The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Multiface Pro - is it true?
Old 9th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
RME Multiface Pro - is it true?

Say this thread while researching:

http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum5/HTML/010162.html

It says a RME Multiface Pro will be released that has: "firewire interface 19 inch rackmount and 112 dB S/N -- includes 4 class A mic Pres Adat I/O and their high quality low jitter clock technology".

I don't know if it's acutally true or, if it is, when it will be released.

Does anyone know anymore about this? Perhaps a NAMM product?
Old 10th December 2003
CV7
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Probably True, I've heard they are improving their line, but I still don't like their converters.
Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you want to do stuff now, don't wait for it. Even if it is announced at NAMM, don't expect to see it on the shelves until the summer at the earliest. Look at what happened with the MADI card that was announced at NAMM last year.

--Ben
Old 10th December 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I've got the MADI card and two ADI648s in my current system. Believe me, it was worth the wait!

GigaBoy
Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not saying it wasn't worth the wait... If you need a product now or in the very near future, you aren't going to get it. I'm just saying that to wait for gear [that hasn't been officially announced (just hinted at) that may or may not be announced at NAMM (empty box on the floor?) and will probably take months for it to finally hit the shelved] is not a smart idea. Get what you need- if you like RME, they've got plenty of great products out right now- and when this wonder box comes out, you can use it...

I've heard the rumors and it does sound like a very cool I/O box. If it is everything that I've heard, sounds like a great location box.

--Ben
Old 10th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yeah, not to concerned about the wait - I realize NAMM annoucements don't exactly hit the shelfs a week later. I figure I can get by with what I have now, and if I find a steller deal on ebay for a Multiface, I'll probably pick it up. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by GigaBoy
I've got the MADI card and two ADI648s in my current system. Believe me, it was worth the wait!

GigaBoy
this is all PC gear - correct? No Mac drivers?
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I have not seen drivers for Mac for the MADI card yet, but, assume they will be coming. Their other products do have Mac drivers. But, it's my understanding that RME gear performs best with PCs.
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by GigaBoy
I have not seen drivers for Mac for the MADI card yet, but, assume they will be coming. Their other products do have Mac drivers. But, it's my understanding that RME gear performs best with PCs.
Sorry - I got it confused with Egosys products. What are the ADI648's?
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
ADI648 is a 64 channel MADI to ADAT converter and router.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/adi/adi648.htm
Old 13th December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RME sucks. Unless you're using the PC. They're really a PC company. Their mac tech support is hapless and they never update the mac drivers.
Old 13th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
RME sucks. Unless you're using the PC.
I'm on a pc - if RME sucks, what others do you suggest?
Old 13th December 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
RME sucks. Unless you're using the PC. They're really a PC company. Their mac tech support is hapless and they never update the mac drivers.
Fae, wow strong statements. I was on the verge of buying the multiface for my G4 laptop portable rig. I'd had feedback from another person here at GS that the OSX drivers were working great in his digiface...

I'm looking for an audio interface for portable with the features of the multiface that uses a cardbuss as opposed to usb or firewire. I need that no-wait-state, some built in DSP so that my CPU can run as strong as possible. What are YOU recommending thes days for a MAC?

Thanks!
Old 13th December 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Multiface with PC worked really really good, with no problems at all... can't recommend anything more on budget...

Mac can be different story though
Old 13th December 2003
rlg
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm using the multiface with a Win XP Pro laptop, and it works _really_ well. The drivers are just absolutely fantastic, and they're updated regularly. No problem getting stable 3 ms latency, and the TotalMix routing software is great. The converters don't suck, but I'm considering adding better converters to the rig, connected to the multiface through the digital ins. You could also get a digiface, and use your own converters entirely, or any of the PCI cards they have.

Getting a stable setup with rock-solid drivers seems to be half the battle in computer recording, and after previous headaches with Yamaha, Tascam and Apogee drivers, RME gets a big thumbs up for their PC support. If you don't like the converters, get your own, and you can still benefit from the RME digital routing.

Don't hold your breath for new RME gear to arrive, however; there's generally a very long lead time between product announcements and widespread availability.
Old 13th December 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by matucha
Multiface with PC worked really really good, with no problems at all... can't recommend anything more on budget...

Mac can be different story though
I'm not so much on a budget...what else is available, that is card buss connected, with multiple analog and digital ins/outs, adat/midi/spdif/ etc etc? I haven't seen much else...
Old 15th December 2003
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Well, it IS true:

RME Multiface Pro:

36 Channel 24 Bit/96 kHz I/O Box

The Multiface Pro brings the Award-winning Multiface to a new level. Based on RME's successful interface, the Pro version comes with the latest generation of AD/DA converters to raise the SNR of all analog inputs and outputs to more than 112 dB. While the unit is still portable and operates with almost any power supply source including batteries, it adds 4 balanced discrete microphone inputs with Class-A frontend, 48V phantom power, and configurable inserts, which are also usable as additional line input. A special Instrument/Line input offers Limiter, Speaker emulation and Overdrive functionality for perfection operation with keyboards, guitar or bass. The reference level of all analog I/Os can be set to three different levels. All hardware settings are performed in software, except for the mic gains and the headphone output volume (pots).
While the unit is limited to 18 record and playback channels each (8 analog plus 8 ADAT plus 2 SPDIF), there is no stopping in using all I/Os at the same time. For example Mic input 1 can replace the rear Line input 1, or be used at the same time (internal mixing), or even be used together with the Insert when configured as additional line input. This way, you end up having up to 17 analog sources connected to the Multiface Pro, which can be recorded on 8 separate channels!
But there's more: the Multiface Pro also operates stand-alone. An internal memory boots and configures the unit on power-up, including the last used TotalMix setup. This way, the unit can be used as stand-alone AD/DA converter, format converter, guitar or mic frontend/pre-amplifier, monitoring/mixing solution etc etc.
SteadyClock, RME's latest invention in clocking technology, is also part of the Multiface Pro. SteadyClock makes the unit become a clock reference for your whole studio, a clock refresher/jitter remover, and ensures the best AD/DA conversion (that is sound) under all circumstances and clock setups.

Overview: Based on the technology of the Project Hammerfall the Multiface Pro includes ADAT optical I/O, SPDIF I/O, MIDI I/O, word clock I/O and a separate analog headphone output. On top we provide 8 analog inputs and outputs, balanced and 96 kHz/24 bit, of course. All this can be used on laptops as well as on desktop computers with 'zero CPU load' and low latency!
Γ― 8 x analog line I/O, 96 kHz/24 bit, SNR > 112 dBA, 1/4" TRS jacks
Γ― ADAT digital I/O
Γ― SPDIF digital I/O
Γ― Word clock I/O (BNC)
Γ― analog line/headphone output, separate output for independent submix, separate volume control
Γ― MIDI I/O, 16 channels high-speed MIDI
Γ― TotalMix: 720 channel mixer with 40 bit internal resolution
Γ― Detachable rackmounts included
Attached Thumbnails
RME Multiface Pro - is it true?-rmemultifacepro.jpg  
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Hmmm, sort of like MOTU on the PC, right?

My RME 96/52 works flawlessly and sounds just fine.

Mark
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mplancke
Hmmm, sort of like MOTU on the PC, right?

My RME 96/52 works flawlessly and sounds just fine.

Mark
I know several people who are enjoying flawless RME performance on the Mac.

Digiface/Multiface/9652/9632 - no problems.
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
ex-cellent

Quote:
Originally posted by DrDeltaM

RME Multiface Pro:

36 Channel 24 Bit/96 kHz I/O Box

The Multiface Pro brings the Award-winning Multiface to a new level. Based on RME's successful interface, the Pro version comes with the latest generation of AD/DA converters to raise the SNR of all analog inputs and outputs to more than 112 dB. While the unit is still portable and operates with almost any power supply source including batteries, it adds 4 balanced discrete microphone inputs with Class-A frontend, 48V phantom power, and configurable inserts, which are also usable as additional line input. A special Instrument/Line input offers Limiter, Speaker emulation and Overdrive functionality for perfection operation with keyboards, guitar or bass. The reference level of all analog I/Os can be set to three different levels. All hardware settings are performed in software, except for the mic gains and the headphone output volume (pots).
While the unit is limited to 18 record and playback channels each (8 analog plus 8 ADAT plus 2 SPDIF), there is no stopping in using all I/Os at the same time. For example Mic input 1 can replace the rear Line input 1, or be used at the same time (internal mixing), or even be used together with the Insert when configured as additional line input. This way, you end up having up to 17 analog sources connected to the Multiface Pro, which can be recorded on 8 separate channels!
But there's more: the Multiface Pro also operates stand-alone. An internal memory boots and configures the unit on power-up, including the last used TotalMix setup. This way, the unit can be used as stand-alone AD/DA converter, format converter, guitar or mic frontend/pre-amplifier, monitoring/mixing solution etc etc.
SteadyClock, RME's latest invention in clocking technology, is also part of the Multiface Pro. SteadyClock makes the unit become a clock reference for your whole studio, a clock refresher/jitter remover, and ensures the best AD/DA conversion (that is sound) under all circumstances and clock setups.

Overview: Based on the technology of the Project Hammerfall the Multiface Pro includes ADAT optical I/O, SPDIF I/O, MIDI I/O, word clock I/O and a separate analog headphone output. On top we provide 8 analog inputs and outputs, balanced and 96 kHz/24 bit, of course. All this can be used on laptops as well as on desktop computers with 'zero CPU load' and low latency!
Γ― 8 x analog line I/O, 96 kHz/24 bit, SNR > 112 dBA, 1/4" TRS jacks
Γ― ADAT digital I/O
Γ― SPDIF digital I/O
Γ― Word clock I/O (BNC)
Γ― analog line/headphone output, separate output for independent submix, separate volume control
Γ― MIDI I/O, 16 channels high-speed MIDI
Γ― TotalMix: 720 channel mixer with 40 bit internal resolution
Γ― Detachable rackmounts included
pretty darn cool. It is conceivable that they could develop converters that will win the respect of discriminating ears. This could be it. Can't wait to hear it. Class A is It. Clock thing sounds great. They are talking about the right stuff. Never say Never. This company is on the ball.
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The RME pcmcia card works flawlessly under OS X. I know 3 guys who use it with their G4 TiBooks, after I recommended it to them. There is no other better card for a laptop in terms of performance. I wouldn't trust doing a Firewire interface or a USB interface if I'm recording more than 8 tracks at a time. I think the DIGI 002 or 002r milght be an exception. RME know how to do great interfaces for laptops, period. I also run this card on my Sony Vaio, and because of the credibility of this company I bought a PC. It's the first time I ever used a PC, and I've been a Mac user for 10 years. If anybody things RME is crap, they are on crack, or are drinking some of the dumbass cool aid juice....
I have not used a better card for latency in a Native environment. In fact when I was using my TDM rig with apps like Cubase and Logic, the latency was horrible when I wanted to use VSTi's. Not only that, but I was able to run more VST plugs with the RME card. I"m talking about the RME card that was included with the Nuendo Bundle. I was using the Digi interfaces under ASIO vs. RME in Asio. I still have my TDM rig, but I use my Sony Laptop as a VST host, running VST instruments and and effects, and using the RME card there is no latency whatsover. I lightpipe 8 channels to my ADAT bridge. If you want to waist your money you could by a MOTU product......I've heard good things about Metric Halo Firewire interface, but it has taken them 2 years to finish their DSP mixer, and their plug in development is moving at a snails pace. Overall you can say I don't trust them very much.
My 2 cents....

eskay.
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by eskay
.I've heard good things about Metric Halo Firewire interface, but it has taken them 2 years to finish their DSP mixer, and their plug in development is moving at a snails pace. Overall you can say I don't trust them very much.
The AD/DA is good. Sucessful Digital input sync is spotty to nonexistant - varying reports from different users. Lots of reports of "digital grunge" - to my knowledge still unresolved - and a problem since the beginning. Higher SR's are more problematic. Sustained digital sync thru ADAT, AES and S/PDIF very problematic - might be resolvable by using external word clock - again varying reports. All of this gathered from posts on the user's forum - link at http://www.mhlabs.com

thanks for the other stuff eskay - useful input - and nice to hear a glowing report of the Vaio - that too has been an item of contention. Glad to hear it is working for you.
Old 15th December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
interesting stuff.

I was about to take the plunge into a MOTU 828mk2 for my G4 powerbook (OSX) but this has me thinking.......?

So powerbook users, who's using what here? RME vs MOTU. all opinions welcome
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I would still be careful with some of the Vaios. Don't buy them until you have the card are able to test them immediately. Unfortunately we were doing some tests with a developer friend of mine, (should remain nameless) and had 5 Sony laptop Vaios. One of them had a lot of problems with a Midiman USB soundcard, while the other 4 worked flawlessly. After weeks, of pulling my hair, and on the phone with M-Audio, we pulled apart that Vaio, only to discover that there was a different motherboard on this particular Sony, even if it was the exact same model as the others. Just be careful, and be able to test the computer before you buy it!!!

p.s. also the amount of tech support that RME provides for a PC, and the amount of research that they have done for laptop audio is incredible. Just go to their website, and there are links to tons and tons of information on how you should optimize your cpu. If you don't believe just go to the site. And to irritate my notion....stay the **** away from MOTU. Poor drivers, and the fact that your sound card will be absolete faster than you can say G5.....
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info DrDeltaM.

I took a quick look at RME's site and didn't see any info on this - so can you say where you found this info? (Just curious)

Also, any news on the release date? As in the date I'll be able to buy it . . .
Old 15th December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho

I'm looking for an audio interface for portable with the features of the multiface that uses a cardbuss as opposed to usb or firewire. I need that no-wait-state, some built in DSP so that my CPU can run as strong as possible. What are YOU recommending thes days for a MAC?

Thanks!
I don't know. I'd have to do a lot of testing before I could recommend this stuff. I'm sorry for pooing on RME, but this is from my experiences with a hammerfall 9652, hdsp9652, and their tech support. Most computer stuff is finiciky and works crappily unless the OS/application environments are spec'd incredibly anally and maintained properly. Check out MOTU, check out Lynx, all the regular stuff. I too know people with RME that works fine. I'm a "power user" though so perhaps I need more stability, reliability, and more tech supprot than most users do.
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If you are a power user, than all this daw inconvenience shouldn't really be a problem for you,,,

there is no soundcard or operating system that will work flawlessly. That's why their is a place like gearslutz. Can you elaborate with what computers and what operating system and what host application were you having problems with the RME stuff....Then I can tell you where the problem was....If you also read my post, my point was that the RME stuff are the best solution for laptops period. The PCMCIA buss, for me is the best place to have your audio card. I would rather leave USB for mouse peripherals, iloks, maybe a controller, and my Firewire ports for my hard drives, or a TC firewire Powercore.
This is the best scenario for people using laptops, hands down.
Old 15th December 2003
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by RyanR
Thanks for the info DrDeltaM.

I took a quick look at RME's site and didn't see any info on this - so can you say where you found this info? (Just curious)

Also, any news on the release date? As in the date I'll be able to buy it . . .
* It's a secret...
- Shutup!!

Nah, stumbled on it by accident on the site of Music Store KΓΆln: www.musicstore.com

No price info nor release info tho. But since it's on their site already, i'd say release isn't too far away anymore? Dare we say WNAMM?
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't know. I'd have to do a lot of testing before I could recommend this stuff. . this is from my experiences with a hammerfall 9652, hdsp9652,
which computer and what app(s) Fae?
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
interesting stuff.

I was about to take the plunge into a MOTU 828mk2 for my G4 powerbook (OSX) but this has me thinking.......?

So powerbook users, who's using what here? RME vs MOTU. all opinions welcome
You might get more answers over on unicornation.com and osxaudio.com

but I know of (5) people who succesfully use of the RME Multi and Digifaces on a G4 laptop

and have heard/read no complaints otherwise
πŸ“ Reply