The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam uh7000 Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
...It took almost blowing up my monitors for me finally throw in the towel.
Lol was that cuz of the odd linked headphone/monitor knob?! I hated it at first too, and ended up having to buy a remote controlled power switch for the monitors to keep from losing my mind. Ended up being a great workaround for me though lol.

Enjoy the iD22...those are badass too!
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Lol was that cuz of the odd linked headphone/monitor knob?! I hated it at first too, and ended up having to buy a remote controlled power switch for the monitors to keep from losing my mind. Ended up being a great workaround for me though lol.
Haha... Yeah, while it's easy enough to unlink them, I simply use an attenuator on my monitors too. Of course, I'd do that with any interface, not just the Tascam...
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Guru

I personally think the Line Link is fine, but I did pad the outputs down a bit with some Naiant XLR pads.

But yeah, I do have several monitor controllers here too, they just seem essential for any studio.

It seems like between the iD22 and the UH7000 you should be able to find one that you like enough as your small interface. They have strengths in different areas.
Old 14th September 2015
Here for the gear

I'm thinking about getting one of these units and had a few questions if anyone can answer...

1.) Would be replacing a Presonus FireBox (yeah, old)...curious of how noticeable the difference might be?
2.) Using StudioOne Pro 3 (under Windows 10)...anyone else use this with the UH-7000 and have good success / reliable performance / decent latency?
3.) I typically run through a Presonus Eureka with any Mic's / Guitars (which I would have to use for Guitars due to the UH-7000's lack of a Hi-Z..and my lack of a DI box)...and would (I guess) continue to do so...that said...any comments or opinions on keeping the Eureka in the chain and the sound of the Eureka's pre vs. the Tascam's pre?

Thanks Slutz!
Old 17th September 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

Any Steinberg UR28M users tried the UH-7000? If so, what's your take?

Thanks
Old 30th September 2015
Gear Guru

Steinberg UR824 and Tascam UH-7000 are both very high quality. Presonus interfaces are a definite step down.
Old 1st October 2015
Quote:
Hmmm...first impressions not so good for me on the UH-7000

How do I change the default sample rate from 44.1?? From what I'm reading, I need to open my DAW (Cubase) and activate a 48hz project?? I actually did that, but as soon as I closed the project, it went back to 44.1.

Kinda ridiculous....what am I missing here? It was super easy to switch sample rates on my EMU 1212m.
How does the D/A compare between the 1212M and the UH 7000
Old 1st October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodebode View Post
How does the D/A compare between the 1212M and the UH 7000
It was pretty difficult for me to A/B the two, as it required some cable switching to go back-n-forth. Also, my 1212m's TRS outputs went into a Presonus HP4 so that I could control monitor & headphone mixes. I was always uncertain whether the HP4 colored the sound at all...most sources online said I "shouldn't worry" lol.

That said, I did notice more depth and clarity in the mids to low-mids in the UH-7k after several A/B attempts. I guess it could be said that the 1212m's got a great converter on it too...its rep is pretty stellar among those who still stand by it (and the 1616m).

And for what it's worth, I have the UH-7k routed as an outboard converter through the 1212m's SPDIF I/O--I prefer the EMU's driver & Patchmix DSP better than the Tascam's. I do love the Tascam though, and am glad I made the purchase! It integrates into my system well now that I've made a couple of tweaks!
Old 1st October 2015
Thanks Jxxxxx
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
It was pretty difficult for me to A/B the two, as it required some cable switching to go back-n-forth. Also, my 1212m's TRS outputs went into a Presonus HP4 so that I could control monitor & headphone mixes. I was always uncertain whether the HP4 colored the sound at all...most sources online said I "shouldn't worry" lol.

That said, I did notice more depth and clarity in the mids to low-mids in the UH-7k after several A/B attempts. I guess it could be said that the 1212m's got a great converter on it too...its rep is pretty stellar among those who still stand by it (and the 1616m).

And for what it's worth, I have the UH-7k routed as an outboard converter through the 1212m's SPDIF I/O--I prefer the EMU's driver & Patchmix DSP better than the Tascam's. I do love the Tascam though, and am glad I made the purchase! It integrates into my system well now that I've made a couple of tweaks!
I use mine the same way as an SPDIF expander, but I have also used the Tascam drivers now and again, even though their latency performance is on the slow side.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Here's a doozy...

Has anyone tried using the UH-7000 (or any interface for that matter) on both a Windows PC and Macbook OSX? I'd like to be able to go back-n-forth, but have never tried before.

I'm primarily W7 x64 PC-based, but have recently scored a MBP. My first attempts to connect to the MBP (Yosemite 10.10) with the Mac drivers and all were not good...either NO or sh*tty sound.

That's when I noticed that I may need the OSX FIRMWARE too?? I scrolled down further and saw V1.07 Firmware for OSX :P
Product: UH-7000 | TASCAM

Again, I've never tried to use an interface cross-platform before, and assumed the firmware stayed the same. Is this standard procedure? Any simple way to switch the firmware back-and-forth, and is it advised against?

