The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Head
Anyone with a Motu 16A who remembers if the unit comes with both a TB2 cable and a USB 2.0 cables included? or do I need to buy these separately ?

Cheers
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Addict

Mine came only with the USB 2.0 cable.
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
Mine came only with the USB 2.0 cable.
ok thx. ill buy a tb2 cable then.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Hey Motu 16a users, unless you have other interface hooked up, what are you using to control headphones and monitors?

I may be using the 16a as the master, so if I have another interface hooked up via adat I'm not sure if I could use the headphones out as part of the adat channels?

But if your just using the 16a, I'd like to send 2 channels to a controller that would give me 2 headphone outs with independent gain knobs ( i realize the mix would be the same ) and a set of outs to connect to active monitors, with its own attenuator controls. If theres an option for 2 sets of monitors with A/B switch that's cool too.

thanks in advance!
I use a Drawmer MC2.1, and like it quite a bit. It has the features you describe and more; I find the phase reverse, L/R cut, and mono functions to be particularly helpful.

Drawmer Electronics - MC2.1 Monitor Controller
Old 23rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
I use a Drawmer MC2.1, and like it quite a bit. It has the features you describe and more; I find the phase reverse, L/R cut, and mono functions to be particularly helpful.

Hey thanks! that one does look pretty perfect actually...
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Installed latest drivers, but noticed firmware hasn't changed in a long time. I'm beginning to lose faith in my setup, and I feel like I have a fairly standard config (Win10, AVB Hub, 16A x 2, 1248, 24Ai, no USB/TB, all Ethernet). My computer STILL doesn't find any of the units via Discovery, and Discovery crashes _every time_ I run it. I just get used to running it twice these days.

Intermittently units will just drop off, or they'll no longer transmit labels for attached devices, and I have to powercycle.

Anyone else having similar headaches?

Unfortunately the only other system that has this flexibility with this number of in/out is an A&H dLive + CDM48, which is probably 3x the price of my current configuration.
Old 23rd November 2017
New Song - 16A

I have had my 16A since they were first released...it just hums along each day doing what it should.

Here is my latest tune, using the 16A

Now keep in mind, what you are listening to, has had 3 trips into and out of the AD DA of the MOTU, and one at the mastering place....(capture, out to hardware, mix buss, and master)

I also track and mix at 48Khz...

and.... you are listening after it goes to you tube....

great great box.

Cheers

Wiz
Old 24th November 2017
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Installed latest drivers, but noticed firmware hasn't changed in a long time. I'm beginning to lose faith in my setup, and I feel like I have a fairly standard config (Win10, AVB Hub, 16A x 2, 1248, 24Ai, no USB/TB, all Ethernet). My computer STILL doesn't find any of the units via Discovery, and Discovery crashes _every time_ I run it. I just get used to running it twice these days.

Intermittently units will just drop off, or they'll no longer transmit labels for attached devices, and I have to powercycle.

Anyone else having similar headaches?

Unfortunately the only other system that has this flexibility with this number of in/out is an A&H dLive + CDM48, which is probably 3x the price of my current configuration.
regarding the discovery app: just don't use it.
check the network adresses of all your units and make bookmarks for them in your browser. then open the controlsurfaces (web apps) of the different units directly in your browser from the bookmarks.

are units sometimes completely dropping audio while playing? or is it just that you can't access the controlsurfaces of them via browser?
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Units sometimes just disappear entirely, but in weird ways, for example I will browse to my 1248 and it won’t see my 24ai at all...but my 24ai will see the 1248.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Another irritation is that sometimes a mixer screen will be frozen. Have to refresh or go to different mixer and then back before it recovers. Oddly enough the iPad app is more reliable there but misses some key features.

