The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 27th September 2018
  #3661
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

So a couple of days and no failures. I haven't been tracking in my DAW (ASIO) but no failures where I was getting them, Youtube,local files, streaming etc using Windows sound system. I've been running LatencyMon 24x7 while using the system for all kinds of normal stuff including VNC to 2 different machines and not a peep from it. Yes I realize this is not the correct way to run LatencyMon but if I'm not getting any errors taxing the system to me that means my system is clean DPC wise. So still waiting for the Ultralite to puke on me and hopefully I can capture something in LatencyMon.

Stay tuned.
Old 28th September 2018
  #3662
Gear Maniac
 

I still have issues but can cope with them changing the buffer. Let me know if you find some solution


Another question, do you know if I can use an old Ipad 1 to control the interface from safari? I have one that I don´t use and for some reason I cannot download the discovery app.
Old 30th September 2018
  #3663
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
hi kind and cool Motu avb owners.

has anyone with two avb units or more has done the RTL test?

I shared my single motu 1248 result here
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base :

I also did a RTL to test scenarios like one source being recorded and routed through some hardware to check the total latency.

but I would love if someone could do RTL tests with the following scenario:

rtl test signal goes to mixer, goes to another avb unit, comes back to original avb unit, goes to computer. if any kind owner of two avb units I'd be very grateful.

my macbook is 2013, so it's time to upgrade as sooner or later it'll be dropped support, so I'm thinking in getting another avb too!

also, can anyone run their avb motu line at 96K 32 buffer size with a laptop? if yes what model? thank u very much!!!
USB or Thunderbolt???
Old 30th September 2018
  #3664
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
Another question, do you know if I can use an old Ipad 1 to control the interface from safari? I have one that I don´t use and for some reason I cannot download the discovery app.
Sure - just type the MOTU's IP address into the URL bar in Safari
Old 30th September 2018
  #3665
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by benqbasic View Post
USB or Thunderbolt???
Thunderbolt please thank u
Old 30th September 2018
  #3666
So my new iMac setup has a glitch where if I turn off my 1248, my Bluetooth mouse & keyboard both disconnect and I have to restart to get them to connect again (Bluetooth will not turn on, box is greyed out)

Any ideas about how to fix this issue?
Old 1st October 2018
  #3667
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
Sure - just type the MOTU's IP address into the URL bar in Safari
Do you know what to do if the unit doesn´t show the ip address?
It is connected by USB in windows 10
Old 1st October 2018
  #3668
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Anyone having distortion problems since updating to Windows 1803? After the update, my Ultralite AVB latest driver and firmware starts distorting intermittently. Sounds like a sample mismatch. Hitting the MOTU control panel and changing any option, sample rate, buffers, etc, fixes it..

I regressed to the previous version of Windows and all is well so it's an 1803 problem.
Also loaded a fresh 1803 copy of Windows with nothing else other than MOTU and basics, still fails.

Any ideas?
Yeah I have this too. I raised a ticket with Motu.

It happens intermittently, and seems like a Windows / driver related issue.

One thing I noted in my experiments is that the 'Release ASIO driver in the background' setting in Cubase really seemed to have an impact, leaving this unchecked (which is not my standard setting) seems to help minimise the issues, though it still happens.

It's annoying tho as I have to remember to do a quick test audio recording on every session to be sure that recording is kosher - burned myself in one drum session where I forgot to check and lost a lot of takes...
Old 1st October 2018
  #3669
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
Yeah I have this too. I raised a ticket with Motu.

It happens intermittently, and seems like a Windows / driver related issue.

One thing I noted in my experiments is that the 'Release ASIO driver in the background' setting in Cubase really seemed to have an impact, leaving this unchecked (which is not my standard setting) seems to help minimise the issues, though it still happens.

It's annoying tho as I have to remember to do a quick test audio recording on every session to be sure that recording is kosher - burned myself in one drum session where I forgot to check and lost a lot of takes...
Thank you for the information and reporting to MOTU. For me, this all started after the update to Windows 1803 version. Like you say, the biggest danger is if the interface is in a "borked state" and you start recording without realizing it.

Hopefully MOTU gets to the bottom of this, or that the upcoming Windows release in October somehow fixes whatever it broke in the 1803 update.
Old 1st October 2018
  #3670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
So my new iMac setup has a glitch where if I turn off my 1248, my Bluetooth mouse & keyboard both disconnect and I have to restart to get them to connect again (Bluetooth will not turn on, box is greyed out)

Any ideas about how to fix this issue?
Don't turn off the interface. (Sorry for flippancy, but the 1248 doesn't draw much power, so why not just leave it running?)
Old 1st October 2018
  #3671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
Sure - just type the MOTU's IP address into the URL bar in Safari
Push the "ID" button (Mic Pre #2 Gain Knob).

I connect my 828es via USB and Ethernet (macOS); try this if you can't connect through your network.

Depending on how old the iPad is, you may not get the best results. I have an original iPad Air, and performance of the MOTU web app is generally acceptable, but it does occasionally bog down.

I have read the latest iOS provides better performance on older iDevices; Reading this, I'm reminded to try it out on the iPad Air.
Old 1st October 2018
  #3672
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus View Post
Push the "ID" button (Mic Pre #2 Gain Knob).

I connect my 828es via USB and Ethernet (macOS); try this if you can't connect through your network.

Depending on how old the iPad is, you may not get the best results. I have an original iPad Air, and performance of the MOTU web app is generally acceptable, but it does occasionally bog down.

I have read the latest iOS provides better performance on older iDevices; Reading this, I'm reminded to try it out on the iPad Air.
When I press the Id button, the IP address is blank, do you know what could be causing this?
Old 1st October 2018
  #3673
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
When I press the Id button, the IP address is blank, do you know what could be causing this?
I do not.

