The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unofficial Slate Digital Frequently Asked Questions Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Unofficial Slate Digital Frequently Asked Questions

I was thinking of compiling an Unofficial Slate Digital FAQ (frequently asked questions) list. Steven constantly gets asked the same questions, so I figured this would be a good place to point people to.

1. Will mono versions of VBC be released? What about AAX/64-bit for FG-X and AAX VCC?

A: Yes, in due time. In addition to Pro Tools AAX and 64-bit support FG-X 2.0 will feature a better limiter algorithm plus improved CPU usage. VCC 2.0 will add a sixth console and have improved CPU usage. VCC 2 is scheduled for a January 2015 release.

2. What consoles does VCC emulate?

A: Brit 4k = SSL 4000G (Specifically, this one: Ameraycan Studio A )

Brit N - Neve 8048

Fork/trident symbol = Trident 80B

US A = API 1604

RC Tube = RCA Broadcast Tube Consolette, a hybrid BC-6B/BC-3 model. 1950's vintage. The algorithm is based on a combination of two BC-6Bs and a BC-3 (same design as the BC-6B but with less inputs/faders)

3. Which tape machines and tape types does VTM emulate?

A: The 1/2" machine is a Studer A80 RC, owned by mastering engineer Howie Weinberg.

The 2" machine is a Studer A827 from NRG Studios.

FG9 = Quantegy GP9
FG456 = Ampex 456

4. Which compressors does VBC emulate?

A: The FG-Grey is an SSL 4000 buss compressor with a St. Ives transformer modification.

The FG-Red is a Focusrite Red 3 compressor.

The FG-Mu is a hybrid of a FairChild 670 and a Manley Laboratories Variable Mu.

5. What is the Virtual Mix Rack and what do its modules emulate?

The Slate VMR is based on the 500 series "lunchbox" chassis/racks.

FG-401: It's based on several VCA compressors. Includes a transformer on/off button and two circuit paths.

FG-N: Neve 1073 equalizer and line amp. Unlike the hardware it has two mid-bands and the settings are not stepped. It compliments the VCC plugin's "Brit N" console.

FG-S: Solid State 4000E channel equalizer. It compliments the VCC plugin's "Brit 4k" console.

FG-116: Urei/Universal Audio 1176, which is an field effect transistor style compressor. FET compressors typically have more "character" than VCA style. Think of them as a solid state emulation of tubes/valves. Which revision is not certain at this time.

FG-401: A hybrid emulation of the SSL 4000 channel compressor and similar characteristics of an Empirical Labs Distressor, dbx 160A, etc. All are voltage controlled amplifier based. VCA compressors have a "clean" sound and have precise controls. In the plugin module Circuit 1 is punchier and more dynamic whereas Circuit 2 is smoother/more transparent . Steven Slate elaborates on the FG-401:

Quote:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10109371-post86.html
The FG-401 Compressor can achieve tones that sound like SSL dynamics, but also dives into sounds similar to Distressor, dbx 160... With the two circuit settings and the transformer, it has a lot of versatility. A true musical workhorse compressor.
Revival: An exciter that adds bottom end weight or airy top end to tracks and mixes. This is the first free plugin that Slate Digital has ever released. The closest hardware would be something like an Aphex Aural Exciter or BBE Sonic Maximizer.

6. Will the NRG Studios and SSDR impulse response files ever be released? If not, what in your opinion is a good Altiverb or Waves IR (acoustics.net library) substitute?

Steven Slate says: We made some impulses. They did not do that gorgeous sounding room justice and I don't like putting out things that aren't awesome. We plan to revisit room modeling so stay tuned. We'll do it properly, and our microphone emulation technology will help.

7. Which oversampling setting is best/most authentic in VCC?

A. 2x. Although we're not sure which sample rate was used to come to this determination. Steven Slate answered this here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9996756-post1545.html

8. In order to best emulate a real analog studio set up, how should I set up my Slate plugins?

In a normal studio you have a preamp running either to a digital recorder (computer or something else) or a tape machine. Then the output of that is routed back to a large console. The large console is then routed to either back into the box or to a tape machine. So, to emulate this use the plugins in the following order:

VMS preamp (for now, use a Slate Virtual Channel Brit-N or US A module) --> VTM on the 2" machine setting --> Virtual Channel on each track. I like to use an EQ plugin or compressor after the first VCC instance, to simulate tracking EQ/compressors BEFORE hitting "tape".

On your master channel use the following: Slate Virtual MixBuss as the VERY FIRST plugin. Then VBC Rack and then your second to last plugin should be VTM on the 1/2" machine setting.

Your second VCC Channel and VCC Mixbuss modules should be the same for absolute authenticity.

9. Where is Steven's acceptance speech from the 2014 Dave Pensado Awards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7r...u.be&t=1h34m2s

Steven Slate says: Sorry about my face.

10. Are there any benefits or uses for TRIGGER if you already own SSD?

Yes. TRIGGER is a sample replacer. SSD is a virtual instrument, which has the added the benefit of cymbal samples which TRIGGER does not. If you don't need a plugin that replaces previously recorder drum "hits" then save your money and stick with SSD.

11. Why is Steven Slate so handsome?

It's the black V-Necks and his analog mojo/vibe.

12. When will RC-Tube owners get a fair deal for a VCC upgrade? The VCC is basically on perma-sale at 99 bucks (or less), so RC owners end up paying more than that if they want the VCC.

Steven Slate says: I'll look into this.

13. Why do Slate plugins require an iLok 2?

To prevent software theft/piracy. The iLok 2 also protects your investment. It's one of the big reasons Slate Digital can stay in business, because otherwise the leeches of the world would rip off their plugins in a heartbeat and not pay SD a penny for their hard work. Steven Slate said that the first day his plugin became available on a pirate site, sales plummeted.

Quote:
Source: Slate VCC will be iLok2 - Page 3 - Ultimate Metal Forum

Steven Slate:

Here's the reality:
We have two plugins out. Both of them cost a large sum of money to develop. They were selling very well. Then one day, one of them was cracked. The sales of that plugin immediately went way down. If that plugin was cracked when it first was released, assuming it would have sold as low as what it has been since getting cracked, it would not be a profiteable plugin.. and then i can't pay my developers, sales staff, support staff, office space rent, accountants, shipping clerks.. Running a company is expensive, and the obvious idea is to make more money then you spend. Not gonna happen if your products are getting pirated.

So using that as a model, its pretty easy to conclude that if we don't protect future plugins from piracy, then we won't be able to make enough money to exist as a software company.. especially since the customer base of this industry is TINY.

I think that the policy I've created is fair and revolves around our core business model, which is, customers come first.
The iLok 2 is a small price to pay to have virtual access to audio tools that would total in the 5 figure range if purchased as hardware.

14. What happened to the FG-Q mastering equalizer? The plugin that's talked about in this video:

Steven Slate says: Fabrice made one with Eiosis and the AIR EQ2, and perhaps it will go into production at some point. I personally switched to Touchscreen technology for plugin control which has proven to be very successful. Fabrice and I still do plan to do a Slate Digital branded mastering equalizer that will sound different than the mighty Air EQ 2, which is incredible. I can't wait for that one to be done.

15. Why does the FG-116 compressor's VU meter not behave like the hardware?

The actual gain reduction with an 1176 is super fast. So fast that the real life VU meter doesn't really keep up with it. Slate Digital chose to go with an accurate gain reduction meter display. A "classic mode", that features a needle that reactions like the hardware, is planned for a future VMR update.

Quote:
The hardware vu Meter is waaaaay slower than what the compression action is actually doing. This compressor is extremely fast!

So our VU algo by nature is extremely tight and accurate, and follows the speed of the compression timing very precisely so YES.. It can look a bit stuttery compared to the hardware and no doubt this could be confusing.

We'll add this info to the manual and eventually I'll add a 'classic mode' to the VU.

Source: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10623636-post2303.html
16. Should I use the VST 2.4 or VST 3 Slate plugins?

Definitely "old school" VST 2. They are much more stable at the moment (December 2014).

Please add some more questions/correct my answers or add to them and I'll continuously update this first post for the newbs! If you have an important question that hasn't been answered here PLEASE visit Slate Support | Slate Support and ask them there. Those guys get paid to answer your tech support questions!
Old 23rd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
FG-116: Urei/Universal Audio 1176 (an FET compressor) with a transformer modification.
I'm no expert but isn't it the FG-401, that has the transformer modification?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
I'm no expert but isn't it the FG-401, that has the transformer modification?
Good question. The modules got switched around (see this picture from the original press release, where it talks about a St. Ives transformer on a FET compressor: http://www.slatedigital.com/aespreview/2.jpg vs. the new one from a few months back http://drupal.soundonsound.com/s3/fi.../v/vmr-cut.jpg )

You can see a transformer button on the FG-401 in that screenshot so I will change the answer for now.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

10. Where is that 64 bit FG-X?

Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
10. Where is that 64 bit FG-X?

Added to question 1!
Old 23rd July 2014
Quote:
I was thinking of compiling an Unofficial Slate Digital FAQ
No love for Steven Slate Drums products?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
No love for Steven Slate Drums products?
Ask away and I'll add them.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Nice thread Doom!
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I think he said the impulse responses would not be released. If I recall he said they just didn't sound right and it was better to just use something else.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
I think he said the impulse responses would not be released. If I recall he said they just didn't sound right and it was better to just use something else.
I do recall that. I'm hoping he gives some suggestions for people who own Altiverb and/or Waves IR
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I love all the plugins that Slate and FG provide!!! However, I wish they would create some reverb, delays, chorus, etc! Do you think that they will create any rich vintage sounding effects any time soon?
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

Awesome thread, doom!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

I have a SSD4/Trigger question:

Are there any benefits or uses for Trigger if you already own SSD4?
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Why does Steven post so many pictures of meat on his instagram?
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Why is Steven Slate so handsome?
Old 24th July 2014
DHL
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Why is Steven Slate so handsome?
I think it's the V necks!
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Some companies / brands are really using their Instagram profile to promote their product. Some are not :-D
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanu View Post
Some companies / brands are really using their Instagram profile to promote their product. Some are not :-D
So he won't be releasing a neutral tasting chewy thing that can emulate a number of famous meat products, even ones that cost hundreds of dollars a pound?
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ask away and I'll add them.
In case you missed it, I added a Trigger question in Post# 12.
Old 24th July 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Interesting page... Sort of.

"After I drink this nonfat sugar-free vanilla soy latte, I'm going to beat the **** out of you."

Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Just what the world needs: another slate thread.

Cant wait to use my slate vmr to emulate a mixing desk

Pro tools slot 1: waves chainer with mdw eq for surgical eq into waves ssl channel filter into slate vmr with ssl eq
Slot 2: hardware insert (1176)
Slot 3: waves chainer with ssl channel dynamics section

Yeah cool thank you for making out digital lives easier!!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Can we lock this down now before this site becomes Slateslutz !!!!!!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear
Thanks for starting this thread! My Slate plugins are my favorites, and most used by far.
I'm always starving for more info about them.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwilson View Post
Anonymous Slateholics
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear
Talking No 'OFF' on the genius switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwilson View Post
I think, based on Slate's naming convention, this site would be known as...

FG-earslutz!

(trademark reserved... send me a PM and we can deal, Steven and/or Jules )
Old 25th July 2014
When will RC-Tube owners get a fair deal for a VCC upgrade? The VCC is basically on perma-sale at 99 bucks (or less), so RC owners end up paying more than that if they want the VCC.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

OK, updated.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
When will RC-Tube owners get a fair deal for a VCC upgrade? The VCC is basically on perma-sale at 99 bucks (or less), so RC owners end up paying more than that if they want the VCC.
Weren't you pretty much getting an iLok with a free RC-Tube plugin? That was my understanding of the deal, back in the day. I always thought RC Tube was a stupid plugin to put out, but hey what do I know? They should offer SOME sort of upgrade/crossgrade discount.
Old 27th July 2014
Quote:
Weren't you pretty much getting an iLok with a free RC-Tube plugin? That was my understanding of the deal, back in the day. I always thought RC Tube was a stupid plugin to put out, but hey what do I know? They should offer SOME sort of upgrade/crossgrade discount.
That deal still stands, but it's only good if you're in the US because of the shipping costs. In my case the (international) shipping it costs 25 bucks. And I already have the dongle, so...
Old 30th July 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

1. When will we get a mono version of VBC?

2. When will dogs fly?

3. Will the VBC 2.0 have bigger VU's or adjustable plugin sizes?

4. Will the FG-X 2.0 be able to be separated?

5. Will JJ from Good Times mix Good Times from Chic at Slate studios?

6. Will the VTM ever be adjustable size wise?

7. Could I eat a banana in a banana boat?

These are some of the questions I've always wanted to ask the might OZ but, Steven will do I guess!

Good Times,

Marc
Old 30th July 2014
For mixing here's what I do...

On my sub mixes, not my individual channels, I do:

VTM
VCC
VBC or an Eq or comp

' cause I come off tape into my console channel, thru an EQ or compressor.

Then on the 2 buss:

VCC
EQ and/ or comp
VTM

Is that what u said? It's late here and it confused me...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search