Motu 896HD (something like 11 years old) and two ultralite (original model) here, talk about "long time" and "support" . At 44.1, for tracking purpose, I have all three chained through firewire and working flawlessly with a 2014 OS. Did you take a look at the legacy supported devices on MOTU website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
We've got S/PDIF on the 1248 and ADAT on all three. We have received a feature request for switching between ADAT and optical S/PDIF. Would that help? There are currently no plans for a 16A revision with AES/EBU or coax S/PDIF.
Thanks for your response, optical S/PDIF on the 16A will be great ! It is the major concern that keeps me from thinking about getting one.

Also thanks to people who took the plunge and are posting their findings here, highly appreciated.
Old 20th August 2014
  #373
I'm on the verge of diving in for an 8m, but have a question to those who already own one of these babies. How many instances of EQ, Compressors, gates, inputs, outputs does it take to max the DSP? My 828 MK3 slams against the roof pretty quick and I'm curious to know how much the AVB's deliver before choking.
Old 20th August 2014
  #374
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvg99 View Post
I'm on the verge of diving in for an 8m, but have a question to those who already own one of these babies. How many instances of EQ, Compressors, gates, inputs, outputs does it take to max the DSP? My 828 MK3 slams against the roof pretty quick and I'm curious to know how much the AVB's deliver before choking.
The limits really depend on the exact configuration and sample rate. At 44.1 or 48khz, you could have the high-pass filter, gate, EQ, and compressor enabled on all 48 mixer channels, no problem, and the levelers going on the groups. If you are mixing fewer than 48 channels, you can eke out some more DSP resources by reducing the size of the mixer in the Device tab. You can still max it out, though, especially at 2x sample rates which are more costly DSP-wise and means reduced effect counts. We don't support any effects at 4x rates.
Old 20th August 2014
  #375
Lives for gear
 
Cornvalley's Avatar
In referencing Emrr's posts about naming channels I have noticed as well some peculiarities with regards to how names transfer to DAW host. I'm loving the immediacy of the transfer but was wondering how multiple interfaces would handle it. I know thunderbolt is what's required but with two or three devices thunderbolt is not really possible for all.
Old 20th August 2014
  #376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
The limits really depend on the exact configuration and sample rate. At 44.1 or 48khz, you could have the high-pass filter, gate, EQ, and compressor enabled on all 48 mixer channels, no problem, and the levelers going on the groups. If you are mixing fewer than 48 channels, you can eke out some more DSP resources by reducing the size of the mixer in the Device tab. You can still max it out, though, especially at 2x sample rates which are more costly DSP-wise and means reduced effect counts. We don't support any effects at 4x rates.
Thx for the swift reply. Ordering from my local distributor tomorrow. If I manage to sell my Yamaha 01V96, a 1248 and an AVB switch will follow in the not too distant future. PS. Any news on the OSC implementation?
Old 20th August 2014
  #377
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Here's a routing idea for those who miss 'direct audio playthrough' from DP, at least for a single 16 input tracking session with a 16A. I'd much rather use an analog console for monitoring if possible. Hopefully this helps me work out and remember a new workflow, and gives you some ideas.

EDIT-----the idea below wreaks havoc on DP's output assign bundle names, after toggling this with DP open I am seeing outputs in DP bundles labeled as 'mix in 33-40', when there are no such assignments available in my control app configuration. In fact, 32 mixer inputs are the max possible....
The good news is I've swiped through the options as described below with a DP sequence playing, and it follows the assignments seamlessly. END EDIT.
Can you PM me a screenshot of your routing so we can reproduce precisely what you're seeing? You can actually rename the output names in the control app if you want and that should appear in DP. Just click the output name to edit. You can also have up to 48 inputs into the mixer, we just only show 32 by default to reduce clutter. See the Device tab under Mixer Setup. Similarly, we only show 32 computer ins and outs by default instead of the full 128 in either direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
If in the routing tab of the control app you have both the vertical and horizontal master tabs collapsed, and you have all 16 inputs routed 'to computer', the single assign square at the junction of 'analog in' and 'analog out' will route everything directly to output tracks for analog monitor console mixing.
When it's time for a playback, the single assignment square at the junction of 'analog out' and 'from computer' will reassign all 16 for playback.
That's it, single manual assign toggles.

It gets more complicated if you have ADAT in/out, as they won't act quite the same. I don't know how an AVB stream will behave either.
It's a little complicated at first but we added some shortcuts and gestures to make it easier to do common operations as you're seeing. Take a look at this Routing technote which goes into a lot of detail about how everything works. In particular, the "Making Connections and Placing Tiles" section should give in an in-depth description of the behavior.


Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
I really like the EQ on first listen. It's not obvious that a bandwidth knob appears when you disable the shelf selection on the top and bottom bands. Bandwidth goes really wide to very very tight; special effect to gentle correction.
I filed a bug about the bandwidth knob for the outer bands. It should probably always be there, just greyed out. Great suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
The threshold moves in 5 dB increments, and oddly gets increased resolution below -50. You can type in whatever number you want, but you can't fine tune above -50.
We tuned the knobs throughout to try to give you more resolution in the ranges you are likely to be working. -50dB does seem too low, though, so we're tweaking where the high-resolution range is. Regardless, you can always type in a fine-tuned value, even above -50dB, down to the decimal. I just tested it and it seems to work here… is that not working on your end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
The fastest attack is 10mS, which leaves even vocal attack envelopes with an obvious 'cut-on' effect. I'm not sure what the theory is here, it seems more designed for work with talking heads in a press or web conference than music work.
Agreed, that's a little slow. We're tweaking these numbers for a future update. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
If you are in Safari driving the control app, the auto-zoom feature of the mouse works, but the pop-up displays for knob settings no longer appear.
Re-sizing a Safari window can totally blow up your layout too, with the top of the control app page off the top of the screen, and no way to get back to it other than closing the window and reopening the control app.
Hrm… I'm not seeing either of these behaviors. Can you make a screen capture video with QuickTime and PM it to me?
Old 20th August 2014
  #378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley View Post
In referencing Emrr's posts about naming channels I have noticed as well some peculiarities with regards to how names transfer to DAW host. I'm loving the immediacy of the transfer but was wondering how multiple interfaces would handle it. I know thunderbolt is what's required but with two or three devices thunderbolt is not really possible for all.
Yes, the channel naming only applies to Thunderbolt. Those are only the default names, however. You can rename inputs and outputs in the Routing matrix and the entered names will appear instead of the defaults. Just click on the name in the Routing tab and type in a new name.
Old 20th August 2014
  #379
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
OK, did the firmware update, now the control app is locked at 48K and clock source is also greyed out. I rebooted everything, same result. DP shows all the rate options, but won't change. I can change the rate from the 16A front panel menu and get the rest of the system to then follow, but nowhere else.

All I have is a 3 foot CAT5, so I'm not up to cable shielding spec of CAT5e or CAT6. This may be the whole problem, even though it updated successfully with it.

I'm gonna think out loud here in public:

If I reboot the 16A again after getting the rate changed, it comes up in 48K again.

If I unplug the ethernet cable leaving only TB, I get access to clock source again, but not rate.

If I reboot the 16A and control app again, I have full control. It seems the control app not following changes is part but not all of the problem.

If I plug the ethernet back in, I lose control, even if I reboot the control app. If I unplug it and reboot the control app, I get control back.

I'm still confused, but it isn't totally broken. I didn't try driving with both TB and ethernet connected with the first firmware, so I can't say what that did. DP8 seems to want to fight the control app over sample rate more than it did before, even with the ethernet disconnected.
For now, you should only have ethernet connected directly to your computer while you're doing an update. We're working on a technote describing the situation in more detail.
Old 20th August 2014
  #380
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
For now, you should only have ethernet connected directly to your computer while you're doing an update. We're working on a technote describing the situation in more detail.
Great, that confirms the behavior then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Take a look at this Routing technote which goes into a lot of detail about how everything works.
Yep, I posted an additional thought about it back here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10347291-post349.html
For Mac, from Audio/MIDI, choose 'configure speakers' to choose iTunes (or Quicktime, etc) stream destination. That will move it to any of the MOTU 'from computer' inputs for further routing. As with most things Audio/MIDI, this isn't terribly clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Regardless, you can always type in a fine-tuned value, even above -50dB, down to the decimal. I just tested it and it seems to work here… is that not working on your end?
Yes, as I said, you can type whatever you want into any popup, you just can't get to fine detail without doing that.


At some point last night while constantly changing routings to outputs, I lost 'from computer' 1-2, which were previously present from the same DP8 session. I can see them in DP's output meter bridge and in the bundles window, I can route them to any other output, but 1-2 were DOA in the control app. I deleted them from the bundles and added them back, no change. I have to think about that one some more, see if I'm overlooking something. Reboot of computer and 16A didn't change anything.


More on the rest of your requests ASAP. Thanks!
Old 20th August 2014
  #381
Lives for gear
 
Cornvalley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Yes, the channel naming only applies to Thunderbolt. Those are only the default names, however. You can rename inputs and outputs in the Routing matrix and the entered names will appear instead of the defaults. Just click on the name in the Routing tab and type in a new name.
yes, I understand that. But back to Thunderbolt, since only one device can be Thunderbolt enabled (using the Mac mini). Can one hot swap the thunderbolt connector to a second unit to reprogram the names for that device and return the connector back to unit one? Will it be remembered from then on?
Thankyou
Old 20th August 2014
  #382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley View Post
yes, I understand that. But back to Thunderbolt, since only one device can be Thunderbolt enabled (using the Mac mini). Can one hot swap the thunderbolt connector to a second unit to reprogram the names for that device and return the connector back to unit one? Will it be remembered from then on?
Thankyou
You can reprogram the names using the web control app—you don't need to be connected over Thunderbolt to do that. It will remember them until you change them across reboots and updates. However, the channels will only show up to your host DAW with those names when the device is connected via Thunderbolt. Otherwise, they're only useful for labeling within the control app itself.
Old 20th August 2014
  #383
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Yep, I posted an additional thought about it back here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10347291-post349.html
For Mac, from Audio/MIDI, choose 'configure speakers' to choose iTunes (or Quicktime, etc) stream destination. That will move it to any of the MOTU 'from computer' inputs for further routing. As with most things Audio/MIDI, this isn't terribly clear.
Thank you for that! We actually amended the "Sending Computer's audio to physical outputs" section to include the extra detail as you suggested. I was pointing more specifically to the section entitled "Making Connections and Placing Tiles When..." which goes into a lot of detail about how things are routed when columns and/or rows are collapsed and you click on a tile, etc.
Old 20th August 2014
  #384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley View Post
Any digital options would be a welcome addition. I know you didn't sell many 308's but for those of us with many digital boxes that was one handy router. A new digital only (AES and Spdif) Motu box would be most helpful. I also know it ain't gonna happen.
This is definitely something we're looking into and we're always open to and excited about suggestions! What would your digital dream box be?
Old 20th August 2014
  #385
Lives for gear
 
Cornvalley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
This is definitely something we're looking into and we're always open to and excited about suggestions! What would your digital dream box be?
ha! you already had it. It was called the 308. Make it compatible with AVB and thunderbolt. It fulfills a niche market very nicely.
Old 20th August 2014
  #386
Lives for gear
 
charlieclouser's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
This is definitely something we're looking into and we're always open to and excited about suggestions! What would your digital dream box be?
I've been using the 2408 series on multiple rigs for more than a decade, so I was glad to see MOTU charging into the future with the new AVB series.

I have a lot of devices with stereo digital outputs - things like Pods, Virus, Haken Continuum, Cranesong Spider, etc. I wound up with some RME boxes (ADI-192DD) that can take four AES pairs and merge them into one ADAT stream, and best of all, these AES inputs have built-in Sample Rate Convertors, so the AES inputs can be asynchronous to the main audio clock. That means no word clock or other hassles to bring in these sources! THIS IS FANTASTIC.

I can also use these fairly cheap Canare "barrel" convertors that impedance-match the signals so that I can plug the S/PDIF output of a device into the AES inputs on the RME box. This also works flawlessly.

But these RME boxes are not cheap. In fact, they're stupidly expensive.

I would love to see some variant on the AVB series that had a bunch of stereo digital inputs/outputs. Due to space constraints, you wouldn't be able to have 16 XLR jacks on the rear panel, so maybe you'd use DB25. This would let you have the full complement of 16 channels of AES alongside the ADAT, and if S/PDIF is needed then the Canare barrel connectors work better on the end of an AES DB25 snake than they would sticking out of the rear panel of the unit anyway.

So leave the left side of the rear panel the same - WC, CAT5, USB, TB, and ADAT i/o just like it is on the existing interfaces, but put a pair of DB25 connectors for AES snakes (as on Avid hardware) and now you'd have 16 channels of AES in and out. Even better, put the two DB25 jacks alongside 16x RCA jacks, with software switching between S/PDIF (RCA) and AES (DB25) for each stereo pair, or even free selection of up to 32 channels from any combination of stereo pairs of ADAT, AES, and S/PDIF i/o. Now we don't need to mess with those $50 Canare AES<>S/PDIF barrel connectors. This would be the ideal setup for me.

I know TDIF is sort of a dead format, but in a perfect world, the DB25 jacks would be software switchable between AES and TDIF.

You could call the thing the "32DD" (pun intended).

But, PLEASE put Sample Rate Convertors on the AES + S/PDIF inputs, so we can bring in sources that are not locked to the rest of the room. It is such a huge convenience to be able to work this way - I can not overstate how important that is.

-- EDIT --

I guess I forgot to mention MADI. Duh. Yeah, we need MADI on an AVB box. If it's an all-singing, all-dancing digital AVB interface with MADI, AES / SPDIF / TDIF (switchable) alongside the ADAT, WC, USB, TB, and CAT5 jacks that are already on the left side of the rear panel, then we are freakin' loving life. It might be smarter to try and cram it all into one box than to offer one box for MADI and another box for AES etc.

Just combine the functionality of AES and SPDIF onto DB25 jacks, disregard TDIF unless the DB25 jacks can somehow be sotware-switched between AES and TDIF, and put MADI (both coax and optical formats) next to the DB25 jacks and we're done.
Old 21st August 2014
  #387
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
For Mac, from Audio/MIDI, choose 'configure speakers' to choose iTunes (or Quicktime, etc) stream destination. That will move it to any of the MOTU 'from computer' inputs for further routing. As with most things Audio/MIDI, this isn't terribly clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
At some point last night while constantly changing routings to outputs, I lost 'from computer' 1-2, which were previously present from the same DP8 session. I can see them in DP's output meter bridge and in the bundles window, I can route them to any other output, but 1-2 were DOA in the control app.
Okay, these things are linked. You can change the output source via 'configure speakers', but the Audio/MIDI master mute checkbox AND the up/down volume on the keyboard still control 'from computer' 1-2. So for practical reasons this is dangerous to pursue in some configurations. Sorry I hadn't noticed that clearly. If anyone knows a way to redirect this, I'm all ears. A way to disable the mute and volume controls on the keyboard? That might be a good studio solution. Otherwise it appears error-prone to use 'from computer' 1-2 for anything, and really a mental PITA if you have to make outputs 1-16 come from computer 3-18 to avoid 1-2 for anything other than a stereo master output.
Old 21st August 2014
  #388
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
Quote:
If you are in Safari driving the control app, the auto-zoom feature of the mouse works, but the pop-up displays for knob settings no longer appear.
Re-sizing a Safari window can totally blow up your layout too, with the top of the control app page off the top of the screen, and no way to get back to it other than closing the window and reopening the control app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Hrm… I'm not seeing either of these behaviors. Can you make a screen capture video with QuickTime and PM it to me?
Screen capture video of zoom behavior on the way. The pop-ups are there, they just tend to be off screen in zoom mode. The answer appears to be 'don't zoom'. There's not much reason to anyway.

So far I can't make the layout explode again. At one point yesterday I had the mixer open, resized the window and scrolled down on the page, then had 'controls' which should always be at the top scroll up and off the top of the screen and show up again at the bottom. I'll take it as a general Safari error, and not linked to the AVB app. The sequence was a combination of full screen, not full screen, resize, full screen, etc.
Old 21st August 2014
  #389
Here for the gear
 

I read this in the avb routing:

"1248: 32 inputs / 34 outputs
8M: 24 inputs / 26 outputs
16A: 32 inputs / 32 outputs

Note: If you are connected to the computer via Thunderbolt, you have access to 128 To / From Computer streams if operating at 1x or 2x sample rates
(44.1 kHz - 96 kHz). If you are operating at 4x sample rates (176.4 kHz or 192 kHz), you have access to 64 To / From Computer streams.


When connected via USB, you have access to 24 To / From Computer streams regardless of the sample rate."

So the usb bus is limited to 24 streams at once. So you cant record the max 32 inputs at once in your pc? Or am I wrong? Is this 16 streams in from the device plus 8 adat in? So the other adat is useless? Can somebody explain? Thanks in advance!

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/tech...outing#routing -> tab: Sending signal to your DAW
Old 21st August 2014
  #390
Lives for gear
 
emrr's Avatar
A page # or other reference would be nice. I can't find that. But I do find page 36 showing USB connection to first, AVB to second. Page 37, 5 interfaces, 3 computers, one of them USB. Page 39, recommended not to connect more than 2 interfaces via separate USB.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump