The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam uh7000 Audio Interfaces
Old 20th March 2015
Lives for gear

My UH7000 just arrived today! It was INCREDIBLY easy to get set up, unlike my Steinberg MR816. The sound quality is simply amazing. I do urban R&B and this unit just screams for the kind of music I create. Just for giggles I actually pulled the MR816 out of my setup altogether and I still think this sounds alot better than the Steiny interface. Most of my work is done ITB with soft synths and samples, so I have yet to fully use the pres. With all of the comments about latency, I truly expected to see latency in the use of soft synths, but I don't see any. Not sure how I can actually see it or measure it, but I can't tell any. Where are most folks finding the latency issues? Also, I keep hearing comments with some issues with "weird" sound from monitoring because of the latency, but I honestly can hear any. I'm going to A/B with the MR816 again to check.

Ist impressions are....WOW!
Old 21st March 2015
Gear Maniac

Nice to see all these ppl happy with the uh-7000 , i'm still real happy with mine.

As far as the latency goes, it's not bad for most use. Here's my take on it. If you are quantizing your midi information, then its totally fine. Even playing things like pads and a lot of synth stuff it is fine. The only time i really need something super fast and super stable like rme is for recording unquantized drums from midipads. For people tracking from microphones and guitars and stuff i would imagine the hardware monitor option would be the way to go.

That said with the latency on lowest setting, and sample rate at 192 its pretty good with latency. Still doesnt feel as good as my rme fireface, but it's not bad.

Because i do enjoy playing virtual instruments that feel like hardware, i'm pondering building a new pc , and installing an rme hdspe aes card and connecting the uh-7000 via aes. Latency problems solved forever Then all you need to do is add 30 more channels of aes converters in various flavors , and an ssl sigma
Old 21st March 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
Because i do enjoy playing virtual instruments that feel like hardware, i'm pondering building a new pc , and installing an rme hdspe aes card and connecting the uh-7000 via aes. Latency problems solved forever
Best of both worlds. I use the combo RME Digiface/Ross Martin DA for super-low latencies plus great sound.
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
press the "Line Link" button, hold it down until the LED comes on. Hold for 2 seconds then release. Now the headphone knob controls the monitor volume.
I'm still trying to figure out how to switch back and forth between monitor and headphone volume, but I'm afraid to even touch the button for fear of blowing my monitors or my headphones. So how does this work? Right now if I'm listening through the monitors and want to use the headphones, I first turn down the monitor volume and then hold down the Line Link button down. But after holding the button down and the unit switches to headphone volume mode, the monitor volume goes all the way up to max volume! From there, I try can only bring the monitor volume down by decreasing the volume with the master fader in the mixer panel? Then when I try to increase the volume on the headphones, the monitor volume is too low. So when I increase the master volume fader in the mixer panel, the monitor volume also increases?

How do I decrease the volume on the monitors and then increase the volume on the headphones (without increasing volume to monitors)? I'm struggling to figure this out. Are you just bypassing the UH7000's monitor controls and using an outboard monitor device?

HELP? I don't want to blow this up in the few days I've had it!
Old 22nd March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Best of both worlds. I use the combo RME Digiface/Ross Martin DA for super-low latencies plus great sound.
I hear you , at some point it just makes sense to get an rme pci interface and just get whatever converters you want to add, and be able to get different flavors.

I'm considering the hdspe aes , and adding more uh-7000's, and a da-3000 or 2. I like how the uh-7000, and da-3000 have aes xlr , it wants to team up with the hdspe. You could get 8 uh-7000's and an hdspe aes for about 4 grand. You could add whatever you wanted to the system really, burl b2, merging hapi, dangerous convert, etc.

how do you like the ross martin d/a?
Old 22nd March 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
how do you like the ross martin d/a?
Oh, it's fantastic. 100% stable with tons of i/o options. Sonically, I'm totally in love with it: Smooth, round, punchy and detailed.
Old 22nd March 2015
Lives for gear
So from what I can gather the analogue XLR outputs still have to pass through the A/D - D/A conversion, so it isn't a straight bypass. How much latency does this introduce while monitoring from these outputs? Is it too little to notice?
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice~! Guitar in stereo sounds cool. Yeah it should be easy to hook up a second one in AES using standard XLR cables and the right software settings.

I am using mine with an Audient iD22 which required a Hosa ODL-312 adapter ($80) to get them to talk to each other, but it's working out great.
I'm trying to find the right cable to connect from the S/PDIF out of my soundcard into the UH7000. An RCA S/PDIF to AES(XLR) male cable is hard to find. Is this just as simple as getting and RCA to XLR audio cable or is there some kind of digital cable i need to purchase to go into the AES inputs on the 7000?
Old 26th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Just what I was looking for, but wasn't sure if there were any kind of specific specs like ohms I needed to be aware of.
Old 26th March 2015
Gear Head

Hey Guys,

This looks interesting and it's cool to see folks excited about a piece of gear.

I record singer/songwriter type stuff usually all acoustic music. I have a bank of 8 hand made tube mic pre's that I love and a 2 channel DAV pre. Every once in a while we will track a full drum kit as well and I feel like I could use 2 to 4 extra channels. Do you think this would be a good add on to my set up?

I know it's an impossible question to answer but I was hoping to get some feedback if you have any thoughts. I would use it as a stand alone 2 channel pre only and probably put it on light duty work like room mic and such. I would use the big boys for the color and texture and to do the heavy lifting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Best,

Scott
Old 27th March 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
Thanks! Just what I was looking for, but wasn't sure if there were any kind of specific specs like ohms I needed to be aware of.
I would have thought 110-ohm AES Cable would be the correct choice. Why don't you send Sweetwater an email and ask them.
Old 27th March 2015
Gear Head

Has anybody used this as a stand alone pre? Mic to XLR in XLR out to patch bay.

I think this could be a great way to add two more mic pre's without breaking the bank.

My bank is already broken! :-)

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 31st March 2015
JAT
Lives for gear
RE: AES to Spdif cable - look for the Lynx brand. I got one for about $10. Works.

RE: using it as a preamp. Cool. It does go through the converter, but since that is pretty invisible you shouldn't have any problems. I know a lot of people look down on line going through preamp or conversion, but if you can live with that you'll have a pair of nice preamps. Better than anything else for $400.
Old 3rd April 2015
Gear Maniac

Regarding the line going through the preamps, i use it like this and it sounds amazing to me. I would like to compare it to the da-3000 to see if there is any difference , seeing as how the da-3000 does not have preamps and is just a straight line in.

Can anyone compare the sound of the line input recording of the uh7k and the da3k?

Speaking of the da3k , have you guys seen this demo yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_OflkX8y0
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Addict
With the S/PDIF, I can run the UH7000 at 96000? I'd like to run this through my Delta1010 card to improve latency.
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

I purchased a pair of Shure SRH 1840's and tried them with my UH-7000. I'm not sure if I have a defected pair, but I have to turn the volume on the UH-7000 almost to full capacity to get any useable sound. Does anyone know if the UH-7000 headphone amp is strong enough for these headphones? I'm also not thrilled with the sound of the headphones and feel like they are not worth $500.
Old 14th April 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodicmusic View Post
I purchased a pair of Shure SRH 1840's and tried them with my UH-7000. I'm not sure if I have a defected pair, but I have to turn the volume on the UH-7000 almost to full capacity to get any useable sound. Does anyone know if the UH-7000 headphone amp is strong enough for these headphones? I'm also not thrilled with the sound of the headphones and feel like they are not worth $500.
That doesn't sound right. With my UH7000 the headphone amp is clear and LOUD as HELL. One of the best headphone amps on an interface i would say. I don't have experience with those sets of headphones. Hope that helps
Old 14th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog27 View Post
That doesn't sound right. With my UH7000 the headphone amp is clear and LOUD as HELL. One of the best headphone amps on an interface i would say. I don't have experience with those sets of headphones. Hope that helps
The headphone amp is fine it is those 1840 headphones that were the problem. My M50's and RHM5's work well. I never have to turn the volume knob past 11 o'clock with those other two headphones.
Old 23rd April 2015
Gear Guru

agreed my K702 sound the best I have ever heard through the UH7000 DAC and headphone amp, plenty loud and deafening
Old 12th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can I ask...what kind of cans are you on?

Wondering how the UH-7000 will sound with HD600/650's or DT-880's
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
No the digital I/O has nothing to do with the preamps. With the right kind of cable (I think I posted it earlier maybe in another thread) and the right software routing, you can connect the UH-7000 in SPDIF mode to your MR816.

The most common thing to do would be to use the 2 preamps going to the digital out, that's 2 extra channels in your rig now, and the digital in taking your DAW signal from the MR816 and sending it to the DAC which you would use with the headphones and monitor speakers. So now you've got an extra pair of analog outs in your rig as well.

I think the UH-7000 is a perfect upgrade or expansion to any standard interface with SPDIF or AES digital. Why not max out your rig you know? You might be very impressed with the DAC and headphone amp, I was. I think I could actually do some mixing on this headphone amp with my K702.
What is the cheapest option for me to use the two digital inputs? I'd love to have my bass setup (direct and amp/mic) hooked up to the digital in's via a dongle or cheap preamp permanently. It was pretty frustrating as I got a stereo AES tube preamp and it didnt work. (a DBX 386). The digital input aspect must be broken on the DBX. At first I thought it was the Tascam but a replacement had the same results. It would not link digitally. (sorry Sweetwater)

So I sold the DBX on ebay cheap/advertised as stereo analog only (as I could not get the digital outputs to work) and Fed Ex smashed it up. I repaid the buyer. Fed ex sent it back to me and gave me a refund. Now I'm down to one side of the DBX working via analog and it's staring at me all bent up in my rack. Limping along with one analog input/output. Like a grizzled neighbors one eye cat that won't die. The kicker is I don't even know if it sounds any good. It does not sound bad. It seems to have a lot of guts/iron but I'm not sure what they are trying to achieve with it? It sounds like...Meh. No color, just a modicun of gain. There is the comedy gold by having led's under the tubes to make them look more vintage...

Last edited by thefyn; 14th May 2015 at 03:50 PM..
Old 14th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofunk View Post
I tried my Uh-7000 on studios Mac on weirdly enough it worked just fine.. Which is pretty mind buzzling, I've no idea what's going on in here..

Btw, while I had the UH-7000 at studio we did a quick A/B against RME Fireface 800 (the old one). UH-7000 came on top, it was a small difference (for some reason bass was more prominent on Tascam) but still we thought that UH-7000 sounded slightly better than Fireface. It would be fun to test the AD as well at some point..
Yep. I A/B'd mine with the RME babyface and the Tascam sounded better. A nice low end swing without being blankety. To be fair to the RME, it did sound better than the other options I tried. And it's easier to monitor with but it had to go. Also, what are they thinking with the breakout cable? How can a cable so thin not be a bottleneck/potential issue? When project studios are being put together, I don't think they first thing on somebodies list is a mic cable that looks like it should have earbuds on the end of it. For $700 I would have thought that would be more robust.
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Hmmm...first impressions not so good for me on the UH-7000

How do I change the default sample rate from 44.1?? From what I'm reading, I need to open my DAW (Cubase) and activate a 48hz project?? I actually did that, but as soon as I closed the project, it went back to 44.1.

Kinda ridiculous....what am I missing here? It was super easy to switch sample rates on my EMU 1212m.
Old 18th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how to switch back and forth between monitor and headphone volume, but I'm afraid to even touch the button for fear of blowing my monitors or my headphones. So how does this work? Right now if I'm listening through the monitors and want to use the headphones, I first turn down the monitor volume and then hold down the Line Link button down. But after holding the button down and the unit switches to headphone volume mode, the monitor volume goes all the way up to max volume! From there, I try can only bring the monitor volume down by decreasing the volume with the master fader in the mixer panel? Then when I try to increase the volume on the headphones, the monitor volume is too low. So when I increase the master volume fader in the mixer panel, the monitor volume also increases?

How do I decrease the volume on the monitors and then increase the volume on the headphones (without increasing volume to monitors)? I'm struggling to figure this out. Are you just bypassing the UH7000's monitor controls and using an outboard monitor device?

HELP? I don't want to blow this up in the few days I've had it!
I'm having this same problem as a new UH-7000 owner....cant figure this out

I'd like to run JUST headphones at times, and that seems to be IMPOSSIBLE, unless I'm missing something. The main outs are either "linked" to the headphone output, or are at a set volume--only controllable by the gain in Mixer Panel!!

From what I'm gathering, we need a separate in-line volume controller. Looking at stuff like these:
TC Electronic Level Pilot | Sweetwater.com
Dynaudio Volume Box | Sweetwater.com

But again...let me know if we've missed something. Bummed that even the Mixer Panel doesn't have an option to separately control the headphone/main ouputs if you can't do it on the front knob .
Old 19th May 2015
Gear Guru

The way I do it is just turn my speakers off when I'm in headphones only mode. Works for me, maybe not what you're looking for.
Old 19th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
I'm having this same problem as a new UH-7000 owner....cant figure this out

I'd like to run JUST headphones at times, and that seems to be IMPOSSIBLE, unless I'm missing something. The main outs are either "linked" to the headphone output, or are at a set volume--only controllable by the gain in Mixer Panel!!

From what I'm gathering, we need a separate in-line volume controller. Looking at stuff like these:
TC Electronic Level Pilot | Sweetwater.com
Dynaudio Volume Box | Sweetwater.com

But again...let me know if we've missed something. Bummed that even the Mixer Panel doesn't have an option to separately control the headphone/main ouputs if you can't do it on the front knob .
I was having the same issues and it was pissing me off. So I Jus went ahead and bought the TC volume pilot and all is well now! There are so many weird little omissions on this box that can be frustrating at times, but the sound quality really impresses me. Now if tascam would just update the drivers
Old 20th May 2015
m_b
Gear Nut

Reviewers have said the UH7000 is also an excellent DAC (sharing some key components with Tascam's consumer brand Teac's excellent DACs), and I was thinking about getting one for use both as an interface for recording, and a DAC purely for music listening on my stereo. But on the rear panel, I didn't see any RCA outs to connect a hi-fi amplifier, only XLR outs.
Apparently there are two ways it could be connected, with a RCA-to-XLR cable, or through a balanced/unbalanced converter box (cheap, +/- $50), which would seem the better option. Would any of those work? Most of all, does the idea of using the UH7000 as a DAC make sense, or am I better off getting two separate units?
Cheers,
m_b
Old 20th May 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

m_b, either will work. Depending on the design, the XLR outs may provide a slightly stronger signal than regular line level, however, if they do and your hifi amp doesn't have enough headroom, you simply back off the signal a little. Sonically, there shouldn't be any drawbacks.

As for using an interface purely for listening - why not.
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was having the same issues and it was pissing me off. So I Jus went ahead and bought the TC volume pilot and all is well now! There are so many weird little omissions on this box that can be frustrating at times, but the sound quality really impresses me. Now if tascam would just update the drivers
How's this one?

https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

It doesn't get ANY attention here on GS. Is it just a home-audio kinda piece?

THANKS!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search