The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Apologies if I've missed it in this epic thread but can anyone clear up what the host safety buffer setting is doing?
Does the latency work out as the normal buffer + the safety buffer or is it not as straightforward as that?
Old 20th April 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulley View Post
Apologies if I've missed it in this epic thread but can anyone clear up what the host safety buffer setting is doing?
Does the latency work out as the normal buffer + the safety buffer or is it not as straightforward as that?
Hi Bulley,

Here's some info that can be found on page 37 of the 1248 manual that should be helpful, regarding the Host Safety Offset.

"This setting allows you to fine tune host
latency. Larger offsets allow the driver more time to
process audio as it transfers to and from the
hardware. Lower settings produce lower latency,
but if you go too low, your host software may
experience performance issues. Generally
speaking, 48 samples should serve as a good
baseline setting. You can then experiment with
lower settings from there. Be mindful, however,
when reducing the safety offset, as this parameter
can have a significant impact on your computer
system’s performance."

You are correct in assuming that the total latency can be calculated by the Host Buffer Size + Host Safety Offset.
I hope this is helpful!

Travis
Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

Travis, did you see this on page 100?

Originally Posted by Travisvictor
USB3 is a higher bandwidth connection than USB2 which allows us to offer the same channel count as Thunderbolt: up to 128 channels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
So why wasn't USB3 used throughout the AVB line, instead of USB2?

I asked about this 2 years ago when I realised I couldn't add TB to my 2012 Mac tower, and you guys said that there was "no compelling reason" that USB3 would be preferable. Well, I'd say a 128-channel count vs 64 at 1x sample rates is pretty compelling, wouldn't you?

I've got USB3 cards in said Mac, so I'd have been set to go years ago had you employed USB3 alongside TB across the 19" AVB line. Instead, it's been a terribly-frustrating game of watching this thread and waiting for this logical "development" and for a clue as to when we could see coloured meters on the units themselves (asked about that too for very-legitimate reasons a year ago).
Adding a 624 or 8A to your setup would allow you to expand your system substantially.

Quote:
Why should we have to do this in order to gain the USB3 performance you mentioned, Travis? Does it make sense that the "baby" interfaces should sport a viable alternative to TB (for this purpose, certainly), that allows legacy Macs access (finally) to decent channel-count performance, when the "senior", pro-spec'd-and-priced interfaces don't?

Finally, I see Slate is going to offer a PCI-based hookup solution for those who don't have TB. I asked MOTU from the get-go about this possibility, 'cause I've been blown away by the rock-solid stability of my now-15+ year-old PCI-based AudioWire setup. As I've stated many times here, I get the jitters just thinking about switching to USB2 for the AVB system, which I've been keen all along to upgrade to for the sound alone.

Thoughts, Travis? Do I continue to wait for a USB3-based update to the 19" line... with coloured metering? Could the existing interfaces be upgraded to USB3?

Lastly, sorry about the matter-of-fact, sightly-fed-up-with-the-wait tone of this post; it's in fact a first for me, and I can put it down to the seemingly-endless wait, the research I've had to undertake and even the partial sale of my MIDI setup in order to try to accommodate the USB2-imposed channel-count limitation... which I now learn could have been avoided all along.

All I've ever sought was a sound-quality upgrade to my CueMix / 3x 24I/O, PCI-based MOTU setup.
... and 3 pages back on page 101, I reiterated my situation after being quoted:

Quote:
Ah, thank you, magoostus.

TB isn't an option for me and others on older Macs, which is why I asked.

So, I'm back to hoping a PCI card could be offered. This thing has dragged on for years for me; I just want the stability I've enjoyed for over 15 years using CueMix and AudioWire with my 24I/Os but with the newer, much-better convertors.

Started to sell come of my hardware-MIDI gear to downgrade channel count in order to shoehorn my system into a USB2-powered AVB equivalent setup, but got cold feet as the more I invest in this "upgrade" (DB-25 connectors too, totalling $600 AU), the more I fear I'll be shooting myself in the foot if it proves glitchy / unstable. Remember, I'm accustomed to 100%-flawless performance from the PCI setup.

Very tempting to just stick with what I've got right now, which is a flawless CueMix system with Direct Hardware Playthrough in DP, albeit without those fantastic new convertors. Not 100% committed either way anymore; in two minds still...

