The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unofficial Slate Digital Frequently Asked Questions Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 27th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmanoel View Post
Hello, doom64! In a parallel compression bus (drums), I also use the VCC channel before the compressor (to something closer to the real)? Cheers!
Are you asking which order they would be in on a real mixing desk?
Old 27th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Are you asking which order they would be in on a real mixing desk?
Yes, that's right!
Old 27th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, that's right!
That signal would be routed out of the board then brought back in on a separate input to blend with the original. So it would be [compressor plugin] --> [Slate VCC channel].

The thing I like about VCC is that it is very subtle...like a real board should be. So all these extra levels of saturation don't muck up the sound unlike some other plugins that aren't subtle and can't be used in this realistic manner.
Old 28th November 2014
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
That signal would be routed out of the board then brought back in on a separate input to blend with the original. So it would be [compressor plugin] --> [Slate VCC channel].

The thing I like about VCC is that it is very subtle...like a real board should be. So all these extra levels of saturation don't muck up the sound unlike some other plugins that aren't subtle and can't be used in this realistic manner.
VCC is sensational! Thank you for all the answers, doom64! For those who might be interested also in short:

Channels - VCC (channel) first insert.
FX Bus (delay, reverb, chorus, etc.) - VCC (Channel) second insert, after effect.
Parallel compression bus - VCC (channel) second insert, after compressor.
MixBuss - VCC (MixBuss) first insert.

For me just was not very clear yet: in the case of a bus / group (drums, guitar, keys, etc.) all containing effects such as a compressor: put the VCC as the second insert, after the compressor, or as the first insert?

Cheers!
Old 28th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
VCC is sensational! Thank you for all the answers, doom64! For those who might be interested also in short:

Channels - VCC (channel) first insert.
FX Bus (delay, reverb, chorus, etc.) - VCC (Channel) second insert, after effect.
Parallel compression bus - VCC (channel) second insert, after compressor.
MixBuss - VCC (MixBuss) first insert.

For me just was not very clear yet: in the case of a bus / group (drums, guitar, keys, etc.) all containing effects such as a compressor: put the VCC as the second insert, after the compressor, or as the first insert?

Cheers!
Yes, second/last insert for a group bus, after the other plugin effects.

The way to think of it is to ask yourself, "At what point will the signal go into an input on a real board?" If you haven't used a mixing board/console that may be tough to answer but just think about the logical signal flow.

The only exception is for the mixbuss because that is emulating combining all the mix channels/busses into the stereo portion of the mixing console. It needs to be first for realism's sake.

To further the addition of "analog mojo" also consider using the VCC/VTM plugins to simulate recording consoles and recording to tape as well. Not just for mixing.
Old 29th November 2014
Lives for gear

Again, thank you for help, doom64. I've never worked with an analogue console (especially one the size of a SSL), always thought the sign (on a bus) went to the input of the desk and then to the effects, but then it is on the contrary, first to the effect (comp, reverb, etc.) and returning to the desk. Except in a normal channel (not a bus) where the effects (again, comp, EQ, delay, reverb, etc.) would be added later, right? The VCC manual could be more clearer about this, unfortunately they only say to use the VCC as the first insert on all channels. Thank you!
Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear

Did you know that Slate is actually pronounced [slaahTAY]? It's french and means perfect emulation.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Added a question/answer about the FG-116 compressor's meter behavior.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear
Can anyone hook me up with the FGX presets? I bought it last week and there's no presets. Emailed Slate and never got a reply.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Toms View Post
Can anyone hook me up with the FGX presets? I bought it last week and there's no presets. Emailed Slate and never got a reply.
Let me know if this works for you. Download the attachment in this message. Extract the zip file to the FG-X directory. Go to "import bank" in the plugin to open it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bank.zip (1.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Let me know if this works for you. Download the attachment in this message. Extract the zip file to the FG-X directory. Go to "import bank" in the plugin to open it.
Thanks a million! I'll be back to the studio today and will check them out!
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a million! I'll be back to the studio today and will check them out!
I hope they work. I recall Steven saying something about old presets not working and I'm not sure if these are the old ones or not...I never use them. So no guarantees. It's a shame they took down the presets from drumclassroom.net . They changed a lot of stuff that was useful on the downloads page that I disagree with.
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear
Unfortunately, that file is not recognized when I try to import. Thanks though for trying!
Old 11th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately, that file is not recognized when I try to import. Thanks though for trying!
I'd try contacting support. You said you emailed Slate...I'm not sure if you meant Steven or their customer support. Slate Support | Slate Support is the best way to contact them. Give them a call during normal business hours or submit a ticket. Slate_Support is their Skype name and that works too.
Old 27th December 2014
Lives for gear

Hey Doom!

Maybe you could add that the FG-S is based to SSL 4000E equalizer.
Old 27th December 2014
Hey @doom64, you might wanna update that VCC schedule to January 2015 (according to SD's latest email).
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Hey Doom!

Maybe you could add that the FG-S is based to SSL 4000E equalizer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Hey @doom64, you might wanna update that VCC schedule to January 2015 (according to SD's latest email).
Done.
Old 28th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I just dug out my SSD 3.5 Ex I bought years ago, wanted to try them out again..NO Go on new OSX...what do I have to do to get these things to work?
I did the same thing the other day on Win 7,and all was too easy,it sorta makes me realize why cakewalk won't do an OSX version,plus macs down here for decent specs is a 15" Retina[only option] $2995 with 5,400 1TB drive and 8GB RAM....ridiculous,one day I do want to try but used/refurbished seem the only chance,plus why do they change the apple OS every few weeks?
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

Added question #16 . As of right now VST3 plugins with Slate Digital are unstable.
Old 29th December 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
I did the same thing the other day on Win 7,and all was too easy,it sorta makes me realize why cakewalk won't do an OSX version,plus macs down here for decent specs is a 15" Retina[only option] $2995 with 5,400 1TB drive and 8GB RAM....ridiculous,one day I do want to try but used/refurbished seem the only chance,plus why do they change the apple OS every few weeks?
I build PC's, got a good deal from a friend on a used mac mini, thats the only reason I am on mac. I upgraded the RAM and its running very good...BUt I am still a PC guy..Building my wife a new one soon..I usually build me and the wife a new PC every year, I can build a PC for the price of a mac mini that will smoke almost any mac.

Anyway, I got a $50 coupon to update to SSD4, So my old EX I bought is no good anymore.
Old 31st December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I build PC's, got a good deal from a friend on a used mac mini, thats the only reason I am on mac. I upgraded the RAM and its running very good...BUt I am still a PC guy..Building my wife a new one soon..I usually build me and the wife a new PC every year, I can build a PC for the price of a mac mini that will smoke almost any mac.

Anyway, I got a $50 coupon to update to SSD4, So my old EX I bought is no good anymore.
Cool,I'd only go mac if I could do what you did,but even refurbs down here are just ridiculous price wise,and though I haven't yet tried,I don't think it's that easy to get an OSX disc from the apple store to turn my 4.7 GHz 2600k into a hack and I don't think I'm up for all the hassle.

SSD4 is is similar soundwise to 3.5 except[a LOT Better] it only works in your[without Kontakt!,it has it;s own UI] daw but I just much prefer the sounds to the others I have :EZ,EZ2,Addictive,BFD2[like having a whole new daw to work out] so go for SSD4 even EX is pretty good,but I got platinum with a coupon,and it's just so easy to get good sounds quick.
Old 31st December 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Cool,I'd only go mac if I could do what you did,but even refurbs down here are just ridiculous price wise,and though I haven't yet tried,I don't think it's that easy to get an OSX disc from the apple store to turn my 4.7 GHz 2600k into a hack and I don't think I'm up for all the hassle.

SSD4 is is similar soundwise to 3.5 except[a LOT Better] it only works in your[without Kontakt!,it has it;s own UI] daw but I just much prefer the sounds to the others I have :EZ,EZ2,Addictive,BFD2[like having a whole new daw to work out] so go for SSD4 even EX is pretty good,but I got platinum with a coupon,and it's just so easy to get good sounds quick.
I did get SSD4 Platinum plus CLA expansion a few days after i realized my old EX was useless..they sent me a coupon, which they didn't have to. Slate support has been very good to me.
Old 29th January 2015
Here for the gear

I am running OS X 10.9.5 right now and my system runs smoothly

Has Yosemite proven to be compatible with Slate plugins and the majority of audio plugins, that many audio engineers are using it yet?

iMac 21.5 i7 16GB RAM Apogee Duet Logic 10.1
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibetyme View Post
I am running OS X 10.9.5 right now and my system runs smoothly

Has Yosemite proven to be compatible with Slate plugins and the majority of audio plugins, that many audio engineers are using it yet?

iMac 21.5 i7 16GB RAM Apogee Duet Logic 10.1
I've been running yosemite since the day it was released, and have had zero problems with plugins. I've had lots of problems with logic, which might be plugin related, but those problems predated yosemite. So I feel confident saying yosemite has not caused me any problems
Old 29th January 2015
Deleted #297939
About how to handle the new monthly subscriptions on offline DAW's (don't work).

What are you gonna do with all the offline DAW's out there?

How are you (and then in our turn the users) gonna manage the monthly License authorization?

In order to use the Mix/Master bundle the computer will need to be hooked up to the internet for the license system to 'ping'.

Source: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10769068-post96.html
Old 1st February 2015
Lives for gear

Hello, everyone! Does anyone know why the colors of VMR version knobs is different? They simulated some other version or is it just a visual issue?
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

I can't edit the original post anymore? Damn it!

Question 2 addendum:

Brit 4k E - Solid State Logic 4000E (older than a 4000G). Assuming the 4000E that was modeled wasn't modified the Brit 4k (4000G model) has a cleaner/more transparent tone than the Brit 4k E.

Question 17:

What's a hidden VCC 2.0 feature?

You can change the VU meter calibration with the screw that's right underneath the meter window.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't edit the original post anymore? Damn it!

Question 2 addendum:

Brit 4k E - Solid State Logic 4000E (older than a 4000G). Assuming the 4000E that was modeled wasn't modified the Brit 4k (4000G model) has a cleaner/more transparent tone than the Brit 4k E.
Brit 4k G
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Hey - can i ask if anyone knows what the difference between the VCC mix and track plugins are, and specifically, do they talk to eachother at all? I'm assuming no, one or two GS posts elsewhere suggest they do. Perhaps also, pros/cons of using the mix version on busses?

Many thanks
Old 23rd February 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Yes, second/last insert for a group bus, after the other plugin effects.

The way to think of it is to ask yourself, "At what point will the signal go into an input on a real board?" If you haven't used a mixing board/console that may be tough to answer but just think about the logical signal flow.

The only exception is for the mixbuss because that is emulating combining all the mix channels/busses into the stereo portion of the mixing console. It needs to be first for realism's sake.

To further the addition of "analog mojo" also consider using the VCC/VTM plugins to simulate recording consoles and recording to tape as well. Not just for mixing.
Just to be shure, for the group / aux / fx buss i use vcc channel or buss?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search