Unrelated, but has anyone found a control surface that works without a daw? In other words a hardware equivalent of the iPad app?
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone know of an AVB multitrack recorder. If I could have something like the 24Ao but it stripes to an SD Card...that would absolutely make my day.
Old 27th November 2017
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Anyone know of an AVB multitrack recorder. If I could have something like the 24Ao but it stripes to an SD Card...that would absolutely make my day.
i suggested a feature in that direction to motu a while ago.
i guess it would be easy for them to write a tool for the avb webapp, that writes the audiostream to an usb stick or usb drive connected to the usb-port.
this would really be a cool feature to have.

maybe there are technical hurdles (like no power available on the usb-port), idk ...
Old 27th November 2017
tft
Gear Nut

i never heard of a dedicated avb recorder.
but i just saw, that presonus has some new boxes, that support avb (don't know if it will work with motu though) and they incorporated an sd card recorder into these.
the 16 channel box is around 1000€, so would make a nice extension to motu-interfaces if the connection via avb works.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

JoeCo.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Writing audio to SD is pretty common -- I believe Allen & Heath, Presonus, and Midas all support this in their mixers, and there are dedicated multitrack recorders from Zoom and Tascam that support this as well. There are no major technical hurdles as to why any of MOTU's interfaces couldn't also write some fixed number of tracks to SD unless they're absolutely saturated on compute and IO already. There are some UI complexities (i.e. enable/disable writing per track/bus, have a small fixed number available, etc.) but it shouldn't be impossible.

The Presonus AVB implementation looks like it's not compatible with the MOTU one (apparently AVB isn't as standard as we'd like to think) -- a StudioLive that supported a MOTU AVB setup would be great, but this does not seem possible.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
JoeCo.
They don't support AVB -- they do support LightPipe, MADI, AES/EBU, Dante. I suppose you could get a 3x8 lightpipe recorder and then connect to a MOTU AVB interface...but at that point the cost would be insane and it would make much more sense just to stream to a cheap laptop.
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
The Presonus AVB implementation looks like it's not compatible with the MOTU one (apparently AVB isn't as standard as we'd like to think) -- a StudioLive that supported a MOTU AVB setup would be great, but this does not seem possible.
The AVB implementation in the new StudioLive Series 3 mixers are IEEE 1722 compliant and have been demonstrated to work with MOTU AVB interfaces. They are still working on on the discovery part so that they can discover and connect to each other easily.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
The AVB implementation in the new StudioLive Series 3 mixers are IEEE 1722 compliant and have been demonstrated to work with MOTU AVB interfaces. They are still working on on the discovery part so that they can discover and connect to each other easily.
Whoa, I can’t find info on this anywhere -do you have more details?
Old 28th November 2017
tft
Gear Nut

i remember that some firmware update in the past said: "compatibility with presonus avb" or something like that. so it should basically work.
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Whoa, I can’t find info on this anywhere -do you have more details?

Presonus Series III and Third-Party AVB support

Quote:
Can I use my StudioLive Series III mixer with other AVB products and devices from other manufacturers?

Currently, the only officially supported 3rd party AVB interoperability for the StudioLive Series III mixers is with compatible Apple computers.

The Series III mixers are currently fully AVB and AVDECC compliant and should be able to exchange AVB audio with any other AVB/AVDECC compliant device with matching sample rate and channel-per-stream configurations (48 kHz, 8 channels per stream), however, we do not currently offer any support for setup and configuration of the Series III with any 3rd party AVB devices.

We are still in the process of testing 3rd party products for use with the Series III and still developing Series III AVB features to support use with 3rd party products. When that testing and development is complete and we have the necessary documentation of setup and configuration, we will be able to offer support for some setup and configuration of third party AVB devices with the Series III mixers.

Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

These latest drivers seem to have made the sample rate change crash bug in Pro Tools even worse.
It was a fun 30 mins in front of a client trying to get a project to open.
Old 30th November 2017
I just saw black lion audio is offering a $600 mod on the 16A. I think the unit sounds great stock. The only thing I can think of is that the Opamps are soldered in and takes time to remove and replace them. $600 seems way too steep!

