The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 9th April 2018
  #3451
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I believe the settings are saved to a name one specifies. Perhaps 'unknown' is the default if one does not put in a new name.
It's the browser - Safari doesn't pick up the Preset name when you save it - Chrome (and other Browsers AFAIK) do.
Old 9th April 2018
  #3452
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebjam View Post
Ok, I was able to load the file. so all is good. I have to say the 624 sounds really great! Thanks for the help folks!
hebjam,

I'm glad you got everything sorted out and can now enjoy your 624. I see that you put in a MOTU Tech Link over the weekend. Feel free to get in touch with our support team any time you have any questions. We're here from Mon - Fri, 9am - 6pm EST.
Old 10th April 2018
  #3453
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I'm now stuck with choosing one of the following options:
1) Keep my Tascam DA3000 and buy a MOTU 8A
2) Sell my Tascam DA3000 and buy a MOTU 828ES.

And WTF is the 8D the only MOTU interface with sample rate conversion?
The 1248 has SRC on the RCA SPDIF.

Cheers,

jayson
Old 10th April 2018
  #3454
Gear Nut
 
wilkinsi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanaryProduction View Post
The 1248 has SRC on the RCA SPDIF.

Cheers,

jayson
Bloody hell. I've just seen that on the 1248's spec page. I wish I'd seen that before buying my 112D.
Old 12th April 2018
  #3455
Gear Maniac
 
locojohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Yes, that's exactly the case. I've locked to external optical S/PDIF devices without any issues. There's good front panel confirmation of the current clocking state, providing solid confirmation when setting things up initially.
I received my 828es yesterday and there is something that I don't think is working right. I am running MacOS (10.13.4) here and play music via a TosLink connection. If I set TosLink as clock source and if I send audio at a sample rate other than that specified in MOTU Device Configuration, there is no audio playback at all and the Clock Status icon would be red and blinking indicating sample rate mismatch, but why? Shouldn't 828es switch to incoming sample rate automatically if the clock source is set to external device?! I would think it should be normal behaviour, because all other solutions would mean resampling on either computer side or the interface side, unless I go to MOTU Configuration to change sample rate EACH TIME it's needed (which would be odd – I have many projects and audio files at different sample rates).

Also, if I change clock source to either internal or any other, I am wondering why does it take so long to lock to new clock source! I have a Grace m902B here at hand that would lock to any incoming sample rate from 44.1Khz up to 192Khz instantly.

I believe the same applies to all other AVB interfaces.

Andrejs
Old 16th April 2018
  #3456
Hey guys, thought I'd post some good stuff. My group just a released a new album recorded and mixed entirely with 16As and DP9. I run a hybrid system tracking and mixing through a Toft ATB24 (v.3) and some outboard. Really happy with this set-up. Being super-stable it allowed us to stay and in creative zone. Thanks MOTU!


Cosmic Journey on Spotify

Cosmic Journey on iTunes

Old 16th April 2018
  #3457
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Robby, I’ll have to check the album out! It’s always good to hear when MOTU is working well for people after taking the plunge myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
I received my 828es yesterday and there is something that I don't think is working right ... I am wondering why does it take so long to lock to new clock source! I have a Grace m902B here at hand that would lock to any incoming sample rate from 44.1Khz up to 192Khz instantly.
I was hoping someone with broader experience would chime in, but as far as I’m aware this is normal. It was certainly the case on the only other interface I’ve used extensively. Locking to an external clock may not require knowing the expected ballpark rate but I’m sure it helps, and the lengthy clock sync process is required to get an extremely high precision clock reference that isn’t subject to jitter.

Hopefully someone who has dug deeper into the subject than me would have more to say on the matter.
Old 16th April 2018
  #3458
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Hey guys, thought I'd post some good stuff. My group just a released a new album recorded and mixed entirely with 16As and DP9. ...
Congrats! So how many 16a did you need for this project? Did you link them together with that motu avb technology? Just curious what people do in the real world as I am a hobbyist.
Old 16th April 2018
  #3459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Congrats! So how many 16a did you need for this project? Did you link them together with that motu avb technology? Just curious what people do in the real world as I am a hobbyist.
Thanks Almost a year went into it.
We used 2 16As linked via AVB, connected by Thunderbolt to a nMP. I also run a Bricasti M7 via AES to TOSLink (for printing) and a UA 4710d via ADAT. Everything was recorded at 88.2. I think I'm going to switch to 96k for the next one as that's what my mastering engineer uses and it would be one less SRC.
Old 18th April 2018
  #3460
Gear Addict
 

So why did my 1248 suddenly start crackling like crazy while recording today until I set the buffer to 512? I’ve been running it at 128 for a few weeks with no problems (over Thunderbolt on an MBP), and nothing in my system has changed. Tried restarting the computer, no effect.
Old 20th April 2018
  #3461
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
So why did my 1248 suddenly start crackling like crazy while recording today until I set the buffer to 512? I’ve been running it at 128 for a few weeks with no problems (over Thunderbolt on an MBP), and nothing in my system has changed. Tried restarting the computer, no effect.
My best guess on that is it's NOT likely to be Motu related but something on your OS? Any Windows updates? New drivers or anything - sounds like DPC latency and that's what I'd look into - check using LatencyMon.

It's really frustrating when things start going awry. :(
Old 20th April 2018
  #3462
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
My best guess on that is it's NOT likely to be Motu related but something on your OS? Any Windows updates? New drivers or anything - sounds like DPC latency and that's what I'd look into - check using LatencyMon.

It's really frustrating when things start going awry. :(
Thanks. I'm on a Mac, and today it's magically better. Ugh.
Old 20th April 2018
  #3463
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
Thanks. I'm on a Mac, and today it's magically better. Ugh.
There's nothing more frustrating than unexplained issues. Sorry to hear it, I hope it's a long time before you see the same symptoms again. If ever.
Old 24th April 2018
  #3464
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

I posted this in the 16A thread, but realised it's more-appropriate here 'cause it involves more than the 16A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiguru View Post
One thing i find annoying is that you need to use an ethernet cable to update the firmware.... pretty weird.
I'm about to finally get two 24Ai units and a 16A to run via USB for 64 I/O.

What's the deal with updating the firmware in a situation where 3 units are hooked up to the switch box and then to the 'puter via USB, antiguru? I understand if you don't know 'cause you're running a single interface.

Having to disconnect internet (modem ethernet connection) and buy additional cables that'll reach all 3 units sounds like a right PITA. Quite a lot of plugging / unplugging for every FW update there.
Old 24th April 2018
  #3465
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
What's the deal with updating the firmware in a situation where 3 units are hooked up to the switch box and then to the 'puter via USB, antiguru?
Your best bet is almost certainly to connect the AVB switch to a network that’s routed to the internet. Then all of your AVB interfaces can be accessed from a web browser, they can all download and update their own firmware, etc. Thats how I’m configured at the moment (though with only one AVB interface currently connected to my AVB switch.)

It’s also not entirely true that you have to use Ethernet to update. You can also use USB, you just can’t use Thunderbolt to do the update.
Old 24th April 2018
  #3466
The firmware updates are few and far between now, which is good. It was a real PITA for us early adopters.
Old 26th April 2018
  #3467
Here for the gear
 

Does anyone know how the Analog and Digital Input (ADC) Stages of the Stage B16 and 1248/8M compare? I have Stage-B16 and an 828es for some live work and I'm wondering if I should have gone with an 8M instead? I'm routing output through the 828es for now since it sounds so much better with the SABRE DAC implementation but I needed more than two Mic inputs.
Old 27th April 2018
  #3468
Lives for gear
Just out of curiosty, what are people getting latency wise for the 1248 over USB / Windows?

I need to upgrade the FW on mine as I had quite a few issues with it (which MOTU was very helpful with), but also contemplating a PCI-E card / ADAT for tracking.
Old 1st May 2018
  #3469
Lives for gear
Nobody?
Old 1st May 2018
  #3470
Gear Maniac
 
locojohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Nobody?
Not sure about 1248, but I can set 64 samples buffer for 828es on my 2017 iMac for lighter projects and it would work fine. For heavier projects 128 samples is a reliable setting I find. Note: I work at 48 kHz.

I think 1248 should be having similar performance, but then again I am not sure.

Andrejs
Old 1st May 2018
  #3471
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
Not sure about 1248, but I can set 64 samples buffer for 828es on my 2017 iMac for lighter projects and it would work fine. For heavier projects 128 samples is a reliable setting I find. Note: I work at 48 kHz.

I think 1248 should be having similar performance, but then again I am not sure.

Andrejs
Thanks, do you know roughly what sort of RTL are you getting?

Last edited by ShadowAMD; 1st May 2018 at 11:03 PM..
Old 2nd May 2018
  #3472
Here for the gear
 

I can do tracking with just 32 sample buffer with my 828es/USB/Windows 10. This gives about 3-4 ms latency, with Superior 3 and 5-10 plugins running, although I have not specifically measured it. In mixing I use 128 sample buffer, and the latency is not too beg then either.
Old 2nd May 2018
  #3473
Lives for gear
 

My 16a as Wordclock master has been giving me issues since the last firmware update.

I have a Steinberg/Yamaha MR816 connected to add an additional 8 I/O's/preamps via ADAT. Cabling and termination is fine. It just started dropping the MR816 occasionally and then it dropped and never came back. I switched the MR816 as the WClk master and slaved the 16a and it's been rock solid since.

Could it be the 16a hardware is failing or something to do with the last firmware? Anyone else running other devices via ADAT having issues?
Old 2nd May 2018
  #3474
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoltron View Post
I can do tracking with just 32 sample buffer with my 828es/USB/Windows 10. This gives about 3-4 ms latency, with Superior 3 and 5-10 plugins running, although I have not specifically measured it. In mixing I use 128 sample buffer, and the latency is not too beg then either.
Awesome thanks, it could be my PC (well laptop) giving me gip.. It's a relatively powerful 4 core I7 4810MQ, 32GB / M.2 so I'd of thought it'd be fine but I remember my old build (5820K / 32GB / SSD) seemed to deal with latency better??

Anywho, I've built a new dedicated chassis so I'll test that with the MOTU and hold off on the RME as a front end for now.
Old 6th May 2018
  #3475
Lives for gear
 
TornadoTed's Avatar
I have an 8A and was thinking of adding another 8A to double my i/o but have a few dumb questions!

I take it I just run a CAT5 or 6 cable between them and that is the only connection required?

Is there a maximum length of cable I can run between units?

I currently have a Cat5 cable from my Mac to the 8A to control the mixer from my Mac but there is only 1 port. If I link a pair of 8A's together how do I control the mixer from my Mac?
Old 6th May 2018
  #3476
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
I have an 8A and was thinking of adding another 8A to double my i/o but have a few dumb questions!

I take it I just run a CAT5 or 6 cable between them and that is the only connection required?

Is there a maximum length of cable I can run between units?

I currently have a Cat5 cable from my Mac to the 8A to control the mixer from my Mac but there is only 1 port. If I link a pair of 8A's together how do I control the mixer from my Mac?
for the people with knowledge about connecting two Motu avb interface, can you Kindly share the latency u are getting connecting them with CAT5 or 6 cables and then connecting one unit with thunderbolt to the computer?

I will also add that recently I found out that I can route the headphone outputs as separate outputs (and stereo!!), so the Motu 1248 has some really impressive input output options!!. loving the unit more and more!
Old 6th May 2018
  #3477
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
I have an 8A and was thinking of adding another 8A to double my i/o but have a few dumb questions!

I take it I just run a CAT5 or 6 cable between them and that is the only connection required?
The cable should be CAT5e or CAT6, but otherwise that's correct.

Quote:
Is there a maximum length of cable I can run between units?
Yes, but I doubt it'll be an issue for you. Individual cable runs can be 100 meters, and you can extend that with AVB-aware switches.

Quote:
I currently have a Cat5 cable from my Mac to the 8A to control the mixer from my Mac but there is only 1 port. If I link a pair of 8A's together how do I control the mixer from my Mac?
If you're connected via Thunderbolt or USB then that works. If you still want to access this functionality from a network, or you want to add a third interface, you'll need an AVB switch (MOTU makes one but any AVB aware switch should work.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
for the people with knowledge about connecting two Motu avb interface, can you Kindly share the latency u are getting connecting them with CAT5 or 6 cables and then connecting one unit with thunderbolt to the computer?
While I'm familiar with how the network topology works, I don't yet have a second interface to test with. Sorry!
Old 6th May 2018
  #3478
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
So, anybody aware of avb compliant switches that are not made by motu, and cheaper than the motu ones? I tried finding nics that were avb aware until I discovered there were no windows drivers to support that. Well, last time I checked anyway. So, avb not on my menu, but the usb for my 1248 meets my needs.
Old 6th May 2018
  #3479
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
So, anybody aware of avb compliant switches that are not made by motu, and cheaper than the motu ones? I tried finding nics that were avb aware until I discovered there were no windows drivers to support that. Well, last time I checked anyway. So, avb not on my menu, but the usb for my 1248 meets my needs.
No, but you only need an AVB switch if you're using more than two interfaces.. You can just connect your two interfaces via a CAT5 / CAT6 ethernet cable.

It's one of the reasons I bought the 1248 because I wanted to pair it with a 24AO on windows..
Old 6th May 2018
  #3480
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
No, but you only need an AVB switch if you're using more than two interfaces.. You can just connect your two interfaces via a CAT5 / CAT6 ethernet cable.

It's one of the reasons I bought the 1248 because I wanted to pair it with a 24AO on windows..
how much of added latency are u getting when u connect the 2nd avb unit through CAT5/CAT6 cable? are u running it stable? how do you like it?

Currently I'm using a Motu 1248 and a Motu 828X via 2 thunderbolt ports. I'm considering replacing my 828x for another 1248, to use only 1 thunderbolt port and connect them via CAT5/CAT6.

if other users can share experience I would be very grateful. thanks!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump