The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 25th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncansound View Post
Don't worry it's not just you, that compressor has the worst make up gain implementation I've ever used, it's baffling to me that they haven't fixed it yet by offering an option to turn off the make up gain. It's the only showstopper keeping me from being able to mix shows with my live recording rig
Thanks for your post! At least I know its not me operating it incorrectly...
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

Yes.

The compressor has to be fixed. The bizarre implementation of auto gain makes it practically unusable.
Old 25th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Also, am I doing something wrong or the reverb is not so good?
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

I detailed the horrible compressor design probably a hundred pages back, nearly 3 years ago. Can't believe it's unchanged.
Old 26th March 2017
tft
Gear Nut

aargh ... so true

me and probably a lot of other people requested it (even here in this thread) to be switchable (automakeupgain).
guess they have abandoned to think further about that ...
when i asked about the reverb, which i find less than ideal for monitoring/mixing purposes, i got the answer: "the one who programmed it likes it ..."
maybe that's the same with the compressor? don't know ...
it seems that person does not want to hear feedback from us, so we probably have to get used to it.
Old 26th March 2017
tft
Gear Nut

wow

the fast responses here regarding this should tell them ...
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Maniac

I love my MOTU Ultralite AVB...

but the reverb sucks
Old 26th March 2017
Lives for gear

I asked a rep about it at NAMM this year, I got that exact same response, "the designer likes it". The rep I talked to said he would pass my complaints along. I just can't believe anybody would like that auto-gain implementation, it's baffling, it kind of scares me that the designer likes it that way to be honest lol. I agree the verb is awful too, I use an external verb even just for headphone cue mixes. That one's not a showstopper for me, I have external reverbs, but I could see it being a showstopper for other people
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncansound View Post
I asked a rep about it at NAMM this year, I got that exact same response, "the designer likes it". The rep I talked to said he would pass my complaints along. I just can't believe anybody would like that auto-gain implementation, it's baffling, it kind of scares me that the designer likes it that way to be honest lol.
I just wrote them a long email explaining exactly why it sucks and that they please should consider making the makeup-gain optional. Maybe if we all write one, they will at least consider it?

Honestly though, how on earth does such a designer/programer/dsp-guy even get a job? I mean come on, my first year bachelor colleagues can program a usable compressor, how is it possible, that a long-standing company like motu manages to **** that basic stuff up? That just grinds my gears...
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Motu if you are reading this...(and I know you are) you must upgrade your reverb and compressor. They are not on par with the rest of the AVB software.

Maybe you can invite the designer here and he can tell us why does he like them?
Old 27th March 2017
tft
Gear Nut

yes, at least a good explanation on why the current implementation of autogain and the existing reverb are favored would be great.

but i fear, it was just thrown out at the beginning without much in depth realworld-testing (it should have been obvious otherwise).
and now the importance to really iron out the flaws is not very high on the list, even if they are aware of the issues.
idk, just guessing around.
times were better when mr. miller was really talking to users here in this thread and not just a rep coming up here every now and then.
soooo, are you aware of what we are complaining here motu???
Old 27th March 2017
tft
Gear Nut

here is the place to send suggestions on the motu website:

MOTU.com - Suggestion Box

so everybody who wants to see changes, maybe write there also.
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
yes, at least a good explanation on why the current implementation of autogain and the existing reverb are favored would be great.

but i fear, it was just thrown out at the beginning without much in depth realworld-testing (it should have been obvious otherwise).
and now the importance to really iron out the flaws is not very high on the list, even if they are aware of the issues.
idk, just guessing around.
times were better when mr. miller was really talking to users here in this thread and not just a rep coming up here every now and then.
soooo, are you aware of what we are complaining here motu???

I have to second those sentiments. The fellow known as mr.miller was excellent about answering questions in a thorough and timely manner. Ever since he moved on to bigger and better things, I can only say with regret that the scabs used to cover for that opening have been fantastically worthless, and leaves us longing for mr.miller to make a heroic cameo appearance here and again to justify me not removing the alerts informing of new posts on this thread.
Old 29th March 2017
Here for the gear

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to connect my Genelec 8351 via SPDIF? I know I need a converter box of some sort but there's hundreds of options.. Im quite overwhelmed.

Using a 1248.

Thanks!
Old 29th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumeu View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction on how to connect my Genelec 8351 via SPDIF? I know I need a converter box of some sort but there's hundreds of options.. Im quite overwhelmed.

Using a 1248.

Thanks!
There's some level difference between SPDIF and AES3, but vast majority of AES receivers handle lower levels without any issues, so it should be working just with adapter cable with RCA to XLR male.
Shield gets connected to pin 3 and hot get connected to pin 2.
Maybe someone sell those, I've always made such cables by myself from bulk digital coaxial cable.

If you would like to do also impedance matching, then you can get appropriate transformer by Neutrik.
NADITBNC-M - Neutrik

Input there is at BNC connector, so likely you'd need to get also appropriate adapter like this.. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4121
Then you'll just connect SPDIF RCA-RCA cable from MOTU to Neutrik and XLR terminated AES cable to first Genelec speaker in the chain.

Those passive transformers works very reliably and I have never experienced any issues with them.
RE digitally fed Genelec SAM monitors.. if you'd like to control volume after DA conversion in monitors, then you'll need GLM interface and their 9310A controller.

Michal
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Maniac

So what working Windows/Thunderbolt setups have people got here?
Old 29th March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulley View Post

Me!

1248 with windows thunderbolt or usb - USB seems to be less buggy but both work. 24ao via avb from the 1248. all is great
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofishy View Post
Me!

1248 with windows thunderbolt or usb - USB seems to be less buggy but both work. 24ao via avb from the 1248. all is great
Super. what motherboard/thunderbolt card?
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Super. what motherboard/thunderbolt card?

Dell xps 15 with a usb-c/thunderbolt input. I have an adapter that goes from thunderbolt 3 (i believe) to original thunderbolt to connect to the interface.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hJgaAvkh8P8HAQ

something like that
Old 30th March 2017
Gear Nut
We appreciate your feedback regarding the reverb and the auto makeup gain in the compressor. We’re planning to introduce an auto makeup gain switch (to toggle it on/off) in the next firmware update. I don’t have a release date to share with you yet, but I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we do. Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
We appreciate your feedback regarding the reverb and the auto makeup gain in the compressor. We’re planning to introduce an auto makeup gain switch (to toggle it on/off) in the next firmware update. I don’t have a release date to share with you yet, but I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we do. Thanks again for your feedback.
Thanks Travis, do you think any change will be made to the reverb?
Old 31st March 2017
tft
Gear Nut

good to hear!
thanks for listening!

i am also interested to hear about the reverb.
Old 31st March 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for listening!
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is excellent news !

Much appreciated.
Old 3rd April 2017
Quote:
Our X3 series work fine with RME UFX+, MOTU AVB, Focusrite Clarett and UA Apollo.
Old 3rd April 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone tried a HP Spectre 360 with success (I'm debating buying one to use strictly for capturing multitrack audio)?

Also, I'm having a helluva time trying to keep all my routing straight between a 24ai, 1248, and 16M. If I enable/disable an output on one interface, e.g. labeled correctly as "Strymon Timeline", on another interface it just says "In 27-28". Just general routing between all devices turns into spaghetti quickly, partly because it's limited to 48ch per interface so I have a lot of back and forth for submixing.

Finally -- are the line level trims providing digital or analog gain? I have a couple weak line level devices that could use a volume boost, but I'd prefer to stay all analog. Before I add some preamps/clean boosts in the pipeline I wanted to see if anyone had ideas how the line level trim boost works, because when I crank it something sounds off to me.
Old 4th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Anyone tried a HP Spectre 360 with success (I'm debating buying one to use strictly for capturing multitrack audio)?

Also, I'm having a helluva time trying to keep all my routing straight between a 24ai, 1248, and 16M. If I enable/disable an output on one interface, e.g. labeled correctly as "Strymon Timeline", on another interface it just says "In 27-28". Just general routing between all devices turns into spaghetti quickly, partly because it's limited to 48ch per interface so I have a lot of back and forth for submixing.

Finally -- are the line level trims providing digital or analog gain? I have a couple weak line level devices that could use a volume boost, but I'd prefer to stay all analog. Before I add some preamps/clean boosts in the pipeline I wanted to see if anyone had ideas how the line level trim boost works, because when I crank it something sounds off to me.
The input trims are analog, I have a couple tube mics that go straight into the 16A line inputs on drums and get trimmed back there.
Old 17th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quick question re the DSP mixer housed within every AVB interface:

I have recently purchased the Monitor 8 and am waiting for it to arrive. I noticed that on the "Mixing" tab of the monitor 8 product page that panning individual channels in an aux mix seemingly wasn't supported.

However - I checked the one of the latest interfaces product page (the 8a) and it seems that on the "Mixing" tab panning is supported in aux mixes.

My question is as follows:

Are all the updated features seen in later interfaces such as the 8a software based and will I be able to make use of them on the Monitor 8 by updating drivers/firmware? Another feature that seems to have been updated is the Eq GUI - resembling the Fab Filter plugin more as opposed to using the console style 'knob' design.
Old 17th April 2017
Gear Nut
Karim S,

This feature was added after the Monitor 8 came out. It has been added to the Monitor 8's firmware as well, so you will be able to use it. Panning can be toggled on and off in the Aux Mixing page of the web app.
Old 17th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Karim S,

This feature was added after the Monitor 8 came out. It has been added to the Monitor 8's firmware as well, so you will be able to use it. Panning can be toggled on and off in the Aux Mixing page of the web app.
Thank you very much! I assumed that older models would be supported as newer features were added to firmware - good to hear about the compressor fix incoming too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search