The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tascam uh7000 Audio Interfaces
Old 12th January 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka View Post
Tui, there's Clarett OctoPre, which is a standalone version with ADAT I/O.

https://global.focusrite.com/mic-pres/clarett-octopre
I see!
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Right.

Would you know, does your Clarett work in standalone mode..?
I haven't tried that yet... but it should according to Focusrite.

The Clarett OctoPre is indeed very appealing.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Head

A lot has been said about the poor latency of the UH-7000. When does that come into play exactly? How do you work around it?
Old 20th January 2017
Here for the gear
If you use the Tascam as a dac and a preamp with its digital ins and outs latency is not an issue : because I use an Rme Raydat , totally digital sound card, that is what determines the latency and not the Tascam. And since the Raydat has some of the best latency available then it's win win .if you are using heavy vst projects I would go this way but for singing song writers the latency of the Tascam would be fine .

Thinking about upgrading the Tascam 7000 to an rme adi-2 pro as it seems to be one of the best Adda on the planet if early reviews are correct ....
Old 20th January 2017
P99
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaezusa View Post
A lot has been said about the poor latency of the UH-7000. When does that come into play exactly? How do you work around it?
If you want to sing or play any instruments and have your instrument go through the daw (computer and recording software), when your voice or instrument gets back to you in your headphones there will be an audible delay. This delay is RTL or round trip latency. It is so large a delay in the UH7000 that method is not usable.

I fixed it by returning the UH-7000 and buying a Babyface Pro. The Tascam is pretty much unusable as a direct guitar and amp sims interface. There is no high Z input required by guitars, it was crazy humming/buzzing, and the latency made it unusable.

There is a slider in the UH7000 software that allows you to monitor your voice/instrument without going the round trip into the computer. This has no noticeable latency.

Another weird thing is instead of letting you see the buffer sizes like every other interface, the Tascam only shows lowest; low; normal; high; highest latency when setting the buffer size with no numbers to show the size. Studio One showed RTL would be 15 msecs at lowest latency. My Babyface it shows 4.

The Tascam should not be considered as a music recording interface in my opinion. Poorly designed and missing way too much.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
As some other people have said, if you use the UH-7000 as an "SPDIF expander" with another master interface, that other interface is determining the latency. That's how I used mine with my Apollo.

But to answer your question, pretty much the only time latency matters, in my world any way, is when using virtual instruments.

Being able to play a grand piano, or drum kit, with the feel of a real right now instrument is huge, it's a game changer. But for this you need the right interface, or the fastest latest computer, and a fast interface. Probably PCIe would work with a lot of machines. Thunderbolt is the new external interfacing standard for low latency.

For years I was using slow PCs with slow interfaces, and virtual instruments were painful and sloppy at best. Since I got an i7 Thunderbolt rig going, with Apollo, and Clarett, suddenly I look at the computer as a legitimate virtual instrument.

Probably lots of people are used to recording with poor latency, since it's been the standard for so long. With direct monitoring, the old workaround, this makes monitoring live instruments pretty painless. But you're still not there for the VI stuff.

Also I will add that even at the lowest buffer, RTL latency on a Thunderbolt interface is still a no-go for me when recording, for example, a DI P-bass. I can still feel it as a weird slapback. Even if it's only 4 milliseconds.

So my answer is that direct monitoring is still the standard for live instrument tracking. And low latency audio drivers are the only way to record virtual instruments like drum samplers and pianos, etc.

Some people seem to be able to tolerate a little bit of delay, but I'm not one of them. The Tascam UH-7000 I think would be a pretty poor option for VI playing, but fine for direct monitoring, as has been mentioned.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Head

Did you get the Babyface Pro from McQuades? Now looking at Clarett Pre2 (but I have no thunderbolt), Apollo Twin (older dac, mic pre's?), ID14 (driver issues, latency). SPL Crimson (?). Looks like the AD-2 Pro is at least US$1600, a bit too much, but it does look great

monkeyxx - which Apollo product?

can the UH-7000 be connected to a Zoom UAC-2 which has very low latency? (doesn't look like it)

the other one I am considering is the Motu Ultralite AVB. Looks promising. Loopy gives it thumbs up.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Did you get the Babyface Pro from McQuades? Now looking at Clarett Pre2 (but I have no thunderbolt), Apollo Twin (older dac, mic pre's?), ID14 (driver issues, latency). SPL Crimson (?). Looks like the AD-2 Pro is at least US$1600, a bit too much, but it does look great

monkeyxx - which Apollo product?

can the UH-7000 be connected to a Zoom UAC-2 which has very low latency? (doesn't look like it)

the other one I am considering is the Motu Ultralite AVB. Looks promising. Loopy gives it thumbs up.
My friend in town really likes the Babyface.

I have a silver Apollo 8 Duo with the Thunderbolt 1 expansion card.

Both it, and my Clarett 8PreX, have RCA COAX SPDIF, which allows me to keep my UH-7000 employed in faithful service. Right now it's driving my headphone amps, and capturing my Mackie hardware instrument mixdown. Still like it a lot.

My PC has a Gigabyte motherboard with 2 Thunderbolt ports available. I would highly recommend the Gigabyte stuff if you're building your own system.

Those Zoom boxes don't seem to have any sort of SPDIF or ADAT/SMUX options on them, so that would be a no-go for an expanded setup.

By the way, you should check out the new MK II Apollo Twin that has just been announced at NAMM. Although it is Thunderbolt only, it will work with both Mac and PC (Windows 10).

I have no experience with the MOTU stuff but some guys at the R G O forum seem to like those a lot.
Old 20th January 2017
P99
Gear Maniac

No I got it from Longs.
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
As some other people have said, if you use the UH-7000 as an "SPDIF expander" with another master interface, that other interface is determining the latency. That's how I used mine with my Apollo.

But to answer your question, pretty much the only time latency matters, in my world any way, is when using virtual instruments.

Being able to play a grand piano, or drum kit, with the feel of a real right now instrument is huge, it's a game changer. But for this you need the right interface, or the fastest latest computer, and a fast interface. Probably PCIe would work with a lot of machines. Thunderbolt is the new external interfacing standard for low latency.

For years I was using slow PCs with slow interfaces, and virtual instruments were painful and sloppy at best. Since I got an i7 Thunderbolt rig going, with Apollo, and Clarett, suddenly I look at the computer as a legitimate virtual instrument.

Probably lots of people are used to recording with poor latency, since it's been the standard for so long. With direct monitoring, the old workaround, this makes monitoring live instruments pretty painless. But you're still not there for the VI stuff.

Also I will add that even at the lowest buffer, RTL latency on a Thunderbolt interface is still a no-go for me when recording, for example, a DI P-bass. I can still feel it as a weird slapback. Even if it's only 4 milliseconds.

So my answer is that direct monitoring is still the standard for live instrument tracking. And low latency audio drivers are the only way to record virtual instruments like drum samplers and pianos, etc.

Some people seem to be able to tolerate a little bit of delay, but I'm not one of them. The Tascam UH-7000 I think would be a pretty poor option for VI playing, but fine for direct monitoring, as has been mentioned.
Is there an simple PCI card that I can connect the Tascam to?
Old 23rd January 2017
P99
Gear Maniac

Is it worth it to buy a card? The best ones are from RME. I bought a Babyface Pro and returned the Tascam.
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Is there an simple PCI card that I can connect the Tascam to?
RME does seem to be the best option
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Head

Well I ended up ordering an SPL Creon.
Old 24th January 2017
P99
Gear Maniac

Enjoy your new interface and make some great music!
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post

I have the Clarett 4pre and when I am not miking my amplifier, for example when everyone else is sleeping in the house -- I use direct monitoring by using my same PEDALS into a Line 6 Amplifi TT using the Dual Twin Amp Sim (Twin Reverb). I connect the Amplifi TT's TOSLINK S/PDIF to the Clarett TOSLINK setting it to S/SPDIF. Its actually a nice low noise connection for my guitar.

But sometimes I use Guitar Rig's JC120 Amp sim with my same PEDALS and that works really well with the Clarett + Logic - I can't hear the 3-4 ms latency.

For Vocals I add a bus to an an aux track with reverb and output the reverb to a Clarett stereo playback (7 & 8) so that the amount of reverb can be set by the vocalist on an iPhone.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Hi guys, just wondered if anyone can help.

I'm using my uh7000 standalone into my SPL crimson. I currently have the da conversion working which is perfect!

Only problem is using the ad. Going out of the uh into the SPL causes the whole DAW to crash and i have to restart everything.

Strange how it's working one way but not the other. I set the mixer software as default.

any ideas? Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017
Here for the gear

I use UH-7000 with ASIO4ALL.
In 96kh, UH-7000 has 8.9ms latency but ASIO4ALL reduces it to 5.6ms.

I'm satisfied.
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

IDK....I never really noticed any latency issues with mine; but I rarely use more than 3 virtual instruments in a project.

I did notice a huge improvement using MCSS in windows 7 with it though.

I play my V-drums and trigger either EZD or Superior just fine.
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouryuukunn View Post
I use UH-7000 with ASIO4ALL.
In 96kh, UH-7000 has 8.9ms latency but ASIO4ALL reduces it to 5.6ms.

I'm satisfied.
Is it real measured (via analog loopback) or some reported value?

Michal
Old 23rd September 2017
Here for the gear

These latency is reported by DAW.
Old 23rd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouryuukunn View Post
These latency is reported by DAW.
O.K. then.. so in that case just be aware, those figures aren't accurate, because ASIO4ALL doesn't have any real knowledge about underlying WDM driver and hardware latency. There is some automatic guesswork happening, but if you want to know real latency, you need to measure that and possibly compensate it via latency sliders there (although this is also bit complicated, as you can't easily separate input and output latency from complete RTL measurement).
It's always kind of workaround solution and in most cases (excluding some super crappy pieces - like Lexicon Alpha), it doesn't bring anything over ASIO driver supplied by audio interface vendor. Simply because it's wrapper, which uses the same underlying audio streaming driver, which you can't magically turn to something with better performance via additional 3rd party software layer.

With regards to possibility of some improvement, it really depends on many factors. If underlying WDM driver allow to directly access its buffers and doesn't have any hidden ones (which is very common for USB interfaces, so it's always there and active regardless hardware being accessed via ASIO or WDM). Then you can cut down some latency via smaller buffer offset at ASIO4ALL level compared to vendors native ASIO driver.. However there's no free lunch and this might naturally lead to higher susceptibility to underruns and pops.
Furthermore, when direct access to WDM hardware buffer isn't accessible (means you have to disable it at ASIO4ALL options), then there is another overhead and whole streaming is less efficient (means more CPU cycles are needed to pass audio from DAW to ASIO4ALL kernel buffer and then to actual device driver).

So just be sure it's really an improvement, when you report some success with ASIO4ALL, because it's not really so easy as it might look like and magic usually doesn't happen.

Michal
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezed16 View Post
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone can help.

I'm using my uh7000 standalone into my SPL crimson. I currently have the da conversion working which is perfect!
That's how I use mine, as a DA to my RME Fireface UC. Works great in standalone mode that way. Are you saying the TASCAM DA is better than your Crimson? I find that surprising since I've seen good reports on the Crimsons converters here.

Quote:
Only problem is using the ad. Going out of the uh into the SPL causes the whole DAW to crash and i have to restart everything.

Strange how it's working one way but not the other. I set the mixer software as default.

any ideas? Thanks
Same problem here. Too bad because the TASCAM's Mic Pre's are quite good but the latency on the unit is terrible.
Old 24th September 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
That's how I use mine, as a DA to my RME Fireface UC. Works great in standalone mode that way.
If I may ask, how is latency when used in this way? Different from using the Fireface directly?
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
If I may ask, how is latency when used in this way? Different from using the Fireface directly?
No. At least not that I noticed. It may be a millisecond or 2 higher but nothing I noticed. When I get some time I'll measure it properly in a loopback test to see if there is any difference due to SPDIF out. Don't forget though, I'm using the Tascam in standalone mode as a DA only so a round trip measurement may not be accurate since it's only going one way.
Old 25th September 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
No. At least not that I noticed. It may be a millisecond or 2 higher but nothing I noticed. When I get some time I'll measure it properly in a loopback test to see if there is any difference due to SPDIF out. Don't forget though, I'm using the Tascam in standalone mode as a DA only so a round trip measurement may not be accurate since it's only going one way.
Thanks. I was wondering about D-A latency. I need low values for practising e-drums. I use a RME Digiface, however, for monitoring, I also use the optical out of my Mac which connects to a Ross Martin DA.
Old 11th October 2017
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

I'm a new guy here and overwhelmed by the tons of useful information you all provide.

Regarding the Tascam UH-7000:
1. Is there any way to use the LED level meters on the front with USB-Audio from the computer or do they only work with MIC-Input or analog inputs?
2. Do they work while using it as a stand alone DAC?

Thank you.
Old 11th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrookman View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a new guy here and overwhelmed by the tons of useful information you all provide.

Regarding the Tascam UH-7000:
1. Is there any way to use the LED level meters on the front with USB-Audio from the computer or do they only work with MIC-Input or analog inputs?
2. Do they work while using it as a stand alone DAC?

Thank you.
I'll try...

1. No, the front panel meters are input meters only. There are output meters inside the control panel software.

2. Yes, you can save your settings for the "Standalone" mode. Disconnect the USB from there, even, if you want or need to.
Old 15th October 2017
Here for the gear

You tried very well, thank you :-)

A little bit sad as I love the level meters. I hoped that I would see them while listening to music from the computer, too.

Another issue: I bought it 2nd hand and when I switch it on I can hear quiet electrical noise from the area where the power switch is. Is this normal? I only can hear it when the room is silent but I have no other device that makes this noise. The seller claims everything was ok before sending and is of no support / help - which seems the new sad standard nowadays.
When it arrived there was something loose inside as I heard it rattling and decided to first open it up before connecting to the mains.
I found a single screw inside which I removed. Didn't see where it was screwed in. After that I connected the device to the main and it works: Mic-Input, Phantom Power, Headphone out... (didn't try the digital inputs yet).
There's only this quiet electrical noise which I can hear from the case area around the power switch...!?

The headphone amp inside seems unbelievable powerful! :-)
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Guru

Mine doesn't make any noise. Could be a transformer vibrating?
Old 16th October 2017
Here for the gear

Than it seems to be a little bit impaired :-(

It's not the typcial 50/60Hz humming sound, it has a higher frequency and sounds like some buzzing!?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search