The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
More on my 8M adventure: Got the Thunderbolt cable, plugged it in and removed the USB, and after a few tries got it configured. But not, though Pro Tools see it and I can select it, I get no audio and no metering on the 8M. Even going back to the USB, still no audio! Switching the USB to a different interface, that works, but not with the 8M. What could I be missing? I set it up for computer 1 & 2 to go to analog out 1 & 2, all that stuff on the AVB ethernet controls, but no output. What could I be missing?
Sheesh. I found it! There is a button in the Pro Audio Control thing that says "computer volume control" and when I uncheck it, there is the sound! I don't understand what it is for, but deselcting it worked...
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sheesh. I found it! There is a button in the Pro Audio Control thing that says "computer volume control" and when I uncheck it, there is the sound! I don't understand what it is for, but deselcting it worked...
That’s so you can control the volume using your Mac keyboard.
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The manual discusses this button. It allows the computer/OS volume controls to control volume. Unchecked it locks the computer/OS volume controls so only the MOTU software can change volume.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbdan View Post
The manual discusses this button. It allows the computer/OS volume controls to control volume. Unchecked it locks the computer/OS volume controls so only the MOTU software can change volume.
Thanks to both. I get it. I use an external monitor control so this works for me.

I'm always reading manuals but haven't this time. Will do!
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Do you all know how the MOTU USB interfaces are fairing with OSX Mojave?

I have a 2018 Mac Mini with Mojave and looking at getting an Ultralite mk4. This thread on the motunation forum isn't encouraging:
MOTUnation.com • ANYONE have the Ultralite Mk4 working flawlessly on Mojave?
Well, it appears i'm not special and am subject to the same 2018 Mac Mini USB issues that everyone else is. Even the RME devices are struggling and RME can't fix it. My options are to hope for a fix from Apple, get a thunderbolt dock with its own USB controller, or get a non-USB interface.

For the cost of a dock, i can exchange-up my Ultralite mk4 for a 624. I prefer the additional I/O of the Ultralite, but the 624 i suppose is the more premium device with more expandability.

Apparently early on, thunderbolt and USB3 were not working on the 8A and 624 and so people had to use USB2. Since i can't use USB, can you guys confirm that thunderbolt is fully functional and reliable on OSX these days?

Regarding AVB, from what i gather, AVB-host computer is relatively slow and so one should use thunderbolt. However AVB device to AVB device is fast and so is a legit solution for adding more I/O. Is this right? I ask because i may want to add an 8A in the future to get more analog I/O.

Thanks!
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Regarding AVB, from what i gather, AVB-host computer is relatively slow and so one should use thunderbolt. However AVB device to AVB device is fast and so is a legit solution for adding more I/O. Is this right? I ask because i may want to add an 8A in the future to get more analog I/O.
That's my understanding as well. The computer's Ethernet stack isn't optimized for low-latency usage as with AVB audio, as the driver model is geared more toward throughput and limited CPU load. The MotU-to-MotU AVB latency figures are an astonishing 0.6ms latency over something like six network hops.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

So... looking at NAMM and the motu web site, and not seeing any new sound interface products announced at NAMM this year. Not complaining, but just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Probably for the best as I just gut an 828es and would feel frustrated if something better was just released...
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

No new interfaces at this show, just Digital Performer 10 as far as I saw. I wouldn't be surprised if something materialized this year but I'd be shocked if it filled a similar niche to the 828es.
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear

I expected a 32x32 channel like Orion and Presonus, and a little one like Microbook thunderbolt or USB3 and avb
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Well, it appears i'm not special and am subject to the same 2018 Mac Mini USB issues that everyone else is. Even the RME devices are struggling and RME can't fix it. My options are to hope for a fix from Apple, get a thunderbolt dock with its own USB controller, or get a non-USB interface.

For the cost of a dock, i can exchange-up my Ultralite mk4 for a 624. I prefer the additional I/O of the Ultralite, but the 624 i suppose is the more premium device with more expandability.

Apparently early on, thunderbolt and USB3 were not working on the 8A and 624 and so people had to use USB2. Since i can't use USB, can you guys confirm that thunderbolt is fully functional and reliable on OSX these days?

Thanks!
To follow up, i ended up exchanging the Ultralite mk4 for a 624. It's running perfectly on the 2018 Mac Mini and Mojave via thunderbolt. I miss the extra analog I/O and MIDI a bit, but its a pretty neato interface. Snappy too.

The Audio Tools software seems under reported/appreciated. Viewing synth waveforms on the oscilloscope and FFT is a ton of fun.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Line View Post
I expected a 32x32 channel like Orion and Presonus, and a little one like Microbook thunderbolt or USB3 and avb
I'm so expecting a 32 channel interface or a bigger B16 version with more preamps.

I had the chance to test and listen to presonus studio live, UAD, and RME recently, and, to my taste, the MOTU sounds definitely better to me.

anyway, so many racks being released, I am looking forward to new gear from MOTU. I'm also hoping avb is going well....
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Maniac

16 or 32 version of USB3 is a must.
Old 31st January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Regarding AVB, from what i gather, AVB-host computer is relatively slow and so one should use thunderbolt.
That's wrong. Any AVB endpoint, being it a Device or a computer, is treated equally. To give you the numbers:
The roundtrip latency of an AVB stream computer <-> Motu AVB is 500 microseconds at 44100 and 458 microseconds at 48000 at the native AVB packet size of 6 samples per packet.
It is just the Apple AVB driver that does perform so poorly.
Old 1st February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
I'm so expecting a 32 channel interface or a bigger B16 version with more preamps.

I had the chance to test and listen to presonus studio live, UAD, and RME recently, and, to my taste, the MOTU sounds definitely better to me.

anyway, so many racks being released, I am looking forward to new gear from MOTU. I'm also hoping avb is going well....
Agree. Avb is doing great in my experience
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Line View Post
Agree. Avb is doing great in my experience

Nice! That makes things easy. Motu give us what we want now!!!!

I am please begging u haha

I would love a 32 rack like presonus made by motu
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumfix View Post
That's wrong. Any AVB endpoint, being it a Device or a computer, is treated equally. To give you the numbers:
The roundtrip latency of an AVB stream computer <-> Motu AVB is 500 microseconds at 44100 and 458 microseconds at 48000 at the native AVB packet size of 6 samples per packet.
It is just the Apple AVB driver that does perform so poorly.
Right, i was speaking in practical terms. You can only use AVB into an Apple ethernet port and Apple's implementation is slow, therefor AVB->computer is slow.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear
If AVB Ethernet will always be slow on the Mac, maybe MOTU should just make a simple inexpensive thunderbolt/USB-to-AVB box. Then their audio interfaces could be AVB-only, they wouldn’t need to duplicate the computer I/O across their line, and their audio interfaces would never be obsolete.
Old 1st February 2019
Here for the gear

Just got my 1248! Very happy with the sound quality and latency, although updating the firmware was a pretty wonky operation and getting it to work smoothly on the latest Windows 10 build wasn't exactly plug and play either.

Everything seems to be working fine now, but I noticed when I leave the 1248 and Ableton running for a while and I go AFK for say 30-60 minutes and come back, the 1248 seems to have 'froze' and I have to turn it off and on for it to work again. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubiumbeats View Post
Just got my 1248! Very happy with the sound quality and latency, although updating the firmware was a pretty wonky operation and getting it to work smoothly on the latest Windows 10 build wasn't exactly plug and play either.