Thank you again for clarifying that, magoostus.
I've been waiting for a response, Travis, and figured I've allowed long-enough now to justify repetition. I'm a rusted-on MOTU devotee who's desperately in need of some Company Spec™ WD-40. Please.
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Travis, did you see this on page 100?

USB3 is a higher bandwidth connection than USB2 which allows us to offer the same channel count as Thunderbolt: up to 128 channels!

Adding a 624 or 8A to your setup would allow you to expand your system substantially.

... and 3 pages back on page 101, I reiterated my situation after being quoted:

I've been waiting for a response, Travis, and figured I've allowed long-enough now to justify repetition. I'm a rusted-on MOTU devotee who's desperately in need of some Company Spec™ WD-40. Please.
For MacPro's: buy a Sonnet GE1000LAB-E ethernet card, it supports AVB and is directly recognised by OSX as a native device.
We are running 64/64 channels @192kHz rock-solid.
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you, Balijon. That's the Presto Gigabit Pro card, and is definitely the one I've looked at already. I assume it's good for up to 128 channels and isn't limited to the 64 you're using, no?

I sometimes forget about the ethernet option 'cause of the extra latency and the fact that I couldn't extract a guess from MOTU as to what the CPU hit would be.

Just for my reference, what's the hit at 192 and also if you dial things back to 1x (44/48k) for the 64 channels of I/O, mate?

I'll be looking at 72->88 channels if I go the ethernet route, so I figure I could extrapolate a guesstimate from your data.

Thank you in advance brother. Anything is helpful.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Thank you, Balijon. That's the Presto Gigabit Pro card, and is definitely the one I've looked at already. I assume it's good for up to 128 channels and isn't limited to the 64 you're using, no?

I sometimes forget about the ethernet option 'cause of the extra latency and the fact that I couldn't extract a guess from MOTU as to what the CPU hit would be.

Just for my reference, what's the hit at 192 and also if you dial things back to 1x (44/48k) for the 64 channels of I/O, mate?

I'll be looking at 72->88 channels if I go the ethernet route, so I figure I could extrapolate a guesstimate from your data.

Thank you in advance brother. Anything is helpful.
Yes, I expect that you can run 256 channels at 44/48k over a 1Gb interface. We never tested this as we are running 192k only.

The CPU hit is moderate, only during the connection initiation we see an increase (that goes down again), the latest AVB drivers in OSX have been improving a lot.
On the other hand we are running 12-core MacPro's @3,5GHz..
We noticed some channel limitations with MacMini's, but no where near you are requiring.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Nut

After months of consideration, I decided to add a 2nd 16A to my MB Pro rig to help neatly manage my growing outboard collection. The first 16A is connected to the Mac via Thunderbolt, while the 2nd unit is connected to the first 16A via the network port. When I was first firing everything up, I had the 2nd 16A initially connected only to the Mac through the network port, while the first 16A remained connected by Thunderbolt. I notice the layout to be a little different in the discovery app depending on which way I did it, but without spending any time on comparing the difference, I just went with the recommended default setup for those with 2 AVB interface units. (one via TB, the other connected to the 1st via the network port). If anybody could enlighten or repeat their thoughts on whether there's any particular reason to favor one over the other, I would greatly appreciate it.

I keep a rack on each end of my desk (left side, right side), where each side now has it’s own 16A, with gear being divided for my optimal workflow whether tracking or mixing. I’ve set aside a pair of outs for my monitors setup, and another pair for tracking on headphones. Of the remaining 28 analog outs, 24 of them will use inputs/outputs in Cubase 9 Pro as hardware inserts, with the final 4 analog outs feeding the external SC on a RND Portico II MBP, and API 2500, in order to key in the compressor input on that track from another source while in the analog realm.

Even though i’ve had the first 16A for over 2 years and had a good idea what to expect, I am slowly starting to realize that there are far greater routing possibilities than I initially anticipated, and am just figuring things out through trial and error since I couldn’t find any tech links on the MOTU site that was able to address some of the nuances more specific to my own situation. It almost seems as if I can send AVB inputs from one unit’s physical ins/outs directly to the other unit’s analog outs, without even needing to have them sent to the to/from computer 1,2,3 etc. channels on the other unit? I’m going to need to spend more time visualizing this, even after owning it over 2 years to fully grasp all the different things the 2nd unit makes me capable of doing now.

If anybody who likewise works with 2 AVB units in order to mostly use the ins/outs on both as DAW hardware inserts had any other insights they could share, hopefully i’m not the only one interested in hearing about it.
Old 23rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
Yes, I expect that you can run 256 channels at 44/48k over a 1Gb interface. We never tested this as we are running 192k only.

The CPU hit is moderate, only during the connection initiation we see an increase (that goes down again), the latest AVB drivers in OSX have been improving a lot.
On the other hand we are running 12-core MacPro's @3,5GHz..
We noticed some channel limitations with MacMini's, but no where near you are requiring.
Thank you so much, balijon.

If you're willing to quantify "moderate", I'd really appreciate it, mate. Running twin 5680s here (upgraded 2012 8-core Mac with the 6C Xeons), so it's 12C @ 3.33GHz. I'm figuring I'll be able to transfer your guesstimate/s directly to what I could expect from my machine. Need as much horsepower for Digital Performer and CPU-heavy VIs as possible, obviously, so I'm just trying to get a rough idea.

You've come closer than anyone else to providing me with something tangible I can chew on, so please, don't stop there, brother! Thanks mate.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Thank you so much, balijon.

If you're willing to quantify "moderate", I'd really appreciate it, mate. Running twin 5680s here (upgraded 2012 8-core Mac with the 6C Xeons), so it's 12C @ 3.33GHz. I'm figuring I'll be able to transfer your guesstimate/s directly to what I could expect from my machine. Need as much horsepower for Digital Performer and CPU-heavy VIs as possible, obviously, so I'm just trying to get a rough idea.

You've come closer than anyone else to providing me with something tangible I can chew on, so please, don't stop there, brother! Thanks mate.
Nice setup Monkey Man! well equipped to handle AVB-ethernet.

The good thing is, that after the connection session, the AVB-related CPU-load remains fairly stable/constant. (and does not really depend on streams/channels having payload or not).
I will make some screenshots next week, this will take a few days as I am currently travelling.

Our next step is running two Sonnet ethernet-card's in aggregate-device-mode to get [email protected] (the goal is [email protected])
We are looking into the latest Intel 10Gb interfaces (for 10Gb connecting to our Extreme Networks X440-AVB switches) that should support all the needed functionality for AVB, but of course drivers for OSX will become an issue. We hope that Time Sensitive Networking (AVB rebranding) will initiate more market leverage. Compared to Dante/Ravenna/AES67, AVB is still the better networking protocol.
We are testing Harrison Mixbus at 192k, that is also very CPU-hungry..
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

You're a star, balijon.

Thank you so much, mate. I very-much look forward to hearing / seeing the specifics of CPU demand on your system.

Woo-bloody-hoo!
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
After months of consideration, I decided to add a 2nd 16A to my MB Pro rig to help neatly manage my growing outboard collection. The first 16A is connected to the Mac via Thunderbolt, while the 2nd unit is connected to the first 16A via the network port. When I was first firing everything up, I had the 2nd 16A initially connected only to the Mac through the network port, while the first 16A remained connected by Thunderbolt. I notice the layout to be a little different in the discovery app depending on which way I did it, but without spending any time on comparing the difference, I just went with the recommended default setup for those with 2 AVB interface units. (one via TB, the other connected to the 1st via the network port). If anybody could enlighten or repeat their thoughts on whether there's any particular reason to favor one over the other, I would greatly appreciate it.

I keep a rack on each end of my desk (left side, right side), where each side now has it’s own 16A, with gear being divided for my optimal workflow whether tracking or mixing. I’ve set aside a pair of outs for my monitors setup, and another pair for tracking on headphones. Of the remaining 28 analog outs, 24 of them will use inputs/outputs in Cubase 9 Pro as hardware inserts, with the final 4 analog outs feeding the external SC on a RND Portico II MBP, and API 2500, in order to key in the compressor input on that track from another source while in the analog realm.

Even though i’ve had the first 16A for over 2 years and had a good idea what to expect, I am slowly starting to realize that there are far greater routing possibilities than I initially anticipated, and am just figuring things out through trial and error since I couldn’t find any tech links on the MOTU site that was able to address some of the nuances more specific to my own situation. It almost seems as if I can send AVB inputs from one unit’s physical ins/outs directly to the other unit’s analog outs, without even needing to have them sent to the to/from computer 1,2,3 etc. channels on the other unit? I’m going to need to spend more time visualizing this, even after owning it over 2 years to fully grasp all the different things the 2nd unit makes me capable of doing now.

If anybody who likewise works with 2 AVB units in order to mostly use the ins/outs on both as DAW hardware inserts had any other insights they could share, hopefully i’m not the only one interested in hearing about it.
Hi

You are right AVB routing has many possibilities.

If you are using Mac OS with 2 Thunderbolt ports available, you can connect both 16As to the same computer and create an aggregate device. This will ensure that whatever hardware is connected to either of the 16As can send and receive audio to and from the DAW at the best latency. (This is why I always wished they included dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining several AVB interfaces)

Secondly after connecting both to the computer via Thunderbolt, I would link both interfaces together directly or through a switch via AVB. Now You can send audio directly between the two interfaces.

Thunderbolt is the fastest way to send and receive audio to and from the computer.
ADAT is the fastest way to route audio between interfaces that are close to each other.
AVB is the fastest way to route audio between devices that are far from each other. Using several switches every 100meters, devices can be something like 700 meters apart with only 0.625 ms latency at 48 kHz.

Examples of routing audio between interfaces

Analog In from Interface on the left to ADAT out on Interface on the left<-> ADAT Out on Interface on the left to ADAT In on Interface on the right<-> ADAT In on interface on the right to Analog out on Interface on the right.

Analog In from Interface on the left to AVB out on Interface on the left<-> AVB Out on Interface on the left to AVB In on Interface on the right<-> ADAT In on interface on the right to Analog out on Interface on the right.

If you have a single Thunderbolt port available on you computer, then connect one of the 16As to your computer, this becomes your master. Connect the other 16A to the master via ADAT or AVB. Audio from the slave 16A has to be sent to the Master 16A first before it is received by the DAW.
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
Hi

You are right AVB routing has many possibilities.

If you are using Mac OS with 2 Thunderbolt ports available, you can connect both 16As to the same computer and create an aggregate device. This will ensure that whatever hardware is connected to either of the 16As can send and receive audio to and from the DAW at the best latency. (This is why I always wished they included dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining several AVB interfaces)

Secondly after connecting both to the computer via Thunderbolt, I would link both interfaces together directly or through a switch via AVB. Now You can send audio directly between the two interfaces.

Thunderbolt is the fastest way to send and receive audio to and from the computer.
ADAT is the fastest way to route audio between interfaces that are close to each other.
AVB is the fastest way to route audio between devices that are far from each other. Using several switches every 100meters, devices can be something like 700 meters apart with only 0.625 ms latency at 48 kHz.

Examples of routing audio between interfaces

Analog In from Interface on the left to ADAT out on Interface on the left<-> ADAT Out on Interface on the left to ADAT In on Interface on the right<-> ADAT In on interface on the right to Analog out on Interface on the right.

Analog In from Interface on the left to AVB out on Interface on the left<-> AVB Out on Interface on the left to AVB In on Interface on the right<-> ADAT In on interface on the right to Analog out on Interface on the right.

If you have a single Thunderbolt port available on you computer, then connect one of the 16As to your computer, this becomes your master. Connect the other 16A to the master via ADAT or AVB. Audio from the slave 16A has to be sent to the Master 16A first before it is received by the DAW.

Thank you for the insight; that’s good stuff. One question, though: I’ve read that connecting both interfaces to the computer (either both Thunderbolt or one TB and the other USB) was cautioned against by MOTU, but perhaps that’s no longer an issue since the 1.2.5 firmware update?

That may be an obsolete issue, because they used to say the same thing about leaving the interface connected to the computer through the network connection. While I remember this indeed being a problem, it was eventually sorted out with one of the updates in 2015, i believe, and hasn’t been any problem since then. However, this wasn’t updated in all their tips and manuals, so it’s very possible that connecting both interfaces through either USB or TB is likewise not the issue that it once was.
Old 1st May 2017
Gear Maniac

16a adat kemper

my 16a is connected via adat to 2 behringer ada8000/8200.

My kemper profiling amp outputs to one of the behringer and then adat to the 16a

When recording i get digital noise bursts from the adat connection. Only when recording. When just playback, no problems. i've tried both behringer devices and get the same behavior.

This leads me to believe it's either the 16a or the computer. Likely a sync issue between the adat devices.

Any suggestions?
Old 2nd May 2017
tft
Gear Nut

did you set the sync source of the 16a to "adat input"? or what are the sync settings of the two devices in your setup?
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Maniac

The 16a is set as master
The behringer ada8200 is set as adat slave
The behringer shows a locked indicator which means adat clocked from master

As a further test, in motu routing matrix I sent a mono audio signal out From Computer 17 and made a new track with the input set to To Computer 17 and recorded a pass. The new audio also has the digital noise bursts.
I have opened a case with motu support, but they are pretty slow to respond
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryrocks View Post
The 16a is set as master
The behringer ada8200 is set as adat slave
The behringer shows a locked indicator which means adat clocked from master

As a further test, in motu routing matrix I sent a mono audio signal out From Computer 17 and made a new track with the input set to To Computer 17 and recorded a pass. The new audio also has the digital noise bursts.
I have opened a case with motu support, but they are pretty slow to respond
Try using word clock to sync the behringer. My mackie blackbird had issues syncing from just the adat signal on my motu 16A, so I used word clock to sync instead of just adat alone and it fixed everything.
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Addict

Building a new PC and using a MOTU 16a and running Nuendo. Should I stay with Windows 7, or finally move to Windows 10? I'm wondering about reliability with hardware, drivers, and of course plug-ins under Windows 10. Any good or bad experiences you'd care to share, and whether you feel its safe to move to W10 yet, or is it better to stay with W7.
Old 16th May 2017
Gear Nut

So I decided to connect my 2nd 16A by the Thunderbolt as well, that way I could use it as an Aggregate Device, with the logic that wouldn’t have any differences in the ping latency (as opposed to having the 2nd 16A only connected to the first 16A via Cat6e cable), and thinking that it would be less of a clusterphuck when trying to figure out which channel is which when making my connections in Cubase 9 Pro. And after fooling with it for several hours, I still can’t get my outboard connected this way for the 2nd 16A. I tried to change the clock master, first from keeping it with the first 16A, to having both 16A’s on the “Internal” option, but this made no difference. I still have the two devices connected via the network cable, and haven’t tried to see if I could get it in this aggregate configuration by disconnecting that and just running both 16A’s separate, connected only to the Mac, both by the Thunderbolt port. I guess my expectations were not right, because I really expected this to become a lot easier by connecting them both by Thunderbolt, but now i’m not even sure if it’s worth trying to do this, or where to begin to try and correct this, sans just ditching the dual Thunderbolt setup entirely and going back to running the 2nd 16A connected only to the first 16A, and just getting used to the mismatch in ping latencies.

Does anybody have an idea where I probably ought to go from here in doing the dual Thunderbolt setup for connecting outboard within Cubase 9? The only way I can access both 16A’s is by using an Aggregate setup, but it doesn’t seem to be working the way I had hoped.
Old 16th May 2017
Lives for gear

Call MOTU?

Quote:
So I decided to connect my 2nd 16A by the Thunderbolt as well, that way I could use it as an Aggregate Device, with the logic that wouldn’t have any differences in the ping latency (as opposed to having the 2nd 16A only connected to the first 16A via Cat6e cable), and thinking that it would be less of a clusterphuck when trying to figure out which channel is which when making my connections in Cubase 9 Pro. And after fooling with it for several hours, I still can’t get my outboard connected this way for the 2nd 16A. I tried to change the clock master, first from keeping it with the first 16A, to having both 16A’s on the “Internal” option, but this made no difference. I still have the two devices connected via the network cable, and haven’t tried to see if I could get it in this aggregate configuration by disconnecting that and just running both 16A’s separate, connected only to the Mac, both by the Thunderbolt port. I guess my expectations were not right, because I really expected this to become a lot easier by connecting them both by Thunderbolt, but now i’m not even sure if it’s worth trying to do this, or where to begin to try and correct this, sans just ditching the dual Thunderbolt setup entirely and going back to running the 2nd 16A connected only to the first 16A, and just getting used to the mismatch in ping latencies.

Does anybody have an idea where I probably ought to go from here in doing the dual Thunderbolt setup for connecting outboard within Cubase 9? The only way I can access both 16A’s is by using an Aggregate setup, but it doesn’t seem to be working the way I had hoped.
Old 16th May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Call MOTU?
Thanks, but I don’t think that’s going to be necessary. Eventually, I realized that although I wasn’t able to get the signal to show in the Network Connections (F4) diagram, I was able to add it as an insert in the project window and then get a signal when I would ping it from there. However, it would not calculate the latency like it would for the first 16A, which leads me to believe this is an issue with Cubase and not MOTU. I’ll report back if I end up finding an end solution.

Just in case anybody reading this was curious.
Old 16th May 2017
Quote:

I've had my 2 16As connected via CAT for a few years now. Ping latency and connections are non issues. When tracking multiple mics on at the same time, use one unit. Naming connections and routing is a breeze in Routing Matrix (once you get the hang of it). I would think clocking would be more stable this way too.
Old 16th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Motu has determined my unit to be broken and I was just within the 2 year warrenty, so i should be getting a new unit in about a week.
Old 17th May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
I've had my 2 16As connected via CAT for a few years now. Ping latency and connections are non issues. When tracking multiple mics on at the same time, use one unit. Naming connections and routing is a breeze in Routing Matrix (once you get the hang of it). I would think clocking would be more stable this way too.
Yeah, i’m definitely heading back that direction now. I was really just curious more than anything about trying the dual Thunderbolt setup. I think it has potential, but for now, keeping 1 connected to the Mac via TB, and the 2nd 16A connection to the 1st 16A via the CAT6e network cable is the right way to go. The difference in ping latency shouldn’t have any degradation in function. It’s really just aesthetically unpleasing to look at, which isn’t usually the right place to direct too much attention.

I thought about just getting a 32 analog I/O interface instead of adding a 2nd 16A, but there’s definitely some good potential here, and I think this setup could definitely get a few good years out of it.
Old 17th May 2017
Gear Nut

Last thing, I was wondering how you label your busses through the web app in order to get everything named coherently. All too often, I cannot seem to figure out why it will only say Out (multiple destinations), and how to consistently get it fixed. It just seems to take up more time than it should to fix it. I’m probably doing something wrong, but maybe somebody has a good tip n trick to share?
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

Labels seem to work fine for me in the AVB app, once you figure out what the best meaningful label is across all windows. I have not had any luck getting labels within DP to stick and say anything meaningful, I see outputs that say (multiple destinations) when they aren't, things I've changed that did stick, and others that reset. Been that way since day 1 of MOTU AVB.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Nut

It seems that when I’m getting the “Out (multiple destinations)” label in my DAW (Cubase) and Audio Midi Setup (on Mac), one way i’m able to fix that is to label the top “inputs” columns while in the Routing Tab. However, this doesn’t seem to always work. I think it depends on whether or not i’m sending that particular channel into the mixer, but when trying to test this it’s not always a surefire fix. It’s not a real big deal or anything, just an OCD thing that can get kind of annoying.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head
I've been using the 16A pretty much since the day it came out via a thunderbolt connection on my Hackintosh.
One of the downsides of using thunderbolt on a Hackintosh is that it's not hot swappable, meaning i have to have the MOTU powered on before I turn on the computer.
While this is not really a problem, about 50% of the time the MOTU says: "LOW POWER DETECTED - REBOOTING" whenever i boot up my computer. And the 16A automatically reboots.
So when my computer boots it doesn't work, but after a reboot it does. So it's only at cold boot.

Once it works, it's very stable, i absolute love it, never had a crash.

Wondering if anyone else had this too, and maybe if someone from MOTU could comment on this?
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Nut

I’ve personally never had that happen on my own 16A in the 2+ years i’ve had it, but i’m using Mac hardware, which might be the difference. I’d definitely check with MOTU about that, because i’m not even sure i’ve heard anybody report that error since i’ve started following this thread back in 2015.
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Head
well i use the 16A in the studio only, I also own a ultralite AVB which I use on stage with a macbook pro retina, and it has never happened on that one.
My feeling is that it is the hackintosh as well, but since it's "windows" hardware so to speak, i was wondering if there and maybe windows users who use it with a thunderbolt connection who've had the same issue?
Old 18th May 2017
Gear Maniac

My 16a had the low power indication about 3 times before i started getting digital bursts randomly across all tracks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search