The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 5th March 2017
tft
Gear Nut

how about an implementation of this:
VB-Audio Network

it's a professional protocol already working on windows, iOS and android.

we'll probably never see an implementation of avb in windows, so this would bridge the gap.
and also open myriads of other possibilities with streaming over wifi to ios and android.

it's free to implement for any developer.
Old 5th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
I just released 4 tunes this week...

These 4 songs as well as my last two albums, were cut with the MOTU 16A....
Awesome work (again) Peter. Very clean, but still warm sounding. Kind of has an old Neil Young feel to it. Which I love.

My group just released a new song with video as well, recorded and mixed on MOTU 16As. This is a one off, won't be on any album. The current political situation here in the U.S. prompted an immediate release.

It went through two passes, one for capture, one mixed through the console back (Vari-Mu & Clariphonic on inserts) to a stereo track. I'm pretty sure my mastering guy ran it through another pass of his Orion too.

I recorded, mixed, played drums, guitar, vibes, and back-up vocals. Didem Somel, our leader, sang, played piano, Rhodes, violin, viola, and cello. Glen Anderson is on upright bass.

Been very happy with 16As. Toying with the idea of getting a B2 Bomber for 2 bus capture, but not sure it'll be worth it.

Old 5th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Awesome work (again) Peter. Very clean, but still warm sounding. Kind of has an old Neil Young feel to it. Which I love.

My group just released a new song with video as well, recorded and mixed on MOTU 16As. This is a one off, won't be on any album. The current political situation here in the U.S. prompted an immediate release.

It went through two passes, one for capture, one mixed through the console back (Vari-Mu & Clariphonic on inserts) to a stereo track. I'm pretty sure my mastering guy ran it through another pass of his Orion too.

I recorded, mixed, played drums, guitar, vibes, and back-up vocals. Didem Somel, our leader, sang, played piano, Rhodes, violin, viola, and cello. Glen Anderson is on upright bass.

Been very happy with 16As. Toying with the idea of getting a B2 Bomber for 2 bus capture, but not sure it'll be worth it.

Hey Robby

thats really great... wonderful playing and arranging... really great.

The 16A is really capable of great audio.

I have also wondered about capturing the mix via something else... but other than a different colour, I decided its not going to add enough to justify the price... 8)

cheers

Wiz
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Nut

I used to be pretty adamant about daisy chaining my hardware as much as possible to minimize additional AD/DA conversions in my 16A, but now I keep them patched into the 16A to be used as inserts in Cubase since I couldn't discern any degradation in quality. I wondered if perhaps my hearing just wasn't well tuned, but it sounds like i'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion.
Old 6th March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
I used to be pretty adamant about daisy chaining my hardware as much as possible to minimize additional AD/DA conversions in my 16A, but now I keep them patched into the 16A to be used as inserts in Cubase since I couldn't discern any degradation in quality. I wondered if perhaps my hearing just wasn't well tuned, but it sounds like i'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion.
I have the1248 which I believe has similar (or the exact same) AD converter as the 16a. I find that I loose some bottom end and it becomes mushy sounding if I print a final mix with the 1248 converters. Compared to a high-end AD converter the difference is far more than subtle
Old 6th March 2017
Is anyone using a 8A in conjunction with a 16A and Running Logic 10.3.1?

I am just wondering about your experiences, and if its working great for you.

I am considering adding a 8A.

How do you define, which pair of outputs become the main outs?

cheers

Wiz
Old 7th March 2017
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofishy View Post
I have the1248 which I believe has similar (or the exact same) AD converter as the 16a. I find that I loose some bottom end and it becomes mushy sounding if I print a final mix with the 1248 converters. Compared to a high-end AD converter the difference is far more than subtle
Would you mind posting say a 30 second clip of this (1248 vs other ADC you prefer) with mention of how much headroom you're working with for each? I'm curious, as something definitely sounds off here.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Is anyone using a 8A in conjunction with a 16A and Running Logic 10.3.1?

I am just wondering about your experiences, and if its working great for you.

I am considering adding a 8A.

How do you define, which pair of outputs become the main outs?

cheers

Wiz
I should have this very configuration setup in the next couple of days (waiting delivery of the 8A, expected this afternoon). Planning to have outputs 1-2 on the 8A go to main monitors and 16A connected via CAT-5. Will report back if I run into any hiccups....
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Would you mind posting say a 30 second clip of this (1248 vs other ADC you prefer) with mention of how much headroom you're working with for each? I'm curious, as something definitely sounds off here.
Sure... give me a day as I am not with my equiptment right now.

I am not saying the converters are bad on the 1248 (they are very good - particulary the DA) but I do think some information gets lost on the ADC and I wouldn't use it for mastering or final mix printing if given the choice.

That being said, one can still get great results with it!
Old 7th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagpass View Post
I should have this very configuration setup in the next couple of days (waiting delivery of the 8A, expected this afternoon). Planning to have outputs 1-2 on the 8A go to main monitors and 16A connected via CAT-5. Will report back if I run into any hiccups....
If you could that would be great!

thanks very much

cheers

Wiz
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
If you could that would be great!

thanks very much

cheers

Wiz
The 8A arrived just a short while ago. Had the whole thing unboxed and setup in just a few minutes (after the required firmware update routine). Took a bit of effort to get the AVB streams headed over to the 8A's outputs properly -- only because I sometimes get lost within the routing tab, especially with so many connections available... but so far so good.

Having the 8A as a "satellite expander" for my setup has allowed me to connect the interface to my iMac via Thunderbolt (the 16A is too far away for standard-length Thunderbolt cables), and has given me the much needed headphone jack that the 16A lacks. The 16A is connected via a 15-foot CAT5/6 cable.

The AVB streaming works great once I wrapped my head around getting the channels routed, and no discernible latency in my system. Haven't fully tested everything with my full Logic template yet -- have to get some of my hardware cabling re-routed before I can do more real-world testing. But I'm pretty happy with my first foray into the networking aspect of these devices, and wouldn't hesitate to consider another unit for additional expansion should I need the additional inputs later on down the road...
Old 10th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofishy View Post
I used USB2 for the first month of owning a PC after switching from mac. I used it with the 1248 and 24ao and although there is noticeably more (still minimal) latency, the computer seemed to handle it just fine. You have an SSD and fast Processor - should be fine.
Hellofishy, what buffer size were you running? I'm interested in the 16a, but am on windows and am not sure if it will work for me. usually Im on 128 samples while tracking and might bump it up for a big session while mixing. what do you do instead of usb now? did you get a thunderbolt pcie card? thanks!
Old 10th March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by declol View Post
Hellofishy, what buffer size were you running? I'm interested in the 16a, but am on windows and am not sure if it will work for me. usually Im on 128 samples while tracking and might bump it up for a big session while mixing. what do you do instead of usb now? did you get a thunderbolt pcie card? thanks!
Hi declol,

On usb I usd 512 or 1024. On thunderbolt I generally use 256 - Sometimes 512. Bitwig seems to be a bit worse at handling smaller buffer sizes, Reaper is better at it. Do you use 128 for tracking because of monitoring latency? If this is the case, the 16a can double as a monitoring tool. You can set near zero latency monitoring for your inputs in the AVB mixer. I generally always track this way now and rarely ever through the software unless I specifically want to use those plugins. The AVB mixer also has compression and EQ if this is important for monitoring (you can always route the effects to your DAW aswell, however I have never tried this)

My PC has a thunderbolt port. Its usb-c and thunderbolt 2 I think. Its the dell xps 15.
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Head

Hello guys, long time ago I wrote something here, but I read the posts.
Perhaps you can help me: I have been searching for a hum/noise source in the signal flow, and found a "short circuit" between the outputs "hot + ground" and "cold + ground". At the moment I can not log in on motu.com so I'll ask it here. Can someone take a minute and measure with a multimeter or a cable tester if there is a contact between hot+ground and cold+ground in the output section of the 1248?

I was about to send the device to the seller company, because I found this behaviour in the MonitorOuts .... but I checked the other outputs, there was the same behaviour, so I doubted whether this was an error. I called the seller company they said it could be normal, if there is no other device plugged in. Is this right?

Thanks in advance!
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Nut
Hi GGPS,

The outputs on this device are balanced, and we recommend using balanced connectors whenever possible. Should you need to connect the 1248 to an unbalanced input, use a balanced connector but leave the ring conductor unconnected. This is mentioned on page 50 of the manual (excerpt below).

1248 User Manual: https://s3.amazonaws.com/motu-www-da...User_Guide.pdf

"Quarter-inch analog outputs are not
cross-coupled. Therefore, when connecting them
to an unbalanced input, use a TRS plug with the
ring disconnected. Not floating the negative
terminal will short it to the sleeve ground and
cause distortion."

I hope this helps!
Old 13th March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
Hi GGPS,

The outputs on this device are balanced, and we recommend using balanced connectors whenever possible. Should you need to connect the 1248 to an unbalanced input, use a balanced connector but leave the ring conductor unconnected. This is mentioned on page 50 of the manual (excerpt below).

1248 User Manual: https://s3.amazonaws.com/motu-www-da...User_Guide.pdf

"Quarter-inch analog outputs are not
cross-coupled. Therefore, when connecting them
to an unbalanced input, use a TRS plug with the
ring disconnected. Not floating the negative
terminal will short it to the sleeve ground and
cause distortion."

I hope this helps!
Thanks, I know this. But can you tell me if the measurement behaviour, described above, is normal?

EDIT:

Motu tech support wrote me: " the hardware development team [..] assured me that this is expected behavior. You will see some small measurable amount of connectivity between these pins. "
so everything ist fine ;-)
Old 15th March 2017
Here for the gear

I think I'm gonna get two 8a and connect them instead so I can have 16 ins/outs and use usb 3 instead of trying to get thunderbolt to work with my PC. this should work, right?
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Addict

This thread is so long - I've read as much as I can but can't get a straight answer...

Could someone please tell me the answer to the following:

If I connect any of the MOTU AVB enabled interfaces from the AVB ethernet port on the interface directly to a PCIe AVB enabled ethernet card in a modern PC running Windows 10 will I get full channel count and be able to access interface with ASIO as normal from Ableton Live without any of the other interface options/USB?thunderbolt connected? If so will I be able to achieve low latency?

Thank you in advance.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Charles, latency over ethernet is approximately double that of USB, which itself is more than double that of TB.

In short, around 8-9ms... IIRC.
Old 17th March 2017
Here for the gear
I've searched all around the thread but didn't find any information. If you already told it sorry, the thread i soooo long

I'm thinking getting a MOTU 8m. Does anyone ever tried? What's your opinion about pres/converters? (I heard they're different from the 1248's). What about V-Limit function? is it really helpful or more like a "decoy"?

And what about DSP? is it powerful enough, for example to manage a live situation? (let's say for example to add an EQ and a compressor on each in and one reverb).
Is it good-sounding?

Thank youuu
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdrammaturgo View Post
I've searched all around the thread but didn't find any information. If you already told it sorry, the thread i soooo long

I'm thinking getting a MOTU 8m. Does anyone ever tried? What's your opinion about pres/converters? (I heard they're different from the 1248's). What about V-Limit function? is it really helpful or more like a "decoy"?

And what about DSP? is it powerful enough, for example to manage a live situation? (let's say for example to add an EQ and a compressor on each in and one reverb).
Is it good-sounding?

Thank youuu
Can't speak on behalf of the 8m converters. I have the 1248. But the DSP is surely powerful enough for live situations I tend to use it when tracking
Old 17th March 2017
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCola View Post
This thread is so long - I've read as much as I can but can't get a straight answer...

Could someone please tell me the answer to the following:

If I connect any of the MOTU AVB enabled interfaces from the AVB ethernet port on the interface directly to a PCIe AVB enabled ethernet card in a modern PC running Windows 10 will I get full channel count and be able to access interface with ASIO as normal from Ableton Live without any of the other interface options/USB?thunderbolt connected? If so will I be able to achieve low latency?

Thank you in advance.
in windows you can't get audio over ethernet/avb, even with the avb enabled card. the problem ist not the hardware, but there is no audio-driver for it in windows. osx has it implemented since a while, windows not afaik. motu would have to write their own driver for that and i guess that's not priority (if in any way considered ...). there is usb 2/3 and now thunderbolt coming more and more on windows pcs. these have the lowest latency you can achieve atm, with thunderbolt being better than usb2. usb3 seems to be as capable as thunderbolt, but only the newest interfaces have it built in now.

after all this time i own my avb interface now (112D), it's pretty clear that for network audio dante is the better supported solution right now.
on the other hand you get usb and thunderbolt with most of the avb enabled interfaces of motu and the avb-interface can be used to easily extend your setup quite flexibly.
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Addict

Thank you very much for the info.
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Maniac

To those running the motu avb line in windows with thunderbolt, can you list your system specs? I am searching mainly for a motherboard that lets me try thunderbolt in windows with no problems.

Thanks!
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Asus sabertooth z97. Been using the 1248 in Windows for awhile with no issues. Runs great on 64/16.
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

Just a quickie update on the latest March 1, 2017 drivers... All is FIXED... YEA BABY!!! If you follow me, first off you're in trouble <lol!> secondly, I've had highly intermittent clicks with cycle sucking VSTi like Ivory, Ravenscroft 275, etc when all options are turned on.. Don't have to be recording for this, just playing would trigger it. Using buffer settings within the "live playable" range, did not change anything. Highly optimized DAW system (see siggie).. New driver fixed it all... Still running like a champ.. Samplitude X3-Pro, Reaper and even the CPU hog Studio One V3 run without a click.... I can load up say Ivory, balls out with options, hold down the sustain pedal and do glissando's all day long without a click and this is at 64 buffers and 16 safety buffers for a RTL of about 3.2ms using USB2.... On playback I can add Ozone 7, Fabfilter and still be able to work. Pretty amazing IMHO... To say I'm impressed is an understatement....

Oh yea, MOTU Ultralite AVB.
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone try using thunderbolt to connect to a windows laptop like a spectre or xps?
Old 24th March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Anyone try using thunderbolt to connect to a windows laptop like a spectre or xps?

Yup! I haev thunderbolt on my xps with the 1248. I will say the drivers cut out sometime (some issues with chrome) but overall it works.
Old 25th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Is it just me or is the compressor graph one of the worst designed compressor GUI's? I can't operate that thing at all and I've used a lot of compressors by now. Dont get me wrong, I have no issues with the sound but the handling is just awful. The make-up gain makes it impossible to dial in in a live situtaion, since pulling the threshold down even just by 5db, makes the makeup-gain go crazy and add at least 5db, even though I dont have one db of actual gain reduction going on yet. And as if that weren't enough, the threshold has to be pulled down so far (even on a properly gained channel) until the gain reduction sets in, that I'm getting at least 15-20 db of makeup gain, with maybe 3-4 db of gain reduction. Thats just annoying... Yeah I can then pull the gain down, but the constant switching between pulling your treshold down and adjusting the gain to compensate for the insane makeup-gain, makes the compressor effectively unusable in a live situation, especially if one is operating that GUI with a tocuscreen, which is hard enough without the stupid design decisions...

Sorry for the rant but that stuff makes me furious... Has nobody actually used that thing befoer shipping it to customers? For me it makes the otherwise awesome option of live-mixing with the built in mixer just a pain in the a.. and makes me consider selling that thing and getting a UAD interface. No AVB-awesomeness but at least I'll always be able to set up a compressor fast and easy...

And by the way, if I'm just not smart enough to use that thing correctly, please help me out and educate me!
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

Don't worry it's not just you, that compressor has the worst auto make up gain implementation I've ever used, it's baffling to me that they haven't fixed it yet by offering an option to turn off the auto make up gain. It's the only showstopper keeping me from being able to mix shows with my live recording rig

Last edited by duncansound; 25th March 2017 at 02:54 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search