The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Satson vs Sonimus Britson Saturation Plugins
Old 19th February 2015
  #91
Lives for gear
 
BasariStudios's Avatar
I usually use the Professional Deck on a first hear on the RB, so it must be that.
Mania, as Jimmy said, you have no Headroom because you did not leave any.
Old 19th February 2015
  #92
Lives for gear
 
Mania's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasariStudios View Post
I usually use the Professional Deck on a first hear on the RB, so it must be that.
Mania, as Jimmy said, you have no Headroom because you did not leave any.
That was just a random test sound, to just show the difference. it was just to show, of course i have enough headroom in a normal project.
Do you think it might be something to with a high vu level?
Old 19th February 2015
  #93
Lives for gear
 
BasariStudios's Avatar
Most likely is the input level. Try driving in like -18 or -15 dbvu.
Old 19th February 2015
  #94
FNM
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Do you happen to remember what preset/settings you used with the TB_Reelbus on that clip? I really like what it's doing.

Thanks!

Dean
Funny you say this because a few days ago I did indeed do a more precise level matched test of these files in my DAW and found the Reelbus to be my clear favorite, followed by the Satson, then the rest. Obviously it's relatively insignificant not knowing the settings and stuff, but it took 5 minutes and was interesting.
Old 19th February 2015
  #95
Lives for gear
 
BasariStudios's Avatar
Urrgghhh, its all confusing...so many things doing so many other things.
Old 19th February 2015
  #96
Lives for gear
Thanks. I have Reelbus, I'll run through some of the presets. I've used the glue presets in the past, I'll give this one a better listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasariStudios View Post
I usually use the Professional Deck on a first hear on the RB, so it must be that.
Mania, as Jimmy said, you have no Headroom because you did not leave any.
Old 19th February 2015
  #97
Lives for gear
 
BasariStudios's Avatar
The professional deck preset bumps the volume a little but its more subtle on the effect and a lot cleaner.
Old 21st May 2015
  #98
back to satson vs. britson: so if i understand correctly and i want some smooth and warm highs i am better off with satson, right? if i want more 3 D sound i am better off with britson, right?
Old 21st May 2015
  #99
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by mittens View Post
bit of a thread hijack, but while people are discussing the Sonimus Britson/Satson (which I personally think are great and priced amazingly), what are peoples thought's on the EQ?

Tried to recently install the free EQ to get an idea but no joy installing for some reason...

but just curious if people were digging it or not?
Try Sweetone, it is a wonderful tool with some great sounds and options. You may like it
Old 22nd May 2015
  #100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
back to satson vs. britson: so if i understand correctly and i want some smooth and warm highs i am better off with satson, right? if i want more 3 D sound i am better off with britson, right?
Britson doesn't sound more 3d . I guess looking at that beautiful golden skin makes you feel that way. Britson is more saturated in the highs (i feel it more in the 4-6khz) and its a really sweet saturation but you may overdo it if increase the highs further with eq.
Satson doesn't sound as bright. I couldn't really pinpoint where it is more apparent but it sounds different. May be slighty bigger sounding. Both find use in different places.
Old 22nd May 2015
  #101
Lives for gear
I'd love if Sonimus jumped in here and gave more detail on what's happening in Satson and Britson, and what the differences are. I know they are supposed to emulate a console, but knowing the details would be useful to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernotroger View Post
I'm not getting into "wrong" or "right" methodology, so...

I don't want Britson on every channel, so I use Ableton 'utility' to set -18dbfs, then adjust the clip level, then if I want to add Britson, I add it for the characteristics, and don't worry about using it as a trim.

Might not be "right", but it works for me, and - here's the thing - nobody else will know either way when they hear the mix! It either sounds good, or it doesn't.
Old 22nd May 2015
  #102
Lives for gear
I've always preferred Satson, maybe because I got used to the sound before trying Britson (but both are good). I'd favour Satson though, it does what I like with my mixes - or the way I am used to mixing (more so than any other similar plug I tried inc NLS etc).
Old 23rd May 2015
  #103
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
Britson doesn't sound more 3d . I guess looking at that beautiful golden skin makes you feel that way. Britson is more saturated in the highs (i feel it more in the 4-6khz) and its a really sweet saturation but you may overdo it if increase the highs further with eq.
Satson doesn't sound as bright. I couldn't really pinpoint where it is more apparent but it sounds different. May be slighty bigger sounding. Both find use in different places.
aha, so the satson is darker sounding.
Old 24th May 2015
  #104
Lives for gear
If you mix with it in place to start (as you should) the darkness (or reverse) of it shouldn't matter one bit. Every mix move you make is working from that base, singing from the same hymn sheet. Britson, satson, noson - whichever you chose, the mix is still your mix and will end up in the same good place where it sounds 'right' to you (be it boosting with high shelves or cutting highs out based on what the mix - with your choice of emu in place - is telling you)
Old 24th May 2015
  #105
Lives for gear
 
Mania's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
aha, so the satson is darker sounding.
Something to do with the GUI im guessing

Seriously though don't underestimate how much the looks can effect your perception, they both sound awesome either way.
Old 24th May 2015
  #106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania View Post
Something to do with the GUI im guessing

Seriously though don't underestimate how much the looks can effect your perception, they both sound awesome either way.
they MUST sound great both 'cause the GUI is great on both ;-)
Old 6th July 2015
  #107
Lives for gear
 

Just read through this thread and felt like clarifying for other potential readers ... BasariStudios is incorrect in many of his/her statements.

You can and SHOULD use Satson/Britson to trim the input signal level. (Trimming beforehand will not achieve anything other than adding a superfluous extra task and take up another insert slot. If your DAW has trims, then feel free to use them, but it's only really necessary if the trim range on Satson/Britson is insufficient to reduce the level to -18dbfs/0dBvu, which would be pretty rare and most likely you'd be dealing with a recording that is already clipped.) This will ensure that you are hitting it at the levels it is calibrated to work at and, assuming the VU meters are accurate, it will also result in proper gain staging over all your tracks.

Personally, I'm going to grab Satson tonight. I was looking for a VU meter with trim function - the fact that it is a console emulator is a bonus to me. And the musical LP/HP filters sealed the deal, making it a great first insert for mixing.
Old 6th July 2015
  #108
Satson is awesome. Its one of the very few plugins that I still pull out after all that initial excitement. Britson buss too
Old 6th July 2015
  #109
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorlove View Post
Satson is awesome. Its one of the very few plugins that I still pull out after all that initial excitement. Britson buss too
good to know! BTW is there a limit on the number of channels/groups? I can see 8 groups on their website, but who knows if adding more will add a scroll bar!


Now to give them my money and add them to my mixing template.
Old 30th May 2018
  #110
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJimmyBuffet View Post
No we were talking about the operation and signal of a coded plugin, something that is a little closer to math than not. I'm not telling him what songs to use it on, I'm telling him how the tool itself works.

I didnt even say dont use it as you like, I was simply clearing up assumptions about how the tool works.
This thread was actually almost exactly what i needed. This thread is even better then Britson videos because it almost cleared my doubt.

Thanks man for your contribution because i was reading other threads and other users and they confuse a HELL out of me but in the end my assumptions were right.

Still i want to be sure so i apologize to everyone if i am making dumb questions but hopefully some of you won't mind it and some of you hopefully will find my questions and experienced Britson users useful.

Let me share my doubts and few scenarios and you can clear me does Britson work like that.

1. Trim doubt. I am seeing this plugin AS a trim plugin so no other plugins before this are needed. These people which posted about having yet another trim in front of Britson forced me to believe i am complete moron not understanding this whole console plugin stuff but this thread actually proiduced some hope for me and my lack of "getting it". To my understanding this plugin is "operating" (in lack of better word) and is most optimal in terms of headroom at -18dbfs right. I see other values in plugin as selection but let us focus on default one. Meaning this. Here goes question: So all i have to do is to use Britson channel first in the chain of plugins and select fader and move it up or down until i see needle around 0 right? That's the most optimal Britson usage when it comes to gain. Am i right?


2. Which lead me to another question - when and how does Mojo/saturation occur in this plugin. When needle goes above 0?

I mean could i use Britson as first instance to gain stage, then for example i add (just example) two or three compressors. LEt say that last one does not have decent metering. But could i use then another Britson at the end (after three compressors) just to gain stage again to get my Britson signal needle around 0? Should that be a good practice which will not color my signal for the second time?

Remember i used my first instance only to get signal needle to 0. Not above. Then my idea is to use second instance at the end to get signal needle in britson to 0 and maybe possibly push it with fader to go little above 0 just to get that desk saturation. If saturation occur above 0. Would that be ok? I mean i a masking would that be ok with regards to double saturation.

Asking because i am worried does two of these (first and last in chain) adding two layers of saturation or i am safe because saturation actually never happen and Britson fader is ultra clean as long as i am not above zero.

If i am right and saturation happens only above zero then in above example good solution would be if i have more individual channels (drums for example) and each one have two britson (as first and last) - i should use Britson grouping only for last instances in each channel if i want later to push them a little from Bus plugin. Right?

Sorry my english is not that good so maybe my questions seems convoluted. Sometimes i have hard time to express what i want to ask. Thanks for everyone and especially Jimmy because you made it clearer a bit for me.

edit: 3 do i overcomplicate and overthink this and in my above scenario that would not be same FX i am seeking for which is analogue desk effect? I should simply put Britson on all channels and BUS on all buses i have and then possibly group them by groups, synths and all that. And all i need is to adjust with fader and care that needle is around 0 and if i want slight drive i simply drive them via grouping tool and that will give me most optimal desk FX. What comes or happens later is later and i will not contribute to more real desk FX if i add Britson channel as last right?


p.s. i love Sonimus and especially Tuco and Burnley. I am shocked these does not get more attention. Ultra light yet awesome sounding plugins. I have VCC, Nebula and all that but for some reason i prefer Sonimus sound. They compete with best without any problem.

Cheers
Old 30th May 2018
  #111
Gear Guru
I basically use the meters like an analogue tape deck. OK to go into the red but not to pin. Figure you're at -18db, so no worries there and floating point in the DAW. If you're pinning the needle, get Hornet VU and use it as a trim plug, fantastic tool. I wouldn't worry about saturation. Britson has a sound and only overdriving it will make it distort. Figure back in the day you had tape, oreamps, a console, whatever effects, and tape generations and submixes. Use your best judgement. Personally I use it with the v73 Black Rooster and am in Mixbus. Plenty of mojo. I use Britson and VCC as my consoles. Stripbus by SKNote is cool and there are also consoles in SDRR. All are fantastic.

I pick a console like I would hardware and just go with it. Britson will always lead you to good places and I like a bunch of small moves rather than one big one. I use the Hornet also on the 2 Buss when getting into gain creep. It has a self leveling feature that is a fail safe and set it and forget!
Old 31st May 2018
  #112
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I use the Hornet also on the 2 Buss when getting into gain creep. It has a self leveling feature that is a fail safe and set it and forget!
Thanks for tips i need to check Hornet stuff yet. I have VCC and Waves etc. But for some reason more i add them more i don't like them. I am not driving them hard but they build up very noticeable harshness (to me). So i see them more as a occasional color effects. Specially VCC. If i need obvious color for drums i use vcc but not as console more like color shape tool.

Britson on the other hand almost never betray me in harshness it's such cool subtle effect like some sort of magic. I can totally imagine desk thing with it. Everything just open up.

Fantastic.
Old 31st May 2018
  #113
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
Thanks for tips i need to check Hornet stuff yet. I have VCC and Waves etc. But for some reason more i add them more i don't like them. I am not driving them hard but they build up very noticeable harshness (to me). So i see them more as a occasional color effects. Specially VCC. If i need obvious color for drums i use vcc but not as console more like color shape tool.

Britson on the other hand almost never betray me in harshness it's such cool subtle effect like some sort of magic. I can totally imagine desk thing with it. Everything just open up.

Fantastic.
For saturation I like: Black Rooster v73 pre, Kush Omega 4561, Hornet sw34 eq,
Vertigo VSC3 (wait for sale), Klanghelm SDRR, MJUC and UBK-1 for comps.

I have but haven't dived into: SKNote Marconi, or Soundtoys sie eq, I have Decapitatior and Echoboy, which also do cool saturation....

If I was buying: Aroma, and the bx Black Box saturators would be something

Funny how distortion can make things pop and sound clearer. 456a is really good for that. VSC3 on the 2 buss with the hifi setting does to a mix what Clariphonic does to highs. A staple for me for sure. BTW Sonimus Sweetone is wonderful and I would buy any Sonimus product on faith alone. they are that good!
Old 4th June 2018
  #114
Gear Nut
Hi,
Do you use Britson Channel at the end of your plugin chain or at the beginning (as stated in the manual). Plugs like Waves NLS advise to use it at the end of the chain.
Old 4th June 2018
  #115
Gear Guru
I would think you patch into a console maybe thru a pre? Then to tape. To tape again on the 2 buss. Good question.
Old 4th June 2018
  #116
Lives for gear
 
screentan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbo View Post
Hi,
Do you use Britson Channel at the end of your plugin chain or at the beginning (as stated in the manual). Plugs like Waves NLS advise to use it at the end of the chain.
I use it as the first insert on the channel like the manual. Particularly if you are using the Hi cut and Lo cut filters this makes most sense.
Old 4th June 2018
  #117
Lives for gear
 

First or last, it's up to you. I'm running Satson channel first with the saturation off as default, some people run it as the last plugin, whatever works for you.
Old 5th June 2018
  #118
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
I'm running Satson channel first with the saturation off as default, some people run it as the last plugin, whatever works for you.
What's the effect of the plugin without saturation?
Old 5th June 2018
  #119
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbo View Post
What's the effect of the plugin without saturation?
VU meter, trim, 6db/12db filters and a mono maker - so it just works like a channel utility. I sometimes turn the saturation on via the grouping or on individual channels. I'm running it off as default and then adding colour where I want it, this works for me as I'm not into the saturation on certain sounds.
Old 21st June 2018
  #120
Gear Addict
 
hodshonf's Avatar
dusting off my Sonimus stuff with my new build.

i thought i had Satson and Britson figured out, but this thread has me thinking otherwise.

to clarify, don't the channel and buss plugins work together?

or can they be used independent of each other?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump