The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Multiface Pro - is it true?
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
interesting stuff.

I was about to take the plunge into a MOTU 828mk2 for my G4 powerbook (OSX) but this has me thinking.......?

So powerbook users, who's using what here? RME vs MOTU. all opinions welcome
http://osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=47944#47944
Old 15th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by DrDeltaM
[BNah, stumbled on it by accident on the site of Music Store KΓΆln: www.musicstore.com

No price info nor release info tho. But since it's on their site already, i'd say release isn't too far away anymore? Dare we say WNAMM? [/B]
Thanks. I'm definitely gonna be keeping an eye open during WNAMM to see price and estimated shipping date - but if an online store is already listing it, I don't think it can't be too far away.
Old 16th December 2003
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by RyanR
Thanks. I'm definitely gonna be keeping an eye open during WNAMM to see price and estimated shipping date - but if an online store is already listing it, I don't think it can be too far away.
Ryan,

I just spoke to PK and he called RME for me. He said that they quoted no sooner than sometime in Feburary, so you know that could mean late Feb or March.

I'm getting the multiface for now and I'll get the pro in March or April. This will work fine for the interim period for my needs.

Jeff
Old 16th December 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
pricing?

has anyone got an idea what retail-price is planned for multiface-pro? will the multiface be discontinued?
Old 16th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks jho - I think I will hold out and see if more details are released at WNAMM - although I think I have most of them already.

Late Feb./early Mar. would be really nice - I could get the Fairchild for the UAD-1 and install a new soundcard all at once, that would be nice.
Old 17th December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info guys.

It seems everyone raves about the RME (well, most people) but I see very few posters here or at osxaudio that rave about the 828mk 2. I haven't got time or the inclination to be testing this **** as I'll be looking towards getting decent AD/DA in the phuture so you've swayed me away from my origianal choice and I'm going to plum for the RME.

Cheers
Old 17th December 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Multiface Pro NOT Firewire!

hey guys, as usual some specs are different from the real thing...

I just phoned with RME/Synthax Β΄bout specs and pricing of the new Multiface. They state that the Multiface Pro will be shown at Musikmesse Frankfurt and will NOT use Firewire-interface for connection(!!).
They plan to use the common PC-Cardbus or PCI-card, the Firewire-port on the back of the picture isnΒ΄t Firewire protocol.
Old 17th December 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
Thanks for the info guys.

It seems everyone raves about the RME (well, most people) but I see very few posters here or at osxaudio that rave about the 828mk 2. I haven't got time or the inclination to be testing this **** as I'll be looking towards getting decent AD/DA in the phuture so you've swayed me away from my origianal choice and I'm going to plum for the RME.

Cheers
As a PC user, I have never had a problem with any of my RME products. Most solid and reliable pieces of DAW kit I've owned (2 x hammerfalls + ADI-8DS). Basically, I'd buy anything they make in a heartbeat and never look back. They've earned my loyalty.

Recently got a TiBook for a mobile rig, and was checking out the 828mkII... I've seen more horror stories associated with the MOTU than I care to count. Do some research, and beware. User group is here: http://www.unicornation.com/...
Old 17th December 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Re: Multiface Pro NOT Firewire!

Quote:
Originally posted by Silentservice
They state that the Multiface Pro will be shown at Musikmesse Frankfurt and will NOT use Firewire-interface for connection(!!).
Actually, I prefer a PCI card over firewire - so that's good news. But Musikmesse is the beginning of April, so now the decision to go ahead and buy now or wait for the Pro is becoming harder. I'm at least gonna wait for WNAMM just in case. Maybe some feedback on the Maxio xd will be out by then too.
Old 30th December 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by GigaBoy But, it's my understanding that RME gear performs best with PCs.
My HDSP 2496 performs flawlessly under Panther (OSX). It had some latency issues is OS9 and Win2000.

If you're using OS9, I would definitely recommend moving to OSX - it was a drastic improvement!

Kato
Old 31st December 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Similar experience here. I've been cursing at RME support a bunch of times, but now that the new HDSP drivers are out my last issues ( sleep mode on powerbook, reinserting cardbus card w/o reboot ) have been worked out and I can integrate my powerbook into the studio without hassles. I'm using the HDSP Multiface / Cardbus combo. - The converters to my ears sound very good, tons better than the 828 I had here as a tryout. The only thing lacking on the mac is the very cool Digicheck software, but I have the HDSP PCI interface in my PC, so I can swap the Multiface back and forth easily. Good to be here, by the way, been lurking for a while and gearslutz seems to be a great place to come for advice and chatter.
Old 1st April 2004
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hmm, no buzz about the Multiface Pro for quite a while. Here's to hoping it will show up tomorrow at Musikmesse.
Old 1st April 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
actually RME announced what probably is the Multiface Pro in new disguise. The "Fireface". Info here: http://www.rme-audio.com/english/press/index.htm (scroll down about halfway)

Looks nice, but won't be out until summer - I'm not sure what to expect from the preamps either and I already have a Multiface afterall.
Old 1st April 2004
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks, filarion--good eye. FW800 instead of PCI is a bit disappointing, if the talk about flakey FW800 support in the current G5's is to be believed. And "late summer"?? What a tease.

At least there is the Multiface.
Old 1st April 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And if you look at the pictures on the RME site of it, there is a FW400 port on it. Otherwise, how are the PC folks going to be able to use it at all... Personally, I think it is a forward-thinking piece of gear...

As for the late summer release.... Everybody should know that things are *never* available when they are announced. It took them months to get the MADI card out.

--Ben
Old 17th June 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Multiface works great under OS X. Drivers are solid. RME DOES update drivers/software as needed. I have owned the Multiface for over 2 years, have ran it under OS 9, OS X, and Windows, and have never had any problems/issues.
Old 21st June 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
pricing will be at 1200,- euro. in holland thatb is. and streetprice.
Old 21st June 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Clan - you're talking about the multiface pro? Any word on the release date?
Old 21st June 2004
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
considering RME's quality that's a very reasonable price too. not that much of a markup from the Multiface + Cardbus combo.
Old 22nd June 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
fireface 800 is the current name (of the multiface pro), and yes I'm talking bout that one. Supposed to hit the musicstore that quoted me that in august or september. I think i'll wait. It's got the new steady clock too. Does anyone know about those pre's; are they really as good as RME claims (class A)?

C
Old 22nd June 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Fireface800/

I was hoping for a little less expensive, but I suppose thats fair for everything you are getting.

Mark
Old 22nd June 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
It would be nice if they made a version without the cheesy preamps. (at a slightly lower cost.)
Old 23rd June 2004
jho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kato
It would be nice if they made a version without the cheesy preamps. (at a slightly lower cost.)
Are they cheesy? Have you heard them? Anyone heard them? Is this shipping yet?
Old 23rd June 2004
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by jho
Are they cheesy? Have you heard them? Anyone heard them? Is this shipping yet?
I have not heard them. That comment was perhaps unfair of me. I just hate it when companies add preamps to audio interfaces. So they're all cheesy to me! (not a comment on how they sound.)
Old 23rd June 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
LOL FINALLY! Justice!!!

A piece of equipment that is cheaper in europe.

REM is german afterall, but in nearby history even european manufacterers made euroepan **** cheaper in the us, just t keep up with competitors. I LOVE RME now!
πŸ“ Reply