The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam uh7000 Audio Interfaces
Old 14th July 2014
Gear Maniac

tascam uh7000

In the market for a new interface, just wanted a different conversion sound for fun, can anyone give me their thoughts on this interface and what type of sound it presents.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Conversion seems to be pristine wiyh some high def mic pres.

Some comparing this box to a cheaper mans Lynx Hilo

Cheers
Old 17th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks man, imma purchase in a couple of weeks. Just wanted to see what people thought about it.
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear
Has the latest AD/DA chips and appears to have quality pre amps too. Main let down is the pre's can't be bypassed nor can the AD be bypassed to use pres by themselves. It would have been great too if one could record via the two mic inputs and the line inputs simultaneously.

However, I am very interested in this unit despite these things that would have made it amazing. My main concern is that I have read that some are saying the SPL Crimson and Audient sound better in terms of pre's and conversion but this is just hearsay. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 13th September 2014
Gear Maniac

I purchased the unit and dude I love it. What I noticed between this unit and my focusrite forte is it's line level is way louder than the forte, makes mixing decisions way easier, on my forte I have to turn my monitors up some but with the tascam plug everything up and it's ready to go. The size is nice to way bigger than I expected. I recorded with a blue blueberry mic going through a presonus adl 700 then throught the tascam sound was perfect. Very big sounding and quiet vocals Well worth the purchase trust me, but remember everything plays it's part.
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmie01 View Post
I purchased the unit and dude I love it. What I noticed between this unit and my focusrite forte is it's line level is way louder than the forte, makes mixing decisions way easier, on my forte I have to turn my monitors up some but with the tascam plug everything up and it's ready to go. The size is nice to way bigger than I expected. I recorded with a blue blueberry mic going through a presonus adl 700 then throught the tascam sound was perfect. Very big sounding and quiet vocals Well worth the purchase trust me, but remember everything plays it's part.
How was the latency while recording vocals, any issues? How would you compare the preamps and the converters to your Forte?
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear

I own the Crimson but still have the uh-7000 on my list.

One for a bit of analogue colour / mojo and the other for crystal clear.

The only other alternative for me on the clean side would be the John Hardy 990 twin servo.

Cant go wrong for the price on the Tascam.

Reviews have also been very positive.

Cheers

Last edited by nickknack; 14th September 2014 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear
I have clean pre's already and also some with some transformer colour, so it's really the converters and ability to insert outboard as well as record with 4 channels when necessary that interests me more about the Crimson. I do love the look of the Tascam and like the idea of those Burr Brown chips though. What converters does the SPL use? Is it possible you could do a comparison between the converters?
Old 14th September 2014
Gear Maniac

To be honest I just sold my forte to get a cad e100s, the tascam just makes it look bad. The latency on the unit is great I record at 192 and the vocals are clean clear and real. I really love to listen and mix with this unit. The converters are really good!
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear
I'm thinking the SPL Crimson will now be better for me, although the Tascam looks great and sure sounds great.
Old 17th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Dont sleep on the uh man this is a great unit i mean its really good.
Old 17th September 2014
Lives for gear

I know nothing about it. However, I'm happy to see companies like Tascam paying attention to the higher end of the entry-level market. Good stuff aint cheap and I hope Tascam is living up to the hype with this piece. I've owned some of their gear from the early '80's (four-track reel-to-reel tape recorder, mixer, eq) and a mixer from the late '80's- 2216(?) and found it to be stellar gear!

Last edited by Sacalait; 17th September 2014 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: "tape recorder"
Old 17th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Dude I feel this uh 7000 is amazing im being honest. This thing is good.
Old 17th September 2014
Lives for gear
I have no doubt this is great I just think the Crimson does a bit more (useful things) and sounds equally good, better to some but probably to others the Tascam sounds better.
Old 4th November 2014
Lives for gear
EDITE: I bought the uh7000. Initially the monitoring was frustrating and I returned it, but ended up getting another because the sound quality was much better, even than the RME I tried.

Last edited by thefyn; 20th February 2015 at 06:55 PM..
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefyn View Post
I bought the uh7000 and it's by far the most frustrating interface I've owned.

Terrible monitoring (it sounds like there is a delayed mono summing thing going on) and I can't get it to sync digitally with my dbx 368.

I tried pretty every combo of bit rate and neither would sync.

Through the analog xlr inputs it sounds fantastic. Better than my old Roland quad capture but god damn it's bloody painful to navigate for the most rudimentary of tasks.

And it's also a liability if you are used to having your headphones set around 7. You will get hearing loss if you attempt that via this device. Ridiculously loud output had me jumping in the air pushing my cans off giving it a first listen. Haha.

Anyone else get the damn digital input to work? If I have to scratch around that software control panel again....
How Does it sound for just playback?
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwyent View Post
How Does it sound for just playback?
Warm. Good warm but for me it's a tiny bit bloomy.

It is really good when it comes to revealing problem freq's in whatever you are capturing. But there is just something off with the monitoring. A tiny delay that makes your playing a bit squashy. Not sure if it's the drivers or the hardware but I'm sending mine back today.

Very frustrating device, just a few steps from being amazing.

Can anyone in this thread confirm that the AES inputs actually work? That was really frustrating too. The mixer panel from hell, haha. On first glance it looks friendly enough but it brings your workflow to grinding halts multiple times a session.

I just bought an RME Babyface. I need something tighter, good drivers with less color.

I think the UH 7000 will be good for indy, rootsy, funky, bluesy style bands trying to get a tape/analog sound because it does sound great in that respect. If I didnt have the digital input issues, and the afterthought monitoring issues I'd keep it.
Old 4th February 2015
Gear Guru

thefyn, what you were hearing with your live playback was the 'latency' from the buffer. It does seem that the UH-7000 runs at a bit high latency compared to other interfaces. Did you try lowering the buffer/latency in the control panel? I have not tried playing through mine like this yet. Your description of the tone is pretty spot on, I like the "warm" thing personally.

I agree it's a pretty bad monitor controller. I am probably going to add something small like an SM Pro Nano Patch, TC Level Pilot, or Emotiva Control Freak for a better hands-on volume control for my speakers. To me this is not bothersome, because the UH-7000 is so compact and focused on the features that it does have, and there's a lot for the size. I pretty much always want a secondary monitor control anyway.

I'm liking the UH-7000 so much I might get a second one for a 4x4 portable setup!

Last edited by monkeyxx; 6th February 2015 at 05:12 PM..
Old 6th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Well this is a bit odd. I went inside to check out the electronics and the digital/analog conversion IC is clearly an AKM AK4114VQ. No Burr-Brown devices to be found anywhere in sight.

I don't know if Tascam is trying to sweep this under the rug or what, but all of their current advertising still clearly is leaning heavy on the Burr Brown angle. I wonder if this is why the price went down?

Don't get me wrong, it sounds wonderful still, I just wanted to point out this quiet substitution vs the press.
I bought a Tascam UH700 about 4 months ago. After just seeing this post I opened mine up and I found the same thing. AKM Chips. Weird no Burr Brown in my unit either. I also agree with you that this interface still sounds amazing and sounds much better to me than my apogee duet 2. Oh and I bought a TC level pilot for mine and it works really well with this unit!
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Hi guys!

I had faulty UH-7000 and I returned it for fix and I received email today saying that these components have been replaced: "2-Channel USB-Audiointerface, 24-Bit / 192 kHz, Texas Instruments PCM4220 AD/DA Converter, Dynamic Range: 123 dB (A/D) and 128 dB (D/A)" Since Burr-Brown are made by Texas Instruments I assume that at least mine has those Burr-Browns.. I didn't look inside the device before I sent it to be fixed (fortunately though)..
Old 13th February 2015
Lives for gear

I got my device back but the problem is still there (I contacted them and they said that they actually replaced the device). Have you guys tried to turn on phantom power on channel 2? Since when I put phantom power on on channel 2 it stops the audio from computer..
Old 13th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
I got my device back but the problem is still there (I contacted them and they said that they actually replaced the device). Have you guys tried to turn on phantom power on channel 2? Since when I put phantom power on on channel 2 it stops the audio from computer..
that is also the line link button are you sure you're not going to line link mode instead of phantom power? sorry never heard of this issue. might want to make sure the firmware is up to date also.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear
That is strange re the burr brown! I ended up getting another UH7000 because it sounded better than the RME.

I'm loving it...BUT: I am kicking myself because the price dropped to $399!!!
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
Have you made sure you don't have channel 2 set to line input in the software mixer? That will disable the xlr input.
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Guru

I am still loving mine. The DAC is so good, I think it has a lot to do with the power supply being well-designed. The preamps are also great, just starting to mix down some songs done with UH-7000 and they sound wonderful.
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well this is a bit odd. I went inside to check out the electronics and the digital/analog conversion IC is clearly an AKM AK4114VQ. No Burr-Brown devices to be found anywhere in sight.

I don't know if Tascam is trying to sweep this under the rug or what, but all of their current advertising still clearly is leaning heavy on the Burr Brown angle. I wonder if this is why the price went down?

Don't get me wrong, it sounds wonderful still, I just wanted to point out this quiet substitution vs the press.
Monkey, what does your box say on the features? My box says a/d pcm4220 converter.

I am curious what converter my unit has, i don't have the right wrench on hand to open it up.

I got mine last summer and paid 599 and was at the time of the 100 dollar mail in rebate (which i failed to mail in). I got the free ath-m50x headphones from bhphoto.

I will have to open it up and see if the converter correlates with the price at all. Anything i should know about before opening?

That's strange that they still list burr brown on the website features. I have no idea if it even makes a difference. I imagine it doesn't really make a difference.
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Guru

Once you get the right allen wrench, taking it apart is a piece of cake. The sides and top come off, you can take a look inside, and it goes together very easily. You can tell these are built well.

Last edited by monkeyxx; 21st February 2015 at 01:06 AM..
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
now that's some straight up false advertisement! haha. My box also says "pcm4220" but it's not true!

Once you get the right allen wrench, taking it apart is a piece of cake. The sides and top come off, you can take a look inside, and it goes together very easily. You can tell these are built well.
You mentioned that you were thinking of getting a second one for 4x4. I wasnt aware that you could do that. Since the price of them went down to $399, I'm going to keep an eye out for a used one on the cheap to do just that.

Here is a track I'm working on with mine:

Old 20th February 2015
Gear Guru

Nice~! Guitar in stereo sounds cool. Yeah it should be easy to hook up a second one in AES using standard XLR cables and the right software settings.

I am using mine with an Audient iD22 which required a Hosa ODL-312 adapter ($80) to get them to talk to each other, but it's working out great.
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nice~! Guitar in stereo sounds cool. Yeah it should be easy to hook up a second one in AES using standard XLR cables and the right software settings.

I am using mine with an Audient iD22 which required a Hosa ODL-312 adapter ($80) to get them to talk to each other, but it's working out great.
I tried to get another 2 tracks via the AES digital input on the Tascam but it didnt work. I have a DBX 386 dual tube pre with AES out and I was really annoyed that I could not get it to work. I think the digital output on the DBX is not working. The analog outputs work OK.

At first I sent the Tascam back thinking the AES input was faulty but the second unit didnt work either.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search