The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 18th March 2018
There is a new Beta Firmware (March 9, 2018) for the Touch interface.
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus View Post
So there is, thanks! And I thought I had checked not too long ago. My 828es is now on the latest, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the (undocumented?) changes they've made work in practice.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear
Been spending way more time with my setup over last few weeks after getting my garage converted into a control room, and hitting a few wee issues with presets which may well be my own issue, but thought I'd see if other folks can confirm...

1) Mixer channel visibility - this does not appear to be saved in ANY preset, at least for input sources routed to the mixer. This is the biggest issue for me, as I wanted to have some different mixer presets that give me only the channels I want to see visible on the mixer - and this is very different for Full Band tracking vs Drum tracking vs Vocal tracking. Seems like quite a fundamental omission, although I can work around it, it kind of defeats the purpose of having presets from the mixer tab IMO.

What is strange tho is that the DAW Return channels, effectively outputs do seem to be saving their visibility, and output channel visibility is also saved.

2) Pan not saved on AUX presets - this one I appreciate that Pan was only added to Aux after an update so might just be an oversight. Similar to mixer, the visibility of which channels are selected is also not saved.

3) Renaming of mixer channels - this appears to only be saved in the Device preset, which counter-intuitively is the only place you can't edit them. My assumption was the names of mixer channels would be saved in the Routing presets but this is not the case. The renaming of daw returns is especially annoying as it messes with the Cubase port names and projects don't find certain connections after a rename, so knowing where these are stored in presets would be nice to know.

Anyone got any insight into any of these these guys?
Old 20th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
1) Mixer channel visibility - this does not appear to be saved in ANY preset, at least for input sources routed to the mixer.
My experience as well. Would love to see channel visibility saved with presets, too, or "visibility presets" that are stored independently.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
My experience as well. Would love to see channel visibility saved with presets, too, or "visibility presets" that are stored independently.
Glad it's not just me - I've raised a ticket with Motu for these and will feedback any responses.

Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I am running a Digital Performer session and try to play an audio file in Mail or iTunes, the audio engine in DP shuts down and I have to restart it. This only occurs if I open iTunes or Mail AFTER the DP session is running. If iTunes/Mail are running in advance, no issues. Either way, the audio engine is easily restarted.
I'm also getting this issue on OSX (except my DAW is Ableton Live). Latest beta still hasn't fixed it. No other problems at all.

@Travisvictor Can get this fixed please?
Old 21st March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
Glad it's not just me - I've raised a ticket with Motu for these and will feedback any responses.

I submitted a suggestion, too. Thanks!
Old 25th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
I'm also getting this issue on OSX (except my DAW is Ableton Live). Latest beta still hasn't fixed it. No other problems at all.

@Travisvictor Can get this fixed please?
Same problem here. Also use Ableton Live. This has happened ever since I upgraded to 10.11 and only with the motu AVB-interfaces I own. For me this happens with almost every app that plays audio (spotify, youtube, mail, etc.). If I have a running session in ableton and then play audio in another app, the audio engine of ableton shuts down or ableton freezes totally. A restart of abletons audio engine fixes the issue, but it's annoying anyway, especially when Ableton freezes altogether...
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Addict

This is a long thread, so I apologize if this has been covered. I’m looking for an interface with at least 8 outs, two sets of monitor outs, and bypassable preamps. I won’t be using any fancy AVB stuff, and I’m on a Macbook Pro, so Thunderbolt is ok.

I’m looking at the 1248, as it ticks all of the boxes. How is the conversion quality, though? I’m currently using an Audient ID22, so I’m looking for same or better. I will not be using the onboard preamps.

Any reason NOT to go for the 1248?
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Not that I can think of, Disco.

As far as conversion quality is concerned, from everything I've read including here in this thread, it's stellar, impeccable and beyond reproach. In fact, it appears to be by far the best bang-for-buck conversion quality available by white a margin.
Old 26th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
This is a long thread, so I apologize if this has been covered. I’m looking for an interface with at least 8 outs, two sets of monitor outs, and bypassable preamps. I won’t be using any fancy AVB stuff, and I’m on a Macbook Pro, so Thunderbolt is ok.

I’m looking at the 1248, as it ticks all of the boxes. How is the conversion quality, though? I’m currently using an Audient ID22, so I’m looking for same or better. I will not be using the onboard preamps.

