The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings View Post
Okay - I did a little digging on my and just found this quote from an SOS review:

In practice, though, this is undermined by the fact that there’s no clear indication of overs, either on the front panel or within the browser-based mixer view.//
The browser based mixer view indicates overs all the time on my 1248. Both tracking and playback.
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Head

single interface with two computers

Sorry if this has been asked before, but it's really hard to find information on this:

Is it possible to connect a Mac with thunderbolt to an Motu AVB interface and connect a second Mac by ethernet directly to the same Motu AVB interface?
So the setup would consist of two computers and one Motu AVB interface.

And then I want to route audio between the two macs.

Really curious to hear if this is possible!
Old 17th October 2017
Gear Addict

The clipping-indicator issue relates directly to my repeated requests that MOTU either update the units with coloured level metering, provide us with an option to have the screens replaced by the company or give us an option to use a plastic, static-or-vacuum-sticking overlay.

With bad eyesight, many levels to see when bouncing down (dozens of synth tracks alone), and my interfaces' being located at the bottom of two tall racks, I anticipate having no hope of seeing what's going on at-a-glance, and there will be many glances.

I'm not prepared to switch to a custom screenset, which is what I'd have to do in DP, when I should simply be able to glance at the interfaces and know what's going on.

Still haven't completed paying off my lay-buy (restarted, due to a huge rip-off last year) for 3 units, DB connectors and the switch box, but even if I had, I'd be hesitant to jump onboard right now as I really thought there'd have been an upgrade / workaround / overlay solution by now.

I don't mean to sound pushy, MOTU, but I've not received any response to my repeated questions about this in this thread, so it would be wonderful to hear from you guys.

Thank you in advance!
Old 17th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnestelaar View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but it's really hard to find information on this:

Is it possible to connect a Mac with thunderbolt to an Motu AVB interface and connect a second Mac by ethernet directly to the same Motu AVB interface?
So the setup would consist of two computers and one Motu AVB interface.

And then I want to route audio between the two macs.

Really curious to hear if this is possible!
Yes, this is possible (providing your Mac is a relatively recent one that has an Ethernet port that supports AVB)
Old 17th October 2017
Gear Head

Thanks Billy,

I also contacted Motu, they told me that it's not officially supported but they've seen working setups like these, although the mac AVB drivers are not so good.

They said that this can be done with one Motu AVB, an AVB switch and two computers connected to the AVB switch.

Did you tried this by yourself?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
The browser based mixer view indicates overs all the time on my 1248. Both tracking and playback.
I was referring to the actual hardware unit's display.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Longshot -- but anyone here uses this with the Harrison Mixbus DAW? If so, any opinions?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
On my system at least, if you open a session that's at a different rate than the AVB interface is set for, it usually hangs, but not always. Communication between DP on my iMac and AVB over sample rate is not good, very rarely does DP dictate a changing rate and AVB follows. Usually sorting the rate, closing DP, resetting it in AVB, then reopening DP is the path. Sometimes Mac or AVB need a hard reboot to de-confuse themselves.
I have the same issue, but with Pro Tools. The unit especially hates switching to/from 48k.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Grabbed a new laptop with a USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s) port. The computer runs Windows 10. Can this be interfaced to the Thunderbolt port on the back of the 16A, and if so, does it provide better latency than simply using the USB 2.0 interface?

Are there cables available with the proper connectors (point me to a link please). I've searched and searched without success. I'm thinking it needs Thunderbolt 1/2 on the MOTU end, and the USB type C on the laptop end. Or do I need to use a converter on one end of a cable?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
Grabbed a new laptop with a USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s) port. The computer runs Windows 10. Can this be interfaced to the Thunderbolt port on the back of the 16A, and if so, does it provide better latency than simply using the USB 2.0 interface?

Are there cables available with the proper connectors (point me to a link please). I've searched and searched without success. I'm thinking it needs Thunderbolt 1/2 on the MOTU end, and the USB type C on the laptop end. Or do I need to use a converter on one end of a cable?
USB Type-C is a *connector.* The same connector can be used for *either* ports which support only USB, *or* ports which support either USB or Thunderbolt. (If that sounds confusing to you, I agree; it seems like the industry was setting itself up for trouble.) If your laptop supports Thunderbolt, the answer to your question is yes. But, if it just supports USB 3.1, as you write, then the answer is no; instead, you'd connect to the USB port of the 16A.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Huh. I thought USB "C" was just an Apple thing. How disappointing to learn that Windows uses it too. I only do Mac...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Huh. I thought USB "C" was just an Apple thing. How disappointing to learn that Windows uses it too. I only do Mac...
Color me confused. You don’t use Windows, so how does Microsoft support for a standard have any impact on you, other than creating a larger market for peripherals that you might be interested in?

The convergence of power, USB 3.1, and Thunderbolt 3 on a single connector is a great thing for laptop users, or at least it will be once the rest of the industry catches up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

After my latest Chrome update, my AVB mixer has stopped working, saying use a supported browser?Anyone else got this - it's fine in Internet Explorer so I've got a workaround.
Old 3 weeks ago
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
After my latest Chrome update, my AVB mixer has stopped working, saying use a supported browser?Anyone else got this - it's fine in Internet Explorer so I've got a workaround.
i see this too with chrome, but only when trying to reach the webapp in the unit over the usb-connection. when i use ethernet cable it works flawless.

over the years i found the ethernet-cable connection much more reliable anyways ...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Color me confused. You don’t use Windows, so how does Microsoft support for a standard have any impact on you, other than creating a larger market for peripherals that you might be interested in?

The convergence of power, USB 3.1, and Thunderbolt 3 on a single connector is a great thing for laptop users, or at least it will be once the rest of the industry catches up.
It would be great if the connector *always* supported both USB 3.1 *and* Thunderbolt. But, it doesn't. Nor do the cables. This situation predictably leads to user confusion, as documented above. As Andrew Cunningham wrote in Ars Technica, "that’s the fun of USB-C—a whole bunch of cables that look the same but don’t all do the same thing."
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
It would be great if the connector *always* supported both USB 3.1 *and* Thunderbolt. But, it doesn't. Nor do the cables.
Barring literally out of spec badly produced cables, all USB-C cables are Thunderbolt 3 cables and vice-versa.

It is true that not all USB-C ports support Thunderbolt speeds and connectivity, but that kind of situation is true of prior USB revisions as well. Not all USB-A ports are high speed USB 2 or USB 3, for example. So nothing new there.

Just as importantly per the original context I was weighing in on, none of this has anything to do with Windows. The first MacBook with USB-C doesn't have support for Thunderbolt 3, either. USB is an evolving standard with all the inconveniences that this implies. The alternative is devices littered with a unique port for each revision of the standard, and that's not what anyone wants either.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Barring literally out of spec badly produced cables, all USB-C cables are Thunderbolt 3 cables and vice-versa.
Nope.

It's correct that all Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C cables support USB. However, there are many USB Type-C cables which perfectly conform to spec and yet do not support Thunderbolt at all, instead supporting either USB 3 or (yes) only USB 2.

That you would believe otherwise demonstrates my point: the shared form-factor causes user confusion.

The analogy to USB 2/3 is flawed as well. Importantly, USB 2 and 3 are bi-directionally compatible; barring limitations on bus power, you can plug a USB 3 device into a USB 2 port. You can't plug a Thunderbolt device into a USB-only port.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
Nope.

It's correct that all Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C cables support USB. However, there are many USB Type-C cables which perfectly conform to spec and yet do not support Thunderbolt at all, instead supporting either USB 3 or (yes) only USB 2.
That was definitely news to me. I had followed many of the issues with our-of-spec cables, but I hadn't seen the spec accommodations for low-bandwidth cables (although it appears that it's only USB 2 data rates, and not the other limitations of the USB 2 specification.)

Quote:
That you would believe otherwise demonstrates my point: the shared form-factor causes user confusion.
Understood. Again, it's not particularly new for USB and it has nothing to do with Windows.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
Try zooming in or out from Chrome's View menu.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
what cable do I need to connect the Motu 16A to my USB-C port in computer ? I am moving from my old Windows PC with 424 card to thunderbolt.

Need to know before I buy the 16A

Appreciate your help

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotama View Post
what cable do I need to connect the Motu 16A to my USB-C port in computer ? I am moving from my old Windows PC with 424 card to thunderbolt.

Need to know before I buy the 16A

Appreciate your help

Cheers
Gotama,

You can use a Thunderbolt 3 (Type C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter for Thunderbolt connectivity.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...c6505aecc8dca4

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgKtOPD_BwE

Or you can use a USB C (Type C) to USB 2 adapter for USB connectivity:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...to-usb-adapter
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
Gotama,

You can use a Thunderbolt 3 (Type C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter for Thunderbolt connectivity.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...c6505aecc8dca4

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgKtOPD_BwE

Or you can use a USB C (Type C) to USB 2 adapter for USB connectivity:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...to-usb-adapter
Thanks Travisvictor. However I forgot to mention a vital thing that I use Windows. Would the apple adapter which you quoted work with the Motu 16A over windows 10?

if it works ill go buy the 16A right now. Price/performance is great compared to other high end interfaces.

Appreciate your great feedback as always

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Hey Motu 16a users, unless you have other interface hooked up, what are you using to control headphones and monitors?

I may be using the 16a as the master, so if I have another interface hooked up via adat I'm not sure if I could use the headphones out as part of the adat channels?

But if your just using the 16a, I'd like to send 2 channels to a controller that would give me 2 headphone outs with independent gain knobs ( i realize the mix would be the same ) and a set of outs to connect to active monitors, with its own attenuator controls. If theres an option for 2 sets of monitors with A/B switch that's cool too.

thanks in advance!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Hey Motu 16a users, unless you have other interface hooked up, what are you using to control headphones and monitors?

I may be using the 16a as the master, so if I have another interface hooked up via adat I'm not sure if I could use the headphones out as part of the adat channels?

