The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
You don't even need the ethernet, if it's TB or USB connected you have access. Once you have that, you have access via wifi connected iPad or iphone.
Since I'm on PC, TB driver isn't available yet, and I don't want to use USB connection since their USB driver is sort of buggy. I'll be using it purely as AD/DA converter in the meantime, by connecting to RME HDSP9652 ADAT. That's why I want to connect the network cable from the PC that houses HDSP to the MOTU unit via crossover cable. This is for 'portable' rig, so I also don't want to carry router with the rig. Sorry, I didn't elaborate my needs, but your helps are great.

What I anticipate is the improvement of AD/DA conversion from my M-Audio converter, but how much I can hear the sonic difference is...well, let's see.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Thanks for posting this -
How did you come up with these values??

I hope they are wrong because the TB latency would be a huge miss. Should have been (at buffer =32) 64 samples DAW in/out + at most 32 samples from interface. 96 samples is the number we are all hoping for - 205 - big disappointment if true.
I simply plugged a mic into an interface input; routed that input to a record enabled track; routed the output of that track to an interface output; plugged that output into another interface input; routed that input to another record enabled track; then I hit record and tapped on the mic. Then I measured the distance between the two resulting waveforms. Delay compensation was off of course. So this is full round trip measurement through the DAW, which is why the buffer comes into play.

Thunderbolt isn't going to change the latency much, as the converters are the same and the buffer is the biggest culprit. It may make a difference in stability at buffer 32 though...
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTools View Post
I simply plugged a mic into an interface input; routed that input to a record enabled track; routed the output of that track to an interface output; plugged that output into another interface input; routed that input to another record enabled track; then I hit record and tapped on the mic. Then I measured the distance between the two resulting waveforms. Delay compensation was off of course. So this is full round trip measurement through the DAW, which is why the buffer comes into play.
It seems reasonable but I will have to double check this. Delay compensation is for plugins - not interfaces. The software will still mess with you and put the waveform where it thinks it should based on the interface used and the reported delay. If this is done twice for two inputs does it cancel out?? Maybe.

Quote:
Thunderbolt isn't going to change the latency much, as the converters are the same and the buffer is the biggest culprit. It may make a difference in stability at buffer 32 though...
At very low buffers I disagree. THe USB on/off the bus delay can easily be 2ms to 4ms total. This is why the lowest RTL for these devices is usually around 5ms at 32. 1.11ms for buffers, 2ms for converters, 2ms (at best) for Data on/off the bus.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
It seems reasonable but I will have to double check this. Delay compensation is for plugins - not interfaces. The software will still mess with you and put the waveform where it thinks it should based on the interface used and the reported delay. If this is done twice for two inputs does it cancel out?? Maybe.

At very low buffers I disagree. THe USB on/off the bus delay can easily be 2ms to 4ms total. This is why the lowest RTL for these devices is usually around 5ms at 32. 1.11ms for buffers, 2ms for converters, 2ms (at best) for Data on/off the bus.
Could all very well be as you say. I'm not even close to an armchair tech on a good day.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

You've also measured the delay through a second interface incoming path, no?
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:

doesn't work this way, you didn't need to plug the output back into yet another input to measure latency, you're only adding another AD conversion by doing so.

Your software should tell you what the latency is somewhere in a control panel of sort (not sure what you're using so I can't help). it's fairly straight forward.
Old 13th August 2014
Hey everyone! My name's Michael Miller and I'm a member of the engineering team at MOTU working on these interfaces. We're really excited to finally show you what we've been up to the past few years. I wanted to join the discussion and try to answer any questions you might have. So, fire away!

We’ve posted a FAQ on our site that answers a bunch of common questions: MOTU.com - AVB. That said, I wanted to respond to some of the questions that you’ve already posed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsteeno View Post
I'm guessing it's not actually making use of thunderbolt speeds (not that it really needs to) if it's working alongside USB2.
Definitely full Thunderbolt speeds. The Thunderbolt driver can handle 128 channels in and 128 out simultaneously at 1x and 2x sample rates. That's more channels than any one interface has physically but once you start using AVB, you could have a lot of channels coming in off the network.

The USB implementation is audio class-compliant. USB2 has less bandwidth than Thunderbolt so you’ll get fewer channels. If you don’t have Thunderbolt, though, or want to plug it into your tablet, it’s a great alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
In response to your previous post, to use more than one at a time you need a MOTU gigabit ethernet switch.
My guess is that they will work with whatever gigabit ethernet switch but who knows...
If you're using only two interfaces, you can daisy chain them without a switch. You could also connect a couple more over digital I/O. But otherwise, yes, you will need an AVB-capable switch, either ours or someone else’s. Check out the MOTU AVB FAQ for a more detailed discussion of how to connect up to four interfaces without using an AVB switch.

The networking requires AVB-capable network switches—traditional gigabit switches won’t cut it. AVB is a layer 2 protocol (unlike Dante and Ravenna) with very strict guarantees on latency— sub 2ms with up to seven hops for standard AVB; even lower for MOTU gear at 0.625ms. Every device participating in the AVB network has a high-quality clock that it uses to synchronize against other devices. As well, AVB traffic guarantees delivery by reserving bandwidth for streams and prioritizing traffic above non-audio traffic like web browsing. This requires special, AVB-capable hardware that has these clocks and supports the super-fast switching and prioritization. We've made an AVB switch that does all this as have other manufacturers. Modern Apple computers have AVB-capable network cards as well, so they will eventually be able to participate in AVB networks. For more info about AVB, check out Audio Video Bridging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_town View Post
These new interfaces look great.
I am a long time RME user and not familiar with how Motu handles their main monitor outputs. Is the digital encoder on the front of the 1248 purely to control the monitor level within the cuemix software? or is it digitally controlled analog attenuation within the 1248 itself?
cheers
The output knobs digitally control the analog attenuation within the unit itself. Keep in mind, too, that pretty much all hardware settings (preamp gain, 48V phantom power, etc.) can be controlled remotely from the web app software.

These new interfaces use completely new software with very flexible routing and mixing. They can be used standalone or with a computer. You can change a bunch of settings from the front panel alone. Even better, hook up the ethernet port to a wireless router: each member of the band could be tweaking their own monitor mix from their tablets or phones simultaneously. Lots of possibilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
Seems to be an improvement in the AD/DA conversion, and that's pretty seductive.
We're really excited too! Not to be too hyperbolic, but these are the best sounding interfaces we've ever made and we can't wait for people to play around with them. As others have surmised, we’re using the Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016, 8-channel version) and it sounds pretty stellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
since you work for MOTU,
could you please explain the reasoning behind having only one TB port?
Was this solely a cost cutting decision or some other factor? As you can see from this thread alone, an inclusion of another port would have been greatly received by the gear interested community at large...
Making a product often requires hard choices and trade-offs. We would have preferred two Thunderbolt ports but it just wasn’t possible given the constraints involved.

That said, USB and the networking features provide a great alternative. For the purposes of adding more I/O, networking the boxes is significantly more powerful and flexible than daisy-chaining them with Thunderbolt. In addition, we’re looking into streaming audio with AVB directly to and from your Mac via its Ethernet port. That could free up your laptop’s Thunderbolt port altogether. Most Thunderbolt docks and Apple’s Thunderbolt display have ethernet ports, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws View Post
I'm longing for a rack mount interface with software mixer, onboard DSP for EQ, Compression and FX that I can automate from DP and simultaneously use a control surface in a live show setting.

In other words, a Yamaha 01V that's one rack space with a smaller control surface footprint run from a laptop.

Are we there yet?
Getting closer, certainly! We’re going to publish the API for talking to the devices over both HTTP and OSC, for those who are interested. We currently don’t support any control surfaces, but you could use a MIDI-to-OSC translator like OSCulator to build a custom setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
That means, if I don't want wireless, I can hook up to a laptop's Ethernet port and the MOTU unit, with a crossover Cat5 cable and call the web app in the web browser in the laptop?
Sure can! And you don’t even need a crossover cable these days—modern network cards handle the crossing for you (Medium Dependent Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). And this will work on any computer: Mac, Windows, Linux.

That said, the MOTU AVB driver also runs a proxy server locally that forwards the web app over Thunderbolt/USB. That means your local computer has access already (over USB or TB). And if your computer is on a wireless network, your wireless devices can access it via the computer. The AVB Discovery app makes this easy and transparent on both OS X and iOS.

Quote:
FWIW, the latency of USB is about the same as Thunderbolt:

Buffer:___USB latency in PT10:___Thunderbolt latency in PT10:
32_______266 samples_________205 samples
64_______361 samples_________302 samples
128______476 samples_________428 samples
256______804 samples_________744 samples
512______1448 samples________1392 samples
1024_____2728 samples________2668 samples
Hmm… we’re seeing the same thing, but those numbers are higher than they should be. I’m going to dig into this and report back!

Alright! That’s it for now. Lemme know what questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them.

Michael Miller
MOTU
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since I'm on PC, TB driver isn't available yet, and I don't want to use USB connection since their USB driver is sort of buggy. I'll be using it purely as AD/DA converter in the meantime, by connecting to RME HDSP9652 ADAT. That's why I want to connect the network cable from the PC that houses HDSP to the MOTU unit via crossover cable. This is for 'portable' rig, so I also don't want to carry router with the rig. Sorry, I didn't elaborate my needs, but your helps are great.

What I anticipate is the improvement of AD/DA conversion from my M-Audio converter, but how much I can hear the sonic difference is...well, let's see.
Out of curiosity, which m Audio interface are you running currently? Im running profire 2626's (have been for years) but interested in the difference you hear between them
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Out of curiosity, which m Audio interface are you running currently? Im running profire 2626's (have been for years) but interested in the difference you hear between them
Actually mine is also Profire 2626!

You know, PF 2626 is a fine unit IMO, and the W7 driver has been very stable. But when I use internal clock, I see very little clock noise occasionally here and there (do you?). That annoys me, and now it's externally clocked from RME's clock module.

I may be a victim of marketing, but let's see!
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have a 2626 also, that I use with me MacBookPro, and a Presonus Digimax LT which privides the clock via ADAT. I have been very happy with it, used it last night for a jazz quintet, and very good results.

My 8M arrived today and I'm just checking it out, no conclusions yet, except do I really need it? Was planning to use it with both the 2626 and the Presonus for 24 inputs... but I don't need that many very often! Hopefully the 8M will sound enough better to justify itself.
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
I have a 2626 also, that I use with me MacBookPro, and a Presonus Digimax LT which privides the clock via ADAT. I have been very happy with it, used it last night for a jazz quintet, and very good results.

My 8M arrived today and I'm just checking it out, no conclusions yet, except do I really need it? Was planning to use it with both the 2626 and the Presonus for 24 inputs... but I don't need that many very often! Hopefully the 8M will sound enough better to justify itself.
Oh, that's exciting!

I'm also interested in preamps of 8M. You know, Profire/Digmax preamps are all kind of 'meh' when you plug in mics like RE20, SM7b, or even SM57. So, let us know how preamps of the new 8M.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Got my 8M late today and have been exploring a bit. I'm finding the manual a bit frustrating! One example: the only mention of the V-limit feature is on page 57 where it says it exists, but nowhere does it say how to turn it on or off. Is it always on by default, and not switchable? I have not seen it operate but hope to not need the v-limit much if at all!
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, that's exciting!

I'm also interested in preamps of 8M. You know, Profire/Digmax preamps are all kind of 'meh' when you plug in mics like RE20, SM7b, or even SM57. So, let us know how preamps of the new 8M.
I get good results with both of them, and never been disappointed! If the 8m is better (and it should be!) then it is exciting. I'm a live sound guy with recording a sideline, so i find them quite adequate and producers have praised my tracks. I do like to use condensers whenever possible, but my Re302 and 421s, D6, D4s and i5s sound just fine. Yesterday I had i5s on guitar amp, flugelhorn, and snare, and they sound fine.

Wish I had had the 8m for that gig! Next time I will...
Old 14th August 2014
So, A/D + D/A + A/D - A/D = A/D + D/A
Seems right...
Clever and simple!

Quote:
Old 14th August 2014
I've been following this thread with great interest, like OldTools my first reply got lost in transaction...

Thanks very much for posting these findings, the TB performance is disappointing, makes me wonder if MOTU use FW over TB like Apollo 16 (not the twin, curiously). Well on the other hand that makes for less need for TB connection and less issues with the lack of out/loop TB port.

3.2/3.8 ms (TB/USB) latency (96k 64 samples) is on par with Apogee Symphony according to this:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources...ilyLatency.png

and the Aurora TB according to this (post #17) (unless the buffer was larger?)

New Lynx LT-TB Thunderbolt for Aurora, Hilo

so it seems HD Native still is the "cheapest" thing fast enough for through-DAW-monitoring (and that at 96k or 32 samples only...)

So in all other cases, a mixer within the interface is needed.
The per channel cost of MOTU 16A is roughly the same as Orion 32, however Orions mixer has only one stereo mix bus, so that won't get us far. And the dynamic range is less.. And the MOTU mixer has DSP (eq, comp, reverb, even an LA-2A emulation though it's on outputs only, but I guess it's no problem to route through a bus on the way in if needed).

(Orion also has 5 ms latency for same settings, see specs tab and scroll down. Funny how different DAWs have different results for the same buffer size.)

Orion³² Multi-Channel AD/DA Converter | Antelope Audio

So on paper at least, MOTU is best bang for the buck - though we still need to hear it, or at least have more reports/reviews. The PT11 problems are concerning, though.

Lynx Aurora is next thing up, price-wise at least, has dual TB ports but their mixer only works with TB and PCI connections...

And seemingly, only HD native gets us (close) to where through-DAW monitoring is usable, or am I missing something?

Quote:
OK, I just typed up a LOOONNNG reply to magicd from MOTU, and it got gobbled up and spit into the ether

As to Thunderbolt, it works with iTunes, but ProTools 11 is throwing up LOTS or errors about "can not communicate with the hardware..." "experienced and unknown error and must exit". USB works fine.

FWIW, the latency of USB is about the same as Thunderbolt:

Buffer:___USB latency in PT10:___Thunderbolt latency in PT10:
32_______266 samples_________205 samples
64_______361 samples_________302 samples
128______476 samples_________428 samples
256______804 samples_________744 samples
512______1448 samples________1392 samples
1024_____2728 samples________2668 samples
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Guru

So the mixer has dsp that I can apply to stuff that comes out near zero latency for monitoring, like if I plug synths into it, running live, I can eq and compress them on the mixer? Same for recording vocals? Do the setting from the mixer record as well, or can I route to choose to record flat but hear compressed and eq'd in realtime?

Also, is there a way to assign a realtime midi controller to functions? What I want is to assign a real knob to an aux send knob on the mixer...... if that is possible I am in.
Old 14th August 2014
You get to choose pre or post DSP FX, according to the manual..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
So the mixer has dsp that I can apply to stuff that comes out near zero latency for monitoring, like if I plug synths into it, running live, I can eq and compress them on the mixer? Same for recording vocals? Do the setting from the mixer record as well, or can I route to choose to record flat but hear compressed and eq'd in realtime?
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Yup! The routing's quite flexible. You can route any in to any number of outs. In this case, you'd route the dry mic signal to your computer and through the mixer to get effected and then route that into your monitor mix. Going even further, you could also then record the wet signal if you wanted by sending it out from the mixer to the computer, or have some monitor mixes with the original dry signal and some with the met.

Quote:
Also, is there a way to assign a realtime midi controller to functions? What I want is to assign a real knob to an aux send knob on the mixer...... if that is possible I am in.
Yes, but with a little work. We don't support MIDI directly currently but we've got OSC support done and that update should ship soon. That means you could hand-roll something using, say, OSCulator to do MIDI-to-OSC translation. The cool thing there is your setup wouldn't need to be on the computer that's connected to the interface—actually, the interface doesn't even need to be connected to a computer at all!
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by askkaereby View Post
Thanks very much for posting these findings, the TB performance is disappointing, makes me wonder if MOTU use FW over TB like Apollo 16 (not the twin, curiously). Well on the other hand that makes for less need for TB connection and less issues with the lack of out/loop TB port.
The implementation is full Thunderbolt, not simply FireWire shoehorned onto a different bus. We support 128 channels in and out at 1x and 2x sample rates, much better than we'd be able to do with FireWire.

As for the latencies: we investigated and fixed a problem on our end, so next update should see lower RTL on both Thunderbolt and USB.
Old 14th August 2014
This is very good news! 'cept I have to shell out for the Apple TB display after all
The OSC support is also interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
The implementation is full Thunderbolt, not simply FireWire shoehorned onto a different bus. We support 128 channels in and out at 1x and 2x sample rates, much better than we'd be able to do with FireWire.

As for the latencies: we investigated and fixed a problem on our end, so next update should see lower RTL on both Thunderbolt and USB.
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yup! The routing's quite flexible. You can route any in to any number of outs. In this case, you'd route the dry mic signal to your computer and through the mixer to get effected and then route that into your monitor mix. Going even further, you could also then record the wet signal if you wanted by sending it out from the mixer to the computer, or have some monitor mixes with the original dry signal and some with the met.

Yes, but with a little work. We don't support MIDI directly currently but we've got OSC support done and that update should ship soon. That means you could hand-roll something using, say, OSCulator to do MIDI-to-OSC translation. The cool thing there is your setup wouldn't need to be on the computer that's connected to the interface—actually, the interface doesn't even need to be connected to a computer at all!
Wow, sounds great.

So, just having thrown a swift glance at OSCulator, that will allow me to map my hardware controller knobs to selected nobs like aux sends in the mixer? Will it be a case of a list of OSC commands you supply and then just typing the rrequired midi cc and that OSC command into the same line of OSCulator and hey presto, or does it go into full nerd country?

This thing is getting more appealing by the minute.....
Old 14th August 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Great to have you on here Michael. Going back to my previous question, given the Sabre32 converters, are these units actually recording and playing back at 32bit? So no dithering or truncating if you feed it a 32bit output from your daw?
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Got my 8M late today and have been exploring a bit. I'm finding the manual a bit frustrating! One example: the only mention of the V-limit feature is on page 57 where it says it exists, but nowhere does it say how to turn it on or off. Is it always on by default, and not switchable? I have not seen it operate but hope to not need the v-limit much if at all!
Oops—definitely an oversight in the manual! I talked to the manual's author and we'll add more details. You can turn off V-Limit in the Device tab.
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Great!

Hope your company will write great drivers for PC platform as well. Thanks for chiming in!
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oops—definitely an oversight in the manual! I talked to the manual's author and we'll add more details. You can turn off V-Limit in the Device tab.
Thanks. I found it in the mic input strip, below 48V, the next time I opened the app, and I found it off by default so it needed to be turned on if wanted...

Now here's another silly mistake. There is a button below the Vlimit button that says "softclip" but I see nothing in the manual about it. How about a description, and how it is different from Vlimit?

Look at page 18 - it shows the 1248, not the 8M, and there are different controls: No V-limit or softclip buttons. And there is no image of the control panel of the 8M. I'd rather have a complete manual for the 8M than a triple manual for three different models...

You have maybe one-third of a manual there... hope it gets complete some day, or I'll be discovering hidden features for months!

But there are many details missing from the manual and a bit too much basic engineering which anyone should know before getting a unit this great!

It sounds great, though, and it'll take a while to grok all its capabilities.

Still in the first 24 hours, so far I'm just using it as interface via USB so I can compare with my 002R/BLA.

L

Last edited by loujudson; 14th August 2014 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: New questions re; Manual.
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Great to have you on here Michael. Going back to my previous question, given the Sabre32 converters, are these units actually recording and playing back at 32bit? So no dithering or truncating if you feed it a 32bit output from your daw?
I'll have to get back to you on that (later today, hopefully). I'm on the software side so I need to talk to the hardware team.

Quote:
So, just having thrown a swift glance at OSCulator, that will allow me to map my hardware controller knobs to selected nobs like aux sends in the mixer? Will it be a case of a list of OSC commands you supply and then just typing the rrequired midi cc and that OSC command into the same line of OSCulator and hey presto, or does it go into full nerd country?
Exactly. We've got documentation for the whole thing ready to post and it's pretty straightforward. You can control pretty much everything that you see in the web app.
Old 14th August 2014
Quote:
Thanks. I found it in the mic input strip, below 48V, the next time I opened the app, and I found it off by default so it needed to be turned on if wanted... But there are many details missing from the manual and a bit too much basic engineering which anyone should know before getting a unit this great!

It sounds great, though, and it'll take a while to grok all its capabilities.
Glad you're enjoying it so far! I'd love to hear more specifics on what we can add/remove in the manual to make it more helpful. If you've got the time, please PM me and I'll make sure we fix it up.
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

Exactly. We've got documentation for the whole thing ready to post and it's pretty straightforward. You can control pretty much everything that you see in the web app.
Superb stuff! Thank you.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
In addition, we’re looking into streaming audio with AVB directly to and from your Mac via its Ethernet port. That could free up your laptop’s Thunderbolt port altogether. Most Thunderbolt docks and Apple’s Thunderbolt display have ethernet ports, too.

Michael Miller
MOTU

That would be a terrific addition.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Excited to see that MOTU are listening and caring to get the most out of their very promising new hardware. Looking forward to where these latencies come down to :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search