Last edited by Nu-tra; 30th November 2017 at 10:51 PM..
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I just saw black lion audio is offering a $600 mod on the 16A. I think the unit sounds great stock. The only thing I can think of is that the Opamps are soldered in and takes time to remove and replace them. $600 seams too steep!
Its only $1,500 in the first place. Hard for me to imagine it being a worthwhile upgrade, but maybe for some it is. My thought is to buy a $2,100 unit if you need that quality rather than buy a cheaper one and upgrade with a mod.

If someone wants to post that it was a great sounding mod, glad to learn from others.

I expect a mod will void warranty.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
I just saw black lion audio is offering a $600 mod on the 16A. I think the unit sounds great stock. The only thing I can think of is that the Opamps are soldered in and takes time to remove and replace them. $600 seams too steep!
I am curious about this mod, I love the DA and mic preamps on the 1248 but am not a big fan of the AD for the lineinputs
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

This what Black Lion described:
Our MOTU 16A modification includes the following:
Premium Mod
Analog
– New, high performance op-amp upgrade on analog inputs to ensure better signal quality leading up to the A/D conversion stage
– New, high performance op-amp upgrade on the analog outputs to ensure better signal quality from the D/A conversion stage to the outputs
– Improving the performance of the analog stage circuits makes a drastic difference for tracking, mixing, and mastering (expect amazing micro-dynamics and space)!
Digital
– Proprietary converter decoupling on all of the A/D and D/A converters
– Our approach to converter decoupling reduces noise generated during the conversion process, leaving you with crisp, clear audio!
Get ready to hear the difference you’ve been wanting, but unable to get… until now!

(me): Not feeling it, just not seeing that motu cut the corners that much on parts quality. I have a 1248 so for a similar amount, I could get mine done. Reminds me of my audiophile days--we bought premium capacitors and soldered them into every tube amp we could get our hands on. Again, if someone besides the vendor can tell us if its worth it, I am willing to listen.

I also recall a big surge of diy updating where better 'high slew rate' op amps were coming out and one could buy them and plug them into any gear that had op amp plugs. I think this was an option for large format consoles, and probably did help the sound, though as I have said the past, beware of bandwidth improvements in old gear, as you may not want to hear all those new high frequencies you just let in the door. What was that op amp we were all so excited about? The burr brown 5534? Anybody remember those halcyon days?

ps: to me 'propriatery converter decoupling' sounds a lot like capacitor upgrades to me. With a surface mount device its not like they can add additional circuitry to the board.

pss: now way, no how is anyone going to get their money out of the upgrade if they sell the units--may hurt due to uncertainty about non-vendor mods.

ok, I got curious and opened up my 1248. Lots of caps on it, many look like they can be easily replaced--plugged in. Of course the big ones easy to replace. The op amps are all surface mount and it looks like the I/O ones are very small. I imagine if someone has the right equipment and some practice they can be desoldered, but I wouldn't touch it.

Last edited by ponzi; 30th November 2017 at 11:26 PM..
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post

Same here. the Drawmer is a great unit.
Old 8th December 2017
Here for the gear

All

Might be a bit early, but does anyone have a Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac working with a MOTU 1248 over Thunderbolt ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th December 2017
Gear Nut

Sorry if this has been answered- I couldn't find it. Can I use an ultralite AVB as a direct audio input for an iPad? Not to control the AVB network, but as an actual audio interface?
Old 10th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbomb View Post
Sorry if this has been answered- I couldn't find it. Can I use an ultralite AVB as a direct audio input for an iPad? Not to control the AVB network, but as an actual audio interface?
Yes, you can - the USB 2.0 connection is "class compliant"
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Nut
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that we’re currently running a public beta cycle for some exciting new features we’ve been working on.This update installs the new Touch Console, featuring designed-for-touchscreen mixing for your MOTU Pro Audio Interface from your tablet or smartphone.
Please note that this firmware moves the "Computer Setup" and "AVB Stream Setup" settings from the Device Tab to the Routing Grid page.
Take a look at the page below for more information and download links.
MOTU.com - Pro Audio
I’d like to invite you all to share your feedback with us at: [email protected] or with me directly!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search