The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam uh7000 Audio Interfaces
Old 21st February 2015
Here for the gear

The AKM 4114 is not an ADC or DAC, it is a transceiver. It is basically a digital audio interface, it connects digital sources and then it sends the signal (digital) for processing or converting (to DACs).

Last edited by roco; 21st February 2015 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roco View Post
The AKM 4114 is not an ADC or DAC, it is a transceiver. It is basically a digital audio interface, it connects digital sources and then it sends the signal (digital) for processing or converting (to DACs).
woops now I'm embarrassed. I need to look again, sorry for the misinformation.
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
woops now I'm embarrassed. I need to look again, sorry for the misinformation.
At least you didn't throw yours away like me.

Not really.

What about getting 8 uh7000s and hooking them up aes to a lynx aes card? 3200 dollars for 16 i/o with 16 mic pre's , not bad. If bhphoto was still giving away the free athmx50 headphones you would have had 8 pairs of phones also.

I still want to try out the da-3000. Now that Sonar can export dsd files you could get a sweet send and return for processing mixes with hardware if you had 2 units.
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
At least you didn't throw yours away like me.

Not really.

What about getting 8 uh7000s and hooking them up aes to a lynx aes card? 3200 dollars for 16 i/o with 16 mic pre's , not bad. If bhphoto was still giving away the free athmx50 headphones you would have had 8 pairs of phones also.

I still want to try out the da-3000. Now that Sonar can export dsd files you could get a sweet send and return for processing mixes with hardware if you had 2 units.
I looked all around and I swear I couldn't see BB or "burr brown" anywhere, maybe I'm blind, definitely a little mentally slow sometimes, jumping to that conclusion. The ICs might be labled "TI" now that I think about it, since they own that brand now.

That would be a pretty serious rig I think. It might look odd in the rack, but maybe not. I think these are about a 2U half rack size, maybe it would work out. I just hate racking stuff without ears.

I'm getting less snobby about preamps and more snobby about conversion. I would probably be quite happy to do a session on a rig like that. Something like an Apollo would still be cheaper though and much more compact, and you could add a few preamps, etc. The Tascam super-rig might sound somehow more impressive though? Somebody build this thing let's find out!

Last edited by monkeyxx; 21st February 2015 at 04:03 PM..
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

If you apply the settings with the UH7k plugged in to the computer using the driver, and then disconnect the usb , does it keep the settings? Could you set up multiples over aes without having them tied to computer and usb?
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Maniac

what about 16 uh7k's over RME aes pci-e , summed with an ssl sigma?
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
If you apply the settings with the UH7k plugged in to the computer using the driver, and then disconnect the usb , does it keep the settings? Could you set up multiples over aes without having them tied to computer and usb?
Yes once you hit "SAVE" I think it writes the current settings to the firmware memory. If you unplug it from USB, should save those settings. Pretty easy to set up, I guess.
Old 28th February 2015
Lives for gear

OK, my Uh-7000 pretty much died to day for some reason. No sound, can't put phantom power on.. I've updated firmware and everything. When I do play sounds from my computer the input leds blink a while. Not a very promising sign..

It's not that crucial since this was just sound card for home, but it's pretty irritating since I had to replace it once already.. We'll see if I can just return it and get my money back or maybe they'll send me just a third unit..

Sound is (WAS) brilliant though.
Old 1st March 2015
Lives for gear

I tried my Uh-7000 on studios Mac on weirdly enough it worked just fine.. Which is pretty mind buzzling, I've no idea what's going on in here..

Btw, while I had the UH-7000 at studio we did a quick A/B against RME Fireface 800 (the old one). UH-7000 came on top, it was a small difference (for some reason bass was more prominent on Tascam) but still we thought that UH-7000 sounded slightly better than Fireface. It would be fun to test the AD as well at some point..
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Nut

I've also got a UH-7000 recently and am amazed at how good it sounds.

To me, the fact that the preamps can't be bypassed has been a non issue. They are extremely clean & quiet. I have been using an external preamp (Avalon V5) on channel 2 without a hint of noise/color whatsoever.

I was also a little concerned with so many posts mentioning a somewhat lousy latency compared to other interfaces, but that has been another pleasant surprise. Drivers are pretty tight on the "lowest latency" setting, even at 44.100 Khz. I've been able to play guitars with a lot of plugins engaged on Cubase 8 without any audible roundtrip delay, something I couldn't do with my previous interface. You hit the strings and response is instant, with FX, i.e., no direct monitoring.

Wonderful product. I can't believe these are selling for $399 nowadays.
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

I just got one of these UH-7000's in the mail yesterday. The DAC in this thing is amazing compared to all the focusrite and motu interfaces I have had. Mixing on this will be a lot easier for me and I have already heard some errors in mixes I did on the focusrite converters. I was even able to hear some errors in commercial tracks I was listening to yesterday. Once I loaded the updated drivers and firmware and played with the mixer setup it was ready to go. When I first started listening I had it were both output channels into my computer were unlink. However, when I hit that link button to link them together I felt like I was in musical heaven! The depth, soundstage, and clarity of the DA is something I have been missing for so long. I can't wait to find time this weekend since I am going I I spring break to test the AD and see how it does with stacked vocals. I plan to buy the Audient ID22 as well but I wonder if the conversion of that unit is better or about the same? The UH-7000 is not that flexible as far as bypassing the pres and adding outboard pres. However, I believe I will keep it as my DAC for the Audient where I can use outboard pres off the Audient ID22. I love this UH-7000!
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodicmusic View Post
When I first started listening I had it were both output channels into my computer were unlink. However, when I hit that link button to link them together I felt like I was in musical heaven! The depth, soundstage, and clarity of the DA is something I have been missing for so long.
I actually think mine sounds better with the unlinked setting, but in order to use it like that it is important not to miss both channels pan settings and spread them out, otherwise you'll hear basically a mono signal output.

This thing sounds so good though that when I first got it I didn't even notice that the mixer was running in mono for a good 20 minutes or so lol

Last edited by Marcus Mars; 9th March 2015 at 08:07 AM..
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mars View Post
I actually think mine sounds better with the unlinked setting, but in order to use it like that it is important not to miss both channels pan settings and spread them out, otherwise you'll hear basically a mono signal output.

This thing sounds so good though that when I first got it I didn't even notice that the mixer was running in mono for a good 20 minutes or so lol
I just tried it in unlink mode panning one channel hard right and the other channel hard left and it makes everything sound louder and with more space. When I link the channels it takes the volume down a little but it puts this nice mellow or warm sound to the channels when linked.
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

Guys what kind of monitor control can I buy to use with the Uh-7000 and my studio monitors? I hate having to use the computer mouse to turn the volume down since the headphone knob does not control the volume.
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Guys what kind of monitor control can I buy to use with the Uh-7000 and my studio monitors? I hate having to use the computer mouse to turn the volume down since the headphone knob does not control the volume.
press the "Line Link" button, hold it down until the LED comes on. Hold for 2 seconds then release. Now the headphone knob controls the monitor volume.
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
press the "Line Link" button, hold it down until the LED comes on. Hold for 2 seconds then release. Now the headphone knob controls the monitor volume.
Thanks monkeyxx! How are your thoughts on this UH-7000 vs the ID22 after having it for awhile? I am still going to get the ID22 but I see with it being about two years old Audient maybe working on something new to replace it.
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Guru

I have been doing a lot more listening (and guitar playing) than recording lately so I have been using the Tascam a lot more lately, as a DAC and monitor volume controller. It's fabulous.

I have not really put the Audient into heavy use yet, but I'm expecting to do some serious tracking with it in the next couple weeks. The DAC on the Tascam is just better for pure listening.

As a tracking device, the Audient might have some advantages with the ADAT input, discrete preamps, DI input, etc.

I guess that's how I see it. Tascam wins for listening. Audient maybe wins for input.
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have been doing a lot more listening (and guitar playing) than recording lately so I have been using the Tascam a lot more lately, as a DAC and monitor volume controller. It's fabulous.

I have not really put the Audient into heavy use yet, but I'm expecting to do some serious tracking with it in the next couple weeks. The DAC on the Tascam is just better for pure listening.

As a tracking device, the Audient might have some advantages with the ADAT input, discrete preamps, DI input, etc.

I guess that's how I see it. Tascam wins for listening. Audient maybe wins for input.
I was thinking about picking one of these out to use as a DAC and headphone amp. I currently have a Steinberg MR816, but wanted something like the UH7000 as a DAC between the Steiny and the monitors, sorta like a poor man's Benchmark DAC-1. Problem is I understand you can't bypass the preamps? I was thinking about going from the digital outs of the MR816 into digital ins on the UH7000, then to my monitors. Does the digital in on the UH7000 also route through the preamp?
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
I was thinking about picking one of these out to use as a DAC and headphone amp. I currently have a Steinberg MR816, but wanted something like the UH7000 as a DAC between the Steiny and the monitors, sorta like a poor man's Benchmark DAC-1. Problem is I understand you can't bypass the preamps? I was thinking about going from the digital outs of the MR816 into digital ins on the UH7000, then to my monitors. Does the digital in on the UH7000 also route through the preamp?
No the digital I/O has nothing to do with the preamps. With the right kind of cable (I think I posted it earlier maybe in another thread) and the right software routing, you can connect the UH-7000 in SPDIF mode to your MR816.

The most common thing to do would be to use the 2 preamps going to the digital out, that's 2 extra channels in your rig now, and the digital in taking your DAW signal from the MR816 and sending it to the DAC which you would use with the headphones and monitor speakers. So now you've got an extra pair of analog outs in your rig as well.

I think the UH-7000 is a perfect upgrade or expansion to any standard interface with SPDIF or AES digital. Why not max out your rig you know? You might be very impressed with the DAC and headphone amp, I was. I think I could actually do some mixing on this headphone amp with my K702.
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
No the digital I/O has nothing to do with the preamps. With the right kind of cable (I think I posted it earlier maybe in another thread) and the right software routing, you can connect the UH-7000 in SPDIF mode to your MR816.

The most common thing to do would be to use the 2 preamps going to the digital out, that's 2 extra channels in your rig now, and the digital in taking your DAW signal from the MR816 and sending it to the DAC which you would use with the headphones and monitor speakers. So now you've got an extra pair of analog outs in your rig as well.

I think the UH-7000 is a perfect upgrade or expansion to any standard interface with SPDIF or AES digital. Why not max out your rig you know? You might be very impressed with the DAC and headphone amp, I was. I think I could actually do some mixing on this headphone amp with my K702.
Thanks for the response, but I'm a l'il slow on understanding how to configure this with my MR816. Can you please clarify the following:
1. "The most common thing to do would be to use the 2 preamps going to the digital out".
If I plug mics into the 2 preamps, why would route the signal to the digital out and if that's correct, where would the digital out then go?

2. "and the digital in taking your DAW signal from the MR816 and sending it to the DAC which you would use with the headphones and monitor speakers"
If I take the DAW signal from the MR816 into the uH7000 and plug my monitors into the analog outs on the uH7000, how would I now have an extra pair of analog outs in your rig as well?, since the analog outs would be used going to my monitors?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I think I'm going to love this unit. I just pulled the trigger on one of these!
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Addict
Just want to confirm, I cannot use the preamps and the line ins at the same time? Needs to be preamps and the AES ?
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the response, but I'm a l'il slow on understanding how to configure this with my MR816. Can you please clarify the following:
1. "The most common thing to do would be to use the 2 preamps going to the digital out".
If I plug mics into the 2 preamps, why would route the signal to the digital out and if that's correct, where would the digital out then go?

2. "and the digital in taking your DAW signal from the MR816 and sending it to the DAC which you would use with the headphones and monitor speakers"
If I take the DAW signal from the MR816 into the uH7000 and plug my monitors into the analog outs on the uH7000, how would I now have an extra pair of analog outs in your rig as well?, since the analog outs would be used going to my monitors?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! I think I'm going to love this unit. I just pulled the trigger on one of these!
2. yes, your extra analog outputs are being used for your speakers. I assume you were using a different pair of analog outputs before.

1. the digital OUT of the Tascam would go to the digital IN of your steinberg. just basic signal flow stuff IN->OUT and OUT->IN
Old 13th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
Just want to confirm, I cannot use the preamps and the line ins at the same time? Needs to be preamps and the AES ?
I believe the Line Inputs on the UH-7000 are just a slightly padded input that feeds directly to the preamps, which are very transparent.

That is correct, you cannot bypass the preamps, and the line inputs go through the preamps and then into the ADC. there is no way to separate anything. I guess the Audient has the advantage there with its inserts.
Old 14th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
2. yes, your extra analog outputs are being used for your speakers. I assume you were using a different pair of analog outputs before.

1. the digital OUT of the Tascam would go to the digital IN of your steinberg. just basic signal flow stuff IN->OUT and OUT->IN
Thanks again for the response! This really helps me.

One other question: Are you using the USB connection? Does it pass audio to the card and from the computer?
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks again for the response! This really helps me.

One other question: Are you using the USB connection? Does it pass audio to the card and from the computer?
Yes when I'm just in hangin' out, listening to jams mode, I use the USB interface on the UH-7000 so it function as a basic computer sound card. No problems there it's pretty reliable in USB mode. I also tracked 3 songs with a singer-songwriter using it as a USB interface and had no troubles. The software is very straightforward and easy to grasp compared to something like a Steinberg with page after page of settings. It's pretty basic stuff, but it eh, gets the job done?

Last edited by monkeyxx; 15th March 2015 at 03:58 PM..
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

Has anyone else had sample rate issues with their UH-7000? Whenever I have it set to 48K or higher the audio plays faster and at a higher pitch. I recorded a instrumental today at 24bit 48k and while it sounded normal when recording once it was exported it sounded completely different. I even played some music I have recorded before and same thing happens. I noticed the same thing on Youtube as well where the audio will be faster and at a different pitch. Is this normal or should I send my unit back for replacement? I have only had it a week.
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Has anyone else had sample rate issues with their UH-7000? Whenever I have it set to 48K or higher the audio plays faster and at a higher pitch. I recorded a instrumental today at 24bit 48k and while it sounded normal when recording once it was exported it sounded completely different. I even played some music I have recorded before and same thing happens. I noticed the same thing on Youtube as well where the audio will be faster and at a different pitch. Is this normal or should I send my unit back for replacement? I have only had it a week.
Bump???
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

Samash is selling the Tascam UH-7000 for $349 until the end of the month. It is a steal!
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear

Why you want to might consider a linear power supply - if you measure ultrasonic noise on the UH7000 after warm-up. MEASUREMENTS: Tascam UH-7000 USB Interface (Part II: As an ADC)
Old 18th March 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Samash is selling the Tascam UH-7000 for $349 until the end of the month. It is a steal!
I would recommend that deal to anyone! This is pro gear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search