The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 20th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofishy View Post
In that case you can clock the Motu to one of the external pres with a word clock cable. And then using the Moto word clock output (set to thru) you can pass that signal along via word clock cable to the other external preamps
Just to mention, there are a few different ways one can configure such a setup. As I use my 828es A/D conversion to interface my best analog mic preamps, the ones I use day in and day out, I prefer to make the 828 my word clock master and thus minimize any chance for jitter or error within the 828. I slave the optically-connected octo mic pres to the 828's internal clock using the word clock connection.
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I'm on Windows 10 x64 1803 but I noticed if I run 64/64 rather than 64/16 I get bursts of digital noise as well.
Something is funky here.

I have an Ultralite AVB via USB.
Just wanted to report back, that I bought a Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter for my new MacBook Pro and this issue doesn't occur when using thunderbolt. But for my ultralite AVB Thunderbolt is not option of course, so that sucks... But it should help pin down the problem. Do you use your Ultralite though a USB-C Adapter? Maybe USB-C is the problem here? What I will try next is to connect the Ultralite to an USB2-Hub and then to an USB-C Adapter, maybe that helps...
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
Just wanted to report back, that I bought a Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter for my new MacBook Pro and this issue doesn't occur when using thunderbolt. But for my ultralite AVB Thunderbolt is not option of course, so that sucks... But it should help pin down the problem. Do you use your Ultralite though a USB-C Adapter? Maybe USB-C is the problem here? What I will try next is to connect the Ultralite to an USB2-Hub and then to an USB-C Adapter, maybe that helps...
Thank you for reporting back. I am using the Ultralite AVB through a USB2 port and it's the only thing on the Root Hub according to USBView. No adapters.
Old 29th August 2018
Here for the gear

Is anyone on Windows (10 or otherwise) using a 1248 or other AVB interface over the AVB port, to get to the audio streams? I guess my question is do the newest ASIO drivers expose the audio channels as you would see in a Dante setup?
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Whilst trying to help a fella on the Kemper forum with his $100 Tascam US-122MKII USB interface, I stumbled upon the fact (in the manual) that if you set the clock source to S/PDIF, it automatically reverts to internal when the digital connection's "dead".

This, from a $100 interface, is exactly what I've been asking for.

MOTU, as I said earlier, your ability to implement this behaviour will determine whether I go for the 1248 or 16A as my primary interface, and is critical. I'll still be getting 2 24Ai units, but the primary one will determine what my reamping-through-Kemper M.O. will look like.

Please, MOTU, respond. I've been patient. Asked a while back...
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Please, MOTU, respond. I've been patient. Asked a while back...
You should call or email them. This isn’t one of their official support channels.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

I've used DP and MOTU MIDI and audio hardware exclusively for 20 years, so yeah, thanks.

If you've read the entire thread, as I have (followed it since day dot), you'd be aware of the fact that MOTU has treated it as such with AVB-line specificity.

Not only is it a whole-lot cheaper to ask here (I'm in Australia), but I can't help but feel that public requests serve at least a couple of additional interests that 'phone calls don't. First, there's pressure to be seen to be doing the right thing. Then there's the distinct possibility that someone else will add weight to the request by wanting the same thing.

If I call the company, I have no way of knowing the priority status of my request. I've seen how feature requests are treated by many, many companies over many years, after all...

That said, thank you for your suggestion, mate; I appreciate it.
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Do you know if there is a way to downgrade drivers and firewire?
I am having lots of trouble with my 24ao, small clicks and noises that require me to close all audio apps and change sample rate from 48 to 44 and back and then it stays ok for a while only to reappear.
Old 19th September 2018
Old 21st September 2018
Hi all - upgrading here from a Mac pro 2008 (2x2.8 GHz, quad-core Intel Xeon 5400 processors) to a new 2018 iMac 21" (3.6GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz 16GB 2400MHz DDR4).

I have been using a Motu 1248 in USB mode for the last couple years as my computer has no Thunderbolt port and I was not on El Capitan (10.11 - need for AVB ethernet) until recently.

I plan to keep my old computer around on the network as a file server and perhaps more - a couple of questions for those in the know.

1 - can both computers access the 1248 if I hook them up via ethernet & what would this look like - do I need a hub?

(a little confused on how, and if, this actually can go down) - not totally needed but might have some uses if possible

2 - what latency is like over thunderbolt VS AVB and any other performance issues I should be aware of between them - is thunderbolt a no brainer? (esp as I think I will end up using my ethernet port to network my old mac pro)

Thanks for any insights or tips - just trying to sort out my options here
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Throughput latency via AVB ethernet is around 9ms IIRC, and TB around 1.

Of course, if you're playing VI's via a controller, that 9ms becomes 4.5 as it's only half the trip.
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
...1 - can both computers access the 1248 if I hook them up via ethernet & what would this look like - do I need a hub? ...
My understanding is that the avb/ethernet hub aspect allows multiple motu devices for a given daw host computer. I don't think it supports mutiple host computers for a device. Also, my best recollection is that the 2008 cheese grater mac pro does not have an avb capable nic nor thunderbolt.

I imagine you could use the device with both computers, but by plugging it into the one you want to use it with--not a permanently connected shared network type thing.

If someone knows better, I will read with interest.
Old 21st September 2018
All good info, thanks Monkey Man & ponzi.

I have also now realized that it is a real pain to go Thunderbolt 3 to the older Thunderbolt on the 1248 - Apple sells a pricey adapter, and then you have to shell out bug bucks for very short Thunderbolt 3 cables (the longest I could find being 2 meters, which is barely long enough for my studio setup).

It would seem ethernet has big advantages over thunderbolt as far a cable runs go.

This has me leaning in the direction of getting a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, so I could just use one ethernet connection for my 1248 and the other to network my macs (as the iMac only has 1 ethernet port) - does this make any sense?

Or should I be looking at an ethernet hub instead of an adapter, and splitting my one port that way?

Or maybe I should just stick with USB as it's been working fine (except for having issues if I plug my phone into the USB ports)

Thanks, I find this all fairly confusing - to many connection protocals, ha ha
Old 21st September 2018
Quote:

Of course, if you're playing VI's via a controller, that 9ms becomes 4.5 as it's only half the trip.

so you are saying only 1ms for thunderbolt correct? That seems pretty incredible - do you know what it is for USB?
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

USB 2.0 for the 1248. Don't see any reason to make it more complicated than that--every computer can use that.
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

My AVB throughput is the same as the specs in the manual 0.6ms..
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
My AVB throughput is the same as the specs in the manual 0.6ms..
I was under the impression that 0.6ms was the MOTU device-to-device latency, but that device-to-host is significantly slower because it goes through the host network stack which is optimized more for throughput than low latency. If I remember correctly, MOTU explicitly recommends Thunderbolt over AVB for connection to the host for exactly this reason.
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I was under the impression that 0.6ms was the MOTU device-to-device latency, but that device-to-host is significantly slower because it goes through the host network stack which is optimized more for throughput than low latency. If I remember correctly, MOTU explicitly recommends Thunderbolt over AVB for connection to the host for exactly this reason.
That's right, I did see the articles about connecting the MOTU directly via ethernet.. As far as latency it only suggests it adds more and it's not recommended (like you said) due to Apple's current support of AVB.

Hmm, interesting stuff.. Seems I missed the bit were hardtoe was asking about direct connections.
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

Correct.

I thought he was asking about a direct-ethernet connection (AVB-ethernet-capable port on the 'puter). That's why I quoted roughly 9ms.

Quote:
so you are saying only 1ms for thunderbolt correct? That seems pretty incredible - do you know what it is for USB?
I was rounding down. Probably 1.5ms or so.

USB is half the AVB-ethernet figure I mentioned, so roughly 4.5ms IIRC.
Old 22nd September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

1 - can both computers access the 1248 if I hook them up via ethernet & what would this look like - do I need a hub?
You can connect two computers to your 1248 without an AVB Switch - one via USB or Thunderbolt and the other via AVB/Ethernet.
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone having distortion problems since updating to Windows 1803? After the update, my Ultralite AVB latest driver and firmware starts distorting intermittently. Sounds like a sample mismatch. Hitting the MOTU control panel and changing any option, sample rate, buffers, etc, fixes it..

I regressed to the previous version of Windows and all is well so it's an 1803 problem.
Also loaded a fresh 1803 copy of Windows with nothing else other than MOTU and basics, still fails.

Any ideas?
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Maniac

Yes. I am having similar problems but they take longer to appear, they too are fixed changing sample rate.

Motu, any ideas about this issue?
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Nut

1) I've seen Apple have released/are soon releasing OS X 10.14. I am holding off at least until MOTU say they support it. My question is really aimed at OS X 10.14 itself - Has anyone updated to 10.14, and was it worth updating?

2) I'm considering upgrading from a 2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina (2.7GHZ Dual Core, 8GB RAM) to a new 2018 Macbook Pro "15 (2.2GHZ 6-Core, 16GB RAM). Am I going to notice performance improvements in DP9.5? Is there noticeable added latency when using MOTU AVB interfaces with TB or USB adapters?
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

If you need a reliable system then it’s almost always worth holding off when a 10.X.0 release comes out. Broad adoption will surface quirks that didn’t show up during the beta, and the worst of them will get attention within a couple of months.

That said, I’ve been running every Mojave beta from the start and I haven’t had any recent problems specific relating to my setup, which includes a MOTU 828es. The drivers have worked just fine throughout (with the brief exception of Core MIDI drivers, which weren’t working for any devices except class compliant ones for a period of time, and those issues were addressed months back.) Still, caveat emptor. It’s always possible some other conflict can cause grief.
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
Yes. I am having similar problems but they take longer to appear, they too are fixed changing sample rate.

Motu, any ideas about this issue?
Mine are intermittent as well. I was running Process Lasso to see if I could capture something when it failed but I see nothing out of the ordinary.

So now, I'm running LatencyMon while I'm playing music and general browsing etc to see if that captures something unusual when it fails.
One thing for certain is that the Windows 1803 update is the cause because I was running for months without a single issue and as soon as I made the mistake of allowing my system to update to 1803, the problems began.
Also this appears to happen only with Windows sound system playing local files, Youtube, streaming music etc.

I have not experienced any failures with ASIO and my DAW.

Any ideas MOTU?
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
If you need a reliable system then it’s almost always worth holding off when a 10.X.0 release comes out. Broad adoption will surface quirks that didn’t show up during the beta, and the worst of them will get attention within a couple of months.

That said, I’ve been running every Mojave beta from the start and I haven’t had any recent problems specific relating to my setup, which includes a MOTU 828es. The drivers have worked just fine throughout (with the brief exception of Core MIDI drivers, which weren’t working for any devices except class compliant ones for a period of time, and those issues were addressed months back.) Still, caveat emptor. It’s always possible some other conflict can cause grief.
I'm a bit cautious about updating to Mojave, after going through a slew of annoyances with High Sierra when that was released. I've just updated my iPad (only bought it early August) to iOS 12, and really wish I had not, because of the extremely annoying limitations I'm now experiencing.

Last edited by wilkinsi; 26th September 2018 at 04:24 PM..
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

I’ve always kept a dedicated partition for experimental operating systems rather than relying strictly on backup / restore. It makes it much easier to just reboot if something seems to be amiss and see whether it’s truly OS-specific. I would never consider migrating immediately to a new OS at launch on a system I relied on for anything critical.
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mine are intermittent as well. I was running Process Lasso to see if I could capture something when it failed but I see nothing out of the ordinary.

So now, I'm running LatencyMon while I'm playing music and general browsing etc to see if that captures something unusual when it fails.
One thing for certain is that the Windows 1803 update is the cause because I was running for months without a single issue and as soon as I made the mistake of allowing my system to update to 1803, the problems began.
Also this appears to happen only with Windows sound system playing local files, Youtube, streaming music etc.

I have not experienced any failures with ASIO and my DAW.

Any ideas MOTU?
So about 16 hours into this experiment running LatencyMon while doing all kinds of non-daw work. For the record, everything is well in the green and I'm trying to kill this system but can't. Running Youtube, VLC, local media via MusicBee and get this, even a RealVNC session with a laptop running my work stuff... Hasn't failed yet either with LatencyMon or the crackling distortion from the Ultralite AVB.. What's weird is when it fails, it's solid and nothing but a change in buffers, either higher or lower, or sample rate, again, either higher or lower resets things till the next time it happens.. Again doesn't matter sample rate or buffer settings on the MOTU.

Again, this is Windows 1803 specific. I'm hoping the 1809 release in October will remedy this problem.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So about 16 hours into this experiment running LatencyMon while doing all kinds of non-daw work. For the record, everything is well in the green and I'm trying to kill this system but can't. Running Youtube, VLC, local media via MusicBee and get this, even a RealVNC session with a laptop running my work stuff... Hasn't failed yet either with LatencyMon or the crackling distortion from the Ultralite AVB.. What's weird is when it fails, it's solid and nothing but a change in buffers, either higher or lower, or sample rate, again, either higher or lower resets things till the next time it happens.. Again doesn't matter sample rate or buffer settings on the MOTU.

Again, this is Windows 1803 specific. I'm hoping the 1809 release in October will remedy this problem.
I am also getting the sound out suddenly disabled. Working with cubase and suddenly the sound goes off. I have to change buffers in the motu app to get the output back.

It happens four or five times in a row and then it´s fine for a while.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Maniac
hi kind and cool Motu avb owners.

has anyone with two avb units or more has done the RTL test?

I shared my single motu 1248 result here
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base :

I also did a RTL to test scenarios like one source being recorded and routed through some hardware to check the total latency.

but I would love if someone could do RTL tests with the following scenario:

rtl test signal goes to mixer, goes to another avb unit, comes back to original avb unit, goes to computer. if any kind owner of two avb units I'd be very grateful.

my macbook is 2013, so it's time to upgrade as sooner or later it'll be dropped support, so I'm thinking in getting another avb too!

also, can anyone run their avb motu line at 96K 32 buffer size with a laptop? if yes what model? thank u very much!!!
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-screen-shot-2018-09-24-12.08.14.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search