The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

I'm using a 1428, so that may be the difference.
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone found a way around the occasional distortion and such with the new windows patch?
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Maniac

My system has swapped the distortion moments for silence moments. At random times the 24ao goes silent and is only fixed by changing some parameter like buffer size. Then it happens again several times in the next hours.

I don´t know if motu is aware of this problems with Windows lastest updates
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Head

I just got a Motu 8A and having one issue with it. Wanted to see if maybe I'm overlooking something before contacting Motu about it.

Computer using Windows 10, USB connected to Motu 8a, all firmware and drivers up to date, DAW is Presonus Studio One 4.

It works fine when using it and I've never had the problem while audio is playing through it, but if I walk away from the desk for a while, say 10 or 15 minutes and come back and hit play on my DAW, its like the audio is no longer connected to the MOTU. The Computer and DAW are still showing its connected, just the audio doesn't work. If I flip the MOTU off and then back on it then works fine, or an easier way I found to fix it is to just go to the AVB Web App and just change the number of audio inputs or outputs from my computer, say from 10 to 11, and suddenly the audio works again.

It's almost like the MOTU goes to sleep if not being used for a little bit. Anyone else experience anything like this, or is there something I may be overlooking?
Old 29th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James7800 View Post
...It's almost like the MOTU goes to sleep if not being used for a little bit. Anyone else experience anything like this, or is there something I may be overlooking?
The motu avb devices do not have some sort of sleep mode to my knowledge. I suspect its usb that is going to sleep in this situation. There are windows settings to disable the sleeping of usb devices after a period of inactivity. If its a laptop, laptops have more aggressive power management settings in order to conserve battery life.
Old 29th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
The motu avb devices do not have some sort of sleep mode to my knowledge. I suspect its usb that is going to sleep in this situation. There are windows settings to disable the sleeping of usb devices after a period of inactivity. If its a laptop, laptops have more aggressive power management settings in order to conserve battery life.
Ponzi, Thanks for the suggestions, turns out it was a usb power setting in Windows 10 that was giving me the issue. It wasn't in the main power managements settings, I've had all of those set on maximum performance. The setting that fixed mine was under Device Manager, USB controller root hub, under properties there is a power management tab and I had to deselect a box that apparently was set to shut off the usb to save power.

Lots of credit to Motu Customer Service, they PMed me after seeing my post and helped get it resolved. Pretty awesome customer service when they reach out to you before you reach out to them!
Old 1st November 2018
Here for the gear
i am considering getting a 16A but it's been around for years now. anyone have an idea when it may be replaced or updated? i believe it would suit me capably for a long time but is it about to be old tech? thanks for any opinions.
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugtastic View Post
i am considering getting a 16A but it's been around for years now...
More than a year? What year do you think it was added to their product line?
Old 1st November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugtastic View Post
i am considering getting a 16A but it's been around for years now. anyone have an idea when it may be replaced or updated? i believe it would suit me capably for a long time but is it about to be old tech? thanks for any opinions.
Buy it now, it's in a good spot in the development - it sounds great and has robust routing options - convertors are very good - you'll be happy
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It think it came out in 2014.

Still sounding good and working well for me. MOTU are good at supporting their interfaces for quite a long time after release unlike some companies.
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post

Still sounding good and working well for me. MOTU are good at supporting their interfaces for quite a long time after release unlike some companies.
I thought it was more recent. I see on their web site it won an award in 2014. Unless motu has announced new products or plans, I don't think there is any way of knowing what they have in the pipeline. I am thinking about getting an 828es for my second listening room...
Old 1st November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
It did. Announced in July 2014 alongside the 1248 and 8M (the latter of which I would assume has largely been replaced by the 828pre-ES earlier this year, an apparent refresh with new pre-amps.) It’s always a guessing game when it comes to what technology might be just around the corner and so worrying about it is an easy path to madness.

Buy products that meet your needs and fit your budget. Never buy any technology on the basis that it’s the “latest and greatest.” Focus on what it can do for you instead, which won’t change just because something else comes out. If a product feels like an unfortunate compromise, though, or you don’t actually need it right away then it makes complete sense to wait and see what happens.

I needed a high quality digital mixer / audio / MIDI interface so I bought the 828es to meet those immediate needs, knowing that it could easily be expanded via AVB. I want more input channels but I can easily live without, so I’m waiting to see what MotU releases that might suit my specific expansion desires better than their current offerings.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

A couple of questions. First, does anyone know if the monitor out level (1248 and 828es) is based on an 'analog' type of level control, or does it do the volume controlling through digital means. The implications of this are if the output is lowered in the digital domain, the quality or resolution will be reduced along with the volume. I have a mackie big knob to control volume, but I never really found out for sure if leaving the motu 1248 output on high and going thru an attenuator was in fact a good way to improve play back quality--and frankly that big knob passive, less than a year old, is getting crackly when I turn the knob.

Also, getting close to getting the 828es for a second listening room. Would I be wise to sit tight until black friday in hopes of getting a sale price? Sweetwater claims to be doing a black friday sale now, but no discount on the 828es. I have never paid much attention to black friday before, but maybe I should...
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

I think the volume control on the 1248 is done properly by trimming the DAC output trim, not lowering the digital level before the DAC. So it should sound better than the mackie big knob placed after the DAC
Old 16th November 2018
Here for the gear

Hey there!

Started looking at the 1248 after selling my Ensemble TB.
Has there been any plans for MOTU to release any new interfaces? Or is this still a solid option? Was also looking at the Discrete 8 from Antelope, but have heard very mixed things about their customer support...

Cheers
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

No experience with the antelope but Motu support has been second to none for me. I live in a different country but was one of the early adopters and when my original unit developed a problem they replaced it for me with minimal fuss. A lot of other companies have given me issues because of my living in a different country. Other than that issue, the unit has been great.
Old 16th November 2018
I wouldn't expect a replacement for the 1248 anytime soon; MOTU has been releasing additional AVB models since the 1248 hit, but each addresses a different market segment and all, including the 1248, have been supported by continuing firmware and driver updates. The Touch Console is among these developments, and is a big improvement when controlling the interface via phones and tablets.

I ran an 828mkII (Firewire) for about 14 years, and the device was supported by MOTU with driver updates all the way (still is!). Sure, it is possible MOTU may introduce a 1248mkII at some point, but I doubt it will be before 2020.
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus View Post
I wouldn't expect a replacement for the 1248 anytime soon; MOTU has been releasing additional AVB models since the 1248 hit, but each addresses a different market segment and all, including the 1248, have been supported by continuing firmware and driver updates.
The ongoing support is great to see and I agree there’s no evidence a 1248 replacement is due - but the 8pre-es looks a whole lot like an 8M replacement. We may start to see more second generation AVB devices trickle out in time.
Old 17th November 2018
Gear Addict
What I love about the initial AVB interfaces from MOTU is they have 16 streams of AVB at 1x sample rates and 8 streams at 4x sample rates.

I wish they could upgrade the 1248 with control room features! I had the opportunity to pick between the 1248 and the new ES branded AVB interfaces and still ended up buying the 1248.
Old 17th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
What I love about the initial AVB interfaces from MOTU is they have 16 streams of AVB at 1x sample rates and 8 streams at 4x sample rates.

I wish they could upgrade the 1248 with control room features! I had the opportunity to pick between the 1248 and the new ES branded AVB interfaces and still ended up buying the 1248.
I've wondered why someone would choose the 1248 instead of the 828es. The 1248 seems to be missing a lot of the 828es features, but the 1248 has 4 pre's instead of 2, is that it?
Old 17th November 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
I've wondered why someone would choose the 1248 instead of the 828es. The 1248 seems to be missing a lot of the 828es features, but the 1248 has 4 pre's instead of 2, is that it?
The 1248 has 2 more mic pres which I need and 2 independent hi-z inputs. I don’t need the timecode or MIDI I/O, and okay with jack outputs for my mains. I will miss the control room features but I have a mixing desk. The 1248 has 16 AVB streams I/O the 828es has 4. I use AVB heavily.
Old 17th November 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The 1248 has 2 more mic pres which I need and 2 independent hi-z inputs. I don’t need the timecode or MIDI I/O, and okay with jack outputs for my mains. I will miss the control room features but I have a mixing desk. The 1248 has 16 AVB streams I/O the 828es has 4. I use AVB heavily.

Hi how do u use avb? How is ur experience with it? Positive? Negative? Lots of money? Thanks
Old 17th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thank you, that explains it clearly. I usually use external pre's and I have no use for AVB, so I'm glad they make both!
Old 17th November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
Hi how do u use avb? How is ur experience with it? Positive? Negative? Lots of money? Thanks
I can't speak for Michael's experience. But I use a 1248 and 24ao via AVB and it works great! They sync quickly and I can clock via AVB from either device. Furthermore you can control the avb connected Motu device from the motu control panel
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Those who aren't familiar with AVB may not realize that each AVB stream carries eight audio channels. I bought the 828es knowing about the 4 stream limit – which means that it can send 32 audio channels and receive 32 audio channels simultaneously. That's more than enough for the near term in my setup, and it would allow it to be used as a satellite around one of their more capable hubs (like the 1248 or 16A) if I decide to expand aggressively in the future.
Old 17th November 2018
The ADC is also the ESS Sabre 32 on the 1248 - the 828 is a different (presumably cheaper) ADC - the DAC is the same ESS Sabre 32 on both units

So they will perform a little different on tracking...
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
The ADC is also the ESS Sabre 32 on the 1248 - the 828 is a different (presumably cheaper) ADC - the DAC is the same ESS Sabre 32 on both units

So they will perform a little different on tracking...
No reason to presume its lower quality. I thought I read it was the same device anyway.
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Addict
I Love AVB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
My AVB experience has been great.
We have three small studios in one building (we decided to move the studios from our bedrooms). Each Studio has a Presonus StudioLive 32 (96 Mic Pres total) all three connected to the 1248. We never record all 96 Mic Pres simultaneously but we do use the consoles to mix large pre recorded projects or collaborate. Due to the small sized studios we often record live bands split across the three studios.
For Live use, I now ran two 100m/300ft CAT6A cables as my snake cable, one for control/data another for AVB Audio. The latency is......what latency? I have used the SL32 FOH and the 1248 as a stage box. I add more mic pres to the 1248 via ADAT. So audio from a mic input on an 8 channel mic pre connected to the 1248 via ADAT, the 1248 send the audio signal to the SL32 via AVB for mixing, the mixed Main LR and Aux Mixes are sent from the SL32 back to the 1248 which is connected to a 6way headphone Amp, stage wedges and FOH Speakers. It takes less than a minute to reconnect and pass audio if the AVB cable gets pluggged out accidentally unlike an analog cable which restores audio immediately it is reconnected.

I have a lot of hope with the Milan Project. The MOTU discovery app recognises the Presonus AVB consoles but the Presonus UC Surface doesn’t. Looking forward to when we have a straight forward way for AVB devices from different manufacturers playing nicely together

Last edited by KimGitz; 18th November 2018 at 06:17 PM..
Old 18th November 2018
Quote:
No reason to presume its lower quality. I thought I read it was the same device anyway.
I presume it’s lower quality because Motu do not mention the ADC on the 828es webpage, only the DAC - this means they are not focusing on the ADC quality as a selling point - it seems like something left to differentiate the flagship 1248.

It is for certain Not the same ADC - it has different tech specs - the 828 actually has 1dB greater dynamic range (118dB vs 117dB on the 1248), but worse TDH+N @ (-108dB vs -110 dB for the 1248) - so it will likely still be of very high quality, but maybe a more cost effective solution?

Last edited by Hardtoe; 19th November 2018 at 01:18 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search