The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam uh7000 Audio Interfaces
Old 13th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Because if you purchase PCIe card into your current computer with, there is really one option IMO.. that's RME HDSPe AIO card. Its last driver is from end of August and it is reported to be successfully running also in El Capitan.....

....But total price of the Tascam UH7000, RME HDSPe card and possibly chassis will be very close to some hybrid solutions by MOTU, like their 1248.

Michal
Thanks again Michal,

RME HDSPe AIO was exactly the card I was thinking about....but I don't have that UH-7000 anymore but I still have Duet FW. To be able to use that RME card, do I need anything else than pre-amp (I only have one, GAP Pre73 mk2) and breakout cable?
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Same here

I like TASCAM but there are reports all over the net about abysmal latency with these devices so since I am mostly ITB I moved on.
I was worried at first with mine. I had issues with my Midi driver, but since fixed. Biggest project I've used mine on is about 48 tracks or so...and latency is about what I'd expect for that track count. It's low enough that I can trigger SSD4 with my v-drums and play along OK. It's not perfect, but I can manage...and I'm a pretty crappy drummer.

Was a huge step up from my TC Impact Twin.
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
RME HDSPe AIO was exactly the card I was thinking about....but I don't have that UH-7000 anymore but I still have Duet FW. To be able to use that RME card, do I need anything else than pre-amp (I only have one, GAP Pre73 mk2) and breakout cable?
Unfortunately there isn't any sensible way, how to use Duet FW toghether with RME AIO.
AIO card has two balanced line inputs, two balanced line outputs and headphone out with optional XLR breakout cable.
So I can imagine, it can be completely usable just with Pre73, if you'll be fine with that flavor of preamp.

Only practical thing, which came to my mind, is headphone and line out volume control. Analog out has three basic sensitivity levels, you can assign that output to monitor section in TotalMix and further fine control output volume digitally, use dim and mono functionality from there. Same applies also to headphones out.
But if you want some physical volume control knob, you'll need some kind of monitor controller with headphone amp (of course only, if you already don't have one).

Michal
Old 13th November 2015
Quote:
Unfortunately there isn't any sensible way, how to use Duet FW toghether with RME AIO.
AIO card has two balanced line inputs, two balanced line outputs and headphone out with optional XLR breakout cable.
So I can imagine, it can be completely usable just with Pre73, if you'll be fine with that flavor of preamp.

Only practical thing, which came to my mind, is headphone and line out volume control. Analog out has three basic sensitivity levels, you can assign that output to monitor section in TotalMix and further fine control output volume digitally, use dim and mono functionality from there. Same applies also to headphones out.
But if you want some physical volume control knob, you'll need some kind of monitor controller with headphone amp (of course only, if you already don't have one).

Michal
Thanks Michal. Sorry, I think I was unclear - I didn't mean to use Duet with RME....but what I would like to know is that...at the moment I'm using GAP pre + Duet AD/DA combo. If I "upgrade" to GAP pre + RME AD/DA combo, do I hear any difference in audio quality (other than better RTL)?
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
but what I would like to know is that...at the moment I'm using GAP pre + Duet AD/DA combo. If I "upgrade" to GAP pre + RME AD/DA combo, do I hear any difference in audio quality (other than better RTL)?
Sorry, I can't really answer that, because I've never done some shootout or comparison between original Duet and AIO.. Also there aren't any published measurements for Duet by Apogee.. I always felt, Duet sounded really good, when I had chance to listen to it at friends's laptop rig.
But frankly, I also recorded several times with AIO's built-in input and external pre and know guy, who using it that card and expansion modules as a base for his PC based Cubase rig without any mention about sound quality issues. To me quality of card conversion is really decent and I didn't have any problem with it.
So I believe, it can be fine also at your setup.
Maybe if you create new topic with that particular question regarding HDSPe AIO's sound, some other users can contribute their experience.. (and we won't steer this thread by OT).

I'm aware, it isn't super helpful response, but there is always later chance to use external DAC, because of several available digital I/O ports at RME card.
For example I'm long time user of DAC-1 by Benchmark for both studio and personal rig.. And after all years of use, I believe, it was one of best investment, I've made.. Together with RME HDSPe AES card, it makes killer combo (latency,stability,drivers+audio performance) and I really haven't thought about any change for long time.. although there were many other interfaces introduced over last years and I've touched many of them during installations and setups for others.

Michal
Old 19th November 2015
Lives for gear

UH-7000's mixer screen size-

I'm considering getting a UH-7000 as an upgrade to my current AD/DA. So to get a feel for the driver/mixer software I downloaded it from Tascam's website, however the mixer interface is way oversized to fit my monitor screen & I can't figure out how to resize it. Anyone else witness this happening to them, and if so, what was/is your workaround? Perhaps it's a safety feature so it won't size proper without a found interface connected to the USB port, thus being useless as a standalone software??

Also, where are the unity settings on the preamp's knobs - full counter-clockwize (22) or somewhere else along the knob's travel? I'm understanding it that the preamps can't be fully turned down to zero output, correct?
Old 20th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analok View Post
I'm considering getting a UH-7000 as an upgrade to my current AD/DA. So to get a feel for the driver/mixer software I downloaded it from Tascam's website, however the mixer interface is way oversized to fit my monitor screen & I can't figure out how to resize it. Anyone else witness this happening to them, and if so, what was/is your workaround? Perhaps it's a safety feature so it won't size proper without a found interface connected to the USB port, thus being useless as a standalone software??
I've never tried installing a DSP mixer for hardware that wasn't already attached, so it's hard to help on that one. If I open the "Mixer Panel" with the UH7K simply turned off, the controls are all just greyed out.

And I don't run a separate preamp into the inputs, so I can't help with ur 2nd question, sorry.
Old 22nd November 2015
Lives for gear

No harm/No foul. Thanks just the same. Seeing as this unit is giving me a bad case of GAS, I'm gonna see if I can try one out at the local GC & either pass or take home...if price-worthy of course

Seeing as you too have a GAP Pre 73, it was this preamp I was looking to 'insert' to the UH-7000, thus my unity query above. It'd be like having a char-grilled london broil with a vinegrette salad on one plate Let's see where it takes me. Thanks again!

Last edited by Analok; 22nd November 2015 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Added content
Old 22nd November 2015
Gear Addict
Anyone have any information on how this SOUNDS compared to the RME Babyface Pro? I understand the latency and drivers in RME being great.... I just want to know how this sounds compared to the RME. Keep in mind, I'd like to use the built in preamps that come with either of these.

Steve
Old 6th December 2015
Quote:
Unfortunately, you're Mac user, so you can't workaround it by other PCI card with better performance and 2ch digital I/O. Even used ESI [email protected] XTe is fine for doing that.

Michal
Hi Michal, why is that on Mac?
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Michal, why is that on Mac?
Hi iMac,

generally it is, because at Apple ecosystem, both hardware and software products became obsolete much sooner, than at PC world.
Apple unfortunately completely dropped "classic" workstation systems with internal PCIe expansion cards and also shortened period between OS releases without any official guaranteed support periods after release of new version of OS.
So instead of further improvement and bug-fixing of existing systems, they will release new OS every September and all associated vendors have to catch up. Although Windows software looks similar to that, there is quite difference with official software support periods for legacy software, not just in terms of security patches, but also with quite stable infrastructure for development, so you can easily target your software and drivers to wide range of operating systems, unless you have to use latest features. Whereas at MacOS, you have to really try quite hard with their Xcode to retain compatibility with 10.6 for example.
Similarly older drivers for previous versions in most cases "just works" on newer releases, although there isn't official driver support by its vendors.

That all combined means for example, in most cases you can purchase older used PCI/PCIe card with very good performance and efficiency (like RME HDSP 9632/52 for PCI bus or mentioned ESI [email protected]) for merely 200-250USD and still have perfect working digital I/O for external converters.
Also if you are at Windows 7 from 2009, there is usually no pressure for its upgrade due to incompatible applications.

I'm not telling that as PC fanboy or so, at my main work (system integration of content creation and broadcast systems) I work with all common platforms and I'm equally familiar with all of them.
But frankly, Apple's shift towards consumer systems with all related consequences makes it much harder to maintain and integrate for me. Although their steps maybe makes sense for intended client base and they push hard everything towards unified development to iOS and OS X, it is very different company, then it was for the last decade, when they stepped very strongly into professional circles (real servers, workstations, server software, SAN, professional apps without compromises toward amateur user base, better care for corporate clients..) and tried hard to succeed there, and their only issue then was unpredictability.

Michal
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Thanks for the info! How is the latency at 44.1 khz 256 samples?
Anybody?

Old 7th December 2015
Quote:
Hi iMac,

generally it is, because at Apple ecosystem, both hardware and software products became obsolete much sooner, than at PC world.
Apple unfortunately completely dropped "classic" workstation systems with internal PCIe expansion cards and also shortened period between OS releases without any official guaranteed support periods after release of new version of OS.
So instead of further improvement and bug-fixing of existing systems, they will release new OS every September and all associated vendors have to catch up. Although Windows software looks similar to that, there is quite difference with official software support periods for legacy software, not just in terms of security patches, but also with quite stable infrastructure for development, so you can easily target your software and drivers to wide range of operating systems, unless you have to use latest features. Whereas at MacOS, you have to really try quite hard with their Xcode to retain compatibility with 10.6 for example.
Similarly older drivers for previous versions in most cases "just works" on newer releases, although there isn't official driver support by its vendors.

That all combined means for example, in most cases you can purchase older used PCI/PCIe card with very good performance and efficiency (like RME HDSP 9632/52 for PCI bus or mentioned ESI [email protected]) for merely 200-250USD and still have perfect working digital I/O for external converters.
Also if you are at Windows 7 from 2009, there is usually no pressure for its upgrade due to incompatible applications.

I'm not telling that as PC fanboy or so, at my main work (system integration of content creation and broadcast systems) I work with all common platforms and I'm equally familiar with all of them.
But frankly, Apple's shift towards consumer systems with all related consequences makes it much harder to maintain and integrate for me. Although their steps maybe makes sense for intended client base and they push hard everything towards unified development to iOS and OS X, it is very different company, then it was for the last decade, when they stepped very strongly into professional circles (real servers, workstations, server software, SAN, professional apps without compromises toward amateur user base, better care for corporate clients..) and tried hard to succeed there, and their only issue then was unpredictability.

Michal
Thanks again Michal,

I still have one of those old desktops, cMac Pro 5.1 12-core so I assume any PCie card should work fine or am I missing something?
Old 7th December 2015
JAT
Lives for gear
The latest drivers for the UH-7000 dropped my latency for 11 ms to 9. That is as low as it goes for me.
Old 12th December 2015
Gear Head

has anyone clocked a UH-7000 off an RME card over SPDIF or AES/EBU ?
did the sound quality noticeably degrade ?
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Thinking about running an active DI box into this, and looking at some with +48v. Do I run the output of the DI into one of the mic inputs and turn on +48v? How else do I get phantom power to the DI box?

I'm new to setting up my own DI system...always had interfaces with a DI included. The manual says to put the DI between the guitar/bass and the LINE-IN...which of course supplies no +48.

THANKS!!
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Thinking about running an active DI box into this, and looking at some with +48v. Do I run the output of the DI into one of the mic inputs and turn on +48v? How else do I get phantom power to the DI box?

I'm new to setting up my own DI system...always had interfaces with a DI included. The manual says to put the DI between the guitar/bass and the LINE-IN...which of course supplies no +48.

THANKS!!
Output of the DI (XLR) goes to the XLR in, phantom power engaged. I have an active DI and it works great.
Old 23rd December 2015
JAT
Lives for gear
PIcked up a second 7000 so I can run it 4 x 4. No more splitting the analog signal to run (and hear! and then record back) a two-buss. I paid less than $350 from GC w/ the 20% Christmas coupon.
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
I was worried at first with mine. I had issues with my Midi driver, but since fixed. Biggest project I've used mine on is about 48 tracks or so...and latency is about what I'd expect for that track count. It's low enough that I can trigger SSD4 with my v-drums and play along OK. It's not perfect, but I can manage...and I'm a pretty crappy drummer.

Was a huge step up from my TC Impact Twin.
Thought I'd update...

Latency is good, but weird.

The latency is fine, but if I try and set the latency higher or lower than the "normal latency" setting, the unit gets buggy.

