The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 13th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
If anyone has experience using Motu's avb as a patchbay while tracking live, I would love to hear. thanks
If you mean the sending audio across units via the AVB Ethernet connection, not me.

If you mean using the built-in AVB Mixer in my 828es as a Monitor Mixer, heck yes, with no complaints from Singers, Drummers, Guitarists or Bassists. Or me (keyboardist). It's how I track every day in my studio.
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks folks for helping me understand the web mixer gui. The 'three devices' and 'patchbay' allowed me to get my mind around it. Now I just have to get comfortable knowing which inputs and outputs are what--it will take me a few days--especially the mixer and aux.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNan View Post
Enoch, do you know what is the latency when you patch a physical in to a physical out in the patchbay...? i mean, without going into the DAW / computer? Sorry if this is a silly question.
I had to go digging for this information since it is no longer on the website. The following are theoretical calculations as I have no way of measuring actual latency standalone (without the Host Computer via Thunderbolt or USB)

Round Trip Latency for analog in to analog out without processing through just the audio interface and not the network or Host Computer.

A/D - 12 samples
FPGA in - 4 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples
D/A - 6 samples

Total - 26 samples

At 44.1kHz latency is ~ 0.59ms
At 48kHz latency is ~ 0.54ms
At 96kHz latency is ~ 0.27ms

Round Trip Latency for analog in to analog out with processing through just the audio interface and not the network or Host Computer.

A/D - 12 samples
FPGA in - 4 samples
DSP in/out - 6 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples
D/A - 6 samples

Total 32 samples

At 44.1kHz latency is ~ 0.73ms
At 48kHz latency is ~ 0.67ms
At 96kHz latency is ~ 0.33ms

Network latency adds another 30 samples.

Audio Networking Latency of analog in at device A to analog out at device B connected via the network without DSP processing on both networked audio devices.

Device A
A/D - 12 samples
FPGA in - 4 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples

Network - 30 samples

Device B
FPGA in - 4 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples
D/A - 6 samples

Total - 64 samples

At 44.1kHz latency is ~ 1.45ms
At 48kHz latency is ~ 1.33ms
At 96kHz latency is ~ 0.667ms

I really hope I have done these calculations properly
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
I had to go digging for this information since it is no longer on the website. The following are theoretical calculations as I have no way of measuring actual latency standalone (without the Host Computer via Thunderbolt or USB)

Round Trip Latency for analog in to analog out without processing through just the audio interface and not the network or Host Computer.

A/D - 12 samples
FPGA in - 4 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples
D/A - 6 samples

Total - 26 samples

Round Trip Latency for analog in to analog out with processing through just the audio interface and not the network or Host Computer.

A/D - 12 samples
FPGA in - 4 samples
DSP in/out - 6 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples
D/A - 6 samples

Total 32 samples

At 44.1kHz latency is ~ 0.73ms
At 48kHz latency is ~ 0.67ms
At 96kHz latency is ~ 0.33ms

Network latency adds another 30 samples.

Audio Networking Latency of analog in at device A to analog out at device B connected via the network without DSP processing on both networked audio devices.

Device A
A/D - 12 samples
FPGA in - 4 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples

Network - 30 samples

Device B
FPGA in - 4 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples
D/A - 6 samples

Total - 64 samples

At 44.1kHz latency is ~ 1.45ms
At 48kHz latency is ~ 1.33ms
At 96kHz latency is ~ 0.667ms

I really hope I have done these calculations properly
I didn't calculate exactly but it's basically the same info I got here
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base

in RTL utility I got 1,60 ms

using the avb mixer to send out a signal e coming back to the motu I got 2,88 ms. that equals 1,28 ms, considering roundtrip 0,64 ms at 96. so pretty much the same. very impressive.

thanks for posting ur test.

if someone is routing through AVB, I beg you, please do the same calculation and share with us please!!!!! thanks!

edit - additional info: just to illustrate better the use for this, is that I can record through my preamp clean, but I can monitor through my compressor with no discernible latency (I can also record the compressor audio if I want to). and without patch bays!!! that saves literally thousands in cables, HW and routing. as the A in -> A out is in the 0,64 ms ballpark, no comb filter too! what I want is under 1,5 ms.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus View Post
If you mean the sending audio across units via the AVB Ethernet connection, not me.

If you mean using the built-in AVB Mixer in my 828es as a Monitor Mixer, heck yes, with no complaints from Singers, Drummers, Guitarists or Bassists. Or me (keyboardist). It's how I track every day in my studio.
thank u very much for ur comment. I do several tests recording myself, and I'm pretty strict regarding latency. recently I have been doing several tests, and monitoring through the MOTU's mixer, and it is absolutely incredible. I just can't believe how many time I waste trying to find the best way to monitor through the DAW,

but in this case I'm looking for someone routing units through AVB.

my plan is as follow:
use 1 motu 1248 in the recording room. then send the signals to the control room through AVB (to a 16A), so I can use my compressors, and then send it back to the MOTU 1248 for the musician to monitor themselves.

I wonder how much latency will that give to the musicians, so I'm eager to that kind information. for reverbs it'll work, but for compressors, I'm not really sure.

thanks again for ur comment.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
thank u very much for ur comment. I do several tests recording myself, and I'm pretty strict regarding latency. recently I have been doing several tests, and monitoring through the MOTU's mixer, and it is absolutely incredible. I just can't believe how many time I waste trying to find the best way to monitor through the DAW,

but in this case I'm looking for someone routing units through AVB.

my plan is as follow:
use 1 motu 1248 in the recording room. then send the signals to the control room through AVB (to a 16A), so I can use my compressors, and then send it back to the MOTU 1248 for the musician to monitor themselves.

I wonder how much latency will that give to the musicians, so I'm eager to that kind information. for reverbs it'll work, but for compressors, I'm not really sure.

thanks again for ur comment.
From the last example I gave the send signal from the Analog Input on the 1248 to the Analog Output on the 16A connected to your processor of choice is 64 samples. The return signal is also 64 samples. The total latency will depend on the contribution of the processor you have added to the signal flow.
The total latency contributed by the AVB setup is 128 samples between ~0.667ms - 3ms (192kHz - 44.1kHz)

Regards,
Enoch
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
From the last example I gave the send signal from the Analog Input on the 1248 to the Analog Output on the 16A connected to your processor of choice is 64 samples. The return signal is also 64 samples. The total latency will depend on the contribution of the processor you have added to the signal flow.
The total latency contributed by the AVB setup is 128 samples between ~0.667ms - 3ms (192kHz - 44.1kHz)

Regards,
Enoch

hi enoch, yes, I was grateful for that info too. but I really want real life example / calculation. and also comments if musicians are bothered or not. that would be really helpful for me hehe, and the routing would be insanely flexible.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
hi enoch, yes, I was grateful for that info too. but I really want real life example / calculation. and also comments if musicians are bothered or not. that would be really helpful for me hehe, and the routing would be insanely flexible.
What do you mean real life calculations those numbers are as real as it gets.

The result will not be different since this figures are fixed unlike host latency which may vary e.g depending on the OS.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
What do you mean real life calculations those numbers are as real as it gets.

The result will not be different since this figures are fixed unlike host latency which may vary e.g depending on the OS.
HAHA! totally correct. but for instance, I never figured out why I felt uncomfortable monitoring through the DAW. only this year, after 4 years of recording and thinking I finally realized there are more to numbers that the one displayed or technically correct.

for example, when using the the app for measuring latency, my latency was something like 0,4 ms higher than the one displayed in logic (seems low, but that causes software crashes, and it's 1/3 of the total value of RT latency the DAW reports. additionally, it's almost double than monitoring through the interface itself). I also eventually figured out that plugins add samples latency, and so on.

that drove me crazy and that's why I have been doing tests and asking if someone can do the test with the app available here Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base

I was literally amazed by the results of monitoring through the interface. I don't play on the head of the beat, I'm always a little bit late, and that's my style of playing. so this kind of MS make a really big difference for my playing style. I never could really nail recording through the BPM and DAW monitoring. and in the context, with more recording and takes, the results gets gradually worst and worst.

I was so shocked that my idea of "opening a recording studio" changed to "opening a rehearsal recording studio" (so the band can be themselves). the feeling to control the tempo, and not the tempo controlling you is amazing. I'm pretty sure when musicians experience that kind of recording they will prefer it, and they will be able to produce themselves. and, at a "low cost".

so that's why I'm so worried about "real life experiences". sorry for the long reply
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac

You are throwing great information here, thank you guys
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
I was so shocked that my idea of "opening a recording studio" changed to "opening a rehearsal recording studio" (so the band can be themselves). the feeling to control the tempo, and not the tempo controlling you is amazing. I'm pretty sure when musicians experience that kind of recording they will prefer it, and they will be able to produce themselves. and, at a "low cost".

so that's why I'm so worried about "real life experiences". sorry for the long reply
Interestingly this is exactly what I just did. I changed my setup so that I could use my studio for both production and rehearsal. I also take the same setup on the road with me at events. When you factor that MOTU can route audio via AVB to devices that are upto 7 hops apart with each hop being upto 100meters apart, that is a total of 700meters.

I use a Presonus StudioLive as my FOH and the 1248 as my stage box connected via AVB with 100 meters of CAT6 cable. I have extra i/o on stage for drums off an Antelope Audio Discrete 8 connected to the 1248 via ADAT. This is a live show that is broadcasted on TV as well. The Music Director uses the Discrete 8 for playback and VI instruments via Thunderbolt as well.

Audio from the music directors MacBook Pro is routed via Thunderbolt to the Discrete 8 then out via ADAT to the 1248. From the 1248 the Audio is routed via the FPGA (not through the internal mixer) to an AVB network stream to the StudioLive 32. I do all the processing (EQ, Dynamics, Reverb, Delay) on the StudioLive 32. I also do the broadcast, monitor and FOH mix using the remote App for the StudioLive 32, 1248 and Discrete 8. I route the aux mixes back to the 1248 via AVB. I use the 2 headphones AMP on the 1248 for the drummer and bass player, and the headphone amps on the Discrete 8 for Music Director/Keys and Guitar. Having the band on in-ears helps keep recordings clean. I record from the StudioLive via USB on a MacBook Pro.

Nobody has complained of latency yet. I was amazed because I thought I would have to use the internal mixer of the Discrete 8 or the MOTU 1248 but the extra latency added by send everything to the desk for processing and back for monitoring does not have a negative impact on the performances at all.

I’m limited to working at 48kHz sample rate by the StudioLive 32. I imagine if I could work at 96kHz things would improve greatly.

The quality of preamps at affordable prices today is amazing, so is the conversion quality, the FPGA technology showing up on audio devices that has enabled routing audio in and out of devices at low latencies, and the availability of hardware modelled software processing. The Technology has really come of age.

Regards,
Enoch
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
you know, reading ladygaya (whom is very supportive), I think my routing might help.

I do as follows

I set my guitar / mic / bass / synth all of them to main mix. later I also set an aux for each outboard gear that I want to.

for example, I set my mic to aux 1. the AUX 1 outputs to different hardware reverbs. I also activate the reverbs ins so I can send them to main mix. the routing is very powerful because I can send the mic signal to many different effects boxes, which is awesome. I can also route my headphone amp to my boss SE50, which is also very thoughtful of the mixer. with just 1 aux!

in the main mix, u can click the small matrix window and choose ur output for monitoring.

it's the closest to TRUE non discearnable latency that I have ever experienced. the latency must be lower than 1.5 ms, because even at 2 ms, I can hear comb filtering and delays (I posted the round trip test in the topic for it). and I don't hear comb filter monitoring through Motu's avb.

after I figured out how to route in Motu's matrix, I have been a huge fan of HW reverb and multi effects and been collecting all I can. it's incredible to perform with effects without worrying about cpu and with no latency. it's really awesome.

my plan is to open a studio having a 1248 at the recording room, and 1 16A at the monitoring room through AVB. it'll save me thousands in cables / structure. but I am still worrying how bad the latency would be, as my compressors would be attached to the 16A.

so the signal route would be 1248 mic preamp -> AVB cable -> 16A -> compressor -> AVB cable -> 1248 -> headphones. if anyone can share their experience I would love to hear them, specially latency wise.

hope this is helpful
This setup will add a little bit of latency, but not much. The bigger concern is sound quality as you are adding another round of DA/AD conversion. For the preamps on the 1248 there isn't much you can do about it. But If you have outboard preamps wouldn't it make more sense to run them directly into the compressors if you are trying to record with compression? Or if not, couldn't you monitor the 1248 signal directly and apply compression later as to not ad any latency?
Old 18th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofishy View Post
This setup will add a little bit of latency, but not much. The bigger concern is sound quality as you are adding another round of DA/AD conversion. For the preamps on the 1248 there isn't much you can do about it. But If you have outboard preamps wouldn't it make more sense to run them directly into the compressors if you are trying to record with compression? Or if not, couldn't you monitor the 1248 signal directly and apply compression later as to not ad any latency?
hi thanks for ur comment. I record in 96 due to lower latency, and the setup I mentioned the latency is really negligible. if you haven't tried, please do try it urself, it really is AMAZING. I will contact MOTU soon to verify some info, but I didn't have time yet to compile all info I want. KimGitz did however posted some numbers like these :
"

A/D - 12 samples
FPGA in - 4 samples
FPGA out - 4 samples
D/A - 6 samples

Total - 26 samples

*** please note that Motu's interface has a mixer, so there might be more latency than the reported numbers above.
"

I do have dedicated preamp / compressor. but I have at best 30 min to 1 hour per day, if it's a good day, so unfortunately I don't have the time yet nor a patchbay to do that.

What really strikes me, and makes me amazed is that even though I'm routing through the motu 1248, my performance is not affected, as long as it's under 1.5 ms. even guitar pedalboards makes me slightly bothered by the latency.

one of the symptoms I notice that latency is affecting performance is the loudness required to record, at least to me. when I have to crank up the volume, or have to sign loud, latency is definitely affecting me, as the sound I'm monitoring has to be louder (and I get fatigued quickly). seems simple, but I had to do a really lot of thinking to figure that out. as soon as I learned how to monitor through the interface, the levels I require to record are at least 1/3 lower.

regarding degraded audio due to extra conversion, I'm sorry but I can't hear unless u have to do that many times. to me, if that bothers you, the interface might need to be changed. but that's just my opinion and would happy to be corrected.

I'm learning a lot from you guys too, so keep info and experiences coming. I'm planning to open a studio next year, and at the moment, the only thing that might make me change plans is a new apogee interface with flexible routings. gosh, their new plugin is groundbreaking.

thank u!
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Nut

Has anyone here bought a Mac Mini (2018) for use with MOTU AVB interfaces and DP9.52? What spec did you choose? I'm trying to figure out whether I should buy one or just stick with my Macbook Pro 13".
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear
Dammit! I'm looking to build a 32x32 (or bigger) system and the original Orion can be had for $1200 now. You guys are making it a tough choice. Lots to consider here. I started on a Motu 2408 and have always liked their company and trusted their stuff.
Old 26th December 2018
Here for the gear

Sonarworks type thing on motu AVB?

Is there still someone from MOTU who checks in on this thread? If so, here's a question: is it feasible for the fpga processing in the AVB interfaces to host something like the Sonarworks monitoring correction plugins? I wonder if you could create a processor that could use the measurements created with their measurement app--as an alternative to running their plugin on the master fader of your DAW.
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

Just got a new 828es. Not as thrilled as I thought I would be. Turns out I have figured out how the mixer matrix works, but it was not working properly on the 828--so I wasted an hour thinking I didn't have it figured out--mixer flakey, not performing as it should.

On the mixer at one point--white 'sound level' bar at zero db, whether sound is playing or not. Reboot and that went away--then no sound level bars at all. Mixer faders do not have any impact on volume. If I disconnect mixer, sound stops. However, muting the channels including main out does not mute sound. I go into touch screen part and the level bars go up and down with music volume. Touch a few things there and things get flaky again. Since I don't use the touch screen, I downloaded and installed the pre-touch screen firmware and the mixer is working properly now. I presume this is flaky software not flaky hardware, so not going to return the unit quite yet, but very disappointing. On hold with motu tech support for 14 minutes when I decided to back out the touch screen and see if that fixed things.

One really confusing thing about the matrix is calling the sound sources at the top of the matrix 'inputs'. Once I saw it described as sound sources and the left hand side as destinations, I was able to make sense of it. Needless to say, in all other equipment, one plugs a source into an input--like the guitar input on the amp. Nobody plugs their guitar into an output--same with other gear of course.
Old 27th December 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear about your problems. If the 828es really is faulty, I'm sure MotU support will confirm it so you can get a replacement in the works. In the meantime, though, it's worth making absolutely sure that it isn't some unintentional configuration issue with the routing matrix. If you have the main outputs connected directly to any inputs it would behave as you describe: faders associated with the mixer would have no effect on the output at all.

A typical configuration should have the Main L/R mixer sources routed to the Main L/R destinations. The same sources can be routed to the Phones 1/2 and 3/4 pairs, but it's equally likely you'd use the Monitor L/R sources for one or both instead (and yes, I completely agree that the labels Source / Destination would make it all far easier for new owners to grasp than the current bizarre Input / Output terminology.)

EDIT: In fact, I just wrote to MotU to explain that this is a common source of confusion and suggested the specific terminology change. Of course, it would be a huge pain for them to change all of the documentation, videos, etc. but it might be worth it in the long run.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Agreed, and thank you so much for informing the company, LG.

The saga of my updating from PCI-424 to AVB has dragged on almost 4 years now and even included losing lay-buy money, but, and I know I've said this before, it should be possible to do this in the next few months.

I've been hoping for some time that MOTU would tackle the confusing-I/O-naming thing before I jumped onboard, but admittedly I didn't think anything I might have said to it would have had any effect. Figured I ought to "simply" upgrade my personal diligence.

Thank you once again, mate!
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

This gear is so maddening. One my 16A's just decided to start acting weird. Instead of making music the past two hours has been spent trying to get the 16A not to just hang. For reference:

3 x 16A
1 x 1248
1 x 24Ai
1 x AVB Switch

I force all of them onto sequential IP addresses (just in case there was a conflict). I can access the cursed 16A directly, but when I change AVB input stream count it just hangs and never comes back. I have to hard reset it.

It has worked fine for the past year or two. All are on latest firmware. No PC/Mac is attached. Tried factory reset as well.

I'm at my wits end here -- for 6 months things will be fine, then I waste days trying to get things to work again. It makes me keep reconsidering getting a big mixer again.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

the specific hang seems to be one when I try to change input streams from 5 to 7 on my 3rd 16A. The others are at 7/2 (in/out) and seem fine. This one just hangs (continues to operate but no Web UI) when I sent from 5/2 to 7/2. Other interfaces are 9/0 (1248), 0/3 (24Ai), 7/2 (16A), 7/2 (16A), all through a single AVB switch.

If I turn off, say, one of the 16As, I can change the number of input streams on the 'bad' one. then if I turn the other devices back on, it chokes with "could not communicate with device".
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
the specific hang seems to be one when I try to change input streams from 5 to 7 on my 3rd 16A. The others are at 7/2 (in/out) and seem fine. This one just hangs (continues to operate but no Web UI) when I sent from 5/2 to 7/2. Other interfaces are 9/0 (1248), 0/3 (24Ai), 7/2 (16A), 7/2 (16A), all through a single AVB switch.

If I turn off, say, one of the 16As, I can change the number of input streams on the 'bad' one. then if I turn the other devices back on, it chokes with "could not communicate with device".
That doesn't sound fun at all, hopefully once they return from their holiday break you'll get some help from MotU support. The only thoughts that leap to mind are whether you're exceeding available bandwidth, which shouldn't be the case on gigabit ethernet. Multiple questions:
  1. What sample rate are you using? I can see the potential for bandwidth limits even on gigabit at 192kHz.
  2. Have you checked your Ethernet cables? I've had several that should have been good for 1Gb but in practice resulted in falling back to 100Mb.
  3. Are you sure there's nothing else plugged into the AVB switch that might be limited to 100Mb? This should affect point-to-point communication, but it might give the switch fits trying to reserve bandwidth.
  4. Is the switch on the latest firmware?
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Incredible. So if I just have my 1248 + 16A#1, works fine. If I turn on 16A#2, then it works fine....but 16A#1 stops communicating. WTF MOTU.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
That doesn't sound fun at all, hopefully once they return from their holiday break you'll get some help from MotU support. The only thoughts that leap to mind are whether you're exceeding available bandwidth, which shouldn't be the case on gigabit ethernet. Multiple questions:
  1. What sample rate are you using? I can see the potential for bandwidth limits even on gigabit at 192kHz.
  2. Have you checked your Ethernet cables? I've had several that should have been good for 1Gb but in practice resulted in falling back to 100Mb.
  3. Are you sure there's nothing else plugged into the AVB switch that might be limited to 100Mb? This should affect point-to-point communication, but it might give the switch fits trying to reserve bandwidth.
  4. Is the switch on the latest firmware?
Debugging this is a nightmare. I've been using AVB for years now (you can look back in this thread) and generally it works fine, but MOTU SW stability is pretty grim.

To answer -- I'm only running at 48KHz. All my cables are CAT6, but I suppose there's a small chance one is slowly dying so I'll give them another swap.

AVB switch is small enough that I know every device plugged into it -- internet connection; 1248; 24Ai; 16A x 3 -- that's all that fits Lights showing activity on all and 1Gb solid.

Everything is on latest firmware (afaik there's no beta firmware out right now).

I don't even have a PC connected to any since I know that can cause problems. I just want the devices speaking to each other and the Web browser.

It's a 100% repro at this point.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

No fun at all. I hope you’re able to sort it out soon.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

What's really odd is that on occasion I'll reboot a 16A and it won't recognize it.
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-capture.jpg  
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Good lord. Unplugging everything, shutting everything down, then turning on each device one by one eventually got it to get unstuck.
Old 1st January 2019
Lives for gear

Well, let's hope the unstuck state sticks.
Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Here's brief feedback on my 1248 use in the past few weeks.

The build quality is better than past MOTU units I've owned. Nothing feels loose or cheap. Connectors are sturdy but easy to plug things in. Display is fine, for what it is.

Despise the Matrix routing in Pro Audio Control, but got it sorted thanks to LG. Great for those who need complex routing, annoying to the rest of us who just want to get to work.

Mic and analog ins sound great to me when recording vocals or synths. Best A/D I've ever owned. I can't speak to the D/A as I'm using a monitor controller over S/PDIF which is doing the D/A. Sounds clear as hell though, as if I got new monitors and no audible noise at reasonable listening levels. I've been testing with all new well-made cabling FWIW.

Mic preamps seem to be really good. I A/B a dynamic mic using a Cloudlifter CL-1 and going direct into the 1248, and the CL-1 had way more noise where it was audible in a bad way. Nice that there's plenty of gain if you use dynamic mics. My voice isn't even very loud and I don't sing, so you could use even less gain for an even cleaner signal possibly. I don't have an external hardware preamp to test.

One drawback to some might be that it can't handle too many virtual instruments and plug-ins at low buffers, but this will depend on which VIs, plug-ins and computer you use. I'm on a 10-core iMac Pro running DP 9.5. I'm finding that I can use higher sample buffers (like 256) and still not have latency problems so they must have improved the way DP handles input lag—need to test more though as I've been busy, but I had 10-15 VIs running at 64, 128 and 256 depending on what they were, with a few plug-ins added. My MIDI controller keyboard is going into the MIDI interface using a MIDI cable, not using USB to the computer. BFD3, Stylus RMX and Vienna don't tax it much at all. Play, Kontakt and Cyclop were moderate if I recall. Waves Element was a bit heavy. UVI with a Vir Harmonic library hit the system the hardest. For most tracks, 128 was actually running decent with spikes, so YMMV. External synths with a good deal of MIDI are fine obviously since the comp is just handling the MIDI notes. I've only recorded in one track using VIs and external sound modules and was able to record about 20 or so tracks at once (mostly mono, some stereo) at 64 samples with all plug-ins removed. Processing was almost pegged but I had no drop outs or crackling. For me, that will do just fine.

Mixing is great so far with the 1248 at 24/44.1, 24/88.2, or 24/96. Even my heaviest projects that would crush my old workstation aren't even reaching 50% processing with iMac Pro / 1248 combo. Playback meter is typically higher than the processing meter on my system. I'm using the internal NVME for project files and external NVME chassis over TB3 for samples/libraries and the boot drive is also TB3 NVME. The internal sound card can't handle much, especially at low buffers.

I think maybe twice the interface stopped being recognized after I was using the computer all day and jumping between different apps. Restart was needed. I have been doing lots of installs and such so that could have affected it. Hasn't happened in maybe 2 weeks.

The biggest annoyance so far is if I have DP 9.5 open and then use external apps that need the interface as well, like RX 7 or Melodyne, DP will throw an error and disable the audio system. I can re-enable it, but it's annoying and didn't happen with older MOTU interfaces I used that were being shared between apps. Need to contact MOTU et al to figure out if there's a solution as this a real slowdown for me when trying to work fast.

All-in-all I am impressed with the quality of the 1248 for the price. Still need to test more things like the instrument inputs. Few kinks that I mentioned, but overall it was a great investment for me and is doing what I need.
Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear

One note I would like to add separately about the iMac Pro / 1248 combo that I've noticed (at least with my setup) is that if I have a project in looping playback and hit 1 on the number keypad to jump back to the loop start point during playback, it's basically instantaneous and nothing falls out of sync. This is impressive to me, because even my heaviest track that has ~100 audio tracks and maybe 2 dozen live MIDI tracks and plugins galore doesn't lag out when jumping to the loop start.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search