The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unofficial Slate Digital Frequently Asked Questions Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 31st July 2014
Yes, the "Slate EQ" will likely be the Eiosis Air EQ.

My bet: 2016. If lucky. And no mono versions on release date.
Old 31st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
That's the Eiosis Air EQ and controller now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Yes, the "Slate EQ" will likely be the Eiosis Air EQ.

My bet: 2016. If lucky. And no mono versions on release date.
This is what I was figuring, but fgq was meant to be a mastering EQ and Eiosis is a mixing EQ.. I think?
Old 31st July 2014
joe, from reading the Eiosis bits of info, I think they do not differentiate. AirEQ Premium is meant to be both, especially because of the "Character" feature.
Old 1st August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
joe, from reading the Eiosis bits of info, I think they do not differentiate. AirEQ Premium is meant to be both, especially because of the "Character" feature.
You're probably right, I was subscribed to the new Eiosis EQ page, but didn't really dig into it to much. Thanks.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Slate said he'd break off the compressor from the FGX a long time ago, not that that's high priority, but what we've seen so far is:

VBC came out, people wanted each comp without the rack even though they can bypass... They still want it
VMR is up next, people are asking for each unit to be a solo plugin even, cause some don't like the rack

So even though it seems cheesy to spend time breaking fgx comp off, some people would love it..

I also thought I heard Steven mention years ago that they'd make a software EQ equivalent to fgx... So it'd be a mastering EQ... Not sure if I remember right or not though.
Agreed. I do wonder if they may do the separate FG-X modules for version 2.0?

With VBC the plugins are available separatement...at least they are with VST2. I'm not sure about other platforms.

A question about the FG-Q has been added to post #1.
Old 1st August 2014
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

6. Will the NRG Studios and SSDR impulse response files ever be released? If not, what in your opinion is a good Altiverb or Waves IR (acoustics.net library) substitute?

A: No, because apparently they weren't recorded properly and sound poor.

Steven: We made some impulses. They did not do that gorgeous sounding room justice and I don't like putting out things that aren't awesome. We plan to revisit room modeling so stay tuned. We'll do it properly, and our microphone emulation technology will help.

9. Where is Steven's acceptance speech from the 2014 Dave Pensado Awards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7r...u.be&t=1h34m2s

Steven: Sorry about my face.

12. When will RC-Tube owners get a fair deal for a VCC upgrade? The VCC is basically on perma-sale at 99 bucks (or less), so RC owners end up paying more than that if they want the VCC.

??????

Steven: I'll look into this.

14. What happened to the FG-Q mastering equalizer? The plugin that's talked about in this video:

Fabrice made one with Eiosis and the AIR EQ2, and perhaps it will go into production at some point. I personally switched to Touchscreen technology for plugin control which has proven to be very successful. Fabrice and I still do plan to do a Slate Digital branded mastering equalizer that will sound different than the mighty Air EQ 2, which is incredible. I can't wait for that one to be done.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Q: When will [product] be released?

A: When its done, stop asking
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post

[snip]

Cheers,
Steven

Thanks for replying! The FAQ has been updated.
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Updated the FAQ to include more VMR information.
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for updating this! This is really great!
Old 19th November 2014
doom, you're the man. The Slate Librarian. Thanks again.
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

You guys are welcome! If there's anything else I need to add let me know.
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Addict

Doom64 - fantastic thread, thanks so much for putting it together.

As far as how VMR fits into the chain for your question #8 - do we just replace where you say "I like to use an EQ plugin or compressor after the first VCC instance, to simulate tracking EQ/compressors BEFORE hitting "tape" with VMR modules? Or is there somewhere else in the chain you would use the VMR stuff?
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
Doom64 - fantastic thread, thanks so much for putting it together.

As far as how VMR fits into the chain for your question #8 - do we just replace where you say "I like to use an EQ plugin or compressor after the first VCC instance, to simulate tracking EQ/compressors BEFORE hitting "tape" with VMR modules? Or is there somewhere else in the chain you would use the VMR stuff?
VMR after VCC to simulate board EQ or insert EQ. VMR before to simulate outboard before the console. Either way works, the latter will be less noisy. Both mehods put VTM 2" 16-track last.
Old 19th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
VMR after VCC to simulate board EQ or insert EQ. VMR before to simulate outboard before the console. Either way works, the latter will be less noisy. Both mehods put VTM 2" 16-track last.
Good deal, thanks for the reply.
Old 21st November 2014
How long is the intro price on vmr?
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

To get closer to reality, which should be inserted into an auxiliary channel?

1 - VCC Channel before effect.
2 - VCC MixBuss before effect.
3 - Only the effect without VCC.

Cheers!
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Cheers!
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmanoel View Post

Cheers!
Neither of the three. Stick VCC Channel after the auxiliary effects if they are something like a reverb or delay that on a real mixing board would be routed back into another channel's line input.

Something like a drum buss, vocals buss, guitar buss, etc.? Use VCC channel BEFORE effects.
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you so much, doom64! I always had this doubt with the VCC. Cheers!
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

You and Steven prefer to use gain staging (keep the signal in 0dBVU on VCC) or a higher signal to channels?
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You and Steven prefer to use gain staging (keep the signal in 0dBVU on VCC) or a higher signal to channels?
Many folks like to run the SSL hotter because it distorts in pleasant way.
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Many folks like to run the SSL hotter because it distorts in pleasant way.
Hello, Leevi! I'm trying to replicate this with VCC, I saw that CLA, Yoad Nevo, among others like to do that. To achieve the same effect I would have to ignore the gain staging and have some peaks near -3/0dB, right? This would generate the distortions also other "equipment" as compressors and equalizers, no? Thank you.
Old 23rd November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello, Leevi! I'm trying to replicate this with VCC, I saw that CLA, Yoad Nevo, among others like to do that. To achieve the same effect I would have to ignore the gain staging and have some peaks near -3/0dB, right? This would generate the distortions also other "equipment" as compressors and equalizers, no? Thank you.
Hey gilmanoel!

I would recommend that you do the gain staging normally in the beginning with a plugin like Klanghelm VUMT and then within the VCC you can add more input.

Hopefully there will be the trim module out for the VMR soon so you can do additional trimming if you will need to(I suppose you have VMR).
Old 24th November 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you, Leevi! I own the VMR, amazing!
Old 24th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Why is Steven Slate so handsome?
Steven Slate? I thought that was Simon Cowell.

Another question:
Why does SSD4 use so much ram?
Old 24th November 2014
Lives for gear

And when will SSD5 be out? :-)
Old 24th November 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

I just dug out my SSD 3.5 Ex I bought years ago, wanted to try them out again..NO Go on new OSX...what do I have to do to get these things to work?
Old 25th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I just dug out my SSD 3.5 Ex I bought years ago, wanted to try them out again..NO Go on new OSX...what do I have to do to get these things to work?
That's a question for the support staff.
Old 26th November 2014
Lives for gear

Hello, doom64! In a parallel compression bus (drums), I also use the VCC channel before the compressor (to something closer to the real)? Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search