The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head
so what happened ?
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

I wonder if anyone (balijon?) can confirm that if I hook up a multi-unit system via ethernet (to an AVB-capable PCI ethernet card) to a 2012 Mac tower, I'll be able to switch units on and off as required.

Multiple ROMplers' multi-outs will be feeding perhaps 4 interfaces, and I'll only require a couple to be powered up most of the time. The M.O. would be something like, "Hmm... methinks I should whack a Roland INTEGRA polysynth pad into the verse...", at which point I'd fire up the Rolly and switch whichever interface receives its multi outs on. If I then load a different project into DP that doesn't use the Rolly, I'd obviously want to switch both the synth and interface off... for the time being.

If power prices weren't so ridiculously-high here in Australia, and I not so poor, I doubt I'd care; I'd just leave everything on all the time. Reality dictates that I first confirm absolutely what the situation with this is 'though, before purchase. Any firm info will be very-much appreciated, fellow slutz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryrocks View Post
Motu has determined my unit to be broken and I was just within the 2 year warrenty, so i should be getting a new unit in about a week.
That's awesome, Terry. The saga of seeking answers across multiple forums comes to a close then! Good on you mate, and fingers crossed you get a good 'un...
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
I wonder if anyone (balijon?) can confirm that if I hook up a multi-unit system via ethernet (to an AVB-capable PCI ethernet card) to a 2012 Mac tower, I'll be able to switch units on and off as required.
Yes you can, current drivers and firmware are solid to handle this.
Switching 'on' a unit will take some time to be 'seen' by the network (the other devices) and become available (takes less than a minute). The unit will have 'boot-time' anyway, just don't expect it to be available instantly after switching it 'on'.
Be careful to select your clock-master-device and we prefer to keep that unit 'on' (and/or the first unit to switch on). You can switch-off the clock master-device, the network will elect a new clock-master and reconfigure itself, but that takes some time.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
You're a star, balijon.

Thank you so much, mate. I very-much look forward to hearing / seeing the specifics of CPU demand on your system.

Woo-bloody-hoo!
Getting a clear 'picture' on the resource impact of ethernet-AVB is less straightforward as it looks, as you always need an application for streams to connect to (like a DAW). The application resource usage 'blurs' the overall picture.
We have found an application with minimal resource impact (Bidule) that can act as an AVB-stream 'endpoint' and 'source'.
We are currently discussing a 'step-by-step' sequence to test this. As we currently have many projects (busy season), it will take some time to get it done.

grT
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

I've seen and reported the 'low power' indication/reboot here many times, and it ain't low power according to the meter reading the wall outlet.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
Getting a clear 'picture' on the resource impact of ethernet-AVB is less straightforward as it looks, as you always need an application for streams to connect to (like a DAW). The application resource usage 'blurs' the overall picture.
We have found an application with minimal resource impact (Bidule) that can act as an AVB-stream 'endpoint' and 'source'.
We are currently discussing a 'step-by-step' sequence to test this. As we currently have many projects (busy season), it will take some time to get it done.

grT
Hey, I appreciate that you've not forgotten my request mate. Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
Yes you can, current drivers and firmware are solid to handle this.
Switching 'on' a unit will take some time to be 'seen' by the network (the other devices) and become available (takes less than a minute). The unit will have 'boot-time' anyway, just don't expect it to be available instantly after switching it 'on'.
Be careful to select your clock-master-device and we prefer to keep that unit 'on' (and/or the first unit to switch on). You can switch-off the clock master-device, the network will elect a new clock-master and reconfigure itself, but that takes some time.
Awesome. Thank you, balijon.

I assume this means that if I always have a "default" unit (my "main" I/O to and from the 'puter, which'll be a 16A) switched on, there'll be no issues with clocking. TBH, I hadn't considered clocking 'cause with my MOTU PCI system I haven't given it a single thought in 15 years.

Sounds like I should always power up the "main" unit first and wait a little while before adding any others. Can't I specify this unit to always be the master in the client software? I mean, it'll always be switched on when I fire up DP, and often the only one used.

Thank you again, Mr. Jon.
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Nut

I currently have two AVB interfaces. To add a third, I would have to go for an AVB Switch as well. Since I would like the ability to check for firmware updates on all devices, should I run the Mac to the AVB Switch's E port, then ports 1, 2 and 3 to the interfaces? MOTU's AVB page suggests TB to the first interface, then AVB to the Switch, then ports 1-5 to the remaining interfaces. Which is the best way?
Old 19th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I currently have two AVB interfaces. To add a third, I would have to go for an AVB Switch as well. Since I would like the ability to check for firmware updates on all devices, should I run the Mac to the AVB Switch's E port, then ports 1, 2 and 3 to the interfaces? MOTU's AVB page suggests TB to the first interface, then AVB to the Switch, then ports 1-5 to the remaining interfaces. Which is the best way?

I have 16A and 24Ao. 16a is connected to computer via Thunderbolt for optimal latency / performance. 16A is connected to AVB Switch as well as 24Ao. No problems at all, good performance, routing and clock distribution.
Old 19th June 2017
I am wondering how anyone who is running a 16A and a 8A together is going?

Is it stable and working well?

How about routing?

cheers

Wiz
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
I have 16A and 24Ao. 16a is connected to computer via Thunderbolt for optimal latency / performance. 16A is connected to AVB Switch as well as 24Ao. No problems at all, good performance, routing and clock distribution.
Which device is using AVB Switch port E? The 16A, the computer, a WiFi repeater or your broadband router?
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Nut
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to drop a line and let you all know that earlier today we released a new Pro Audio Driver for Mac and Windows. We also released firmware updates for all Pro Audio/AVB Hardware. Both can be downloaded from this link:

MOTU.com - AVB

This firmware includes an update which adds an enable/disable auto-gain button for the Compressor. See the below link for a comprehensive list of firmware changes:
MOTU.com - Firmware Change Log - MOTU Hardware

As always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions about these updates.
Old 21st June 2017
Lives for gear

Fantastic, thanks Travis. Looking forward to finally putting the compressor to good use.
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
Hi everyone!
This firmware includes an update which adds an enable/disable auto-gain button for the Compressor.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for listening!
Old 23rd June 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the update , indeed now would be a good time to focus on improving the reverb
Old 23rd June 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks very much for the update, looking forward to being able to use the channel compressors
Old 26th June 2017
Hey Motu! Remember to put Midi Learn for the Mixer!
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
...This firmware includes an update which adds an enable/disable auto-gain button for the Compressor...
Thanks for being responsive to this request--the auto-gain switch integrates well into the layout.

Been thinking a bit about an 8A lately. Its got 7 db better dynamic range on the line input compared to my ultralite avb.

Maybe a little bit of a question, or an observation. I believe I have just learned that I can access the web mixer interface over usb OR Ethernet. So, doing that may allow me to add an 8a to the setup by running an Ethernet cable between the units. Does that sound like a workable approach? Not wanting to buy the switch if I don't have to.
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Thanks for being responsive to this request--the auto-gain switch integrates well into the layout.

Been thinking a bit about an 8A lately. Its got 7 db better dynamic range on the line input compared to my ultralite avb.

Maybe a little bit of a question, or an observation. I believe I have just learned that I can access the web mixer interface over usb OR Ethernet. So, doing that may allow me to add an 8a to the setup by running an Ethernet cable between the units. Does that sound like a workable approach? Not wanting to buy the switch if I don't have to.
Hi Ponzi,

This sounds like a perfect setup. No switch necessary for fewer than 3 AVB interfaces.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Ponzi,

This sounds like a perfect setup. No switch necessary for fewer than 3 AVB interfaces.
Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to drop a line and let you all know that earlier today we released a new Pro Audio Driver for Mac and Windows. We also released firmware updates for all Pro Audio/AVB Hardware. Both can be downloaded from this link:

MOTU.com - AVB

This firmware includes an update which adds an enable/disable auto-gain button for the Compressor. See the below link for a comprehensive list of firmware changes:
MOTU.com - Firmware Change Log - MOTU Hardware

As always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions about these updates.

Hello The new driver update is not loading, previous version loads please
check into this. The firmware loads as stated.
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Head

For those who would know....

I have a 16A, I frequently get loud pops from speakers and then I loose either left or right ch or both, This requires a reboot of both PC and 16A.
Also, when I change the sample rates from the 16a, I get a loud pop as well.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you in advance!
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

1) for some reason the Ethernet connection did not pick up the availability of the firmware upgrade, so I downloaded it and went into the file upgrade process and that went fine. During that process I learned that I don't need it connected to my network in order to use the control panel web app--new information to me.

2) My ultralight avb would give tiny pops when the latency was set too low. I can't recall ever having to re-boot it other than as part of a firmware upgrade. Interesting on the 16a problems, hope you get it resolved.
Old 2nd July 2017
Having problems updating. First kept timing out on MOTU's server. I downloaded the file, now my interface's connection keeps timing out in update mode. And I don't even use the onboard FX.

EDIT: Got it. I had to disconnect Thunderbolt for it to stay connected. Never had to do that with firmware updates before.

Last edited by Robby in WA; 2nd July 2017 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Solved
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
I am wondering how anyone who is running a 16A and a 8A together is going?

Is it stable and working well?

How about routing?

cheers

Wiz
I'm doing this, on windows 10, 16A connected via thunderbolt and 8A via optical, clocked over AVB. All good, stable, latency is pretty impressive.
Only real issues I've had are with only one thunderbolt port on it, which is pretty short sighted. I've got it daisy chained through a Lacie 5big and I have to turn things on it a certain way to get everything working properly.
Old 4th July 2017
Lives for gear

Sharing a personal victory here.... The web based mixer on my motu ultralite avb just blew my mind when I first got it. I think part of the problem is it is so flexible and configurable. I watched what instructional videos existed and was able to get a configuration I could use after hours of trial and error. I came within an inch of returning the unit. Once it was set up, though, it did the job. So recently, I have been watching a video series on macprovideo about the signal flow in large mixers, and that has really helped my get my mind around things. My biggest hang-up was probably the concept of intermediate signal busses where the output of one channel strip can be routed into the input of another.

So, yesterday, I took what I was learning about large format mixing consoles and took a hard look at the motu routing matrix. Since I think of 'outs' and 'ins' as physical plugs on a physical mixer, I determined that on motu routing matrix I called 'outs' 'signal sources' and 'ins' 'signal destinations'. Then I determined that the 'mix in' on the left hand side represented the channel strips.

This lead up to my ureka moment: I thought of a routing setup that would facilitate what I was doing, and made the necessary change to implement it and it worked as I intended! Now this may be small stuff to most folks as they probably have large format mixer understanding, or simply figured it out more quickly, but for me it was a big step forward. Now I am an even bigger fan of the motu devices.

As long as I am here... another big win: My ears don't like a lot of high frequency information, and I have some mp3s that I have a hard time listening to because of lots of high frequency content--mostly distortion to my thinking. Well, I have all these cool vst equalizers and I thought it would be nice if I could get a music player that could use a vst as an effect. I tried a number of programs and approaches that did not work. I looked at hardware units, but they are either really cheap or really expensive. Then I remembered that my moto mixer has an equalizer. So I activated the equalizer and used the graphic interface to set an eq profile that I liked. I also added some midrange boost, also to my taste. And there I had it.

Getting comfortable with mixer busses and large format concepts in general has also helped me with Cubase as it has its own mixer/buss metaphor, so I have sort of a mixer within a mixer in my system.

And Kontakt has its own mixer with sends and effects. So three layers of mixer metaphors.
Old 5th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Having problems updating. First kept timing out on MOTU's server. I downloaded the file, now my interface's connection keeps timing out in update mode. And I don't even use the onboard FX.

EDIT: Got it. I had to disconnect Thunderbolt for it to stay connected. Never had to do that with firmware updates before.
Interesting, I have always had to disconnect TB to get updates to happen. Maybe you're saying something different, but I can't have ethernet and TB both connected to the computer at the same time.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear

Sorry if I'm being daft, but how do I control what gets sent to the monitor mix? I assume it's not an entirely separate mix, I can just wire one specific set of inputs to it? Where is the "Monitor" _input_ (top row) come from?
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Sorry if I'm being daft, but how do I control what gets sent to the monitor mix? I assume it's not an entirely separate mix, I can just wire one specific set of inputs to it? Where is the "Monitor" _input_ (top row) come from?
Essentially there is single mixer with 48 input channels(32ch @96k), 7 (3 @96k) stereo AUXes, monitor stereo bus and main stereo bus.
You can then route those buses to any physical outputs at AVB interface.

Generally it's similar to normal mixing desk. So for example, you're creating drummers cue mix, which is different from yours, so you'll dedicate first stereo AUX bus for him and create his mix via AUX sends from each mixer input channel for coming to this bus.
You're still controlling single mixer, however you can select specific UI view at web app, which is dedicated just for quick mixing of the particular AUX bus, essentially is just streamlined view (instead of full blown mixer view with all EQs, effects etc.) where you have simple levels and pans of all contributing mixer channels.

Monitor bus at this mixer is kinda special one, because you can't really feed it directly from input channels via sends (like with AUXes) or direct routing, but its source is either some other bus (main, AUX 1-7..), or it will work as a solo bus (so when you hit solo at some channels, it will play through this bus).
While it's might not look as advantageous, it makes a lot of sense, if you for instance tracking something and want to hear something in isolation without affecting main mix or other outputs. That way you can route this monitoring(solo) bus to rec. engineer headphones and you're done.

Michal
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Monitor bus at this mixer is kinda special one, because you can't really feed it directly from input channels via sends (like with AUXes) or direct routing, but its source is either some other bus (main, AUX 1-7..), or it will work as a solo bus (so when you hit solo at some channels, it will play through this bus).
Right, that's what I figured, but I can't find for the life of me where I set this?!

My intent is to feed the MAIN OUT to a recorder but have the MONITOR OUT for subsets of tracks I want to send out as stems/samples.
Old 7th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Right, that's what I figured, but I can't find for the life of me where I set this?!

My intent is to feed the MAIN OUT to a recorder but have the MONITOR OUT for subsets of tracks I want to send out as stems/samples.
Maybe I don't understand it well, but why you'd like to use monitor bus for that?.. as I've mentioned, monitor bus has bit special application, which isn't really suitable for what you want to do IMO.

I'd use main bus to feed your recorder and then use some aux(es) for doing stems.. you can do arbitrary mix to aux bus, it's up to you, if you send there just single input channel or mix of twenty channels.

Physical out and mixer bus are independent things.. you can easily route for example AUX 3 to several different physical outputs or you can similarly route MAIN to both first two analogue and some digital out.
It's completely customizable at routing tab of AVB mixer, where you can view and setup that at routing matrix.

Michal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search