Perhaps it would be best to place a call to MOTU, or submit a tech link on line. MOTU has been very responsive to my occasional queries.

What if you connect via Ethernet in addition to USB? Don't know if it would make a difference, but simple to test.
Old 2nd October 2018
  #3674
tft
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
When I press the Id button, the IP address is blank, do you know what could be causing this?
it means you have no connection to a network. the ip adress is only needed and generated, when you connect the interface to a computer or wifi-router (or whatever network ...) via ethernetcable.

if this is not the case, no adress
Old 2nd October 2018
  #3675
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
When I press the Id button, the IP address is blank, do you know what could be causing this?
My 1248 gets its ip address from my home dhcp server which is in my router. If the network cable is not plugged in, it will not get an ip address. I use usb and only hook up the network cable to upgrade firmware.

The motu software installed on the pc has the ability to identify the usb connection and prepare a url for it that goes into the browser. That is what I use.
Old 7th October 2018
  #3676
Gear Nut
 
wilkinsi's Avatar
It would be nice if MOTU distributors would sell spare adhesive rubber feet. I got one set with my 8D, but not the 112D or 828es.
Old 7th October 2018
  #3677
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
It would be nice if MOTU distributors would sell spare adhesive rubber feet. I got one set with my 8D, but not the 112D or 828es.
If you're in USA, Home Depot sells various sizes of stick on rubber feet.
Old 7th October 2018
  #3678
Has anyone compared Sonic's between the 1248 and the quantum?
Old 7th October 2018
  #3679
Gear Nut
 
wilkinsi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
If you're in USA, Home Depot sells various sizes of stick on rubber feet.
I'm in the UK
Old 7th October 2018
  #3680
Lives for gear
 
loopy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I'm in the UK
Amazon.
Old 8th October 2018
  #3681
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Amazon.
Or eBay. Or rapid components, rs components, Farnell, bitsbox.co.uk etc.
Old 8th October 2018
  #3682
Gear Nut
 
wilkinsi's Avatar
Already found some on eBay, but they're definitely not the same.

I have been sent some of these by the very kind Musictrack UK

Last edited by wilkinsi; 14th October 2018 at 01:01 PM..
Old 28th October 2018
  #3683
Lives for gear
 
AdamJay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
Try zooming in or out from Chrome's View menu.
This just saved my butt after trying to figure out what in the hell was going on with the AVB Pro Audio Control Console in Chrome.

I'm surprised MOTU hasn't documented this more. I imagine they get constant support inquiries about it. This thread is the only reference I've found to the issue.
Old 28th October 2018
  #3684
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
My 1248 gets its ip address from my home dhcp server which is in my router. If the network cable is not plugged in, it will not get an ip address. I use usb and only hook up the network cable to upgrade firmware.

The motu software installed on the pc has the ability to identify the usb connection and prepare a url for it that goes into the browser. That is what I use.
The Ultralite MK4 (no ethernet, usb-only) gets an IP-adress if it is connected via USB to a Mac or Windows computer that is part of a network. If so, my iPads see the Motu. Doesn't work if it is connected only to an iPad via the CCK. A huge disadvantage 'cause it makes it impossible to change anything in the settings of the Motu if it is only connected to an iPad.
Old 28th October 2018
  #3685
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
When my 1248 is connected via usb, its url is http://localhost:1280/0001f2fffe000989/#device. I was not aware of any sort of tcp protocol that goes over usb, but maybe there is something I am not aware of.
Old 29th October 2018
  #3686
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
When my 1248 is connected via usb, its url is http://localhost:1280/0001f2fffe000989/#device. I was not aware of any sort of tcp protocol that goes over usb, but maybe there is something I am not aware of.
The driver software opens a local socket (1280 in your example) to represent the USB device, and handles the underlying communication over USB for you. So the TCP connection is actually from your web browser to a local service running on your computer, hence the localhost address.
Old 29th October 2018
  #3687
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
The driver software opens a local socket (1280 in your example) to represent the USB device, and handles the underlying communication over USB for you. So the TCP connection is actually from your web browser to a local service running on your computer, hence the localhost address.
Thanks, and interesting to learn.
Old 29th October 2018
  #3688
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Thanks, and interesting to learn.
Always happy to provide insight where I can. The domain name "localhost" resolves to the address 127.0.0.1, which is always a loopback to the same machine. Try visiting http://localhost:1280 on a system with the drivers installed but no devices connected and you'll see that there must be something local handling the connection, as you'll get a simple page stating "No connected MOTU AVB devices."
Old 29th October 2018
  #3689
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Always happy to provide insight where I can. The domain name "localhost" resolves to the address 127.0.0.1, which is always a loopback to the same machine. Try visiting http://localhost:1280 on a system with the drivers installed but no devices connected and you'll see that there must be something local handling the connection, as you'll get a simple page stating "No connected MOTU AVB devices."
Thanks. I know what localhost is, but I was not aware of a layer 1/2 protocol for tcp over usb. A quick google makes reference to ethernet over usb. One hesitation I had is this usb link does not work for motu firmware updates and I have to hoop up an ethernet cable to do those.
Old 29th October 2018
  #3690
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
One hesitation I had is this usb link does not work for motu firmware updates and I have to hoop up an ethernet cable to do those.
Curious. It seems to be something that varies from device to device because the 828es claims to support firmware updates over Ethernet or USB. It's just Thunderbolt that is documented as being unable to update firmware on that device.

Mind you, I've always used Ethernet for the purpose so it's also possible the manual is in error.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump