The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Ultimate Piano Shootout Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Head

Can someone post the Imperial (the above clips have glitches in them)? And anyone out there with Ivory II want to chime in?
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

I don't think it makes sense to have a midi file with variable tempo. Cubase didn't get the tempo when I imported the midi file. Probably my fault somehow. And, how to compensate for the differences in volume. I'm sure you've thought of this. Just curious.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Head

When you go File>Import>MIDI file, Cubase asks if you want to create a new project. Answering yes imports the tempo for me. Just in case though, attached is a Nuendo/Cubase file with the MIDI and tempo.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Piano Test.npr.zip (21.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJon View Post
When you go File>Import>MIDI file, Cubase asks if you want to create a new project. Answering yes imports the tempo for me. Just in case though, attached is a Nuendo/Cubase file with the MIDI and tempo.
Well, you learn something new every day. Thankfully.

I had already created the project before importing and couldn't find the tempo data. I've redone the test and updated the file I posted earlier.

I was able to open the Nuendo file with Cubase 7.5. Thank you. Already on Nuendo 6.5? Didn't that come out today or yesterday?
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

my contribution

Somehow i can't manage to upload the mp3's, it says too large whatever.

Link to Dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6ayw787ts...IdZAuf8OQNzwVa

Note: the NordPiano was recorded direct from the output into MboxPro3, and at the loudest passage it distorts a little, but I didn't feel like doing it again. When played from its own keyboard, I can't get it to distort the MboxPro's input.

FWIW, my fav patches are the Nord's GrandLadyD and HalionSonic's Natural Grand. Those are the only ones that feel natural to play to me.

Go figure, the Nord's GLD is 79MB...
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Head

By the way - when I upload the files, I can only add two at a time in the Manage Attachments. So I upload two. Add two more. Add two more. Etc. When I try to do more than two at once it fails.

These are from zephonic (see above post).
Attached Files
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

2 more - NI The Giant and True Keys American side mics (which was not included in the earlier post from VI Labs).

The Giant has velocity @ -15 adjustments from inspector in Cubase because it sounded way too harsh and painful during the loud part. I hope that's okay? No adjustments on TK American.
Attached Files

TrueKeys American Side.mp3 (5.88 MB, 4333 views)

NI The Giant.mp3 (5.88 MB, 4491 views)

Old 24th July 2014
Gear Head

Second video:

Demonstrated are:
00:23 CFX Abbey Road (Garritan) - Classic Perspective
03:00 CFX Abbey Road (Garritan) - Contemporary Perspective
05:37 CFX Abbey Road (Garritan) - Player Perspective
08:15 Production Grand LE (Production Voices) - Modern Edition
10:52 Production Grand LE (Production Voices) - Vintage Edition
13:29 Ravenscroft (VI Labs) - Close Perspective
16:07 Ravenscroft (VI Labs) - Player Perspective
18:45 Ravenscroft (VI Labs) - Room Perspective
21:23 Ravenscroft (VI Labs) - Side Perspective
24:01 True Keys (VI Labs) - American (Close)
26:40 True Keys (VI Labs) - German (Close)
29:18 True Keys (VI Labs) - Italian (Close)
31:56 Piano in Blue (Cinesamples)
34:27 Piano in Blue (Cinesamples) - No Tape
36:59 White Grand Piano (Quasar Sounds)
39:33 Session Keys (eInstruments) - The Grand S
42:05 Galaxy Vintage D (Galaxy Instruments)
44:37 Steinway Basic (Garritan)
47:10 Halion (Steinberg) - Bright Concert Grand
49:43 Halion Sonic (Steinberg) - Natural Grand
52:15 Kontakt (Native Instruments) - New York Concert Grand
54:48 Grand Lady D (Nord)
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Head

My intended theme is pretty well laid out in the first post. If you're using that MIDI file and unadulterated sample libraries, post away! If you're having trouble getting them uploaded on this site, make sure you read the first post (only add two MP3s at a time). If you're still having difficulty, PM me with Dropbox (or similar) links so I can download and post your examples.
Old 24th July 2014
Here for the gear

Totally missed the two attachment part. Here are some from PianoTeq! I have Ivory II as well, and will upload those tomorrow.
Attached Files

PIANOTEQ_DAILY_PRACTICE.mp3 (6.30 MB, 4182 views)

PIANOTEQ_PLAYER_CLEAN.mp3 (6.30 MB, 3975 views)

PIANOTEQ_PLAYER_CLEAN_MONO.mp3 (6.41 MB, 3831 views)

Old 24th July 2014
Gear Head

Probably wasn't there. I keep updating the OP as pertinent. Thanks for your contributions and I look forward to the Ivory II samples!
Old 24th July 2014
Here for the gear

Hi, I have done some bouncing with Vienna Imperial, as the former one had some glitches.

DAW: Reaper
Settings: Max Poly, 2sus on, Reverb off, vol -8,5db
Attached Files
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Head

Killer, thanks Burtan! I removed the Imperial samples that were originally provided to me.
Old 26th July 2014
Here for the gear

Here are a few from Ivory II!
Attached Files
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun
Not really sure how useful this test is, given the variations between each library, how they were sampled number of layers velocity response etc. You could use one midi which makes piano X sound better than piano Y, but then use a completely different midi which makes piano Y sound better than piano X.

Really in the end its not just about raw sample quality, but about which piano library suits the way you play the keyboard best. When you find the one that makes you feel like you're playing a real piano and lose track of time just playing, then you have a personal choice winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockJon
@Arksun With all due respect, I mostly disagree with you. I agree it's important to be comfortable playing whichever library upon which you settle. That said, I think a lot can be distinguished simply by listening to the differences between them. The MIDI file here most certainly was not prepared with any particular library in mind. As stated in the OP, it's dynamic and covers a majority of the piano's range and was selected for that reason alone.

More, I've not driven anyone toward one library over another. While I suspect a discussion will eventually ensue, I expect everyone will draw their own conclusions. The furthest extent to which I'm interested in others' opinions is helping me hear things that aren't readily apparent to me. That said, I have yet to be compelled to share my options with others. I think with a test like this, the evidence speaks for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
The gist of it is this: every library has different velocity response. The MIDI file was played with a certain sound, and the player would (hopefully) adjust his playing instinctively to the way the sound responds to his/her input.

Another sound may have different cross-over points for the layers, and as a result could sound either too static or too dynamic.

I am not saying this test is not useful, and I'll participate, but it is good to be aware of the caveats and not draw any definite conclusions.

On a different note: all these mp3's make this thread really sluggish and slow to respond. Isn't there a better way to do this? Maybe host the mp3's somewhere else and just provide links here?

Either way, I'll add Galaxy Vintage D, Cinesamples PianoInBlue v2, HalionSonic Natural Grand, Halion4 BrightConcertGrand, Kontakt NewYorkGrand, Garritan Steinway Basic, and my trusty NordPiano.
Just chiming in with the fact that I agree with the above comments and would have made a similar post to Zephonic's. However, I really value the effort in the thread and have already enjoyed listening to a couple of pianos I have wondered about (white piano, which is too edgy for me, and piano in blue particularly). Over decades of learning the hard way I found (like most of us) that subjectivity is king and that numbers/specs/listening to demos of any instrument is a misguiding surrogate for spending just a few hours noodling around something. Even the first (and well chosen) example on Alicia's Keys sounds completely different from my standard set up (Eq. and compression/reverb) on the same instrument that I have been playing along on as I listen to this intriguing list. Great effort by the OP and will be popping back in regularly with the proviso in my head that it's all great information, but I'd have to play with my own master keyboard in my own environment before being able to accurately decide on my own genuine preference. Good work guys.
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Head

Glad you're enjoying it! Third video:

Demonstrated are:
00:22 Vienna Imperial (Vienna Instruments) - Close Perspective
02:56 Vienna Imperial (Vienna Instruments) - Player Perspective
05:30 Vienna Imperial (Vienna Instruments) - Distant Perspective
08:04 Ivory II (Synthogy) - Bosendorfer 290
10:45 Ivory II (Synthogy) - German D
13:25 Ivory II (Synthogy) - Studio C7
16:06 D4 Grand Piano (Pianoteq) - Daily Practice
18:47 D4 Grand Piano (Pianoteq) - Player (Clean)
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Head

This video demonstrates how to apply the Voxengo Curve EQ to one piano sample library to make it sound closer to another one. Of course I realize there's much more to the equation than EQ -- this video does not make the Alicia's Keys library sound like the Vienna Imperial...it does, however, make it sound closer. I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

The Voxengo Curve EQ images for (most) all the pianos are attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Piano Voxengo EQs.zip (142.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Ok some files from XLN Audio Addictive Keys (Studio Grand and Modern Upright). The presets are taken from the "As recorded" section of the plugin, meaning it amounts to different mic-placements but no EQ, no artificial reverb etc.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

the ew sound harsh to me, the dynamics are good though
Old 31st July 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

I finally got around to recording some files (in Logic X). My favourite atm is the 8Dio 1969 Steinway Legacy Grand Piano. Maestro Concert Grand also deserves special mention, as it is entirely free.

The Production Grand is the "Gold" edition at 24 bit 44.1 kHz.
Attached Files

1969 Legacy Piano.mp3 (6.13 MB, 3867 views)

Emotional Piano - Jazz preset.mp3 (6.53 MB, 3748 views)

Evolution Rosewood Grand.mp3 (6.30 MB, 3753 views)

Ivory 1 Steinway.mp3 (6.19 MB, 3778 views)

Maestro Concert Grand.mp3 (6.30 MB, 3683 views)

Miroslav Philharmonik Steinway.mp3 (5.96 MB, 3676 views)

NI Vienna Concert Grand.mp3 (6.41 MB, 3671 views)

Production Grand - Tube & 414 microphones.mp3 (6.81 MB, 3688 views)

Sampletekk Blue Grand.mp3 (6.41 MB, 3762 views)

Old 1st August 2014
Here for the gear

Sampletekk Black - Close (Steinway D)
black_grand_close.mp3

Sampletekk Black - Medium (Steinway D)
black_grand_medium.mp3

Sampletekk TBO (Yamaha C7)
sampletekk_TBO.mp3

Sampletekk 7CG (Yamaha C7)
sampletekk_7CG.mp3
Old 1st August 2014
Here for the gear

This one is a C7 Grand, by AcousticSamples. Right now it is with a summer discount of 30% off.

Close Mic
acoustic_samples_C7-close.mp3

Player Mic
acoustic_samples_C7-player.mp3

Side Mic
acoustic_samples_C7-side.mp3
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Great thread! IMHO though the big problem with playing the same MIDI file through different VSTi is that you are not really playing the piano. The expression, style, velocity, etc is all based upon the particular VSTi that the performer was using during the creation of the MIDI file.
For example, when I play Ivory American D I play differently than when I choose say PianoTeq or Ivory Italian Grand.
They are all different instruments and all react differently to playing style.

Just a thought.
Old 2nd August 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
They are all different instruments and all react differently to playing style.
There's no way around it - unless someone owns all VIs and is willing to record the same piece dozens of times.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
There's no way around it - unless someone ones all VIs and is willing to record the same piece dozens of times.
Absolutely!
Old 2nd August 2014
Deleted User
I think it is common sense that there will be many variables and factors, and that trying to make every piano have the same 'settings' is impossible. It just is what it is like anything audio.

I think Alicia Keys sounds the best. All the Grand 3 stuff sounds good until you play the higher octaves of the piano, then it just sounds horrendous.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothjazz View Post
I think Alicia Keys sounds the best.
That seems to be a well-rounded library. And everybody using it, loves it.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

This question is useless without a mix to judge. The "Best piano" by itself in this context might be the worst piano in a mix.
Old 3rd August 2014
Great thread, looking forward to listening through all of these!
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Still missing an Ivory II American Concert D...
http://www.ilio.com/products/synthogy-instruments/acd
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search