The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam uh7000 Audio Interfaces
Old 7th May 2016
Gear Guru

No noise issues here.

Just an update, the Scarlet 18i8 and UH-7000 rig works out great! I haven't traveled with it yet but I'm getting good sounds here at home.

Another possible nice pairing of small interfaces with the UH-7000 might be the Steinberg UR28M, but I haven't tried that yet.
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
No noise issues here....
Hi and good to know.
Maybe the other member has been unlucky.
What worried me is this review here ... towards the end. Some strange noise popping up after switching on the unit.

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Tascam UH-7000 USB Interface (Part II: As an ADC)

I should receive mine very soon. I am crossing finger.
If there are two things i hate they are noise and distortion.
Thanks again, gino
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
Hi and good to know.
Maybe the other member has been unlucky.
What worried me is this review here ... towards the end. Some strange noise popping up after switching on the unit.

Noises are either 20k upwards or 30k upward for US model.. and at -120dBFs..
Additionally, it seems the issue has some thermal dependence.

So I think, unless other users have spent some time with FFT measurement like Archimago does, they won't report about possible issue, because it will be outside of hearing range and hidden under noisefloor of real-world captured source.
While it's apparently some engineering flaw with filtering design.. most users probably never notice that.

Michal
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Noises are either 20k upwards or 30k upward for US model.. and at -120dBFs..
Additionally, it seems the issue has some thermal dependence.
So I think, unless other users have spent some time with FFT measurement like Archimago does, they won't report about possible issue, because it will be outside of hearing range and hidden under noisefloor of real-world captured source.
While it's apparently some engineering flaw with filtering design.. most users probably never notice that.
Michal
Hi ! thanks a lot for the very valuable advice.
I am sure the issue could be fixed or at design or build level.
Maybe just a heathsink on a chip would tame it ?
I should have a infrared thermometer somewhere just out of curiosity.
I bought it to check a cheap pc motherboard.
I am quite sure you are right. It is a thermal issue that pops up after some minutes of functioning.
Stability in a professional unit should be a must. Equipment are usually on for long time.
I understand that issue affects only the ADC section ?
Thanks again, gino
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

Hmm..
I'm not familiar with the unit, but generally speaking fixing of such issue can be simple or one can easily open can of worms.
From that Archimago's article, we can see its affecting left channel ADC after several minutest of runtime.. also frequency distribution of that noise changes when different mains frequency is used at power supply input (EU vs US). So my first wild guess is, its thermal dependent and related to leaking out of band noise from switched mode power supply.
Generally said, workaround with improvement of passive heat dissipation for some components can work sometimes.. Maybe there are already some heatsinks, but don't perform as well as it should. Sometimes additional passive shielding of some parts can help. Also there can be problem with some components in particular manuf. batches or some flaw with PCBs and assembly. Also progressive thermal load can change parameters of some components and change its A-V characteristic.
The noise appears at pretty low voltages, which makes it very hard hunt. Home attempts for remedy of those became really trial and error without in-depth knowledge of the particular design.. and I would definitely try to avoid doing of that. Of course all possible mods voids warranty.

Anyway, if you're really concerned about that.. I don't have better tip, than getting the unit from some retailer with good return policy, possibly tell them straight before purchase, that you will return it, if that problem will be there.. (who knows, maybe Tascam released several hardware and PCB revisions.. and only some series are affected).
And then do few own tests at home.. proper way would be terminating of input with some load.. Run some FFT software. Once after cold start and repeat that after half hour or so.
If you find, problem is there, then you can maybe do some real captures from left channel ADC.. (again one after cold start, second after warm up) and compare those to judge if that problem is important for you.

Michal
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hmm..
I'm not familiar with the unit, but generally speaking fixing of such issue can be simple or one can easily open can of worms.
From that Archimago's article, we can see its affecting left channel ADC after several minutest of runtime.. also frequency distribution of that noise changes when different mains frequency is used at power supply input (EU vs US).
So my first wild guess is, its thermal dependent and related to leaking out of band noise from switched mode power supply.
Hi and thanks a lot for the helpful advice.
Actually reading the article better i have found that by-passing the internal smps and using instead a linear external power supply cures the issue.
I have to look inside because i see many Vouts from the power supply while the guy says just one single Vout. I have to spot the part number
Maybe there are better and compatible power supply in the market.
If it is really such a trivial issue with the ps for me is really unexplicable.
Tascam is a name in the pro sector.
I mean ... charge 50 euro more but put a decent power supply in Tascam ... do you hear me ?

Quote:
Generally said, workaround with improvement of passive heat dissipation for some components can work sometimes.. Maybe there are already some heatsinks, but don't perform as well as it should. Sometimes additional passive shielding of some parts can help. Also there can be problem with some components in particular manuf. batches or some flaw with PCBs and assembly. Also progressive thermal load can change parameters of some components and change its A-V characteristic.
The noise appears at pretty low voltages, which makes it very hard hunt.
Home attempts for remedy of those became really trial and error without in-depth knowledge of the particular design.. and I would definitely try to avoid doing of that. Of course all possible mods voids warranty.
Anyway, if you're really concerned about that.. I don't have better tip, than getting the unit from some retailer with good return policy, possibly tell them straight before purchase, that you will return it, if that problem will be there.. (who knows, maybe Tascam released several hardware and PCB revisions.. and only some series are affected).
And then do few own tests at home.. proper way would be terminating of input with some load.. Run some FFT software. Once after cold start and repeat that after half hour or so.
If you find, problem is there, then you can maybe do some real captures from left channel ADC.. (again one after cold start, second after warm up) and compare those to judge if that problem is important for you.
Michal
i have already bought it from Thomann.de. It should be here pretty soon.
Hopefully i will not be able to hear the noise.
Still i really do not understand how this could have been possible.
Much better solution would be to place a dc socket on the back panel and provide an external adapter like many others do (Audient, Steinberg, RME, etc.)
An example here

Then who wants something better can easily swap the adapter for something else.
I will try to look inside and read the part number on the ps.
Thanks a lot again, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 8th May 2016 at 01:07 PM..
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Guru

On the topic of noise, I found that the Audient iD22 had an odd and unpleasant noise floor, no matter what PSU I was using. That was part of the reason I switched to the UH-7000.
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
On the topic of noise, I found that the Audient iD22 had an odd and unpleasant noise floor, no matter what PSU I was using. That was part of the reason I switched to the UH-7000.
Hi and thanks a lot.
I was actually eyeing one 2nd hand here where i live
I read so many positive reviews that i was ready to jump on it.
There should be no noise as a principle. I do not understand.
Main problem is that lab tests are very are.
A noise measurement with inputs shorted and gain at max would show if the noise is specific of the unit or of something else.
Thanks a lot anyway, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 8th May 2016 at 05:23 PM..
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm.. interesting, I've never heard about that.. what do you mean by unpleasant noise floor.. I've tested it at friends studio and was actually very surprised by its audio performance for the money.. He still use it and tracks with it.
Also measurements were pretty good in my book in that category (eg. 500EUR integrated interface).
What kind of noise you're referring to? DAC, ADC from line, mic pre?

Quote:
Hi and thanks a lot.
I was actually eyeing one 2nd hand here where i live
I read so many positive reviews that i was ready to jump on it.
There should be no noise as a principle. I do not understand.
I think, you're bit exaggerating with facepalms
Also your presumption about no noise principle is wrong.. It's electronic circuit with real components, there is always some.

Maybe it's time to either readjust your expectations or if you really need to reach the top, then inflate your budget.
Both UH-7000 and iD22 offers very good performance for its price IMO and for what it is (compact USB audio interface).
It's always good to evaluate that for your particular application.. (I don't know, maybe it's measurement..).

Michal
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think, you're bit exaggerating with facepalms
Also your presumption about no noise principle is wrong..
It's electronic circuit with real components, there is always some.
Maybe it's time to either readjust your expectations or if you really need to reach the top, then inflate your budget.
Both UH-7000 and iD22 offers very good performance for its price IMO.
It's always good to evaluate that for your particular application.. (I don't know, maybe it's measurement..).
Michal
Hi Michal, thanks a lot for the helpful advice.
But let me elaborate a little my needs.
I have a AD/DA converter that i like, the Rosetta 200. I just need to connect it to the pc that runs win 7. I do not want to have to use Apple pc.
And actually i bought this UH-7000 specifically for this, given that has AES/EBU ins and outs.
Maybe one box solution (AD/DA plus usb interface in a single unit) would be the best ? and you say

Quote:
Both UH-7000 and iD22 offers very good performance for its price IMO
what would be a clear step up from these units ?
just to understand the price differential. I like very quiet units. Ultra low noise i mean. For a reason.

I have seen a very simple but beautiful video on audio equipment.
The speaker was comparing the noise to a carpet.
Units with a high ground noise are like carpets with long fibers ...
if you have to spot little objects on them you have difficulties.
If the carpet instead has very short fibers (low noise) you spot them immediately.
Instead distortion products were like other objects added on the carpet ... they can be distracting.
I like this demo very much.
I notice this especially watching movies ... with the best units and the best recording it seems to be there on the stage.
Sorry for the off topic.
Thanks again, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 8th May 2016 at 05:56 PM..
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Michal, thanks a lot for the helpful advice.
But let me elaborate a little my needs.
I have a AD/DA converter that i like, the Rosetta 200. I just need to connect it to the pc that runs win 7. I do not want to have to use Apple pc.
And actually i bought this UH-7000 specifically for this, given that has AES/EBU ins and outs.
Maybe one box solution (AD/DA plus usb interface in a single unit) would be the best ? and you say

what would be a clear step up from these units ?
just to understand the price differential. I like very quiet units. Ultra low noise i mean.
Thanks again, gino
I recall our discussion about interfacing of Apogee.
Excuse me for maybe grounding of the discussion.. but from my point of view.. Does UH7000 works for you? Do you like its sound with connected Apogee and do you like sound of its own AD/DA for your planned purpose? That's the most important thing.

I don't like to dive into what's the best discussion too deep, because I think it's always subjective (especially audible improvement to given increase of price) and there are multiple factors involved in particular recommendation (generally it is always driven by particular application and budget).

Anyway, if you wan't all-in-one interface, which is considered very good sounding, has options for flexible expansion and measures very good.. then check for example Hilo by Lynx.
Of course, there are also very good interfaces by other vendors like Antelope Pure2 or Prism Lyra.. but it doesn't offer as flexible connection options as Hilo (which can be fitter with Thunderbolt card for example). But if you don't need the lowest latency and you'll be fine with its USB interface.. then why not.

Then there are good standalone converters by Benchmark (ADC1, DAC1 and DAC2).. We use combo of ADC1 and DAC1 in secondary room with RME HDSP AES card.
Of course there are quite a few other alternatives to that by Lavry, Mytek, Dangerous, Prism.. for example. As soon as you go modular, you can mix and match it as you like.
Interesting thing is, top and most expensive models by some companies like Prism or Lavry has published worse measurement figures than their newer units and still are considered by many as better sounding and truer to the source.

Of course its not possible to tell you, if is that really necessary.. and how much does it improve your work and enjoyment with music listening over your Rosetta..

Michal
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I recall our discussion about interfacing of Apogee.
Excuse me for maybe grounding of the discussion.. but from my point of view.. Does UH7000 works for you? Do you like its sound with connected Apogee and do you like sound of its own AD/DA for your planned purpose? That's the most important thing.
For now i still do not know. I have not received the Tascam yet.
I will know pretty soon however.

Quote:
I don't like to dive into what's the best discussion too deep, because I think it's always subjective (especially audible improvement to given increase of price) and there are multiple factors involved in particular recommendation (generally it is always driven by particular application and budget).
Anyway, if you wan't all-in-one interface, which is considered very good sounding, has options for flexible expansion and measures very good.. then check for example Hilo by Lynx.
Wow ... that is money.

Lynx Hilo with USB - Silver | Sweetwater.com

but thanks for the advice. It is what i wanted to know. The next step up.

Quote:
Of course, there are also very good interfaces by other vendors like Antelope Pure2 or Prism Lyra.. but it doesn't offer as flexible connection options as Hilo (which can be fitter with Thunderbolt card for example).
But if you don't need the lowest latency and you'll be fine with its USB interface.. then why not.
Then there are good standalone converters by Benchmark (ADC1, DAC1 and DAC2).. We use combo of ADC1 and DAC1 in secondary room with RME HDSP AES card. Of course there are quite a few other alternatives to that by Lavry, Mytek, Dangerous, Prism.. for example. As soon as you go modular, you can mix and match it as you like.
Interesting thing is, top and most expensive models by some companies like Prism or Lavry has published worse measurement figures than their newer units and still are considered by many as better sounding and truer to the source.
Of course its not possible to tell you, if is that really necessary.. and how much does it improve your work and enjoyment with music listening over your Rosetta..
Michal
Thanks a lot Michal for the very helpful advice.
Actually i could go also with a separate AD or DA depending on the needs.
I have to try this Tascam ... it is a key component. It could be that single unit i would like to get. If the sound of one section will not be pleasant i could evaluate other units and use it as an interface only.
Thanks a lot again.
Kind regards, gino
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hmm.. interesting, I've never heard about that.. what do you mean by unpleasant noise floor.. I've tested it at friends studio and was actually very surprised by its audio performance for the money.. He still use it and tracks with it.
Also measurements were pretty good in my book in that category (eg. 500EUR integrated interface).
What kind of noise you're referring to? DAC, ADC from line, mic pre?
Noise on the monitor outputs, DAC.

The noise was not a gentle hiss or hum, it was a more erratic hashy sounding sputtering kind of noise that stands out once you hear it. It doesn't blend into the monitor amp's noise floor.

Sometimes I do this thing where I connect a source to my monitors, mute all inputs, and then crank the volume up all the way. This way you can get a close listen to the character of the noise floor.

When I did this with the iD22, it was just ugly sounding.

It might not be a factor in normal, reasonable use at sensible SPL, but I couldn't un-hear it. It didn't make me feel very good about the iD22.
Old 8th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Noise on the monitor outputs, DAC.

The noise was not a gentle hiss or hum, it was a more erratic hashy sounding sputtering kind of noise that stands out once you hear it. It doesn't blend into the monitor amp's noise floor.

Sometimes I do this thing where I connect a source to my monitors, mute all inputs, and then crank the volume up all the way. This way you can get a close listen to the character of the noise floor.

When I did this with the iD22, it was just ugly sounding.

It might not be a factor in normal, reasonable use at sensible SPL, but I couldn't un-hear it. It didn't make me feel very good about the iD22.
Thanks for the description, Monkeyxx.

I see and was just curious about it.. maybe it was just a lemon. Or we (with my friend) haven't encountered such behavior during our testing. During that test I was also quite curious how they implemented digital volume control at iD22, so I've tried also quite low volumes with it.. I've reached uniform sounding analog noisefloor before any noticeable nastiness (eg. some sputtering pattern) appeared.
According to your description, it would guess it's related to either to some activity of microcontroller or some spill related to computer activity, which passed to the unit via USB bus.. sometimes there can be formed ground loops, which doesn't produce typical mains hum, but rather weird noises, whose frequency is related to switching activity of some device in computer.
I had few occasions, where for example some pairs of notebook with particular interface wasn't really usable, because of that kind of issue.. When it was connected to different compter.. it disappeared.
So first test I would usually do, is to listen to interface with headphones completely disconnected from computer and monitors.

Of course in ideal case, there is some form of galvanic isolation between usb audio and microcontoller part and rest of the audio interface (converters, clocks, analog frontend). However it's not easy to implement without any side effects.. for instance Ayre HiFi converters employs I2S isloators at this place.

Generally this part of design (noise management.. resilience to EMI interferences, clean power supply to different modules) really separates best souding devices from the rest IMO and IME.
Although recently there are devices, which extensively use local low noise regulators, those become readily available and those devices reaches really miraculous parameters and sound to me (last week I've had Apogee Groove, which is outstanding for bus powered device IMO), if you then open up some dedicated hi-end converters, which offers generous PCB real estate and case space and have for instance several dedicated power supplies or rails for different sections, it can still bring something to the table if someone want to reach the top IMO.

Anyway as I've wrote before, I'm still very positively surprised by level of audio performance and sound, which was brought by relatively affordable "semi-pro" interfaces like iD22, UH7000 or Crimson for example.

Michal
Old 8th May 2016
Gear Guru

I have really been impressed with these semi-pro interfaces lately, too. There is just so much performance in this price range compared to even 5 years ago. There are getting fewer and fewer excuses for bad sound.

I do have a galvanic isolator for USB that I use with my Emotiva DC-1, unfortunately I did not think to test it out with the iD22. I wouldn't want to mention the noise issue if it was in fact coming from my system interactions rather than the iD22 itself.

But like you said, best from the rest, the best interfaces I have used have not had any sorts of noise problems like these.
Old 9th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
... So first test I would usually do, is to listen to interface with headphones completely disconnected from computer and monitors.... Michal
Hi ! this is exactly what i do when i get some noise.
And practically always the source of noise is the source. Let's say always.
From the interface down zero perceptible noise ... zero.
This tells clearly that the noise is coming from the pc and, therefore, that the connection with the pc is highly critical.
In an ideal case only the signal should get to the usb interface but not the noise.
I think that this is possible. But i do not know which is the best way to achieve this.
The use of a simple usb isolation device helps a lot for noise but i have the feeling that increases jitter.
And the sound is not ok.
But i found something interesting.
I am playing with usb over ethernet extenders.
They are very handy to try to isolate source and interface.
And i have opened a pair and in the receiver i see a cristal ... this means to me that the usb signal is indeed reclocked at the receiver level, providing the interface with a signal of better quality and free of noise.
I am testing one cheap and too low speed (Usb 1.1) and i get clicks in the sound.
But between the clicks... i like the sound better.
There is more detail and less noise.
The sounds pop up more clearly from the background noise.
I am about to receive a higher speed version.
I am optimistic.
All considered usb is a mess. I would try Ethernet like i understand Focusrite is doing with RedNet system.

https://us.focusrite.com/ethernet-au...dnet-pcie-card

https://us.focusrite.com/rednet/the-sound-of-rednet

this seems indeed something new. That promises to cope with the usb standard weakness.
Time will tell if this is the right way.

Regards, gino

Last edited by ginetto61; 9th May 2016 at 07:03 AM..
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

My Tascam uh-7000 broke just now.. Some kind of driver/firmware related issue I think.. Computer just doesnt find it anymore.. cant reinstall firmware or anything.. buggers..

I suppose I don't have to mention that i'm a bit angry atm. I like the unit but the firmware/drivers have always been really flimsy..

Quote:
Hi ! this is exactly what i do when i get some noise.
And practically always the source of noise is the source. Let's say always.
From the interface down zero perceptible noise ... zero.
This tells clearly that the noise is coming from the pc and, therefore, that the connection with the pc is highly critical.
In an ideal case only the signal should get to the usb interface but not the noise.
I think that this is possible. But i do not know which is the best way to achieve this.
The use of a simple usb isolation device helps a lot for noise but i have the feeling that increases jitter.
And the sound is not ok.
But i found something interesting.
I am playing with usb over ethernet extenders.
They are very handy to try to isolate source and interface.
And i have opened a pair and in the receiver i see a cristal ... this means to me that the usb signal is indeed reclocked at the receiver level, providing the interface with a signal of better quality and free of noise.
I am testing one cheap and too low speed (Usb 1.1) and i get clicks in the sound.
But between the clicks... i like the sound better.
There is more detail and less noise.
The sounds pop up more clearly from the background noise.
I am about to receive a higher speed version.
I am optimistic.
Regards, gino
Connection between interface and computer is digital.. like zeros and ones. If pc/interface bleeds current to signal path there is something wrong with the unit.

99% cases when people complain about USB noise/hum (which i find funny anyway) its due to unbalanced cables or something else.
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
My Tascam uh-7000 broke just now..
Some kind of driver/firmware related issue I think..
Computer just doesnt find it anymore.. cant reinstall firmware or anything.. buggers..
I suppose I don't have to mention that i'm a bit angry atm.
I like the unit but the firmware/drivers have always been really flimsy..
Hi sorry and worry to hear that ...
I should receive mine very soon. Actually i have to check the order.
I wonder if they have a support service. I think they should.
You can try contact them.

Quote:
Connection between interface and computer is digital.. like zeros and ones. If pc/interface bleeds current to signal path there is something wrong with the unit. 99% cases when people complain about USB noise/hum (which i find funny anyway) its due to unbalanced cables or something else
i do not understand. You mean that balanced cables can suppress the noise/hum ? this is what made me switch to balanced connections. Also ground loops that i have always in my crowded system.
Still usb connection is critical. There is a growing market for usb isolators/reclockers that is going very very well.
From what i read the coming of Ethernet solutions will be a godsend.
Like Dante systems employed by Focusrite among others.
Thanks again, gino
Old 10th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi sorry and worry to hear that ...
I should receive mine very soon. Actually i have to check the order.
I wonder if they have a support service. I think they should.
You can try contact them.

i do not understand. You mean that balanced cables can suppress the noise/hum ? this is what made me switch to balanced connections. Also ground loops that i have always in my crowded system.
Still usb connection is critical. There is a growing market for usb isolators/reclockers that is going very very well.
From what i read the coming of Ethernet solutions will be a godsend.
Like Dante systems employed by Focusrite among others.
Thanks again, gino
I'm not a fan of thunderbolt / ethernet or whatever.. To me its pretty much snakeoil.

Besides all this AD/DA talk seems pretty non-trivial to me. If you listen to any mix-competitions you can clearly hear that one can do really good sounding stuff from same wav files where some people manage to make the same files to sound total garbage.. I think Pensado's Place has some mix competition running atm.. just take a listen of that stuff.
Old 10th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm not a fan of thunderbolt / ethernet or whatever.. To me its pretty much snakeoil.
Hi ! i think that ethernet is for real indeed.
The Focusrite interface allows for minimal latency with a huge number of channels. It is the future from what i understand.
I am just waiting for an ethernet to AES/EBU interface.
That does not cost an arm and a leg ...

Quote:
Besides all this AD/DA talk seems pretty non-trivial to me.
if it were trivial everybody would get satisfaction very easily. Not the case.
What drives me is unsatisfaction about what i am listening.
And i know that it cannot be this ****. That it must be better.

Quote:
If you listen to any mix-competitions you can clearly hear that one can do really good sounding stuff from same wav files where some people manage to make the same files to sound total garbage.. I think Pensado's Place has some mix competition running atm.. just take a listen of that stuff
Thanks for the valuable info. I will look at Pensado's Place.
Kind regards, gino
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Addict

Hi Guys !
finally arrived !!!

So i have installed the latest win 7 drivers on the pc.
Then i see a latest FW. Should i update ?
how can i check the FW version already installed ?
better read the manual ?
Any other advice ?
Can i leave it on for hours ?
Thanks and regards, gino
Attached Thumbnails
tascam uh7000-tascam-uh-7000.jpg  
Old 11th May 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Gino!

Congratulations on your new interface

My advice would be that you need to pan your computer channels to get a stereo sound (computer channel 1 to 100% left, computer channel 2 to 100% right). You can do this in the mixer software.

I had some problems at first with the lack of monitor volume controller, but you (at least i did) get to used to it pretty soon. I personally use the link-line setting to use the phones level to adjust volume.

There's Auto Power Saver setting on the mixer software.

Remember to use balanced monitor cables.

I dont think I read the manual, but you might want to do better job..

Btw, I got my unit to work.. I just plugged it into my MacBook and it started to work again.. No idea what's going on with it. Might be Windows related problem as well.
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

I like to use -24 dB line level XLR pads on the outputs to get a better range on the (line link) volume control. I don't need those 120+ dB levels anyway in this room, so it's a better trade off for me to have finer tuning at more normal nearfield levels. It can still get pretty dang loud, with my Emotiva XPA-200 amplifier.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi Gino!
Congratulations on your new interface
My advice would be that you need to pan your computer channels to get a stereo sound (computer channel 1 to 100% left, computer channel 2 to 100% right). You can do this in the mixer software.
Hi ! thank you very much !
i am a beginner and i have to learn. I will start this next weekend reading the manual of the unit and of the SW.
Unfortunately i understand there is no way to bypass the internal preamps ?
this is not what i wanted actually. I like interfaces with just AD/DA.
Next time.
However i could always mate it with a AD or DA thorugh AES/EBU

Quote:
I had some problems at first with the lack of monitor volume controller,
Exactly ! i like so much those big knobs but they are only for the preamps.
What a shame ... they are gorgeous ... in comparison the headphone pot is so poor that i am going to replace it with something serious. At least a 20 mm diameter thing.

Quote:
but you (at least i did) get to used to it pretty soon.
I personally use the link-line setting to use the phones level to adjust volume.
i have to read the manual. I do not know the unit. I am new to these things.

Quote:
There's Auto Power Saver setting on the mixer software.
Remember to use balanced monitor cables.
I dont think I read the manual, but you might want to do better job..
Btw, I got my unit to work.. I just plugged it into my MacBook and it started to work again.. No idea what's going on with it. Might be Windows related problem as well
thank you very much for your very helpful advice. For now i have just use it with usb cable and headphones and i do not hear any particular noise also after 3 hours of functioning.
In the weekend i will have more time to experiment.
I do not understand why interface with basic AD/DA are so rare.
The very nice thing is that this unit provides balanced digital in/out that i love.
I do not know why but the 1st time i used this connection the sound was more musical, relaxed and with all the detail.
More analog but without the scratches and clicks and pops.
Perfect.
Since that experience i am quite sold on AES/EBU for digital links.
Thanks a lot again, gino
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
I like to use -24 dB line level XLR pads on the outputs to get a better range on the (line link) volume control.
I don't need those 120+ dB levels anyway in this room, so it's a better trade off for me to have finer tuning at more normal nearfield levels.
It can still get pretty dang loud, with my Emotiva XPA-200 amplifier
Hi ! i have a question.
Do you mean that you are using the Tascam as line preamp for your Emotiva amp ? How do you regulate the volume ? from the mixer screen ?
They should have copy other interfaces like the Audient with that nice big knob.
Thanks a lot, gino
Old 12th May 2016
JAT
Lives for gear
Michal, I am reporting what the DAW says - I get 10-11 ms w/ the UH-7000. The lower latency (5 ms) was reported for the Firewire TC 48 after the last driver update.

Something else - I bought a 2nd UH-7000 and tried to wire it into the first's digital in/out. However, the UH-7000s will only connect when one is set to "internal" while the other has to be set to "automatic." Internal kills the digital input, so you can't really use two units together. A shame.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi ! i have a question.
Do you mean that you are using the Tascam as line preamp for your Emotiva amp ? How do you regulate the volume ? from the mixer screen ?
They should have copy other interfaces like the Audient with that nice big knob.
Thanks a lot, gino
Yes, the "Line Link" mode will turn the headphone amp into a monitor control level for the XLR monitor outputs. It is an analog volume control and sounds very transparent.

I would recommend not to try to remove the knobs, I think they are glued on or something. I was really pulling them trying to get them off and then I was afraid I was going to rip the potentiometers into pieces or cause some damage, so I gave up and settled on using the small knob.

It has a pretty light resistance so it's actually not too hard to use with a light normal grip. I've gotten used to it and it suits me just fine.

I also agree that the UH-7000 is one of the least "digital" sounding DACs I have ever heard. It doesn't seem to suffer from any of the usual "electronic" sound qualities that most DACs exhibit, like pointy highs, hard mids, or etc. It's very transparent and "analog" sounding to my ears. It competes very favorably to my high end turntable as a main listening source.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, the "Line Link" mode will turn the headphone amp into a monitor control level for the XLR monitor outputs.
It is an analog volume control and sounds very transparent.
Hi ! thanks a lot indeed for the very welcome and valuable advice.
Good. I could get rid of one other piece then, the preamp.

Quote:
I would recommend not to try to remove the knobs, I think they are glued on or something. I was really pulling them trying to get them off and then I was afraid I was going to rip the potentiometers into pieces or cause some damage, so I gave up and settled on using the small knob.
It has a pretty light resistance so it's actually not too hard to use with a light normal grip. I've gotten used to it and it suits me just fine.
Thanks again to prevent me to make an horrible damage.
Honestly the two big ones are gorgeous and the small knob for HPs is ... ok i will live with that. Better not to mess with the control. Message received.

Quote:
I also agree that the UH-7000 is one of the least "digital" sounding DACs I have ever heard. It doesn't seem to suffer from any of the usual "electronic" sound qualities that most DACs exhibit, like pointy highs, hard mids, or etc. It's very transparent and "analog" sounding to my ears.
It competes very favorably to my high end turntable as a main listening source.
Thanks again. I am sure this thing is going to stay long in my system.
I have a very not scientific way to judge the sound from digital unit.
Usually the very good digital sounds relaxed but powerful and with detail.
Another important aspect usually suffering with digital is the soundstage rendition. I have some tracks from test disks that i use to evaluate this.
A playback system able to give back a good depth for instance it is a very good system indeed.
I read an article about the digitalization of good analog master tapes.
Usually after a AD/DA passage the best converters gave back a good image but smaller in size ... proportionally smaller let's say.
The bad converters a very flat and compressed one.
I would like to be able to do this kind of test. The more the original signal is not altered the more the converters are high quality.
Thanks a lot again for the very helpful directions.
Kind regards, gino
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Guru

That's a good point about the size and stage of the sound. I just sold a budget interface that did just that kind of 'shrinking' to the sound. I can't mentally deal with that kind of sound any more, it's stressful when you're after great audio. A lot of cheap conversion does suffer from this. The best stuff, like you say, keeps things mostly as the come in without too much reduction. In the case of the UH-7000, which you can find easily for $300, it's almost like a free lunch. It's astounding, really.
Old 12th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's a good point about the size and stage of the sound. I just sold a budget interface that did just that kind of 'shrinking' to the sound. I can't mentally deal with that kind of sound any more, it's stressful when you're after great audio. A lot of cheap conversion does suffer from this. The best stuff, like you say, keeps things mostly as the come in without too much reduction. In the case of the UH-7000, which you can find easily for $300, it's almost like a free lunch. It's astounding, really.
Hi again ! thanks a lot for your valuable confirmation.
I am always trying to collect and organizing advice and information from kind experts and professionals.
I have problems with neighbours these days and i am forced to listen to headphones so any soundstage test is out of question.
If you think that i love soundstage ...

However .... i am in contact with a guy who has carried out a very interesting test on this interface and he actually found some noise issues.
To cut the long story short

Quote:
... recording a few seconds of silence to a WAV file using Audacity, then using Octave (a free Matlab clone) to calculate the FFT and plot the graphs ...
he has found indeed some noise.
The interesting thing is that extracting the power supply from the box and redoing the test the noise vanishes.
It seems an issue with bad shielding of the power supply.
If i were skilled i would replace the smps with something very low noise and linear like things available on ebay.
Noise is a very bad beast. It masks the low levels signals that are important, with low level linearity, to create a well developed soundstage.
The people who says that measurements tell nothing usually are not able to carry out decent measurements.
Thanks a lot again, gino

U P D A T E

Hi Guys !
unfortunately my unit has the noise.
I am attaching a graph obtained with Arta software, mic levels at zero and open inputs
What a pity ... because the noise floor is basically very low indeed, peaks aside. Just those two nasty peaks ruin the overall effect ... i am studying the issue.
I elaborate a little.
I have bought also an Audient id22 that has an input for a 12VDC adapter on the rear panel.
The idea is to use the id22 as a tool to select a very low noise power supply, assuming that this can be seen with measurements. I am very curious about this: to see how much of an impact the quality of the power supply has on the performance (noise) of an audio interface. Maybe not much if the interface has a very good regulation internally.
At that point i will use the same power supply (smps or linear) to power the Tascam in order to trim the peaks.
I cannot stand those peaks at all.
Attached Thumbnails
tascam uh7000-tascam-uh7000_resized.jpg  

Last edited by ginetto61; 25th May 2016 at 06:27 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search