If I have a high track count I find it best to freeze tracks if I need to record live instruments, and the latency self adjusts at the normal setting...weird.
Old 26th December 2015
Lives for gear

Any opinions on DI boxes to run passive electic guitar & bass into the UH-7000? About to pull the trigger on the Radial J48, but scouring for last minute input/thoughts. Will be using itb virtual amp sims...not reamping. THANKS!!

*Edit: The manual says to add a "pedal" to go from guitar/bass into the line-in. Whats up with this? Should I ignore, and go DI box into the mic-pre's....or can a pedal really work?

Last edited by JLiRD808; 26th December 2015 at 09:11 PM..
Old 8th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
PIcked up a second 7000 so I can run it 4 x 4. No more splitting the analog signal to run (and hear! and then record back) a two-buss. I paid less than $350 from GC w/ the 20% Christmas coupon.
I was going to post if anyone had run two UH-7000s - but here you have already done it. I have one and was thinking about adding a 2nd Uh-7000 to:

a) Track 4 Channels at once
b) Setup and analog loop for 2-bus or mix-bus. Using one unit's ins and outs for the analog device and the other Uh-7000's DAC to monitor the process.

I'm on Windows - I am not sure how one would access the 2nd unit's software / mixer panel as this requires a USB connection - which would not be in place as it would be slaved to the other unit via AES?

Can you plug the 2nd unit's USB in - access the software and set the settings - save the setting to the unit and then disconnect its USB?

Thanks
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Can you plug the 2nd unit's USB in - access the software and set the settings - save the setting to the unit and then disconnect its USB?

Thanks
Yes, you can do that.
Old 8th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Yes, you can do that.
Thanks monkeyxx
Old 9th January 2016
JAT
Lives for gear
Or use a second computer to set the mixer.
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Any opinions on DI boxes to run passive electic guitar & bass into the UH-7000? About to pull the trigger on the Radial J48, but scouring for last minute input/thoughts. Will be using itb virtual amp sims...not reamping. THANKS!!

*Edit: The manual says to add a "pedal" to go from guitar/bass into the line-in. Whats up with this? Should I ignore, and go DI box into the mic-pre's....or can a pedal really work?
My guess is the pedal, whichever one, will act as a buffer. Hi Z in suitable for guitar/bass and low Z out. Guitars want to see a high Z.
Old 13th February 2016
Gear Addict

Hey guys, glad to find this thread!

I have questions about interfacing between my Delta 1010 sound card and UH-7000 which I have posted in this thread:

Need help making XLR to RCA SPDIF cable for Tascam UH-7000

Would someone care to read this thread and answer my questions please?

Thanks!
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

FWIW, didn't see this posted here but Tascam finally released a Mac driver that's compatible with El Capitan: v1.30rc4

Product: UH-7000 | TASCAM

Old 13th February 2016
Gear Guru

Use 75 ohm Coaxial cable with this wiring diagram:

A really easy way to do it is buy a cheap SPDIF RCA cable from Monoprice or ebay, clip off one end, and strip the wires to solder your own XLR end.

Why this isn't detailed in the Tascam manual is beyond me. Seems pretty important. SPDIF over XLR is not exactly a standard thing people know about.
Old 14th February 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Use 75 ohm Coaxial cable with this wiring diagram:

A really easy way to do it is buy a cheap SPDIF RCA cable from Monoprice or ebay, clip off one end, and strip the wires to solder your own XLR end.

Why this isn't detailed in the Tascam manual is beyond me. Seems pretty important. SPDIF over XLR is not exactly a standard thing people know about.
Thanks so much Monkeyxx!

So this is the cable construction for XLR SPDIF output from UH-7000 to RCA SPDIF input of Delta 1010, correct?

How about the other way -- RCA SPDIF output from Delta 1010 to XLR SPDIF input of UH-7000? How would you construct the cable for this?
Old 14th February 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Thanks so much Monkeyxx!

So this is the cable construction for XLR SPDIF output from UH-7000 to RCA SPDIF input of Delta 1010, correct?

How about the other way -- RCA SPDIF output from Delta 1010 to XLR SPDIF input of UH-7000? How would you construct the cable for this?
The only difference would be Male vs Female on the XLR connector, depends on if you're going in our out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search