But if your just using the 16a, I'd like to send 2 channels to a controller that would give me 2 headphone outs with independent gain knobs ( i realize the mix would be the same ) and a set of outs to connect to active monitors, with its own attenuator controls. If theres an option for 2 sets of monitors with A/B switch that's cool too.

thanks in advance!
I have my monitors connected to 16a outputs 1 and 2. I control the volume/muting via the keyboard volume controls on my iMac.

I have a behringer ADA8200 connected via adat, which feeds headphone distribution amps, VU meters and a couple of channels on my console.

Cheers

Wiz
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
I have my monitors connected to 16a outputs 1 and 2. I control the volume/muting via the keyboard volume controls on my iMac.

I have a behringer ADA8200 connected via adat, which feeds headphone distribution amps, VU meters and a couple of channels on my console.
OK cool thanks! Do you find the beri colors the sound at all? What hp amps are you using if you dont mind? I've always used the ones on my interface so I've never really had to look for a separate hp amp...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
OK cool thanks! Do you find the beri colors the sound at all? What hp amps are you using if you dont mind? I've always used the ones on my interface so I've never really had to look for a separate hp amp...
The ADA and 16A sound different... , but not a big deal for me on cans, certainly doesn't matter with VUs...

The headphone amp, I reckon the need for a good one of these flies a bit under the radar I reckon, I never really noticed, till I got a good one and stopped using interface headphone amps... mine are Proharmonic ( custom made in Australia).

Makes a big difference for me, as I am engineer/player, and have to mic and play everything on my own...

Worthwhile investment

cheers

Wiz
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I've been running a MOTU 16A for about two years now without any of these hassles. I also didn't upgrade to the latest MOTU drivers either. My system was working flawlessly so I didn't bother.

I recently had to perform a reinstall of Windows 7 64 bit and decided to install the latest firmware and driver. Big mistake - I now have the dreaded intermittent crackles embedded in certain recordings as well as losing audio every now and then. I have to close my DAW and reopen before things return to normal. Sometimes they dont' and I have reboot the device and the computer.

I tried to work things out with MOTU support but even after trying various settings etc things are much the same.

I'm tried going back to the driver that worked before but that was a complete nightmare. The driver initially wouldn't install and when it did all the audio was distorted. The web browser also couldn't find any MOTU hardware.

Does anyone have any advice for me about rolling back to version 1.6? Do I need to roll back to the earlier firmware as well?

Any help would be appreciated. I've had to cancel sessions until I sort this out.

Cheers

Peter.
Old 1 week ago
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
I've been running a MOTU 16A for about two years now without any of these hassles. I also didn't upgrade to the latest MOTU drivers either. My system was working flawlessly so I didn't bother.

I recently had to perform a reinstall of Windows 7 64 bit and decided to install the latest firmware and driver. Big mistake - I now have the dreaded intermittent crackles embedded in certain recordings as well as losing audio every now and then. I have to close my DAW and reopen before things return to normal. Sometimes they dont' and I have reboot the device and the computer.

I tried to work things out with MOTU support but even after trying various settings etc things are much the same.

I'm tried going back to the driver that worked before but that was a complete nightmare. The driver initially wouldn't install and when it did all the audio was distorted. The web browser also couldn't find any MOTU hardware.

Does anyone have any advice for me about rolling back to version 1.6? Do I need to roll back to the earlier firmware as well?

Any help would be appreciated. I've had to cancel sessions until I sort this out.

Cheers

Peter.
i tried several versions of the new pro-audio driver on a win8 32bit system, same as you say above. it is just not reliable on my system/OS.
going back to driver 1.6 was a little bit strange too, but it worked in the end.

here is what i did:
uninstalled motu pro audio driver via windows/remove programs. shut down computer and disconnected the interface.
restarted and installed 1.6 driver, restarted. connected interface, failed to be recognized. installed the driver again (just over the first installation), restarted, then it worked.
maybe you have to try some other order, but just be persistent
good luck!
the 1.6 driver works reliable.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
The ADA and 16A sound different... , but not a big deal for me on cans, certainly doesn't matter with VUs...

The headphone amp, I reckon the need for a good one of these flies a bit under the radar I reckon, I never really noticed, till I got a good one and stopped using interface headphone amps... mine are Proharmonic ( custom made in Australia).

Makes a big difference for me, as I am engineer/player, and have to mic and play everything on my own...

Worthwhile investment

cheers

Wiz
Thanks for the info! Proharmonic stuff looks sweet, I did find there site before when I was on the hunt for a stereo reamper... Any old HP amp for tracking would def be good, I do a fair amount of mixing with headphones so wanna make sure I'm getting something good. Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Fellow MOTUers

Does anyone have an up to date latency comparison between the USB and Thunderbolt drivers on the 1248 ? I am interested in the performance on Windows 10.

I am in the process of upgrading my computer (8700K) and so far it looks like Thunderbolt is still an expensive option. Last numbers I could find showed a 100 sample difference between USB 2 and Thunderbolt. That's almost $500 per millisecond at 24/96kHz if you include the add-on card, the T2 > T3 adapter, new cables and sales tax.

Thanks in advance.

E
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search