THANKS!!
Old 7th October 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is this standard procedure?
No, definitely not. I've never heard of such a thing before.

Last edited by Tui; 7th October 2015 at 02:27 AM..
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's when I noticed that I may need the OSX FIRMWARE too?? I scrolled down further and saw V1.07 Firmware for OSX :P
Product: UH-7000 | TASCAM
Firmware is the same, you can only download it with two different updater programs - first for Windows, second for OS X.
You would upgrade firmware only once and then it isn't necessary to do it anymore.. used operating system doesn't matter.

Michal
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Firmware is the same, you can only download it with two different updater programs - first for Windows, second for OS X.
You would upgrade firmware only once and then it isn't necessary to do it anymore.. used operating system doesn't matter.

Michal
Are you saying that I can install both firmwares? Windows first, then OS X second?

Maybe it's the language...I just want to be clear.

Thanks!
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you saying that I can install both firmwares? Windows first, then OS X second?

Maybe it's the language...I just want to be clear.

Thanks!
No, its just one time procedure.. and firmware content is the same. Operating system doesn't matter. If you prefer to do firmware upgrade from Mac OS X, do it by Mac updater. If you prefer Windows, do it by Windows updater. Firmware will be programmed into UH7000 hardware and that's it, from that moment you can forget about it.

Of course, you have to install normal drivers for UH7000 to each system for its normal use, but this has nothing to do with firmware update procedure.

Also firmware update is from last year, so if you'll probably get it already loaded to your UH7000, if you purchase it now.

I hope it makes sense,

Michal
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

^^ Ahh ok that makes sense. If I'm installing the firmware from a Mac, I use the Mac firmware & vice versa if I'm installing from Windows....duh lol!

Thanks....I guess I'll have to figure out another reason why this UH-7000 works great in W7, but not in OSX :(
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
I tried the UH7000, I really did. Just had way too many shortcomings/work arounds to deal with even in spite of the great sound quality and price. It took almost blowing up my monitors for me finally throw in the towel. Picked up an Audient ID22 and have not been happier.
I was thinking about getting Tascam but after reading all these negative comments Im not so convinced anymore, also the price is higher than Audient's id22.

How do you think the converters compare to Tascam's version?
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
...the price is higher than Audient's id22.

U mean the id14.

id14 < Uh-7k < id22

Most ppl are giving a nod to the 7k's converters, from what I've read.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
U mean the id14.

id14 < Uh-7k < id22

Most ppl are giving a nod to the 7k's converters, from what I've read.
Here in Europe the UH seems to be more expensive than id22.
Old 7th October 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
They both use the same chip (BurrBrown PCM4220) and any differences that people are hearing are most likely due to the different preamp designs (which you can't take out of the loop on the Tascam if using an outboard preamp or a line level source like a synth).

As usual, I'd say go for the interface that has the connectivity and workflow that works best for you, neither of those is going to make or break a recording (they're both good enough and won't replace good mic placement and good room acoustics).

I can't imagine not having a dedicated monitor volume knob + another one for headphones, the ability to send a different mix to said headphones, an ADAT input and output and a built-in high-quality DI, so the UH7000 was a no-go for me.

Of course, there's a bunch of reason why someone would prefer the workflow of the UH7000, but agonizing over minute differences in conversion is a waste of energy IMHO considering they use the same chip.
If that's your priority, then go all out on the new RME Babyface Pro or an Apollo.
Old 7th October 2015
I have to say while the ID22 and the UH7000 are high quality pieces of gear, I have to definitely give the edge to the UH7000 on the sonic side. Driver wise / Latency if you use lots of plugins, it can be a headache - which is why several people use it standalone via spdif/aes to their interface. I've had the RME UFX, Apollo Duo Firewire, Audient (ID14 & ID22), and as of now the Apogee Quartet, and prefer the DA of the UH7000 over all of them. The headphone DA is incredible. While the UH7000 and the ID22 uses the burr brown converter, it's not all just about the chips. Several interfaces out there use the same converter, and they sound nothing alike. I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info folks!

Im currently using Steinberg's MR816X and it has served me well during the years but unfortunately firewire is becoming obsolete nowadays. In the past I had Apogee Duet before this but I replaced it with the current one because I temporarily changed to Windows.

I think that I may still continue with this current system at least for a while and then return to see if there are new products available.
Old 7th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the info folks!

Im currently using Steinberg's MR816X and it has served me well during the years but unfortunately firewire is becoming obsolete nowadays. In the past I had Apogee Duet before this but I replaced it with the current one because I temporarily changed to Windows.

I think that I may still continue with this current system at least for a while and then return to see if there are new products available.
I would highly recommend the UR824 if you need USB and more channels than the small interfaces being discussed.
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxmaestro View Post
I have to say while the ID22 and the UH7000 are high quality pieces of gear, I have to definitely give the edge to the UH7000 on the sonic side. Driver wise / Latency if you use lots of plugins, it can be a headache - which is why several people use it standalone via spdif/aes to their interface.
Can anyone recommend a low-latency interface with spdif/aes out that would pair well with the UH-7000. I'm intrigued by the idea of combining the high quality DAC of the UH-7000 with improved latency of a 3rd party interface, as long as it's not cost prohibitive (I don't fancy paying as much for a low-latency interface whose DAC I'm never going to listen to).
Old 8th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximalC View Post
Can anyone recommend a low-latency interface with spdif/aes out that would pair well with the UH-7000. I'm intrigued by the idea of combining the high quality DAC of the UH-7000 with improved latency of a 3rd party interface, as long as it's not cost prohibitive (I don't fancy paying as much for a low-latency interface whose DAC I'm never going to listen to).
Not sure if you have firewire ports or not, but I've gotten very good results with the TC electronics impact twin, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, and decent results with the Maudio Profire 610 as far as latency is concerned. On usb, I pondered the Steinberg ur28m, but never actually got around to getting it.
Old 8th October 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
My vote would be the Roland Quad-Capture, you'd need some kind of XLR to Coaxial adapter but I don't know of affordable interface that has digital I/O on XLR (except the UH7000 itself).
Either way, I used to own the Octa-Capture and the drivers were solid and the latency low.
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you hunt for lowest latency and working on normal desktop computer, I would check internal cards with digital I/O..
Any suitable used card from RME HDSP or HDSPe range (eg. AES models, AiO, 9632).. sometimes it can be spotted for very good price (eg sub 500USD).. especially older PCI models, which are still fully supported and performs great.

Another choice can be ESI [email protected] or [email protected] XTe.. also very good performance.

Michal
Old 8th October 2015
JAT
Lives for gear
First, the UH-7000 doesn't have unusable latency. Out of the box I am about 10 ms of round trip latency. Which used to be the rtl for my TC Konnect 48 over FW. The last drivers for it got that down to 4-5 ms. So if I need it I use the 7000 through the TCK (or need more than stereo in). The 7000 is flexible w/ switchable AES or Spdif signal out of the XLR. Lynx has $10 digital XLR to rca cables on site. Most of the time I just use the 7000 via USB, since I'm use to working at higher latencies.

As to the one knob - I've tried to blow my speakers once but I listen at moderate levels and have an amp before speakers with a vol. knob. But once is all it should take. That is all it took to learn me and I had my unit even before they were officially released.

I haven't used the other "premium" units but I'm sure they are all fine. It is a question of price and extra functions, where the 7000 rules as far as I can see. In fact, I'd like to buy another one - you can have a 4 channel system over USB by using the digital in/outs. I have have directly compared a Presonus FirePod and TCK and TCK and TASCAM as I stepped up my home studio. I could hear a difference between all three. Not a big one, but the step between the TCK and 7000 was more than TCK and FP. You and me can hear the difference but most people can't hear it in the final product. Still, hardware is where I spend my money because I like that 5% difference in quality between FP and 7000.

@
Old 8th October 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxmaestro View Post
I have to say while the ID22 and the UH7000 are high quality pieces of gear, I have to definitely give the edge to the UH7000 on the sonic side. Driver wise / Latency if you use lots of plugins, it can be a headache - which is why several people use it standalone via spdif/aes to their interface. I've had the RME UFX, Apollo Duo Firewire, Audient (ID14 & ID22), and as of now the Apogee Quartet, and prefer the DA of the UH7000 over all of them. The headphone DA is incredible. While the UH7000 and the ID22 uses the burr brown converter, it's not all just about the chips. Several interfaces out there use the same converter, and they sound nothing alike. I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war.
No flame war here.
But differences in conversion between various interfaces tend to be overstated a lot, often it's rather differences in preamp designs and headphone amps that people are reacting too. Especially in case where the ADC conversion is automatically "bundled" with the preamp as is the case here.

The UH7000 looks like a superb unit, but there are so many functional differences between this and the iD22 that I believe a purchase decision should be based on that more than the sonic differences. IMHO of course.

Obviously, considering the extra functionalities you get with the iD22, it's not really surprising that the Tascam beats it on the audio quality front according to some.
If Tascam was to release an updated version with ADAT I/O and proper volume controls, the tables might turn. Although for now I'm really curious about the new Clarett line, specs are amazing.
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
First, the UH-7000 doesn't have unusable latency. Out of the box I am about 10 ms of round trip latency. Which used to be the rtl for my TC Konnect 48 over FW. The last drivers for it got that down to 4-5 ms...
Excuse me for that, but your figures seems to be little bit suspicious.. IME such RTL (in and out) numbers like 4-5 ms are really possible to get only with absolutely best implemented interfaces (RME, MOTU), achievable either at PCIe/TB or at USB with custom chip/FPGA..
If UH7000 will be reaching it, it would be IMO absolute steal and everyone will be talking about it..
Btw. that improved figure, it is measured or reported? what buffer size and sample rate, did you used? Was it connected using analog or digital loopback?
Sorry about so much questions.. I'm genuinely curious.

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search