The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
I have a DA3000 and a MOTU AVB setup, not sure why you'd get rid of the DA3000? I'm much happier recording monitor outs into the DA3000 and not needing a computer.

If the MOTU interfaces had the ability to write to an SDCard I'd be in heaven and sell my DA3000
I record into Digital Performer 9. I thought that with the 828ES already sporting XLR main outs, I would no longer need the DA3000 to feed my Genelec Monitors, nor would I have to send SPDIF or AES from the 8D to the DA3000. I was really hoping the 828ES would also have sample rate conversion on its digital inputs, so that I could connect my Line 6 Helix Floor via SPDIF COAX and sell off my 8D, dammit. Effectively, I would be streamlining from owning a 112D, 8D and DA3000 down to just the 828ES, and freeing up more cash for other gear (such as a more powerful Macbook Pro?).

On the other hand, if I were to keep the DA3000, then it would make sense to buy the 8A.

I think my question should really be whether the 828ES will sound as good as the DA3000.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I was really hoping the 828ES would also have sample rate conversion on its digital inputs, so that I could connect my Line 6 Helix Floor via SPDIF COAX and sell off my 8D, dammit.
Why should it do sample rate conversion? I'd find it more appropriate if it phase-locked to incoming clock without resampling, unless its operational sample rate is lower than the incoming sample rate. Actually, I am wondering how does it process digital signals from its input internally. What is the operational sample rate at which MOTU hardware operates internally? Is it 48 Khz?

Andrejs
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I think my question should really be whether the 828ES will sound as good as the DA3000.
I'm not aware of anyone who has directly compared the two, but the D/A conversion in the 828es is remarkably good IMHO. The "es" suffix is a reference to the Sabre32 ESS DAC which was a point of emphasis in promoting the latest revision of the 828 line.

I'm certainly ecstatic about the quality of the main monitor outs in my use. The main reason for keeping the DA3000 around would be DSD AD/DA or direct recording as suggested above. If neither is a primary use case for you, it might be worth getting the 828es and doing an evaluation before committing to get rid of the DA3000. If you're not satisfied, you can presumably return it and get the 8A instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
What is the operational sample rate at which MOTU hardware operates internally? Is it 48 Khz?
It's adjustable to any of 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz and can either be clocked internally or synced to an external device through word clock input, optical, coaxial S/PDIF, or SMPTE. Higher clock rates use more DSP resources, and the two highest disable the built-in EQ / compression / reverb / etc.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Why should it do sample rate conversion? I'd find it more appropriate if it phase-locked to incoming clock without resampling, unless its operational sample rate is lower than the incoming sample rate. Actually, I am wondering how does it process digital signals from its input internally. What is the operational sample rate at which MOTU hardware operates internally? Is it 48 Khz?

Andrejs
Because the L6 Helix Floor cannot clock to an external source (the Helix Rack can, the Helix Floor cannot) and a sample rate converter built into the 8D fixes that. I wouldn't want the Helix to serve as the master clock when I have an Apogee Big Ben, which, in its very nature and intent, is a more stable clock source anyway.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
It's adjustable to any of 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz and can either be clocked internally or synced to an external device through word clock input, optical, coaxial S/PDIF, or SMPTE
Thank you, Lady Gaia. Does it possibly mean that if the option to sync to external device via S/PDIF is enabled, the incoming sample rate is effectively the operational sampling rate within MOTU hardware?

Andrejs
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you, Lady Gaia. Does it possibly mean that if the option to sync to external device via S/PDIF is enabled, the incoming sample rate is effectively the operational sampling rate within MOTU hardware?
Yes, that's exactly the case. I've locked to external optical S/PDIF devices without any issues. There's good front panel confirmation of the current clocking state, providing solid confirmation when setting things up initially.

I have also been pleasantly surprised to find that when not locked to an external clock it seems to deal much more gracefully with slight discrepancies than anything else I've used. Not that I'd ever want to count on it in a recording context, but it has saved me from needing to change clocking in casual use. The sample rates just had to match. Any other time I've accidentally forgotten to properly clock another device I'd get overt dropouts with audible clicks periodically. I'm not sure what the deal is here. Maybe I've just discovered an external source that happens to be extraordinarily close to the 828es' own clock.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac
I have a bit of a weird setup, with a 24ai and a UFX+ connected with two ADAT connections. MOTU recently increased the number of channels that can be used over USB but I hit a problem with my 2014 5K iMac which ended up being due to the ports not supporting Multi TT usb and a couple of ports on the iMac being on an internal hub.

I was starting to hit performance limits with FX and VSTi's so I took the plunge and built a windows CueBase rig. I have the iMac attached to the UFX+, and the PC hooked up to the 24Ai with 48 ports to and from the computer. I am set up in mix mode for Live, and route all of the inputs from the UFX+ over ADAT to the 24Ai for inserts etc... and my monitors are running off the UFX+

Anyway this is a crazy setup, but it is working great and is very stable. But if you have anything like a Lexicon MX400 that is USB 1.x and you don't have multi TT USB ports and hubs on the entire chain it will cause you pain.

This isn't MOTUs fault, and one of these days I will probably swap out the UFX when I run out of sends or inputs. To be honest I think Dante has won in the Ethernet world, but I am pretty happy with MOTU when working OTB which isn't an option with most of the other options.
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Well if someone wants to dip in the DANTE world, i am selling my Focusrite Rednet 3. Always a rock.

I am moving back to AVB (motu 112D) because with my new converters I need 2 ports of AES3 (plus a few ADAT).
Old 29th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly the case. I've locked to external optical S/PDIF devices without any issues. There's good front panel confirmation of the current clocking state, providing solid confirmation when setting things up initially.

I have also been pleasantly surprised to find that when not locked to an external clock it seems to deal much more gracefully with slight discrepancies than anything else I've used.
Thanks again! Yeah, it means it was properly designed in this regard.

After all my research for a new audio interface I am leaning towards 828es. I was looking at Presonus Quantum before, but 828es seems to bring more options for the money and also looks better. And it appears to sound really well too.

Andrejs
Old 30th March 2018
Gear Addict

I'm still wavering between the 1248 vs adding the 8A to my Audient iD22.

How is the monitor control on the 1248? I don't see any handy switching buttons like on the iD22. Is it just that both monitor/main output sets are always on, but raised/muted using the volume knobs on the left? Is it easy to permanently set one to mono in the software (I use a single Mixcube as a secondary speaker)?

I REALLY like the simplicity of having everything in one unit (1248), but it's not cheap, and I'm going to take a bit of a loss on my iD22 since the new price dropped. But in the end, I care more about the workflow and ease of use than the money. Just got to explore the details in order to convince myself .
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Got my 1248 used off reverb. No regrets.
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Got my 1248 used off reverb. No regrets.
Just did the same thing
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
Just did the same thing
I only use two channels in and out, so at first I got the ultralite avb--new, and I liked it a lot, so I figured the 1248 had even better specs so I got that one and sold the ultralite--reverb I think. I think it sounds a bit better--and my general sense is that larger units have better power supplies and all around improved quality as they don't have to cut corners as much. Lots of unused channels, but room to grow, perhaps. I created a shelf on my desk about three inches tall on my desk that the monitors sit on. Under them is the 1248 on one side and a great river mp2nv on the other.

I really like the sound of it--perhaps liquid is the word I would use. I have gone thru a lot of converters over the last 30 years, and this is one of my favorites. The thing I really like is that I use the build in equalizer to trim off some of the highest frequencies which irritate my ears. I don't think digital can handle them very well--snare and cymbal crashes.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I only use two channels in and out, so at first I got the ultralite avb--new, and I liked it a lot, so I figured the 1248 had even better specs so I got that one and sold the ultralite--reverb I think. I think it sounds a bit better--and my general sense is that larger units have better power supplies and all around improved quality as they don't have to cut corners as much. Lots of unused channels, but room to grow, perhaps. I created a shelf on my desk about three inches tall on my desk that the monitors sit on. Under them is the 1248 on one side and a great river mp2nv on the other.

I really like the sound of it--perhaps liquid is the word I would use. I have gone thru a lot of converters over the last 30 years, and this is one of my favorites. The thing I really like is that I use the build in equalizer to trim off some of the highest frequencies which irritate my ears. I don't think digital can handle them very well--snare and cymbal crashes.
I need all of the outputs for a summing mixer, plus additional monitor output for my mains plus Mixcube. There are shockingly few interfaces in the market that provide enough outs in one box. I will also probably only use two inputs, though . For now...

Do you know if there is an easy button in the software to set the second monitor set to mono? I'd like to just connect my single Mixcube to one without having to click mono in the DAW every time. One of the things I like about my ID22, but I'd rather not deal with two interfaces.
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are shockingly few interfaces in the market that provide enough outs in one box.
We have an amazing variety of different needs, don't we? Manufacturers are pretty much stuck making gear that has outputs some won't need, inputs that others won't use, too few or too many pre-amps, etc. There's just no practical way to make a design-your-own interface where you can substitute inputs for outputs or vice-versa.

Quote:
Do you know if there is an easy button in the software to set the second monitor set to mono?
The 828es has a mono toggle on the front panel and in software that collapses both the A/B outputs to mono, but it doesn't look like the 1248 has an explicit equivalent concept. At least nothing that shows in the manual currently available.

It shouldn't be a problem, though, as the routing matrix is incredibly flexible. You might have to devote an Aux or Group bus to the task, but summing the two monitor channels to a single output should certainly be do-able.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
We have an amazing variety of different needs, don't we? Manufacturers are pretty much stuck making gear that has outputs some won't need, inputs that others won't use, too few or too many pre-amps, etc. There's just no practical way to make a design-your-own interface where you can substitute inputs for outputs or vice-versa.

The 828es has a mono toggle on the front panel and in software that collapses both the A/B outputs to mono, but it doesn't look like the 1248 has an explicit equivalent concept. At least nothing that shows in the manual currently available.

It shouldn't be a problem, though, as the routing matrix is incredibly flexible. You might have to devote an Aux or Group bus to the task, but summing the two monitor channels to a single output should certainly be do-able.
You're definitely right about different needs, but given the popularity of summing mixers and outboard gear, the interface landscape seems a little skewed in favor of ITB-optimized units with fewer outputs. You have to spend quite a bit to get a generous amount of outputs. Under $1500, I really only came across the 1248 and Antelope Zen Tour that allow 8 channels of output with two sets additional for multiple monitors. I'm pretty happy to have found a good deal on the 1248. I've yet to read a bad review, and it's been around for a while. The Zen has some issues, apparently. Now I just have to wait until it gets here...
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Addict

Got my 1248 hooked up, and played around with the routing matrix for a while. It was fairly straightforward to get sound in and out of Logic, but i must arm a track in order to monitor input. What is the quickest and easiest way to set up direct monitoring while still keeping the DAW output (ch1/2) sent to the mains?
Old 5th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got my 1248 hooked up, and played around with the routing matrix for a while. It was fairly straightforward to get sound in and out of Logic, but i must arm a track in order to monitor input. What is the quickest and easiest way to set up direct monitoring while still keeping the DAW output (ch1/2) sent to the mains?
Quickest way, but it does have some latency:
Logic Pro X: Turn on input monitoring for audio tracks

Alternatively use the MOTU AVB mixer.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Use the avb mixer, you can send anything to the main outputs (there is a small horizontal fader beneath the vertical fader)
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks. I think I got it now. I sent the From Computer 1+2 to the mixer, along with the 8 analog inputs and routed the main l/r to main l/r.

I also set the Monitor out to Aux1/2, and in the Aux mixer, panned everything hard left for using my Mixcube in mono.

Let me know if I screwed anything up! Seems to be working so far.
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I just got the 624 and am recording to an iPhone. I am trying to get a simple setup: 4 line ins coming from outboard mic preamps, AND the two internal mic preamps. I can't seem to get audio from the built in mic preamps to show in my iPhone app(Multitrack daw). I can't understand the routing matrix. Can anyone lay this out for me? I don't need the Motu mixer or fx or any of that!
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebjam View Post
I just got the 624 and am recording to an iPhone. I am trying to get a simple setup: 4 line ins coming from outboard mic preamps, AND the two internal mic preamps. I can't seem to get audio from the built in mic preamps to show in my iPhone app(Multitrack daw). I can't understand the routing matrix. Can anyone lay this out for me? I don't need the Motu mixer or fx or any of that!
I would recommend starting with the Interface preset in the MOTU app device page. From there, you may need to adjust routing for your specific DAW. It took me a while to get my head around it, but eventually it all clicks.

Keep in mind, if you want to do any kind of direct monitoring, you will need to set up the mixer. Otherwise, you will need to use a DAW that supports software monitoring (with latency). I've used Multitrack DAW before, and I *think* it would work, but it's been a while.

MOTU has a series of videos on Youtube that explain the routing thing pretty well.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Ok, well I managed to get this working today. All inputs were working fine. BUT! Now the unit WILL NOT BE RECOGNIZED. All I get is the message ' Could not communicate with device'. I have re-installed drivers, changed USB cable, USB port. Re-booted multiple times.... nothing. Is anyone from MOTU here? This seriously sucks.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now the unit WILL NOT BE RECOGNIZED.
It would help to specify what operating system you’re using on what hardware. While there is a MOTU employee here pretty regularly, I think it’s safe to assume they’re not working weekends. It’s possible someone here will have more insight or at least some diagnostic suggestions.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi, and thanks. I'm on Mac OS 10.11. I am using the 624 to record mostly to my iPhone though. Finally figured out the routing matrix today and got it working. But after plugging it back into the Mac, it won't recognize the unit. I am trying to reset the unit now... thanks for the help!
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi, and thanks. I'm on Mac OS 10.11. I am using the 624 to record mostly to my iPhone though. Finally figured out the routing matrix today and got it working. But after plugging it back into the Mac, it won't recognize the unit. I am trying to reset the unit now... thanks for the help!
Definitely email MOTU support if it doesn't fix itself. It's probably just some stupid little detail.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I did a factory reset and it worked. But I lost the preset i had worked on all day. When I export a preset it saves a file called 'unknown'. Is this normal?
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I did a factory reset and it worked. But I lost the preset i had worked on all day. When I export a preset it saves a file called 'unknown'. Is this normal?
Did you try loading that file back in?
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

I believe the settings are saved to a name one specifies. Perhaps 'unknown' is the default if one does not put in a new name. I have been able to load saved presets--but I got my current configuration to save as the default so it survives power cycles--I think. I only re-boot my 1248 every few months. Also, each page has its own settings to save, and maybe more than one on a given page, so keep that in mind.

Yes, a motu employee keeps an eye on this and helped me in one situation, but I think its most polite to submit a ticket to motu rather than relying on him doing support in his spare time.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Ok, I was able to load the file. so all is good. I have to say the 624 sounds really great! Thanks for the help folks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search