Everything seems to be working fine now, but I noticed when I leave the 1248 and Ableton running for a while and I go AFK for say 30-60 minutes and come back, the 1248 seems to have 'froze' and I have to turn it off and on for it to work again. Any ideas what could be causing this?
if u are using usb and u habilitated the power saving energy, the usb will shut itself. I don't use usb, so this is just somethings that happened to many people, so I guess that's the problem.
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubiumbeats View Post

I think it's a power-saving setting as well. I got my 828es a few weeks ago, sometimes I leave it on overnight, never had a disconnections problem. Also updating the firmware was smooth as silk. I've got both a USB and an ethernet connection. The 828es is a newer box, so there may not be a direct comparison with the 1248.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

I used to leave my 1248 on 24/7 so that whenever I booted windows, it would detect the device. Never had a problem, so I don't think it has a power saving mode that would make its usb signature not be recognized by windows. I also note that newer versions of windows will boot with the motu off and put the sound through another device like the speakers in the monitor, but when I boot the motu, windows 10 will detect it and switch over to it. Used to be I had to re-boot windows to get it to use the motu if I forgot to turn it on when I booted windows.

I turn the motu off an night now, and this is not an issue. Can't recall details, but when I was using a mac, I recall it was fussy about usb-powered sound modules like my scarlett. Did not detect properly on boot as the usb device was booting too, and I had to go into preferences and fuss around a lot to get it working. That lead to my preference for devices that are not usb powered--such as the motu 1248 and 828es that I use at home.
Old 3 weeks ago
Just ordered a 16A to go with a new 2018 MBP 15". Haven't had a MOTU interface since my 2 828MKII's died years ago. Have been getting by with a pair of Mackie Onyx 1620i's and an 820i all daisy chained together for as long as I could, but they're all starting to fail in one way or another... Hope this guy does the trick!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fingers crossed for you, Ted!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by betteroffted View Post
Just ordered a 16A to go with a new 2018 MBP 15". Haven't had a MOTU interface since my 2 828MKII's died years ago. Have been getting by with a pair of Mackie Onyx 1620i's and an 820i all daisy chained together for as long as I could, but they're all starting to fail in one way or another... Hope this guy does the trick!
I had a mackie onyx i that used firewire. It sounded sweet and sure was a trooper, but sold it and got motu 1248 and 828es. Its a different vibe with all the knobs and stuff on a web window, but it frees up desk space as well. My view is the spec on the motu stuff is high end.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I am building a windows machine with thunderbolt 3 add on card (alpine range) which adapter do I need to connect to the motu?

Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Cheers to all.
My MOTU 1248 is now 4 years old, and I still love it. Its potential really is huge and sound quality is very high.
But it just broke down - pressed the power button and nothing happened. By inspection a cap in the smps power supply was fried - looked a lot like posts about 828mk3 here on Gearslutz. From the looks of the pictures it seems the power supply boards in 1248 and 828 are quite similar. Replacing the cap did not help. There is voltage on the board at least to the main trafo.
I have two questions: 1) Has anyone else experienced the same? Possible solutions? 2) Does anyone know where I can get a replacement power supply board?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
I am building a windows machine with thunderbolt 3 add on card (alpine range) which adapter do I need to connect to the motu?

Thanks!
I would use the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. No experience using it on windows, so take that as you will. I've seen people who bought cheap adapters having troubles with various devices and would avoid the cheap crap.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjenzen View Post
... 2) Does anyone know where I can get a replacement power supply board?
It sure seems like motu would be a good first contact on this. I am sure they have good customer service. They may have service centers designated as well.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradivus View Post
I would use the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. No experience using it on windows, so take that as you will. I've seen people who bought cheap adapters having troubles with various devices and would avoid the cheap crap.
I have Gigabyte Alpine Ridge --> Apple TB3 to TB2 --> Apple TB2 cable --> Motu 828es + Windows 10.
It works.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I am considering to build a new PC and to connect my 828es and 1248 via thunderbold.
My first choice of motherboard would be Gigabyte designare (with Titan Ridge and not Alpin Ridge). But I just read that this board has issues with Thunderbold 1 devices.

Is MOTU Thunderbold 1 or Thunderbold 2 ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search