The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus Satson vs Sonimus Britson Saturation Plugins
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJimmyBuffet View Post
How are you driving it?

with a 3-wood
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Not naming names, but it's exhausting how some people are only happy when EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG.

I say: it's just another tool. Use it if you understand it. Use it if you don't understand it. Some results will sound better or worse than others; this may or may not be connected to how "correct" the usage of the tool was.

That's just my opinion. We can't all be right all the time. But sometimes we might make great sounding tracks, which might involve a little bit of mystery...
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by penumbra View Post
yer a funny guy NotJimmeyBuffet... its cool... no hard feelings Champ
Haha I was just teasing ;P

Quote:
Not naming names, but it's exhausting how some people are only happy when EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG.

I say: it's just another tool. Use it if you understand it. Use it if you don't understand it. Some results will sound better or worse than others; this may or may not be connected to how "correct" the usage of the tool was.

That's just my opinion. We can't all be right all the time. But sometimes we might make great sounding tracks, which might involve a little bit of mystery...
I'm certainly not only happy when everyone else is wrong. I'm happy to have information that others can use to improve their workflow, or understand their tools better.

Some people on the other hand are just so damn ignorant, they get mad when someone lets them know the way a certain piece of equipment works, and because they've been doing it wrong up until that point, then want to justify it.

I'm much rather be correct and smug than wrong and ignorant.

But it has nothing to do with being happy, or smug, or being better. It's merely just information. Would you be bitching if someone came int a thread on math to post the correct formula, or a thread on literature, to say the date a work was published?

Most people would be very happy to have the most correct information. I dont know why this turned into an ego battle for you, but I hope you one day find the love you so desperately need to not feel attacked by people spreading true information on the internet.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by penumbra View Post
with a 3-wood
My point is, he's probably using his synth, which is clipping, then lowering it with Britson, leading to his results(which is why I suspect he never came back to tell us). As I said before, I added 30+ decibels of clean gain into a guitar track, and it distorted and clipped, then I brought the Gain back down with Britson, and it stopped.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
This isn't math or biography, it is an art and there is no shame in ignorance here.

Do what feels good to you.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

No we were talking about the operation and signal of a coded plugin, something that is a little closer to math than not. I'm not telling him what songs to use it on, I'm telling him how the tool itself works.

I didnt even say dont use it as you like, I was simply clearing up assumptions about how the tool works.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Oh i am here, i will come back...trust me...and i am driving it hmm...automatic...i don't like stick shift.
And trust me I KNOW exactly what i am doing, being kinda doing it for the last 20 or so years.
Problem is we misunderstood each other. Your way is correct and my way is correct. The thing about
my way is MAKES SURE nothing gets F*D up on the way there for unexperienced people.
Hitting Pre Britson at 0dbVU or adjusting in Britson 0dbVU, you are correct, its the same.
But if a VSTi is overdriven before it hits Pre Britson, Britson will do nothing to change it except
lower the overal Volume, that was my whole point, get it now?
And the reason i got stuck to it not everyone is experience as me or you or anyone,
doing it my way just makes sure there will be no artifacts.
Still, the BEST way to do it when using VST Instruments, not recorded Audio is to either put a
VU Meter Pre Britson or use Britson's Meter it self, then adjust Master Volume in the VST itself.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Nut

Exactly like I said tho, if you're clipping your VSTi, you're screwed anyways and everything if irrelevant
Old 17th September 2014
Lives for gear

I was wondering how similar Britson would sound to the Satson Modern emulation?
Anybody compared it on that setting?
Old 11th November 2014
Gear Head
Gosh this thread went a bit wonky. As they can on GS right?

Main debaters apart from Jimmy totally confused the situation imo.

A lot of digital source material is AT 0dBfs or just under it. It's very rare you pick up any sort of audio with those levels these days UNLESS you're recording it yourself, or another professional has recorded it. Sample CD samples are all normalised, synth presets are usually as loud as they can be before clipping (0dBfs)...

Satson and Britson are to set your input gain of your already strong sound source guitar amp/normalised sample, same difference.

Anyway,

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
The lack of a steeper hp filter on the Brit is a major difference. As are the variations on the Brit bus.

I find sat to have a creamy top. The Brit is a tad buzzy.

Either can be better or worse than the other depending in need.

My fastest version of when is best:

Sat- for taming, fixing, making room

Brit- for enriching, texturing, glueing
Accurate description, good choice of words. Think the SSL/Sat is a little more punchy? Think some one else said down the line that the Brit bass is a little more wooly, I agree with that statement. Also that Brit is probably better suited to retro, acoustic certain types of music.

I produce Drum n Bass and just wrote a new tune using Brit and it's... sounds dope, it's a very obvious effect compared to Satson though, which I'm used too. Brit's very coloured, rich mids, spacious and huggy. Very interesting result, not sounding like much DNB out there but it's definitely not bad, it works.

I am curious though. Does anyone know the interaction between the Brit channel and busses? Do they depend on eachother, any precautions of mixing the two? Drums in Brit channel and drum subgroup Brit buss and everything else Satson with Brit buss on the Master buss? Any thoughts?
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

I decided to try and answer my own question and bought Britson even though I already own Satson, NLS and VCC. I nearly didn't bother with Britson as I was succumbing to the price biased thinking that surely a $39 plugin wouldn't be as good as the ones costing 4X that. Sonimus don't offer demos so it was a $40 gamble as I was pretty sure one of my existing console emulations would be similar or better than Britson. I tested the same dance track I'm currently mixing with with Satson, NLS Neve, VCC Neve, VCC API, VCC RC and Britson with Britson ending up as my favourite followed closely by VCC API. The Britson sounded clearer, more open and 3D imo.
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

I prefer Satson Channel and Britson Buss. Satson Channel's filters are smoother to my ears and I prefer the saturation when driven.

Britson Buss I can actually hear more "doing something" than Satson Buss and it seems to give me some definition and tighness in the low end.

Also it has 3 algos (standard, bright, loud) which are a nice addition and very useful to me
Old 14th February 2015
FNM
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, I thought I would use this thread to ask a question.

Is it true that there is no global bypass with these plugins? A way to instantly demo it with all instances in and then all instances bypassed?

I thought I had read that somewhere, and just looking at the GUI it seems that way (does the grouping work with bypass?).

Thanks.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

You can ByPass everything with the Bus...it has separate controls for Fat and ON/OFF.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear
Thank you for posting that. I really appreciate it. Very interesting.

I hope you'll leave that up for a while, as I would like to be able to return to it.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasariStudios View Post
This is a little comparison i did today, it includes Briston, Satson, 112db Redline Preamp and ReelBus.
More info is in the Playlist information:
https://soundcloud.com/basaristudios...oles-emulation
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

No problem Dean, its on SoundCloud so it will basically stay there, i have a Pro Account.
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear
Wow, the Slate VTM is the sledgehammer of tape/console emulations. I'm not sure what machine SS used for his emulations, but it must have a 60hz head bump that is really, really off the charts. Seems like more than 3db, maybe even 4-6 db.

I had a Tascam 80-8 once upon a time, and it had a 3db head bump at 60hz, and I considered that a big problem. But I always assumed the high-end machines (80-8 was considered pro-sumer) were far more accurate. Evidently not always.

Dean

Quote:
This is a little comparison i did today, it includes Briston, Satson, 112db Redline Preamp and ReelBus.
Old 15th February 2015
FNM
Gear Maniac

`

Quote:
You can ByPass everything with the Bus...it has separate controls for Fat and ON/OFF.
So I finally read the manual for the Satson and it states that the on/off on the buss controls global 'saturation'... Is that so if you use the gain knob you can still A/B with the tracks at the same levels? Is saturation basically what this plugin does? I thought maybe there was some other stuff going on behind the scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Wow, the Slate VTM is the sledgehammer of tape/console emulations. I'm not sure what machine SS used for his emulations, but it must have a 60hz head bump that is really, really off the charts. Seems like more than 3db, maybe even 4-6 db.

I had a Tascam 80-8 once upon a time, and it had a 3db head bump at 60hz, and I considered that a big problem. But I always assumed the high-end machines (80-8 was considered pro-sumer) were far more accurate. Evidently not always.

Dean
I agree and that level boost makes it really hard for me to compare. It seems like it's the best, but I can't tell. I think I like the Satson. Before that, I was more interested in the Britson. Already have Reelbus, which is a great plugin.
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear
Initially I liked VTM (I own it) but lately I find myself using it less and less. First there is the head bump, which is so exaggerated that I have started to really dislike it. And also, the UI messes up Samplitude when bridging during playback. So when I run a 64-bit VTM instance in 32-bit Samplitude, bringing up VTM's UI with the spinning reels will lock Samplitude up. Freezes it. So I always have to be careful not to bring up the UI while playing back audio. Very, very annoying.

Personally, I don't consider VTM the best in those example files. Because of the exaggerated frequency response I consider it the worst. Unless, of course you have a very thin mix and want to add 4-6 db at 60 hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM View Post
I agree and that level boost makes it really hard for me to compare. It seems like it's the best, but I can't tell. I think I like the Satson. Before that, I was more interested in the Britson. Already have Reelbus, which is a great plugin.
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Maniac

bit of a thread hijack, but while people are discussing the Sonimus Britson/Satson (which I personally think are great and priced amazingly), what are peoples thought's on the EQ?

Tried to recently install the free EQ to get an idea but no joy installing for some reason...

but just curious if people were digging it or not?
Old 15th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mittens View Post
bit of a thread hijack, but while people are discussing the Sonimus Britson/Satson (which I personally think are great and priced amazingly), what are peoples thought's on the EQ?

Tried to recently install the free EQ to get an idea but no joy installing for some reason...

I got the soneq free version a few month ago and it still gets used among the paid plugins. Its a very neat and useful plugin . low cpu, good filters. Especially love how it removes sub bass and mud from tracks which do not need them.
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear
I have the SonEQ Pro, and like it a lot. It is a hybrid emulation of several EQ's, with a couple of twists, and it's unique. The low end is modeled after a pultec, while (from what I can tell, don't quote me) the mids and highs are modeled after Neve EQ's. There is also a drive knob for adding saturation.

I got it a few weeks ago, and it has become my go-to EQ for bass and kick drums. I'm still finding my way round it, so I may start using it on other things.

One thing however - the Pro version is similar to the free EQ, but with a lot more features and flexibility. If you aren't getting it to work you will likely have the same problem with the Pro version.

Dean

Quote:

Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
The free version is quite old and 32-bit only.
Old 15th February 2015
FNM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Initially I liked VTM (I own it) but lately I find myself using it less and less. First there is the head bump, which is so exaggerated that I have started to really dislike it. And also, the UI messes up Samplitude when bridging during playback. So when I run a 64-bit VTM instance in 32-bit Samplitude, bringing up VTM's UI with the spinning reels will lock Samplitude up. Freezes it. So I always have to be careful not to bring up the UI while playing back audio. Very, very annoying.

Personally, I don't consider VTM the best in those example files. Because of the exaggerated frequency response I consider it the worst. Unless, of course you have a very thin mix and want to add 4-6 db at 60 hz.
I still can't tell. I like them in the order that they seems the loudest, VTM/VCC, Satson, Reelbuss/112db, Britson, bypassed. I tried some fancy volume knob dancing and I think maybe I would like the Britson if it didn't seem the quietest. Not sure what I would rate them in a precisely level matched blind demo, but I may try downloading them and setting it up. This is why I asked about global bypass for the Sonimus stuff, because unless I can do instant level matched A/B's I just have a hard time telling whether or not I like things this subtle.
Old 16th February 2015
Lives for gear
I'm not even sure if it's possible to truly level match them, at least in an effective manner. The bass boost on VTM creates a psychoacoustic effect that it is louder, and therefore "better".

In the past, for situations where levels don't match I turn the volume knob all the way down, and turn it up to listening level for each clip. It's imprecise but if you do it a few times you get an idea.

I don't even think I have a "best". All do something interesting to the sound, and at a different moment I might prefer one or another. I just find the VTM's excessive bass boost annoying.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM View Post
I still can't tell. I like them in the order that they seems the loudest, VTM/VCC, Satson, Reelbuss/112db, Britson, bypassed. I tried some fancy volume knob dancing and I think maybe I would like the Britson if it didn't seem the quietest. Not sure what I would rate them in a precisely level matched blind demo, but I may try downloading them and setting it up. This is why I asked about global bypass for the Sonimus stuff, because unless I can do instant level matched A/B's I just have a hard time telling whether or not I like things this subtle.
Old 16th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Jimmy View Post
The free version is quite old and 32-bit only.
figured it may be... I have 32lives but wasn't fussed about checking to see if was 32bit only...

thank you...
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Hey guys, i contacted the boys at sonimus about Britson and Satson being annoying and eating up my headroom while keeping the same RMS and subjective loudness. They said it was just the harmonics of the saturation. It really is quite annoying, since I love the sound of them but headroom is very important to me. Maybe its DC offset or something?

Here is an image of the effects of a distorted saw wave, with britson on the master. same thing with satson.

http://puu.sh/fZ0JR/38e470dbdb.png
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania View Post
Hey guys, i contacted the boys at sonimus about Britson and Satson being annoying and eating up my headroom while keeping the same RMS and subjective loudness. They said it was just the harmonics of the saturation. It really is quite annoying, since I love the sound of them but headroom is very important to me. Maybe its DC offset or something?

Here is an image of the effects of a distorted saw wave, with britson on the master. same thing with satson.

http://puu.sh/fZ0JR/38e470dbdb.png
How hard are hitting Satson? Pretty hard I suspect.
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania View Post
You have a headroom problem because you aren't leaving yourself any! It looks like you're hitting your bus too hard. The nominal operating level for these plugins is around -18dBFS RMS or in the -10dBFS peak vicinity, whichever you get to first.
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear
Do you happen to remember what preset/settings you used with the TB_Reelbus on that clip? I really like what it's doing.

Thanks!

Dean

Quote:
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search