Any reason NOT to go for the 1248?
I have a 1248 I'm currently running through it's paces, and comparing to my Apollo 8 MKII. So far it's cool. I'd say getting used to the Motu software is the first step. I'd say only thing I've noticed is the HP out's arn't quite as beefy. Knobs on front panel are a lil small. But all in all, it's an extremely feature and IO rich machine. Conversion is great...
Old 26th March 2018
Anyone here using the 1248 ( or any Motu AVB with TB ) on a Mac with Studio One 3? I have it hooked up right now and am getting 1.9ms latency ( for both out and in ), however when I open the Pipeline plugin for routing IO to hardware, I'm still having to adjust the sample latency by about 50 samples? At 3.8ms RTL I should only be adjusting by 1 or 2 samples, as that's how my Apollo works... Also, I had the 16a a while ago and that worked great too, so I'm led to believe there is a setting I'm not seeing perhaps? thanks!
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
Same problem here. Also use Ableton Live. This has happened ever since I upgraded to 10.11 and only with the motu AVB-interfaces I own. For me this happens with almost every app that plays audio (spotify, youtube, mail, etc.). If I have a running session in ableton and then play audio in another app, the audio engine of ableton shuts down or ableton freezes totally. A restart of abletons audio engine fixes the issue, but it's annoying anyway, especially when Ableton freezes altogether...
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to jump in here and let you all know that this issue has been reproduced here in house and is currently being looked into. As usual, keep an eye on our downloads page for future driver/firmware updates.

MOTU.com/download
Old 26th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to jump in here and let you all know that this issue has been reproduced here in house and is currently being looked into. As usual, keep an eye on our downloads page for future driver/firmware updates.

MOTU.com/download
Thanks for the update, that's good to hear!
Cheers
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
I have a 1248 I'm currently running through it's paces, and comparing to my Apollo 8 MKII. So far it's cool. I'd say getting used to the Motu software is the first step. I'd say only thing I've noticed is the HP out's arn't quite as beefy. Knobs on front panel are a lil small. But all in all, it's an extremely feature and IO rich machine. Conversion is great...
That’s good to hear! I have a Schiit Fulla hp amp I could try to rig to drive my K7xx phones. Kind of cumbersome.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Addict

Is the conversion on the 8A as good as the 16A? I’m wondering if it might make sense for me to buy that and then keep my Audient id22 as a monitor controller/hp amp via adat. I’ve never set anything like that up, so is it too complicated to route my main outs through adat in Logic, keeping the 8A as the master device? The id22 is a very friendly controller, but I need more outs for summing.

Also, on either the 8A or 16A, where’s the volume?
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is the conversion on the 8A as good as the 16A? I’m wondering if it might make sense for me to buy that and then keep my Audient id22 as a monitor controller/hp amp via adat. I’ve never set anything like that up, so is it too complicated to route my main outs through adat in Logic, keeping the 8A as the master device? The id22 is a very friendly controller, but I need more outs for summing.

Also, on either the 8A or 16A, where’s the volume?
I wondered if the 16A might be a good fit, but it appears to be primarily intended to act as part of a larger system. It doesn’t have dedicated monitor outputs or front panel controls for same. You could, however, use any pair of outputs you desired to drive monitors. Levels and mixing would be controlled from the web UI like the rest of the routing and mixing.

I think most people would opt to have one of the more conventional interfaces such as the 828es or 1248 as their primary and expand with the likes of the 16A, 8A, 24Ao or AI, etc. Even so, there’s nothing saying you have to be conventional! I’ve seriously debated adding a second 828es to my setup.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I wondered if the 16A might be a good fit, but it appears to be primarily intended to act as part of a larger system. It doesn’t have dedicated monitor outputs or front panel controls for same. You could, however, use any pair of outputs you desired to drive monitors. Levels and mixing would be controlled from the web UI like the rest of the routing and mixing.

I think most people would opt to have one of the more conventional interfaces such as the 828es or 1248 as their primary and expand with the likes of the 16A, 8A, 24Ao or AI, etc. Even so, there’s nothing saying you have to be conventional! I’ve seriously debated adding a second 828es to my setup.
Thanks! The 1248 seems to be a perfect feature set for me, but the weak headphone amp creates a problem. I rely on my headphones pretty heavily at night and when “zooming in”. Going with the 8A and keeping my id22 gives me more features for less money, but if it’s too complex to the send the main outs to adat, then I’d forget about it.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! The 1248 seems to be a perfect feature set for me, but the weak headphone amp creates a problem.
Weak is relative, certainly. It might be worth trying to quantify further. My Sennheiser HD600's have a reputation for needing a hefty headphone amp, but the 828es has no trouble driving them at any volume I'd ever need.

Quote:
I rely on my headphones pretty heavily at night and when “zooming in”. Going with the 8A and keeping my id22 gives me more features for less money, but if it’s too complex to the send the main outs to adat, then I’d forget about it.
Routing a variety of mixes to any supported outputs is pretty straightforward, once you understand how the routing matrix works. Getting a mix to ADAT out shouldn't be a problem, nor would simply sending every individual input without mixing them down first.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Weak is relative, certainly. It might be worth trying to quantify further. My Sennheiser HD600's have a reputation for needing a hefty headphone amp, but the 828es has no trouble driving them at any volume I'd ever need.

Routing a variety of mixes to any supported outputs is pretty straightforward, once you understand how the routing matrix works. Getting a mix to ADAT out shouldn't be a problem, nor would simply sending every individual input without mixing them down first.
Thanks again! I’m really interested in this 8A now, as I was originally planning to spend a bit more on a Zen Tour or 1248. The Zen has too many problems reported here on GS, so the 1248 was the next choice. But if the 8A has the same converter quality, and can be routed the way I need, then today is a good day.

Just to beat a dead horse a bit - are any of the outputs on the 8A “reserved” or locked into Logic’s main outs? If so, it won’t work. i need to be able to use all 8 outputs for individual tracks and set the main output to adat only.
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Is the conversion on the 8A as good as the 16A?
Yes, same convertors - just half the number.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Concerning AD/DA, I just found this interesting comparison between a Motu 828es, RME UFX II and a Focusrite Scarlett on youtube:

YouTube

I guess the whole AVB lineup uses the same or at least very similar AD/DA converters. I think the motu and the rme definitely go lower in the bass department then the scarlett, which translates into a fuller sound. In the whole mix, the RME seems to have a wider stereo image, which you can hear in the panned guitars. While this may be because of better AD/DA conversion, I actually almost prefer the narrower stereo image of the Motu in this specific(!) mix, which presents the guitars with a bit more presence in the lower midrange. With a 1db Side-EQ boost in the 200hz range, the Motu one sounded almost identical to the RME. For half the price the Motu certainly plays in the same league as the RME, but the RME seems to have an edge on these last 1-2%. Do with that what you will. In the end I don't think any of that is relevant anyways. Its the music that counts and grammy recordings can be made on the scarlett, while garbage can be produced on the RME. I'm very happy with my 8M mostly because of the insane flexibility it offers.

Last edited by kirky; 27th March 2018 at 12:14 PM..
Old 27th March 2018
Quote:
but the weak headphone amp creates a problem.
Hello, if that comment was from what I said earlier, then I didn't come across correctly. I don't think it' weak. Initially I thought I had to turn up the output more than my Apollo, but I was listening to some new source material.

I tracked some guitars yesterday and it def worked fine. I've only had it for 2 days but I unhooked my Apollo and am going to use it for a couple weeks.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just to beat a dead horse a bit - are any of the outputs on the 8A “reserved” or locked into Logic’s main outs? If so, it won’t work. i need to be able to use all 8 outputs for individual tracks and set the main output to adat only.
Essentially nothing is reserved or locked into a particular use on the 828es. I'd be absolutely shocked if it were different on the 8A or 16A, but I don't actually have either to confirm for you with that exact piece of gear. Even so, I think you're 100% safe once you learn how the routing matrix works.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Everything is routable everywhere and nowhere. The routing matrix is extremely powerful and you will easily be able to route what you describe here. No outputs are "reserved" or fixed.
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
thanks HCMarkus for your insights... i have decided to take the risk and go into the AVB world again... as it will be the 112D, i expect to be able to set everything up without the need for an aggregate device, maybe that improves the stability.

I had a really tough time combining Motu 24AO with the rest of the system - but in all fairness, i think that the sound quality was good, specially when clocked externally to a good clock source... 96 kHz kicked ass.

My experience with Dante in terms of stability could not be better though, a rock in the few months i have been on it.
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Hello, if that comment was from what I said earlier, then I didn't come across correctly. I don't think it' weak. Initially I thought I had to turn up the output more than my Apollo, but I was listening to some new source material.

I tracked some guitars yesterday and it def worked fine. I've only had it for 2 days but I unhooked my Apollo and am going to use it for a couple weeks.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Essentially nothing is reserved or locked into a particular use on the 828es. I'd be absolutely shocked if it were different on the 8A or 16A, but I don't actually have either to confirm for you with that exact piece of gear. Even so, I think you're 100% safe once you learn how the routing matrix works.
Thanks! MOTU support emailed me back quickly confirming that it will work fine.
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Nut

I'm now stuck with choosing one of the following options:
1) Keep my Tascam DA3000 and buy a MOTU 8A
2) Sell my Tascam DA3000 and buy a MOTU 828ES.

And WTF is the 8D the only MOTU interface with sample rate conversion?

Last edited by wilkinsi; 29th March 2018 at 12:40 AM..
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I'm now stuck with choosing one of the following options:
1) Keep my Tascam DA3000 and buy a MOTU 8A
2) Sell my Tascam DA3000 and a MOTU 828ES.

And WTF is the 8D the only MOTU interface with sample rate conversion?
I have a DA3000 and a MOTU AVB setup, not sure why you'd get rid of the DA3000? I'm much happier recording monitor outs into the DA3000 and not needing a computer.

If the MOTU interfaces had the ability to write to an SDCard I'd be in heaven and sell my DA3000

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search