The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unofficial Slate Digital Frequently Asked Questions Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear
The FAQ I ask myself most frequently?

"Why, oh why, do I click on the various Slate threads every day when I know there is very, very rarely anything of any actual importance being discussed?"
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
1. When will we get a mono version of VBC?
This question puzzles me as i use VBC on mono tracks all the time.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
The FAQ I ask myself most frequently?

"Why, oh why, do I click on the various Slate threads every day when I know there is very, very rarely anything of any actual importance being discussed?"
Lack of intelligence?
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
On lesser DAWs you can't use stereo plugins on mono tracks. Also, true mono plugins = less CPU usage.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Is that what u said? It's late here and it confused me...

The set up I do is simulating a studio. So my typical mix setup is...

Clean source track -->

Preamp simulator (VCC for now, VMS when it comes out) -->

Other stuff, like a preamp EQ such as a Neve 1073, a de-esser or a clean EQ (to correct the source) -->

Compressor or two -->

Tape (VTM) -->

Console (VCC) -->

Everything else on the tracks/aux sends -->

Master track -->

VCC Mix Buss -->

Other master track plugins -->

VBC somewhere with the other stuff --->

VTM second to last before the brickwall limiter plugin.

In order to save on CPU usage I bounce tracks up to the second VCC instance. In a way this simulates laying it down to tape, with the inclusion of the console plugin (to save CPU). It takes more time to bounce tracks, but I've been mixing this way for about two years now and my mixes come together so much faster. It's like they are pre-mixed...

I'm basically substituting my lack of good frontend hardware in the virtual world. I'd love to have 16 channels of Neve 1073, API EQs, UA 1176, a few LA-2As, etc. but that ain't happening so ITB it is...and it sounds pretty damn good to me!
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Slate Uninstall before update?

When installing new versions of Slate plugs, should I uninstall existing versions first?
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodittydada View Post
When installing new versions of Slate plugs, should I uninstall existing versions first?
I would say that at least it does not hurt...
Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodittydada View Post
This should be second nature dealing with any software. Don't rely on the installer to detect and correctly handle previous installations.
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Addict

How to get email notifications of updates/news

I own vbc, trigger 2, vtm, fgx, ssd4... I am signed up for the newsletter..
Why do I not get any email notifications when updates are released?

Of course I can check on gearslutz and search for "slate" but email notifications would be useful!

(And yes I have checked my junk folder)
Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by krevvy View Post
I am signed up for the newsletter..
Could it be that your email address domain is outside America?
I've had similar things happen from other US companies, where somewhere along the route, my emails were lost (blocked by ISP's). Domains gets blacklisted out there every day.

Have you tried from a gmail.com address?
Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
Could it be that your email address domain is outside America?
I've had similar things happen from other US companies, where somewhere along the route, my emails were lost (blocked by ISP's). Domains gets blacklisted out there every day.
My email domain is outside america (austria) and I'm gettin' all slate mails!! (ok.. at least I'm getting some but maybe not all of them )
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Addict

It is a gmail.com domain...
Thanks anyway.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear
Is there an ETA for VCC 2? The relationship of VCC to VMR is kind of unclear. I've been thinking that VCC 2 probably won't be out till VMR is released. But maybe that's not right?

It would make sense for slate to put VCC and VMR together, it seems to me. So when you choose the "Brit n" model the neve eq model comes up. is that what they are planning?

Seems like maybe slate bit off a little more than they could chew. But looking forward to the release of VMR and VCC 2.
Old 30th July 2014
hi guys. just got an email from slate with latest update for vbc. i am on mac os x 10.8.4 and tried few times to install it (followed all the instructions on slate website) and still no luck. my install gets stuck on validation page. then the error window comes out. any ideas ? thanks for help in advance.
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
Is there an ETA for VCC 2? The relationship of VCC to VMR is kind of unclear. I've been thinking that VCC 2 probably won't be out till VMR is released. But maybe that's not right?

It would make sense for slate to put VCC and VMR together, it seems to me. So when you choose the "Brit n" model the neve eq model comes up. is that what they are planning?

Seems like maybe slate bit off a little more than they could chew. But looking forward to the release of VMR and VCC 2.
Steven originally said somewhere that VCC was going to be in VMR and there was a bit of grumbling so then he said something about a user poll to decide if it will be offered as a stand-alone. My take on that (and who knows) is that it will be released as a module for the free VMR rack - Slate has also said the 2 different modules: channel/buss have been combined in to 1 and there is an output trim and another console module).

As for bringing up the FG-N, that's a cool idea but I don't think so... you can, however, save a preset in VMR that would be something like VCC > FG-N... or so is my understanding.
Old 30th July 2014
When will Slate stop ignoring this thread?
Old 30th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I think Steven doesnt want to reveal the secret of his handsomeness to his competitors.
Old 30th July 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
I think Steven doesnt want to reveal the secret of his handsomeness to his competitors.

"Oh, no! Those darn null-tests... Now I've made them all to sound the same: VMR, VBC, VTM, VCC..."

Old 30th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Everybody knows the secret: the puppy eyes.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krevvy View Post
How to get email notifications of updates/news

I own vbc, trigger 2, vtm, fgx, ssd4... I am signed up for the newsletter..

Of course I can check on gearslutz and search for "slate" but email notifications would be useful!

(And yes I have checked my junk folder)
I would email support about that. Slate Support | Slate Support As soon as I bought my first plugin I was on the Slate Digital spam list. Definitely put "noreply at stevenslate dot com" in your address book/white list.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I actually kind of like that he hasn't replied to it yet. Keeping it unofficial, 'ya know?
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiq View Post
hi guys. just got an email from slate with latest update for vbc. i am on mac os x 10.8.4 and tried few times to install it (followed all the instructions on slate website) and still no luck. my install gets stuck on validation page. then the error window comes out. any ideas ? thanks for help in advance.
Slate Support | Slate Support
Old 31st July 2014
lxm
Gear Addict

Still no MONO VBC I was told like 9 months ago it would be done via email
Old 31st July 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
Interesting, how? Pro Tools? Logic Pro X?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 31st July 2014
VBC mono workarounds

In Pro Tools 11 I can think of a couple of workarounds:
  • Instantiate D-Verb Stereo on your mono track, disable it, instantiate VBC after it.
  • Use Blue Cat Patchwork on the mono track and load VBC inside of it.

With Blue Cat Patchwork you can also load your (64-bit VST) VCC and FG-X using Pro Tools 11. So no more waiting for Slate's AAX64 releases. Same goes for any/many other manufacturers that offers 64-bit VST but no AAX64 plug-ins.

How stable is it? Well... time will tell. I've seen a few glitches.
Old 31st July 2014
Slate said he'd break off the compressor from the FGX a long time ago, not that that's high priority, but what we've seen so far is:

VBC came out, people wanted each comp without the rack even though they can bypass... They still want it
VMR is up next, people are asking for each unit to be a solo plugin even, cause some don't like the rack

So even though it seems cheesy to spend time breaking fgx comp off, some people would love it..

I also thought I heard Steven mention years ago that they'd make a software EQ equivalent to fgx... So it'd be a mastering EQ... Not sure if I remember right or not though.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

I would like VMR to be able to use all slate plugins and Soundtoys plugins and have a progression LED meter across the top of VMR showing the next Slate plugin development progression.
Old 31st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I also thought I heard Steven mention years ago that they'd make a software EQ equivalent to fgx... So it'd be a mastering EQ... Not sure if I remember right or not though.
FG-Q.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's the Eiosis Air EQ and controller now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search